Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Shoulda rebooted Street Sharks instead
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    I would have been down with a street sharks reboot, other than having a cool toy line and being sharks on skates I know I don't remember much else about the shows plot. Would probably make a lot of people less angry about messing with it.
  • Inhert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert polycounter lvl 9
    Haha Street Sharks. I used to watch that show when I was in grammar school, good times. Although I do sort of like the design Michael Bay did to the Turtles in terms of their size and hulking sizes based on the trailers and previews. Made the Turtles look more of out this world creatures and also the different accessories they had on set them apart from one another instead of just by color and the weapons they held.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saw the movie today. It's actually pretty cool. Sure, the story was bad and uninspired, but action and turtles were great. If you're not apathetic towards TMNT, it's definitely a must see. Doesn't deserve the low ratings it gets.
  • slipsius
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    You can make a movie appropriate for kids that isn't torture for the adults that are forced to bring them. Most of the parents in the office took their kids to see Guardians of the Galaxy instead of Turtles on it's opening weekend.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    slipsius wrote: »
    Well written article

An interesting read. If there's one take-away that would allow a more pro-active stance on the issue, it's that parents should be a little more discerning in what they expose their kids to. If you want your children to watch "the good stuff," it falls to you to act as a filter.

Personally, I will take this to heart. I have a nephew now, and I fully intend to do my part in sorting out the dross. Any lesser efforts that I put before his eyes will be as an object lesson in what crap looks like.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpMbb3-jZlM"]Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Hyper-Realistic CGI Genitals - YouTube[/ame]
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    You can make a movie appropriate for kids that isn't torture for the adults that are forced to bring them. Most of the parents in the office took their kids to see Guardians of the Galaxy instead of Turtles on it's opening weekend.

Well that's not entirely true, seeing as TMNT made more at the box office than Guardians did this weekend.

Also, have you actually seen any kids shows on tv? I know they arent movie, but they are torture for any adult watching them.

EDIT: re-read. most parents in YOUR office. my bad. Though, that just means the parents themselves wanted to see galaxy more. Like, I get trying to appeal to both, But I also find it hard to believe that no adult likes the new turtles movie. The few people I know who have actually seen the movie actually enjoyed it for what it was. a popcorn flick. Ya, the story has its flaws, and is different than the original origin of the IP, but I dunno. I think it's silly to hate on it just cause of that. IP's evolve. Even turtles evolved before this movie. The turtles we all know and love arent the same turtles that they started out as. If kids now love these new ones, I`m ok with that. They`ll enjoy their childhood just as I enjoyed mine.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's Guardian's second week, there's always a drop but Guardians is currently the best second week sales of the summer. Turtles first weekend is $65 million compared to Guardians of the Galaxy's $94 million opening weekend. Unless Turtles has more staying power and less of a drop off, it's going to be the number 2 movie of the summer behind an obscure IP only hard core comic fans have heard of.

If Turtles was written and directed to have as much charm and heart as the Marvel movies have, it would have been a summer juggernaut.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    It's also hard to compare the two though. Guardians wasnt up against Turtles it's first week. Turtles was up against Guardians though. A lot of people wait a week or two for the theaters to die down, no? Especially with kids. So if they chose Guardians in its second week over turtles in its first, that makes sense.

I dunno. Either way, Both movies are making a boat load of money. Both are already summer juggernauts, whether you like the movie or not.

Also, I will say, Ive see guardians and I loved the hell outta it. I highly doubt I`ll like turtles even remotely as much. But, doesn't change the fact I still wanna see turtles, see if it's as bad as people claim it is even without seeing it. It looks like a popcorn flick that ill find enjoyable, at least a bit. But I do realize to each their own! I like plenty of movies that most people hate.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I guess I'm just angry seeing the Transformer & Turtles IPs squandered. Hopefully they'll one day get rebooted by someone who doesn't think the core idea is stupid.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Actor Robin Williams just committed suicide.

I personally cant rule out that this film had nothing to do with it.
  • Cheats
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nostalgia... of my 90's days. there is also an app version to promote this movie.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya, the story has its flaws, and is different than the original origin of the IP, but I dunno. I think it's silly to hate on it just cause of that. IP's evolve. Even turtles evolved before this movie. The turtles we all know and love arent the same turtles that they started out as. If kids now love these new ones, I`m ok with that. They`ll enjoy their childhood just as I enjoyed mine.

Believe me, that's NOT why I'm avoiding this new movie. I don't need the Turtles franchise to remain the same as it was. It has always been preposterous. It started off as a parody, after all.

What upsets me is that they took something that was charming, and sucked the soul and wit out of it. I've been watching the new TV iteration of the Turtles, and it's great. It is a modern, different interpretation of the Turtles, and it's great. The changes they've made to the characters and universe have largely been for the best, and the writing is solid across the board. It is high-quality children's entertainment.

From what I've heard of this new Turtles movie, it is essentially identical to the recent Spiderman reboot, and has the same level of blandness. I have no need of that. I'll just keep enjoying the new TV show.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Dataday wrote: »

This was in no way called for, or acceptable by any stretch of the imagination.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18

The only thing that guy is right on is kids do like flashy things. But the rest? It cannot be boiled down to simply "you don't get it because your an adult". Case in point, did we see such an uproar with the last TMNT movie? Cartoon? No.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This was in no way called for, or acceptable by any stretch of the imagination.

Relax, take a chill pill. Kind of amazing how some are trained to get offended over perceived slight. You might not be aware, but its a nod towards a lot of the language being used by critics after the film released, suicide was used often to describe their experience.

Life is harsh, with free will people make their own decisions, it just is what it is. So for some, conveying some information is easier to do (see coping mechanism) though a bit of comedy. Ironic since its regarding a comedian, especially one who joked often about serious subjects in an "offensive" way.

So that's where I'm coming from, if you still want to be offended, then so be it..nothing I can do about that.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's okay, you can admit you made a mistake. Don't drag us down with you.

I'll admit no such thing, but you are entitled to your opinion. =)
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Dataday wrote: »

:(
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    heboltz3 wrote: »
    Just feels like Transformers, but with the Turtles, don't know how feel.
    My thoughts exactly, and the fact that there still is the shitty Megan Fox doesn't help.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno, it is what it is. Don't wanna see it? Don't watch it. But as a time waster to fill up a 2+ hour gap of your life that mobile games or facebook can't scratch, well it's pretty good, if you know, you're stupid.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    it is essentially identical to the recent Spiderman reboot, and has the same level of blandness.

sorry what? the new spiderman films were bland? i haven't seen the second yet (but i want to), the first one outclassed all of the other spiderman flicks combined though.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    I liked it. I didn't care for story or characters except Turtles, but they were great! I really like the new design and their personalities were spot-on. New origin story was a bit strange at first, but now I'm okay with it. It's pretty interesting to me. Action scenes were also pretty great, definitely better than most this year. I really liked how turtles always fought as a team, I think that's great and cool to look at.

Anyway, the movie is miles better than both Amazing Spider-Man movies and X-Men: DOFP to me, mostly because of turtles.

Megan Fox is the worst actress ever, tho.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i haven't seen the second yet (but i want to), the first one outclassed all of the other spiderman flicks combined though.

Perhaps you should watch the first Spiderman reboot again, and think a little harder about the acting, the script, and the tone. I am reasonably certain that the experience will not improve with multiple viewings. It's that kind of movie.

The Sam Raimi original trilogy is certainly not without its flaws. But it at least had personality. The reboot films are just... blah. I also have yet to see the second. But when I finally got around to watching the first it was just so generic and forgettable. The entire effort felt tired and lazy, as though everyone involved had just gone through the motions. There were no memorable moments, nothing stuck with you afterwards.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    On the Spider-Man front I agree with Richard Kain. I thought Amazing Spider-Man was okay, but not as memorable or charming as the Raimi movies. Amazing Spider-Man 2 reached a whole 'nother level of shittiness though for sure. It was a trainwreck, they were more worried about setting up the sequels than making an actual movie.
  • xalener
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xalener polycounter lvl 5
    sorry what? the new spiderman films were bland? i haven't seen the second yet (but i want to), the first one outclassed all of the other spiderman flicks combined though.

Oooohohohoh, hell no. If you ever revisit this conversation, I want you to explain yourself.

If there's one thing Marc Webb has proven he can't do over the course of two god damn films, it's pacing.

The more I think of the second movie, the more I hate it. The bullshit character motivations, the turn-on-a-dime descents into madness that both Electro AND Harry Osbourne make without any build up or even any payoff (they obviously had a really strict time limit on writing this script, because no one has any reason to do the stupid shit they do and there's sooooo much fat in this story)... It even tried to take some of Raimi's abstract visual style and bombast and it was completely at odds with every other part of the movie. Fucking Dr Kafka. What the hell was that. Sons of bitches, they literally had every one of the sinister six's (and more) weapons and costumes up ON DISPLAY IN THE HALLS OF OSCORP TOWER. EVEN THE SYMBIOTE WAS SUSPENDED IN A BALL. WHat the hell are they gonna do with that? "oh, you want to kill spider-man? Have some of these arms. You too? That's great! Take these wings! Peter Parker? But you are Spider-Man! Ah well, take this suit. You'll abuse your family and might kill some people and then cry about it. It'll be a nice little subplot."
    This is a neat little rule I think should be the cartilage of every script. The good ones embrace it and the bad ones ignore it.

Amazing Spiderman 1 and 2 were almost 100% "and then...," maybe with the exception of the beginning (and abrupt end) of Peter's revenge spree, since it was the direct consequence of the end of Ben... Funny enough, that was probably the only bit in the script that flowed well because they didn't even have to come up with that part.

Also, not even the dance scene in Spider-Man 3 can compare to the cringeworthy cheesyness of the crane sequence in ASM. At least the dance montage was played for laughs.

The Rami Trilogy had a Robocoppy sense of irony and levity to everything, despite the fact that it actually did get heavy at points. ASM was just a bunch of the same shit except with all the levity replaced with pensive staring and exposition vomit. The only well done thing in the new movies is the interaction between Pete and Gwen, and... Well, we won't see that anymore.

The Raimi Trilogy was silly. Hell, the first movie was throwing stuff at the wall to see what would stick. It was among the FIRST of these comic character adaptations, and one of the very few early ones to see any success at all. That being said, tonally it was a great throwback to the golden age of comics with its over-the-top acting and hilarious dialog. I'm pretty sure "It's you who's out Gobby, out of your mind," the most universally hated and laughed at line in the first film, is a direct quote from an old issue. and THAT being said, it had a sense of FUCKING DIRECTION. Everyone involved knew what kind of film they were making, and gave it their all to make sure it didn't stray. This reboot series is the complete opposite, playing Twister with its goddamn themes and tone.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah... Amazing Spiderman 2 was terribad.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    lol.
    ....that clash with the film's desire to be kid-friendly fun. Parts like making Megan Fox gratuitously jump on a trampoline for an April O'Neil report. Or having 40-year-olds like Johnny Knoxville voice the Turtles. Or Michaelangelo making jokes about how much he wants to fuck April O'Neil.

Ooh, really?

Yeah. His line, upon seeing unconscious Megan Fox is "I can feel my shell tightening." Because he has an erection, you see. Because he wants to fuck her.

I see. Unfortunately.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    ha! What the hell?
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Very funny article.

Here's the question I have. If the mutagen in film is supposedly able to give anyone super-healing abilities, why would the antagonists come up with some hair-brained scheme to poison an entire city? If you had a product like that, you could just sell it. You'd make enough money from a cure-all like that to buy most of New York. The state, not just the city. We're talking billions on top of billions.

It always annoys me when a film plays it fast-and-loose with character motivations, especially villains. I had a lot of the same issues with Oblivion. The villain in that film made absolutely no sense.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    going to get a lil tipsy (more than a little) and go check this out tonight. that turtle boner joke posted above is amazing. I am going to make sure I laugh extra loud in the theater for it. it sounds to me like some of you guys are missing the key ingredient to enjoying a "film" such as this.....booze. I am expecting the worst, so maybe I might be somewhat non underwhelmed.......?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've coined a new term for shitty movies that make bank - a Lackluster
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    so rolled into this and ended up getting stuck in the first couple rows, which was really head exploding 3d and a neck workout, not to mention made it 10x more impossible to see what the fuck was going on during those action scenes.

I was nicely buzzed and feeling good about the movie. then the lights dimmed and the nightmare/hilarity began. No let me pre-face this with I was never a hardcore TMNT fan but I did enjoy the old cartoon and 90s movies when I was about 10-12 or whenever I saw them. so I went into this with an open mind hoping to be somewhat entertained.

I love how people just were evil for the sake of being evil with very little motivation etc. the horrible dialogue all round and cheesy Will Arnett trying to put the moves on megan fox. the incoherent action scenes with shit moving to fast, the annoying little vocal snippets the turtles threw in everywhere. oh god. There were some scenes where in the back of my mind I was thinking "if they did this dark and serious like batman begins, it could actually be kind of cool" but that would be taking out 90% of the movies content and starting from scratch.

The biggest disappointment though was I was unable to trick my mind into kid mode, like I used to be able to do. I was sitting there thinking that if I was about 8-10 years old, I would be loving this movie. Bascially it made me long for childlike ignorance and being able to take things at face value and enjoy them with a naive sense of excitement.......like I did when I saw Guardians last week :)

oh well, after seeing something this bad, its a mental reset on the quality bar after seeing guardians, so expendables doesn't have to be that great next week to seem fun.
  • Justin Meisse
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Looks dumb as hell. I won't watch it, but I know it will still put butts in seats and make a squajillion dollars because people like to watch shiny garbage explode loudly on huge screens.

I'm in no place to judge, but at least it's not a idiotic Batman/Superman/Ironman movie, at least this one will fit right in the burger culture, err i mean pizza society.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master

WOOP!

i think i have to go see it again before it gets removed from screening at the cinema.