Riot Art Contest 2014 - Q&A

Replies

• MattiasG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattiasG polycounter lvl 8
    Sukotto wrote: »
    Mattias, I'm sure they're just busy.

As far as the Rengar rig goes, it wasn't officially released but ripped by someone so I wouldn't use it. The rules state the model/rig doesn't matter so don't get hung up on using in-game models.

It´s just that I am close to done with the animation and I don´t whan´t to start over just because they change the rules in the middle of the contest :P
    I am done with my ulti attack witch I used Rengar for. But the cycle will be with another character ( not a game model :P ).
    Hope it wont be any problems. If I have the time I will enter with a whole new set of ulti and cycle, but I hope my first entry wont be disqualified.
    Would be nice to hear something from Riot games just to be sure.
  • Bishop313
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bishop313 polycounter lvl 9
    I have a question about my entry. http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141200

My goal is it to create a SiFi skin for Miss Fortune. Most of my work for this contest is free style in case of time, regular work bla bla....
    Luckily i recognized during my working prozess that MF's red hair i made is similar to Samus Aran her Red helmet. So i played around... put her green sunglasses on, put two bubbles on her shoulder and she got the shape of Samus Aran. A look a like feeling.
    I know that we are not allowed to use pre existing concepts in case of teamwork.
    In my case i dont use a pre existing concept. I appriciate that my work is original. Comming from my head done by my self. But i like this Metroid Suite similarity and i think its something cool for MF. She will still has her two handguns and not a blaster arm at the end. I only want to archiv this "she reminds me to Samus Aran" effect, like the first Olaf skin did this with the Teckno Viking. Or Ziggs as Witchdoctor. Thats also a pre existing concept with the goal to archiv a look a like feeling.

This are also good examples:
    http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140214194213/leagueoflegends/images/thumb/0/05/Vel%27Koz_BattlecastSkin.jpg/613x460x2-Vel%27Koz_BattlecastSkin.png = Matrix Octopus look a like
    http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100211032224/leagueoflegends/images/thumb/7/79/Rammus_KingSkin.jpg/613x460x2-Rammus_KingSkin.png = Bowser look a like

So is it or is it not allowed to orientate on existing characters, themes to get a look a like style/skin feeling with an own design?

That is fine. Being inspired is one thing. Copying a concept is another.
  • Kel-Shaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    hay can some one help with with images ? i tried uploading but its not working when i am trying to post my WIP'S

http://www.polycount.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_attachments
  • safian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

I wondered about 2 things in VFX category.

First of all, can I make some compositing stuff? Colour correction for example.

Another thing I was thinking is about presentation specific skill. For example I want to do Ziggs ult and for me I should add little hand which will throw a bomb. Or if i want to make Graves ult, should I make his gun?

You will be judged on the actual effects.
  • safian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

I wondered about 2 things in VFX category.

First of all, can I make some compositing stuff? Colour correction for example.

Another thing I was thinking is about presentation specific skill. For example I want to do Ziggs ult and for me I should add little hand which will throw a bomb. Or if i want to make Graves ult, should I make his gun?
  • FrankyG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick Question about this animation update
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2165158&postcount=251

So does this mean we can base our animations off of a champion that already exist but we are free to do what ever we please? We can pretty much come up with our own champion and animate their own unique walk/run and unique attack/ability?

Yes.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    Hello,
    I have a question on character guidelines. If we make a 2 part character set, for instance Annie and Tibbers, do they both need to occupy one texture sheet or can they each have a unique texture sheet?
    Thanks!

2 Sheets in that case.
  • Joostk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi I have a question regarding what Riot is looking for. I'm going to make a character piece.

Questions:

-Are they looking for a piece they might actually use? Do they want the artstyle to be as close to the League of Legends artwork as possible or do they actually like it if you have a different take on a character more?

Thanks

We are looking for assets that fit the general art direction of LoL. We are not going to use the asset but we are judging the asset fitting the overall style.
  • GOOMRRAT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how can i make a thread??

i want to callenge this contest!
  • Trik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trik polycounter lvl 7
    Can we post our wip images to our tmblrs and such?

Sure.
  • Krisowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krisowski polycounter lvl 4
    Hello, I have two questions about contest rules.
    1 I'm entering environment category of the contest. I have concept for turret, and inhibitor already. New rules are I have to create Turret OR Inhibitor, AND a Creep Den ? Is it possible to make Turret and Inhibitor, and ignore jungle camp? If i make three models, one will be ignored ?

You can create all 3 if you like and we will evaluate the creep and the best of your 2 other assets.

2 My friend wants to enter animation category. I know that work should be individual, groups are not allowed. Is it ok if he animates my scenes from environment and we both send it for diffrent categories ? We dont want our work getting rejected because of that. He will not help me with modeling and texturing and I got no idea about animation.

The animation contest is animating a character and not an environment.
  • ysack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysack polycounter lvl 3
    Hello, it is a simple question but still.... What if I miss typed the name of my thread. Is there a way to edit the name of it?

Thanks.

That is a polycount question. Either way, it will not factor into the judging.
  • AHand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AHand polycounter lvl 8
    I am thinking of doing the character Zed. I noticed there is a rendition of Zed created by an artist by the name of Eoin Colgan, I was hoping to mix his rendition in with the regular skin style. Is this applicable for the contest?

Eoin was the concept artist for Zed That is completely fine.
  • dary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dary null
    does the textures needed to be hand painted or is it okay like next generation textring?

Thank you

Hand painted.
  • Groven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,
    Regarding the location of the Creep's Den. Can I use any pictures taken from the update Summoner's Rift to "build in" the Den I make or only those pictures are at my disposal what we can find as reference images in category rules section of the contest main page? Thanks

Yes.
  • Krisowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krisowski polycounter lvl 4
    Exactly. Where can we find and download reference images in full resolution for environment ? For example i need to use Dragon camp. Cant find it over the internet in a good quality.

The images are on the rules page. You can click the thumbnails to see the high rez images.
  • Beovine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For character art, If I do Annie,
    The texture for both Annie and Tibbers should be in single 2048 diffuse sheet or need to separate?

Seperate.
  • Klemen96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi just a quick question, do i have to have a LOL account to join this contest? i did have an account long ago but i dont play the game anymore tho i did play a little 2 years ago with miss fortune...

Yes. Creating an account is free. One of the prizes (RP) requires an account.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Not sure if any questions are being answered but I had one for the character entries. I am doing annie and tibbers and have put both of them on one sheet. I wanted to do a modeled fire effect for annie for presentation purposes. Can I just put that on a 64x64 sheet on its own? Or do I need to squeeze that onto my base 2048 as well?

Thanks!

Separate sheets. Squeeze in the fire.
  • MGrecke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MGrecke polycounter lvl 7
    Hey, I had a question about this "You can use official concept art. You are not allowed to use fan art that has already been created. This is in essence working as a team. Official or your own designs only.."
    But the other way around and I guess its the same rule, can I do an entry for the illustration section using someones entry for the character art section?

No. You can use official illustrations.
  • Mokia_Sinhall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    About animation:
    Does it have to be a biped character?

No.
  • synaps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a question about the illustration. Is the display of small amounts of blood allowed ? Or is it potentially hurting my chances if there is a spurt of blood in my illustration ?

It will not hurt your chances.
  • kimnken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello. i'm vfx artist.
    must be create a vfx about LoL?

The style should match the art direction of LoL.
  • alex87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alex87 polycounter lvl 8
    Hello, sorry if this question has been done before and for my english.
    About the ENVIRONMENT ART, you say that you want a "Texture Sheets showing a good demonstration of economical UV space"; usually i use a single material for each kind of item (one material for the rock, one for the wood etc.) and so i will have different UV layout, each one with different texture (one sheet for the rock, one for the wood etc.).
    Do you want a single sheet for all the item or it's ok if i send to you multiple texture sheet?

Try and use one sheet for each of the assets if you can. Efficiency is king here.
  • Xiolee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pretty excited about this!

We are as well!
  • nikos667
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A good idea is counting more than a simple ordinary one?Or it's heavily based technical stuff like topology/uvs etc. and the feel of design doesn't matter at all?

I do not understand your questions.
  • eric631223
    Options
    Offline / Send Message