Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

the THRONE ROOM -- Questions & Answers

Replies

• Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Is is OK to have a thread on conceptart.org to help me out with the initial concept phase, since I'm not a seasoned concept artist? Is it OK to share on LunchCrunch? Or only Polycount?
    Sure, as long as you also post your progress on your wip thread over here.
    Ric3D wrote: »
    While browsing the WIP I realized my idea is pretty similar to an existing one. How exactly are you comparing the similarities? Would I have to change my idea to avoid being disqualified?
    It's up to you to see if the ideas are really too similar. There is a good chance the results will be pretty different from an artist to another even if the initial idea is similar.
    Hi, is Octane Render allowed for final shot?
    No, only real time engines (Unreal, Unity, Toolbag, etc.)
  • Bruno Afonseca
    A small throne room with a view to a very extense and detailed skybox would be okay?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Sure, there is no hard limit on the scale really. Whatever looks awesome :)
  • -FP
    Offline / Send Message
    -FP null
    Can we use pre-existing concept art or reference images and just recreate that environment with very little personal modifications, or is it mandatory to build something of our very own?
  • cromadbomber
    Offline / Send Message
    cromadbomber polycounter lvl 10
    -FP wrote: »
    Can we use pre-existing concept art or reference images and just recreate that environment with very little personal modifications, or is it mandatory to build something of our very own?

Wondering about the same thing.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Yes, scenes based off an existing concept are fine, but remember that one of the criteria for the jury is originality, so try to deviate enough from the initial concept to make it your own.
  • Atokal
    Offline / Send Message
    Atokal polygon
    Howdy, would it be alright to have a dead character, IE. the king of the throne was slain and is lying dead in the environment?
  • polytom
    Offline / Send Message
    polytom polycounter lvl 4
    ^ I'm wondering the same thing...

Would it be acceptable for instance, to have a few robots lying around, to emphasize the nature of the environment?

Nothing living, of course. More 'body props' than characters..
  • FTEntertainmentRiley
    Atokal wrote: »
    Howdy, would it be alright to have a dead character, IE. the king of the throne was slain and is lying dead in the environment?

In line with these questions;

Statues don't count as characters..... Right?
  • WarrenM
    Statues and dead bodies are fine, AFAIK. No LIVING characters...
  • Aerashi
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerashi polycounter lvl 9
    A dead Arthas would still be the character of Arthas though, I'd probably steer clear of dead humans until we got an official response. Statues and robots are quite different from human corpses :)
  • WarrenM
    Sure, wait for official word but this is a quote from the rules page:

"The environment can feature any number of props, statues, vegetation, but no living character."

Dead humans aren't living, AFAIK. :)

EDIT : Hey, wait ... zombies ...
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Maybe if the bodies ain't 'fresh' then its okay? ;)
  • AlexeyFanta
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexeyFanta polycounter lvl 9
    So, no living creatures/characters. How about skeletons/ghost etc ?
  • polytom
    Offline / Send Message
    It'll be good to get it confirmed, but it does indeed sound like any character models are fine as long as they're dead!

That could be very handy indeed for many narrative-driven environment's...

:)
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    No character is allowed, dead or alive, sorry guys. Allowing dead character opens up to too much potential abuse of this rule. The focus is on environment.
    I guess bones and skeletons are allowed as long as they are an actual part of the environment.
  • Overmind5000
    Offline / Send Message
    Overmind5000 polycounter lvl 11
    Characters from my understanding are unacceptable, but what about dead no-name beings serving no purpose other than to be a trophy? Mounts and stuffed animals for instance, or suits of armor from fallen enemies up for display.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Trophies seem fine to me, they are not full on characters.
  • web07
    can you make the throne room outside or does the finished project need to resemble a conventional room?
  • polytom
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this was already answered in this thread..

It can be a general throne 'area' I think.
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, the main reason for them to say "room" is more to help avoid people doing huge environments and ending up not having enough time to finish it. I believe that the main focus of the scene should be the throne, so ensure that the surroundings enhances it and doesn't take the focus away from it. Of course it depends on the concept.
  • benmerrick3d
    Offline / Send Message
    benmerrick3d polycounter lvl 12
    I am doing a video game style room, if I make models of some characters for example Mario are we allowed to use things like that? Thanks
  • cataev serj
    What is the final resolution and format of shots? And 3 beauty shots should have the same aspect ratio? Thank you.
  • Shiv
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    I have been creating a substance to manipulate at run time.

I created a variable and tried to update it in ue4 through the blueprints and the textures dont update until you physically enter the substance instance, click on the variable then click off in the substance instance, the variable has been correctly set by the blueprint. I can drag back and forth on the slider in the substance instance and it all updates as I would expect in the viewport. (For all variables)
    I tried the Gynoid substance demo with the robot lady and the levers, those are having the same issue as well, they wont update the materials until I mess with the variables within the Substance instance itself. (Not within the game)
    Is there a plugin option I need to enable, or maybe an option somewhere I am missing?
    Thanks.
  • Shurkuris
    Offline / Send Message
    Shurkuris polycounter lvl 3
    Not actually a question pertaining to the Contest, but can you ("Jerc" is who I see answering questions atm) update the first Post with your answers to questions?

Examples...

Q: Maybe a silly question ... are dioramas acceptable? Like, if you don't want to fill out a full environment background ...

A: Yes, dioramas are fine.

Q: I do all of my Work in Blender because I have the best knowledge of that program. Is this acceptable?

A: Sure, you can use any tool you like.

Q: Hi, is Octane Render allowed for final shot?

A: No, only real time engines (Unreal, Unity, Toolbag, etc.)

I understand you can't get all of them, but if their was a quick guide (For the majority of unique questions) we could skim on the first page instead of searching every post or asking the same questions already answered 50 times, would be very helpful.
  • Atokal
    Offline / Send Message
    Atokal polygon
    Jerc wrote: »
    No character is allowed, dead or alive, sorry guys. Allowing dead character opens up to too much potential abuse of this rule. The focus is on environment.
    I guess bones and skeletons are allowed as long as they are an actual part of the environment.

Hey, so just to make sure I am not breaking the rules. I wanted to add skeletons with some form of clothing/armor on them (because it would make more sense than just having a naked skeleton) would that be ok? >.>
  • Falconssj
    Offline / Send Message
    Falconssj polycounter lvl 8
    Questions: Can I use glowworms/fireflys in my project ? (to be the light project a throne room for ants)

Silly question: Is blender a real-time renderer?
  • nmglasson
    Can you please give me permission to start a thread on the competition? :D
    I need to post my log line and pipeline strategy before I forget or lose it :P

Thanks,

Nick
  • Goshi
    Offline / Send Message
    Goshi polycounter lvl 5
    Would it be ok to use some of the substances or materials, that ship with SD/SP (and or were bought from the lib)?

Maybe if touched them a bit here and there? Or vanilla?

kind regards
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Goshi wrote: »
    Would it be ok to use some of the substances or materials, that ship with SD/SP (and or were bought from the lib)?
    Sure.
    Falconssj wrote: »
    Questions: Can I use glowworms/fireflys in my project ? (to be the light project a throne room for ants)
    Silly question: Is blender a real-time renderer?
    Glowworms/firelflies seem small enough to not be considered characters/animals.
    Blender can be considered real time renderer if you take a screenshot of the viewport, not if you render an image through its renderer.
    Atokal wrote: »
    Hey, so just to make sure I am not breaking the rules. I wanted to add skeletons with some form of clothing/armor on them (because it would make more sense than just having a naked skeleton) would that be ok? >.>
    Again, skeletons should be used only if they are part of the environment, embedded in a wall, or a structure made of bones, or an old skeleton/bones lying on the floor, but no fully clothed skeletons that look like actual characters please.
  • geothefaust
    Offline / Send Message
    geothefaust polycounter lvl 9
    Blender can be considered real time renderer if you take a screenshot of the viewport, not if you render an image through its renderer.

So does that mean we can take a screenshot of any application's OGL viewport? For example Modo. I don't see a difference there personally between Modo, Blender or Maya if this is the case.

Thanks!
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Yes, any viewport is fine, from a 3d app or a game engine.
  • WarrenM
    Well, the rules specifically say "real time":
    3 beauty shots of the final environment taken from the real time engine of your choice.

Are modeling app viewports considered "real time"?
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    I don't think i read about that anywhere but, Are we allowed to Handpaint or is it pbr only ?
  • geothefaust
    Offline / Send Message
    geothefaust polycounter lvl 9
    Yes, any viewport is fine, from a 3d app or a game engine.

Awesome. Thanks. :)
  • arya-bagus
    Are we allowed to use existing meshes like the speedtree models in udk?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Odow wrote: »
    I don't think i read about that anywhere but, Are we allowed to Handpaint or is it pbr only ?
    The visual style is totally up to you. No restrictions, it could be entirely handpainted diffuse.
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    About about alive stuff, are small think like bugs, squirrel of fish okay ? Just small thing to gave life, not major focus point in the scene, small stuff or in the background stuff ( thing that could be just background painting for example a far away dragon you see from a window, nothing too much details)..
  • BradleyMJ
    Hi - cant seem to see an answer to my question - to re iterate is it ok to work in Z brush and composite a bpr render? thanks
  • IngBü
    I know that the submission requirements are only 3 beauty shots and a construction shot, but assuming that I'll be able to complete my project, I would really like to capture a real time video of my environment with animated camera movement, in a way for me to also learn some camera animation in UE 4.

Would such a video be considered as part of my submission during the judging process, or would the video be ignored and not looked at in addition to the still images?
  • KingUNREAL
    Are we allowed to have an outdoor environment that acts as a throne room for the character we've thought up? For instance, the theme we are going with is a character who does Prophecies using nature and being outdoors. Would that work or does it have to be a literal room?
  • BlueMir
    I'm very sorry but..I'm new here and i don't know how to start the contest. is someone kind to say me how to entry ? (My english is very bad)
  • Codyone
    Offline / Send Message
    Codyone polycounter lvl 15
    "No character is allowed, dead or alive, sorry guys. Allowing dead character opens up to too much potential abuse of this rule. The focus is on environment."

Are there hints allowed? like flesh or a tentacle a heart?
    Or only fullbody characters at all forbidden? Destroyed statue is no character right?
  • Benmx
    I cant see any attach images why?
  • urban_elf
    So I notice that a lot of people are doing a single throne, but I always think of throne rooms as having 2 (king and queen). My design was having 2 thrones, but I'd like to know for sure if that's ok. If not, can I have a second throne be more part of the background/less important? Thanks!
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    @Odow: Yes, tiny "decoration" animals or insects are fine.

@BradleyMJ: Real time renderer would be a screenshot of the ZBrush viewport. No rendering and compositing allowed, sorry.

KingUNREAL: Yes, outdoor is fine.

BlueMir: Simply create a thread like the others in this forum.

Codyone: Small body parts are allowed, statues of any kind are allowed.

urban_elf: Multiple thrones are Ok.
  • darkhemic
    Offline / Send Message
    darkhemic vertex
    I think I start working up some concept artwork for this contest and see what happens.
  • fsda
    I'm new to realtime rendering, would Maya Viewport 2.0 with DirectX11 be an acceptable engine to use for this contest?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    fsda wrote: »
    I'm new to realtime rendering, would Maya Viewport 2.0 with DirectX11 be an acceptable engine to use for this contest?

Yes.
  • Atokal
    Offline / Send Message
    Atokal polygon
    Sure.

Again, skeletons should be used only if they are part of the environment, embedded in a wall, or a structure made of bones, or an old skeleton/bones lying on the floor, but no fully clothed skeletons that look like actual characters please.

Ty ty