Home General Discussion

Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah, nothing wrong with playing in easy since the campaign is a linear experience anyways ! And I don't think the AI is any different between the different difficulty modes, right ?
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    In easy mode, the enemies are really dumbass, they don't aim well, and you can receive a huge amount of shots without dying. But well, i recommend you to try it and see it by yourself. L4D 1 & 2 are good examples of challenging games in the hardest mode.

Some people don't like to play a more realistic experience, as a soldier avoiding every bullet, because with just 2 lost bullets you eat ground, you die :). The experience in veteran mode is like to play against real people but with insane skills.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    It's quite interesting actually - I personally find zero enjoyment in playing that kind of game on hard difficulty. I understand the challenge it represents, but it somehow doesn't click for me and I am happy to just "sit" through the campaign on easy.

However ! I am a complete nut when it comes to games with a carefully crafted difficulty curve, even if it is very steep. I absolutely love attempting perfect runs in games like the old school Megaman games or Super Meat Boy, or doing a perfect non-lethal stealth run in a MGS game. Yet when it comes to CoD and similar, I feel like the hard difficulty doesn't really come from game design but just from mere stats tweaking (increase aiming stats and health number = magically harder enemy). It just doesn't seem like an actual challenge somehow ? And the tension from "hard" shooting sessions doesn't seem to gel too well with the pacing of the cinematic moments. For some reason it just doesn't feel like a very exiting package to me and I'd rather breeze through the set pieces instead, so that I can take it all in at a constant, easy-as-pie pacing.

Anyways ! If all goes well I should get my copy tomorrow to check this out first-hand. I am hoping to see some of you guys online in MP !!
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    pior wrote: »
    However ! I am a complete nut when it comes to games with a carefully crafted difficulty curve, even if it is very steep.

I agree with this, there are only a few games that I bother to play on hard. I think the last one where I really enjoyed the difficulty was Bioshock 1. So it's been awhile :D.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One of the best cases of a good difficulty curve has to be the original X-Wing game. Early missions were OK and then it just kept on challenging the player, but it was always still realistically possible to complete the missions. Then there were the optional mission objectives...

Oh and Tie Fighter was able to go a step further - taking the vulnerable Imperial fighters without any shields and making it possible to survive long enough to complete missions. Of course they quickly transitioned to more advanced craft ;) but it was still pretty cool.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    I think its a great idea for a story.

Off the top of my head (so don't quote me) this story reminds me of when East India Company - invaded India - beat the French - they had a private army - played all the kingdoms off against each other and made vast profits - at one point had half the worlds trade. Nationalised in 1858 when India became part of the British crown after the debacle of the Indian mutiny and famine where several million people died due to poor policies. Calcutta was its capital at the time.

Mr Cecil Rhodes Gold and diamond mining paid a private army, defeated the Zulus, South Africa and moved all the way up East Africa - Rhodesia, Kenya - this time using the British army in parts, bequeathed his private empire to the British Empire on his death.

Current negotiations between the EU and US could allow corporations private armies, and firms like Blackwater (or whatever they are called now...Academi). I think I heard on the news they have 500 employed in Ukraine at the moment?

So the use of private companies and armies is not new but are issues of our time I guess...but a cool idea for a story.

A great story of a private army that not many people know about was the Viking Warriors in Istanbul. In the year 911, Varangians are mentioned as fighting mercenaries for the Byzantines. About 700 Varangians served along with Dalmatians as marines in Byzantine naval expeditions against the Emirate of Crete in 902 and a force of 629 returned to Crete under Constantine Porphyrogenitus in 949.

Anyhoo, thats enough procrastination for one night, back to my research papers.....:poly141:
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    getting the new year going with some great dlc :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvBK3IWkYyM[/ame]
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    I haven't bought the game but this trailer makes me wanna play it.