Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest

Riot Art Contest 2014 - Q&A

Replies

• katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    Would this be ok?
    You said animators can use whatever model they want, so this is not considered a team, right?
    FOR ANIMATORS!

After finishing my blockout I'll release a download link.
    If an animator wants to use my model for the contest, you can use the blockout to create a rig and animate. Later during the challange I'll release my progress so you can present your animations with my final model! :)

Sure. The model is not a factor in judging the animation at all.
  • Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl polycounter lvl 6
    Hi!

A couple quick questions about the environment art pieces.

First, I am seeing that many people, for the creep den are doing Jungle camps and/or the boss spawns like the Dragon's... But the original intention was a piece much smaller with a requirement of using a single 2048. I would love to do one of the larger set pieces as well, but am concerned that trying to tackle the dragon's den on a single 2048 with all of the trees and other stuff that will go along with it, will be pretty tough to do, while maintaining the asymmetric types of details that most of your pieces seem to have. Not to mention if we wanted to create a unique floor/terrain texture for the den.

The goal was to see a tree/bush and a rock. The rules state a 2048 texture for each item. You can create more assets than that if you choose and can use additional resources. Please keep in mind that having a rock with a 2048 texture sheet is not being very efficient.

So could we just get clarification on if the "creep den" is only allowed a single 2048, even if it is one of these larger set pieces???

Second question is concerning FX. If we wanted to for example have a fountain with water coming out of it or a torch or something... Should we just paint that fx idea over our final composite image, assuming that obviously if this was a real production piece, an FX artist would add that after our assets had been placed on the map.

We will judge only what is real. You can submit 2 renders. One with the VFX painted on so we understand what you are meaning for the final asset to be but please try not to make things too VFX heavy and take away from what you can do.

Thanks for all the answers!!

Looking forward to making some art! :D

Owl
  • georgecata93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello, i have 2 questions:

1. i created an account but i cannot create a threat in the illustration category to upload my process and artwork...is it because my account has not been approved?

Yes.

2. can i upload the finished piece(s) on my portfolio (for example) before the end of the competition?

Yes.
  • Tez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tez
    I have had the same idea for an new character skin as somebody else. The other artists entry is in the illustration category and I would be entering the Character art Category. I have no affiliation with the other artist and we both independently had the same idea. I wanted to check before hand if there were any rules prohibiting me from working on an idea that is very similar to another entry.

We are not factoring new designs in our judging so you are more than free to create what you want.
  • zuangster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello~

The animation segment mentions no post effects to any of the playblasts; however, are we permitted to add nurbs/polygons as props with transparency? In this particular case, I'm curious as to whether I can have it act as an energy ball/blast/lazer, I suppose akin to Syndra's void spheres, which are pretty essential to her kit/identity.

Thanks!

That is fine. Remember not to hide the animation which is what we are judging.
  • ttaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ttaylor polycounter lvl 3
    I am having the same issue. How do i get my account approved so i can enter the Riot contest?
  • ttaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ttaylor polycounter lvl 3
    Hi, I am trying to join the riot contest but i cant create a thread. I am pretty sure the reason being my account is waiting to get activated. How do i go about activating my account?
  • iteza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello I've a question for the Character Art category, are gender bend version of the hero/champion permitted for this competition?

Thanks

Sure.
  • rradulescu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for illustration, do you only want splash art or can I also do portraits?

Splash.
  • gunawanzx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow really exciting ... want to join too scared not finished so wip perpetual fear ... haha
  • GrantBTW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the character art, are we allowed to use a base mesh as a starting point for the high rez sculpt (like in the Heimerdinger rework video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S2ocU2i8yY)?

No. We want to see you create everything from scratch. This is where the WIP threads come in.
  • Ithalea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry if this question has been asked before, I checked the pages before but I might have missed it!

Can we include 2 characters in our animation?

Sure.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    I Know something similar as been ask but the answer was kinda " as long as it fit in runaterra" and that was not enough of an answer for me haha, so here's my question.

Does our environment stuff have to fit on the new summoner rift thematic, or can we do like an harrowing set, a twister tree line, or even a demacia set !?

Does the minion's den need to fit current existing monster or could we imagine a new time of monster living there ?
  • BilguunEscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BilguunEscape polycounter lvl 6
    How can i participate in this competition ?

Yes.
  • BilguunEscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BilguunEscape polycounter lvl 6
    So I can just submit and it is all done. Do I have to RAR my file or something.

All instructions on how to submit your finished work is on the submission page.
  • gseed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, for the illustration part, when you stated ;
    "This image should tell a story about something unique or powerful about the champion(s)"
    do we need to actually write the story / lore of the champion alongside the drawing of the champion we chose?

Thanks

No writing. The image should convey storytelling.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    I'm curious, does the "no teamwork" rule prevent 3D Artist making brand new models from sharing them with animators? Even if the two parties aren't collaborating?

Thank you!

You are not being judged on the model. Use what you are comfortable with.
  • chewie105
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chewie105 polycounter lvl 3
    can we submit multiple entries for a single category? between now and dec 19 is a long time and i draw too much. meaning i can get 1 entry every 3-4 days. i only expect to win once but can i submit multiple?

This is on the main FAQ page.
  • ColdWintersNight
    Are we allowed to make a model of another artist's concept art with their permission?

No. Please use your own ideas or simply use a Rioter's piece of concept art. We are not judging the concept.
  • Throbberwocky
  • pokpokthebitxh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pokpokthebitxh polycounter lvl 3
    how to delete my own post

Answer: You can't. Ask someone on the Polycount team do it for you by emailing wizards[AT]polycount.com
  • omare14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the animation WIP threads, what kind of updates should we post there? Movie files are not permitted as attachments, so should we just upload our Maya files or something?

video WIPs would be great.
  • LiamReynolds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LiamReynolds polycounter lvl 3
    In regards to the animation entry.

Does the animation have to be "game/in-engine" applicable, so quite short and responsive to the click of a button that normally follows attack animation constraints. As it only says keep in mind the games view. Or do we have free range and we can kinda make it longer, and more shot like due to it not going into an engine.

Keep in mind the game but animation quality is what we will be judging. In other words, do not make a 10 second ultimate ability animation.

i am just asking since theres a cool animation currently done, but people have commented saying its going to cost judging points due to it being longer and not following in-game animation technical standpoints. Thanks!
  • AdiiParab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdiiParab polycounter lvl 9
    hello, are Artist from India allowed to participate?

Yes.
  • Agrevain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agrevain polycounter lvl 9
    If I were to do a character such as Udyr, would I be able to include each of his stances? Or would that count as multiple entries?

You can just create one of them.
  • roMizuno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roMizuno polycounter lvl 3
    Hello!

2 questions here..
    -As for the Environment art Contest, does the Inhibitor/towers NEEDS to be purpler or blue team? Or it can be yellow, green, etc..
    And if we do can change the colors, do we need to show the base with the two different colours?

No. It is up to you what colors you use.

-And is the ground for the creep den part of the 2k texture? For example: if my creep den requires some mud or sand under it instead of the green grass from summoners rift, do I have to paint/model this ground and share that same texture as the other parts?

Thanks!

You can keep the creep den simple and just have a tree/bush and a rock overlayed on the sample background images. You do not need to create a ground texture. It is up to you.
  • MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Hello, for the Character Art low-poly models, what should the polygon limit be? Thanks.

We are not giving hard limits. We just ask that you are being efficient and make every polygon count.
  • THendersonVFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THendersonVFX polycounter lvl 6
    VFX Question: Do vfx that closely mimic or replicate Riot's current vfx art style and restrictions get a more favorable judging over those that are just super fancy? ex: Hand painted diffuse textures, no lights etc. over something with dynamic lighting and complex shaders?

This is a strictly art style question, assuming both compared effects have similar timing, impact and build up.

Yes. We are looking to see VFX that would fit into the LoL art style.
  • crownedking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello ^_^
    For illustration: Is it required to be a splash like the ones in the game? With one champion as a central focus point?
    Or can it be a picture depicting a scene, for example a multi-character fight scene, or even a picnic, without a 'main champion' as the focus?

Thank you! :)

It is up to you.
  • IoanChirita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IoanChirita polycounter lvl 8
    Can we post the image on personal blog/social media etc. before the contest ends?

Yes.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    For the animation section,

Is there a frame limit for either the Attack or the Walk Cycle?

No. We do ask that you keep in mind that LoL is a competitive and fast paced online game but we are judging the animation quality here.
  • DaeYoonHuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why I can not make my Thread in order to participate this contest?
    I even make a new ID for this, but it doesn't works just same like my old ID.
  • sgtscience
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sgtscience polycounter lvl 8
    Couple of VFX Questions:
    1. The progression of VFX is quite clear: build up, release, impact, however this seems to pertain mostly for a projectile type attack. What about other spells that are not really attacks and are duration based, such as Graves Smoke Screen, or a duration Buff like Nasus' Ult. Can we interpret the 'release' phase as the looping duration of the effect, and the 'impact' phase as the dissipation of the effect? Is there a specific duration you would like to see for the looping duration part? 4 seconds? 6 seconds?

LoL is fast paced and and effects need to be clearly readable and go away in a timely fashion when the effect has lost it's impact. You can use your best judgement here. Great question.

2. Someone else mentioned about adding rocks and debris as part of the effect and it was answered that these should be untextured. Does this also go for if you were re-creating Summon type abilities for Azir's sand soldiers, Annie's Tibbers, Yorik's ghouls, or Anivia's wall?

That is fine if you are creating all the textures yourself.

Thanks!
  • Carlo-Marcelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For Illustration, are we allowed to publish our finished artwork elsewhere as long as we note that it's for the Riot/Polycount contest? (i.e. publish on Facebook or Artstation before the submission deadline).

Absolutely.
  • KeeperOfTheSign
    If I want to make more than one illustration do I need to make more than one progress thread? Or do they all go in the same thread?

Same thread is fine.
  • TO23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!
    I designed a fan skin for a champion two weeks ago. Am I allowed to make a splash art for him and submit that to the Illustration category? Are we allowed to do that? I'm seeing a lot of those in the progress threads.
    Thank you!
    Tony Yin

Yes.
  • Arlequinne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arlequinne polycounter lvl 6
    Hi, After we finish the entry made for this contest, are we able to post it on our sites before the contest ends?

Yes.
  • Killkimber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the Illustration portion:

I saw in another question that Riot will own all contest entries... Does that mean that as an artist, if you enter a piece into the contest that you will be unable to sell prints of your work later on?

I am not understanding the question. The rules are simply to protect Riot Games because we are working on many things that could be similar to some of the entries. We will be highlighting winners on Riot and LoL social networks and sites.
  • ejdc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm from Philippines, can i join the contest?
    and also, is it ok if my lol account is on PH server (http://lol.garena.ph/)
    thanks.

Yes.
  • aestheticmachine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aestheticmachine polycounter lvl 10
    Could you explain the rules regarding rigged models for Animation? The answers were a little unclear.

I've read some of the answered questions - it sounds like the contest doesn't care if the model is Mickey Mouse as long as it's effectively showcasing a Champion's move and skill cycles.

However, if we DO have access to LoL models (via ripping etc) you are saying we cannot use them, correct?

Do not use any copyrighted materials. We also do not want you to illegally rip assets from a game and use that. We do not care about the model. Please use a simple rig with primitives or free rigs that are available online. We are judging the animation and nothing more.
  • Githany
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm from Ukraine,can I join the contest?

Yes.
  • CiaranD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there,

Question regarding the animation entry.

It's a little unclear, but when we pick a champion to use as the basis for out animation, must that character's weapons etc. be consistent with the existing champion?

For example in my WIP URL="http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142176"]Link[/URL I had an idea of a female character with a circular hula-hoop like weapon, but now I'm not sure that is applicable now as it doesn't feature in the game.

Cheers,
    Ciaran

I apologize if the rules are a bit unclear. Create unique required animations that fit within the LoL animation style.
  • Chrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, would it be possible to enter this competition with a cosplay, given that the character design fulfills all other rules regarding this category?
    Meaning I will design a new skin for an existing LoL character, post wip photos in the forum and enter with a high res photo of the completed costume.

No. That would not fit the requirements of the texture size, poly budgets and overlay over the map requirements.
  • SuperSoupy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperSoupy polycounter lvl 5
    Hi guys,

In Animation:

The rules state to animate "your selected character", but there's a lot of talk about "existing LoL champions" elsewhere in the forums.

Since there's no mention of LoL Champions in the actual animation rules, does our rig have to emulate an existing LoL champion at all? When you say "selected character" do you mean our selected rig, or the selected LoL champion?

Thanks for helping clear up this confused mind o' mine :-)

This was a bit confusing so we want to clear this up. Create animations in the style of LoL. We will make some tweaks to the rules and an announcement shortly so everyone is on the same page.
  • Djinnnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 wrote: »
    For the animation section,

Is there a frame limit for either the Attack or the Walk Cycle?

Hello! I'm interested in this question aswell. I read in a dev blog that for gameplay purposes it should not exceed 30 frames lenght.

Answered above.
  • gustavotorqueto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gustavotorqueto polycounter lvl 5
    I´m thinking about making a illustration of a Team! There is a specific number of champions? I mean should I follow the game and build a team of 3 or 6 only?

This is completely up to you.
  • Lhightblu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lhightblu null
    For character art
    Can we use a 2D front and side view of the 3D shaded (without wireframe) champion model as a modelsheet and come up with our own topology ?
    Thanks

I am confused about this question. Can you please explain further?
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 18
    Hi everyone,

At Riot Games, we have a very strong feedback culture. We pivot and make adjustments when things can be done better or are not working. In the spirit of this culture and after internal conversations with feedback from the community, we have decided to make some tweaks to the environment section of the contest. You can now choose to create the turret or the inhibitor rather than being required to create both. We want to make sure we are giving everyone enough time to create assets that you are proud of and able to finish in time for the December 19th deadline.

We are also tweaking the animation com petition and not have animators pick an established character since animating a specific character without the exact model will be difficult. We want to see solid animations that are keeping the animation style of LoL in mind when creating these ability assets.

We thank you for your understanding and look forward to seeing what you all come up with.

-Kenny
  • Jelligeth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jelligeth polycounter lvl 3
    I've noticed recently that a lot of the progress threads (Illustration in particular) have become critique threads. For the sake of clarity, would this not be considered "teamwork"?Especially in regards to paint-overs and "vote for your favorite version" type threads.
    If people get to "vote" on their favorite one of 4 or 5 different versions every step of the way before an artist proceeds to the next step, it seems more like teamwork than if an artist only posted linear progress and only takes the inevitable critique that comes from this.
    Just want to know where this stands in the rules, because if it's fine, I wouldn't mind benefiting from it :P
    And if it's not fine, what participants should do if their progress thread is already this way.

This is fine. This happens with all art contests. We just do not want people being hands on and changing the asset or contributing directing to the asset(s). Feedback is always acceptable.
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Im pretty sure it's fine. Similar to the above post, "we have a very strong feedback culture", I doubt that they will argue about it.

Correct. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.