5 Denny
    6 Brandon.LaFrance
    7 mjeruzal
    8 GxD11
    9 cgartland
    10 Dimfist
    11 TomDelboo
    12 JohnnyRaptor

Unless there's any objection, I will create the thread for February on the 31st Jan,and then we will start. Information about spec and budget will be posted in the new thread.
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Nice! Thanks for setting it up I look forward to it :D
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Thanks for managing the voting PyrZern. Glad to see so many people voting.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Hahah yeah, the voting was pretty awesome :) For next month I'd make it more clear that we can vote on multiple images.

Well, until next month, get your life back, hit the gym, go out and dance, set up a date or two, hit restaurants and eat healthy :P

Thanks all who participate.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    When's this party kicking off? February 14th ?
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @JohnnyRaptor - It will start on the 1st.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ... Note to self; Don't be lazy. Just spell out 2014... Don't shorten it to '14
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Lol doh! My bad! I'm sure it's clear to everyone else!
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks PyrZern! I think I will try to do this but I may not have time. :D
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Even though I didn't vote, nice choice! I think I'm going to have to join this month, I need more complete characters for my portfolio.
  • Fenn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenn polycounter lvl 3
    Lol doh! My bad! I'm sure it's clear to everyone else!

No, I was also wondering why a monthly challenge started on the 14th.
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This gonna be a fun one to watch. :)
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Well I am not exactly too excited about this one but community here excites me :D Well let's get to it then :D
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN wrote: »
    Well I am not exactly too excited about this one but community here excites me :D Well let's get to it then :D

But... but your vote was one of the deciding votes, lol !
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    PyrZern wrote: »

Pyre,

would it be wise to start this today/tomorrow seeing as Feb is the shortest month of the year? I see some people are still adding finishing touches to January's contest despite starting halfway through December so I think it would probably be ideal.
  • TomDelboo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDelboo polycounter lvl 6
    medieval guy was the only one, I really didn`t want to do :s If I knew I could vote on multiple images. the girl would have had equal votes as medieval guy :(

If somebody decides that there will be two threads with characters, please let me know.
    I really would like to participate.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12

Because it was the most sensible one to chose between other concepts. People really didn't dig into concepts I introduce so I had to chose the " lesser evil" as Geralt of Rivia would say.

I really don't like the medival dude and his concept. There is nothing special, funny or interesting to him. But I will participate of course :D
  • Blendermonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blendermonkey polycounter lvl 10
    I really don't like the medival dude and his concept. There is nothing special, funny or interesting to him. But I will participate of course :D

I agree, the doctor and the fire girl seem way more interesting. Too bad I'm late for voting... there's always next time
  • Fenn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenn polycounter lvl 3
    I agree, the doctor and the fire girl seem way more interesting. Too bad I'm late for voting... there's always next time

I am glad we aren't doing the fire girl. Try to draw her anatomy in that pose without that metal shell on her back. Do a paint over. It doesn't seem like it would work and trying to fix a design may not be fun to do in one months time. It is a cool and fun concept, but I don't want to figure it out. I also don't think she can lift her arms very much.

Hopefully, we do the Doctor next. I think this Medieval guy will be good practice as getting a character out.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator

Tan, this isn't so much directed at you as just something I'm using your quote to launch off of.

Welcome to the real world. :) You may not enjoy the concepts you're handed at your job either but that doesn't mean they can be put off. I think it's important in these challenges to not think of "oh that is an interesting character" but rather "What can I learn from this?"

The knight has a huge range of materials and sculpting techniques to master. Skin, hair, wood, polished metal, cloth, and leather. Not to say that some of the other choices didn't have as much but if you're here to learn, are you going to learn any less from this concept?

Granted I don't know if I'll have time to participate this month as I'll have travel twice this month that is going to eat into my work time, but maybe I can do a bust or something. My point is, this is an ongoing challenge. If you want to work on other stuff we can't stop you; but you're going to learn a ton by being able to bounce ideas/workflow off of each other in the new thread. I'll also say again, you won't always have a choice on what to make in a studio environment so it may be a good idea to try things that may be out of your comfort zone.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Truth^

God know's I hate half the shit that comes across my desk haha.

HOWEVER. For the sake of learning, I kind of disagree. I feel like you'll learn more and invest more in a concept you are more excited to work on, and less likely to burn out and end up ditching it entirely.

Just my .02. I would find something you would enjoy working on a bit more. Learning how to entertain concepts you aren't fond of will come with time and XP I think.
  • jfeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfeez polycounter lvl 8
    Never got the chance to do last months, but this months seems cool =) I like this concept, it maybe slightly dull, but i think you can get a lot of personality out of the face, and the different material definitions should be interesting
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with praetus here that we aren't gonna get all the cool stuff we wanna do. It would be nice if it is so, though. Medieval dude appears dull, maybe, I think because he's kind of mainstream. Tough dude in armors. Yeah, I'm sure there will more of him. But what's also important is to recreate this specific dude in 3d. Not just any dude in armor, it's this dude in armor. Getting his face likeliness will be a nice learning experience. Same to the leather armors and hard fabric pieces. And have fun with his beard ;P

With that said, I'm making a thread for February now.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    I agree with praetus here that we aren't gonna get all the cool stuff we wanna do. It would be nice if it is so, though. Medieval dude appears dull, maybe, I think because he's kind of mainstream. Tough dude in armors. Yeah, I'm sure there will more of him. But what's also important is to recreate this specific dude in 3d. Not just any dude in armor, it's this dude in armor. Getting his face likeliness will be a nice learning experience. Same to the leather armors and hard fabric pieces. And have fun with his beard ;P

With that said, I'm making a thread for February now.

There are many Dudes in Armour but this is "MY" Dude in Armour :D
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    Well, I was expecting that this guy wouldn't be chosen but whatever, there's still some really cool details and nice materials to work on with this concept. Can we get some sort of link for the thread or something as soon as it's on the forums? (yeah I'm lazy like that right now.)
  • PyrZern