Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Some blockout on a Lifestealer weapon:
    jrSbSY2.jpg
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Had to cut off the beard as i couldn't find a solution to make it animate with his mouth when he talked, worked great otherwise, but oh well on to another set. Happy with how this turned out for a relatively quick turnaround. I really like playing elder lately as well.

My Entry

Tonsured Braid of The Broken by Dogmeat

La4naZF.jpg

FcJvcTw.jpg
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin polycounter lvl 17
    TrevorJ - That came out great. Nice one.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyvxLDhViiM"]Elder Titan WIP - YouTube[/ame]
  • Martin_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin_H polycounter lvl 6
    I think I'm done :).

vengeful-spirit-weapon-packshot-copy.jpg
  • Mr. Toodles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr. Toodles polycounter lvl 11
    looks awesome martin!

here's a wip of my textures, im having a tought time adjusting to painting 3d objects haha

gotta give this thing more clarity
    wippest_zps0c41f94e.jpg

edit: wrong link
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Sukotto wrote: »
    @cagdasx44: You have to ask yourself, whats more important: Finishing an item and making it the best it can be? Or rushing just to submit it to the monthly contest?

Polaris and Reza gave you some great feedback which you should apply. Does it really matter if you don't submit it in time for the contest? At this point with your skill level you should be focusing on improving and doing whatever it takes to do so and not be burdening yourself with deadlines.

That is a great suggestion

the main focus of the contest is to help people to improve, dont let it make your quality lower =]

Take your time and do your best! next month you organize better your time to finish before the deadline
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, we need to define the next month theme!

any suggestion?
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    Some ideas could be:

-Least represented in the workshop
    -Ward set
    -Head slot
    -[Insert Animal] themed item
    -HUD
    -Feathery/fleshy (material type theme)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yeah I like the idea of least represented, we almost did it last month but then we had an influx of new heroes available. I also like Reyne's idea of a particular material type or types.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    still there has not been any winner of december and also february :(
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Yes, I think an important part of this is announcments.

We need to finalize before we jump into moving on.

Least represented is a good starting point. But it's also wide open. That only defines Hero's that should be used.

I think we still need a more specific 'theme'.

Say: (just example)

LifeStealer
    Pugna
    Pudge

'Medieval'

So basically a medieval theme for a listed hero. (not suggesting medieval, just the fact that that is the theme, which is separate from the hero list)
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    What about a specified list of 3-5 least represented heroes with 2-3 different primary material types/themes.

That would be restrictive but still give 6-15 different avenues for exploration.
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne wrote: »
    Some ideas could be:

-Least represented in the workshop
    -Ward set
    -Head slot
    -[Insert Animal] themed item
    -HUD
    -Feathery/fleshy (material type theme)

this is a good idea to start

we can also go for roles in game too, like support

head slot it may be too crowded on the workshop, but we need to have an interesting subject to keep everyone motivated.

A ward maybe me too much because will need animations for it, BUT, a ward is not that hard to animate so could also be a really good option. On the same subject we have couple times were we made a more complicated theme like sets or summons and was nice to push a little further everyone

the material type it may be a little hard to decide and the hud i think it will limit people a lot

resuming, headslot and wards in my opinion are great themes

@Shock, would you like to help on that? we just need a pool for the december competition and i can accept that as a final result. Just remembering that the prize for that month now its a freeware so there will be no prizes, just a post with the winners.
    The february is already defined for some time, we are just waiting for the space to post on the main polycount page
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    what can i do to help u tvidotto?
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm trying to get this finished for the end of the month, only need to finish the texturing.

2SM6EYa.jpg
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    oh yeah id love to make a ward
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good Andyk125

So, I am still working on the same set. Not 100% on the beard. I changed the textures so that just the blue on the back is showing. I felt like the blue spread out all over the character lacked focus. Also made him look like he was accessorizing - which is not very manly.

et3.gif~original
  • heckaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaand done! my item is now finished, go check it out in the workshop!

Ancient Quaker by Pesky Pug(heckaa)

tumblr_n34a51uCtD1riyt5no1_250.jpg
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    nice work tamarin.
  • Spam_One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spam_One polycounter lvl 4
    Nice work guys !

i m going to give up i think, i had so many normal glitch on my 5th version of Elder's Totem, i dont know how to work well with angular things i think... I spent days on this, testing, tweaking, learning, but i've never had a good result when i try to smooth angles with a normal, and that 400 polys limit doesn't help me.

:shifty:
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin wrote: »
    Looking good Andyk125

So, I am still working on the same set. Not 100% on the beard. I changed the textures so that just the blue on the back is showing. I felt like the blue spread out all over the character lacked focus. Also made him look like he was accessorizing - which is not very manly.

et3.gif~original

awesome work, i saw you posted on reddit, how is going the feedback there? they tend to be preety harsh in the beggining but if you filter the comments you can get some really nice feedback
  • Mr. Toodles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, i'm having a difficult time getting this to bind properly its not fun haha

ohmy_zps59ec1494.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, i'm having a difficult time getting this to bind properly its not fun haha

ohmy_zps59ec1494.jpg

what is your problem and what format are you using?

if using fbx dont forget to add the rootbone to the export, smd is not necessary but it may not work on some headpieces and pieces that originally had a cloth (dont know why =] )
  • Mr. Toodles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks tvidotto i use modo steam edition and currently it doesnt add thwe rootbone using the automatic binding option, I can't tell you in confidence that i know how to bind manually with modo, i do have a copy of maya and blender but I know little of binding or anything in those programs haha. im using an fbx

edit:dyslexia
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks tvidotto i use modo steam edition and currently it doesnt add thwe rootbone using the automatic binding option, I can't tell you in confidence that i know how to bind manually with modo, i do have a copy of maya and blender but I know little of binding or anything in those programs haha. im using an fbx

edit:dyslexia

you can try binding it mannually, i doesnt need to have an influence but you need something to show to your fbx export that it need to export the root bone, maybe just selecting it will work, but what i normally do is:
    bind normally and after ask maya to add the rootbone to the influence with zero influence. so it will not move any vertice but will be on the fbx export

i normally use smd, so there is probably an easy way to work with fbx that i dont know
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i saw you posted on reddit, how is going the feedback there? they tend to be preety harsh in the beggining but if you filter the comments you can get some really nice feedback

Yeah, the feedback there was great. The big complaint was the lack of horns and I got a good feedback about the color being too desaturated. Ultimately the beard or the horns is a bit of a tradeoff. With 300 polys, you are going to have to cut some things , and I think beard was the goal for me from the beginning. Resolving the head piece has been the biggest challenge. I think I have iterated it maybe 7 times?

The good news is that I have the beard animated to move with the in-game speech animations. This was something I wanted to do before - so this monthly contest has pushed me to learn something new.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    @Tamarin,

The material and details are just amazing. The idea is pretty cool too though I only new it was an anvil because someone mentioned it. Not that it doesn't look like one, just holding it I guess.

But awesome skills.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the feedback there was great. The big complaint was the lack of horns and I got a good feedback about the color being too desaturated. Ultimately the beard or the horns is a bit of a tradeoff. With 300 polys, you are going to have to cut some things , and I think beard was the goal for me from the beginning. Resolving the head piece has been the biggest challenge. I think I have iterated it maybe 7 times?

The good news is that I have the beard animated to move with the in-game speech animations. This was something I wanted to do before - so this monthly contest has pushed me to learn something new.

300 polys are painfull to work with, i had the same problem with the AM headpiece. So did you manage to make the blendshapes or is just following the jaw bone?
  • polarbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tamarin,
    very impressive! I love the hammer and amboss, it fits the hero perfectly!

Here's my submission, which I fear is too unclean for Elder Titan, but that's what you get when you give the guy a giant boulder to smash things, I guess...

Shattered Boulder of the One by Nenquel

Vw7WrO7.jpg
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The idea is pretty cool too though I only new it was an anvil because someone mentioned it. Not that it doesn't look like one, just holding it I guess.

Yeah, I took some artistic liberties with the design. The top surface is usually flat and the base as well. It might be the hardest item in the set to read.
    So did you manage to make the blendshapes or is just following the jaw bone?

I haven't made the blendshapes yet, but I know how to make/export them now - so that is what I was excited about learning. My problem right now is that I haven't resolved the final head design. Everything I make for the head has been crap so for so I keep trying - eventually I will get lucky. Someone on reddit mentioned goggles which I like the idea - the only issue being that he has no neck to put goggles on.
    very impressive! I love the hammer and amboss, it fits the hero perfectly!

Here's my submission, which I fear is too unclean for Elder Titan, but that's what you get when you give the guy a giant boulder to smash things, I guess...

Amboss! I learned a new word today - that's exactly what it was supposed to be. If I could get an animation in game of him hammering on the amboss I would be really excited.

That boulder looks clean to me. That is a good concept/execution.
  • polarbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amboss! I learned a new word today - that's exactly what it was supposed to be. If I could get an animation in game of him hammering on the amboss I would be really excited.

That boulder looks clean to me. That is a good concept/execution.

I googled it again, turns out what you have there is an anvil (in english), amboss is the german word which is somewhat spread over the world.

and thanks! =)
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the month is ending guys, any more suggestion for the theme?
  • polarbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    A ward maybe me too much because will need animations for it, BUT, a ward is not that hard to animate so could also be a really good option.

I like the ward idea but I have zero experience animating - is it possible for some more experienced artists to set up some kind of tutorial with "click-this-button-here. see-it? click-it!" steps? (or just a bunch of links to useful videos etc. that focus on ward animation?)
    Basically something that allows everyone to participate and makes learning ward animation fun/easy.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Life Extractor by Andyk125

n8v803Z.jpg

Still need to change the color of the Venge weapon now that the normal weapon also has been changed or at least the colors don't match at all now..

Update: Finished the new color for the venge weapon.

Fallen Wings by Andyk125

hTZxcwm.jpg
  • Mr. Toodles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres my final submission guys! feels great to finally make the deadline :D

could you also post following the code on the first post of the thread?
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doesn't look good for a tomorrow finish...

day14.jpg~originalday14c.jpg~original
    day14d.jpg~original
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Doesn't look good for a tomorrow finish...

Your ingame pic and render look like completely different items. I'd suggest you try to make your ingame look like your render. Go for bigger details and work on the material some more, maybe tilt it a bit to give more spec.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Your ingame pic and render look like completely different items. I'd suggest you try to make your ingame look like your render. Go for bigger details and work on the material some more, maybe tilt it a bit to give more spec.

Yup, completely agreed. The material on the render looks much more defined, specially on the crystal. You could try adding some edge highlights on the diffuse, and also work out on the mask a bit.

Does ET have a detail map? Would be cool to add something of the sort on the crystal.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    belkun wrote: »
    Yup, completely agreed. The material on the render looks much more defined, specially on the crystal. You could try adding some edge highlights on the diffuse, and also work out on the mask a bit.

Does ET have a detail map? Would be cool to add something of the sort on the crystal.
    Yup, painted on highlights is the way to go i think.

He does, it's a cool looking glowing waves.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    The render looks great but as vlad said, the render doesn't really match with the ingame pic.
    Also a minor mistake on the straps. The crease/wear should follow the gem.
    vZOMgKB.png
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks guys, I think I'll move away from the glowing blue crystal. I'm going to call it alabaster now. These textures are too much fun.

I guess this is as far as I made it this month. I learned some cool stuff so even if I don't finish on time I'm happy.

day15.jpg~original
    day15b.jpg~original
  • TheVirgl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Stone Fist by Virgl

w7UX2aKb8lk.jpg
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    @Tamarin

But the blue crystal was so cool! It just looks boring now D:
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheVirgl wrote: »
    The Stone Fist

could you check the link of the image? it is not displaying on the forum

---

guys, congrats for more one month, im going to announce the winner from February, and set up the voting for this one

what about the next month theme? we didnt have much imput about it, im not sure but i think the most voted was making a ward but i need to read back some post to check

any other suggestion?
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    i would suggest that we make a contest for exciting concepted items, and the 12 most epic items are packed into a chest (tvidotto can draw it^^) and volvo must put it into game. for the revival of single items!
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    any other suggestion?

Something simple like: Single items for bug characters or Single Items for Demon characters or Single Items for fishman characters

That excludes a lot of the really popular humanoid characters and includes a lot of ones that get less attention.
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Frump wrote: »
    Single Items for fishman characters

FISHMEN.

This definitely gets my vote :P
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omg, you guys getting crazy =]

btw, i just submitted the winners from the february contest, the first one with the greentooth trophy going to Bronto Thunder

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2037299#post2037299