Home General Discussion

What is your dream studio/job?

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If CoD would have been released during the Quake 3 era, we would have said it's a pretty average FPS game.
    And if Quake3 were released today, it would be shunned as a substandard spam fest. I get that you don't like CoD, but it's really all about timing with these things.

I dunno, I don't like The Sims and don't find it challenging in the least BUT there are millions of people who do ... so be it. People like different things, move on.
  • ledyr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ledyr polycounter lvl 7
    My dream studio would be placed in a civilized and safe city near ocean/sea (beaches!) with a warm climate with no winters.
    Preferable average year temperature would be 26-30 C

the rest doesn't matter
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Youngy798 polycounter lvl 4
    ledyr wrote: »
    My dream studio would be placed in a civilized and safe city near ocean/sea (beaches!) with a warm climate with no winters.

the rest doesn't matter

Im the opposite, I would prefer it to be cold all year than hot, cool weather is nice.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18

the rest doesn't matter

Come to Los Angeles. It's november and it's still 22-25 C
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The downside is .. Los Angeles. ;)
  • ledyr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ledyr polycounter lvl 7
    aesir wrote: »

I wish it would be that easy :D
    I'm from Europe... studios here are either in rainy England or snowy Sweden
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator

hence... cruise ship!

I remember seeing some beach-side studios in Barcelona and Tel Aviv, but I think they all closed down now. Sweden can be very beautiful though, and the guys up in the north really know how to enjoy the summers! Winter, yeah it's cold, but you have a good excuse for staying home and playing all those Steam games...
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    eSports went from Quake 3 to Halo 2 to now Call of Duty. Ouch.
    You're comparing a game that was incredibly popular on PC, to games that are incredibly popular on consoles. The most popular esports titles shifted to Starcraft, Dota, LoL, and Counter-Strike. If you want to make an argument related to gamers' shifting interests in the competitive scene, then you could only say that modern gamers prefer watching and playing more tactical games versus in the past where fast paced action was the key.

As for that quote about CoD players not being "hardcore gamers" you linked me to, it is pretty common knowledge that the quote was taken out of context. Clickbait bullshit makes up a huge amount of gaming journalism and so it makes sense to see people jump into the anti-CoD circlejerk. The quote's actual meaning relates to the fact that many CoD players, only play CoD. They could put 1000 hours a year into the game, but they still only play CoD. I know many people like that, I don't think it's fair to call them any less than a gamer than anybody else, but the term "hardcore gamer" generally refers to somebody who will spend 1000 hours a year playing everything. The same exact thing can be seen with the people who play sports games, I know a ton of people who spend a lot of time playing videogames, but they exclusively play games like Fifa, Madden, etc.

As for CoD sales, I don't see why it's such a problem. CoD sales have allowed the devs to have a relatively stable working environment. While I don't play CoD much, I'm glad the talented developers can work without having to worry about losing their jobs in a month. I think many, if not most people in this industry would take stability over anything else in terms of their job since it seems to be one of the biggest issues within the games industry. The real dream many people could probably agree with is having a job that pays well, has good hours, offers good services, and is stable. If somebody could choose between a job like that, and working on a cool, unique, "never been done before" project, I think many would take the first option, although ideally a combination of the two would be the best.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky

get some solid freelance clients, move your ass to portugal or spain :P
  • ledyr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ledyr polycounter lvl 7
    Neox wrote: »

I was thinking about that but solid clients usually want to work with solid outsource firms ;/

so I guess should find that outsource firm ^_^
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    aesir wrote: »
    Wait, since when is LA civilized?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    LA has areas of civilization. Boyle Heights for example.

Or the small pocket that is USC.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    LA is awesome, ya'll crazy.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Neox wrote: »

I nearly moved to a studio in Mallorca, but the weather is shitty and wet there in the winter too, you know ;)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    ambershee wrote: »
    I nearly moved to a studio in Mallorca, but the weather is shitty and wet there in the winter too, you know ;)

as if being damp all year would be something new for you!
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I'm in the middle of my third winter in a row (I did a contract in New Zealand for a few months) :(
  • ledyr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ledyr polycounter lvl 7
    what studio in Mallorca? :D
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    Working at 343 Industries as Halo is awesome and I love halo longtime
  • Snefer
    Options