Home General Discussion

Sonic Boom

Replies

• BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    The worst part about this to me is that the artists are catching a lot of flack, even though a lot of the art seems actually quite pleasant to me. I kinda like it, it's certainly got more style and consistency than some other Sonic related adventures in recent years. But still, your average consumer is bashing it as much as everything else. It's a shame, and looking at the final product... a little bit of a waste.

But I've been watching some reviews and Youtuber pieces on it and just... The lack of understanding when criticizing the art is painful. Flat out and objectively incorrect on multiple occasions. :/ Oh well.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I sometimes wonder if these east meets west partnerships come with a case of too many cooks in the kitchen. It's hard to imagine ex-naughty dog guys putting out such a mediocre product.

There's some rumors going around that quite a few employees, including the original producer, left the project during or near the end of development.
  • .nL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    BagelHero wrote: »
    --snip--

I'd say that while the art direction and technical execution of individual assets seems mostly solid (the characters are a bit rough), the technical and artistic execution of the environments in the actual game is inoffensive and boring at best, from the gameplay I've seen.

Everything's just so flat, and lacking in polish. The lighting doesn't draw attention to itself in any way, the environments only have one level of detail, and nothing's grounded on account of a complete lack of AO. Nothing feels like it has a purpose as anything other than a gameplay element.