something like this maybe ?

even-odd.jpg

I use the input on a brick generator, the input on X drives the output on Y
    If X is even, Y = X, else if X is odd, Y = X+1
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Sweet that looks close to where I was just could not formulate it correctly! Thanks for the help.
  • aelwine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aelwine polycounter lvl 6
    Glad I could be of some small help, and give back a tiny fraction of what I learned from you. ;)
  • gel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gel polycounter lvl 7
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    aelwine wrote: »
    something like this maybe ?

even-odd.jpg

I use the input on a brick generator, the input on X drives the output on Y
    If X is even, Y = X, else if X is odd, Y = X+1

Thaaat is so amazing, thank you for posting that :). Super helpful!
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    devingeesr polycounter lvl 13
    gel wrote: »
    Hi devin

Check this out for wood.

@gel thanks for that I'm going to be making some changes.
  • josh_lynch
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Woohoo Josh. That latest update did wonders to fix the issues I had.
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Damage pass. Brightened albedo. Pushed gloss.

Crosspost

Floor_Wood_Panels_01_Ground_Rev_04_Layout_Comp_Josh_Lynch.png

Floor_Wood_Panels_01_Sphere_Rev_04_Layout_Comp_Josh_Lynch.png

Floor_Wood_Panels_01_Cylinder_Rev_04_Layout_Comp_Josh_Lynch.png
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    Looking really ace now Josh. so much better. i also respect that you spent time to finish it. good job.
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgvinny polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys,

Here is a 100% procedural grass I have made for fun :

grass03.jpg

Feedback welcome
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Quack! - Cool im glad!

Bertmac - Glad you like it thank you!
  • Bruno Afonseca
    cgvinny - Cool! Could you show some breakdowns or explain how you made it? that's the best substance grass I've seen so far :)
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The setup is quite simple :
    I create 1 piece of "regular" green grass, and one piece of "dried" thin grass.

Then I have created 2 FX maps to spread them randomly the way I want. Finally I color and blend them together :

grassGraph.jpg
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses polycounter lvl 13
    Pretty nice results Vince. Can you try it quick on a landscape? I just know sometimes pointy grass ends up looking weird when you actually apply it.
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @arvinmoses sure things ! I will try it tomorrow and keep you up to date
  • JackDCaron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JackDCaron polycounter lvl 4
    Sorry, a little late to the game here, but I think these will work. You can tie the two to the inputs of an "Else, If" and create a Boolean switch to toggle from using all evens or all odds I imagine.

Might lend itself to some creative results in the future by changing the "B" of the modulo?

Even_Numbers01.jpg
    Odd_Numbers01.jpg
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Sweet thanks these are helpful :)

Another question would anyone have an idea of how to make a cobble fan or brick pattern like this?

sett02.gif
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I made a test on a terrain in Unity : far from perfect, but with a blending mat and two different diffuses, there is a way to break the lines :

grassOnTerrain.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    rogelio wrote: »

Another question would anyone have an idea of how to make a cobble fan or brick pattern like this?

sett02.gif

With a pretty hardcore FX-map it's not impossible. You basically want to work out a function for position and rotation (separate).
    If you haven't done it before it's pretty hard to figure out...
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelquaternion polycounter lvl 6
    Hi guy's,

I have bought substance designer last month and i am having few issues that maybe some of you can help me solve.

First i am using the physically based shader metal/roughness and even if i completely remove the specular on my rock it still show glossy effect on it no matter what i do.

Second, when i change my environment exr in background it doesn't seem to change anything on the object except for the reflexion but the diffuse wont change regarding with the tint of the exr i use ex: sunset=yellowish.

Third, when i saw some videos where they mention that you don't have to revert to multiple other baking solutions i was disappoint to see this claim was ruined by the curvature map, this map is not working as it should at all since it seem to let artifacts from the normal map to appear. I have look at knald and their curvature map seem to be exactly what i am looking for but i am getting tired to have to buy another software and specially having to loose precious time switching to one and other for simple task.

Thank for any help
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey pixelquaternion,
    Did you go to the material and scene settings to be sure that anything is OK ?
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgvinny wrote: »
    Hey pixelquaternion,
    Did you go to the material and scene settings to be sure that anything is OK ?

Hi vinny,

Yes i did and everything was OK, i try looking at SD forum but it seem not a lot of info on the issues i am facing.

Normally playing with the black and white in roughness yield some instant change in the 3d view but in my scene the change was very subtle and i couldn't get rid of the glossiness on my rock, make me remember the Bethesda glossy rock effect in fallout and oblivion!
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    Hi guy's,

I have bought substance designer last month and i am having few issues that maybe some of you can help me solve.

First i am using the physically based shader metal/roughness and even if i completely remove the specular on my rock it still show glossy effect on it no matter what i do.

Second, when i change my environment exr in background it doesn't seem to change anything on the object except for the reflexion but the diffuse wont change regarding with the tint of the exr i use ex: sunset=yellowish.

Third, when i saw some videos where they mention that you don't have to revert to multiple other baking solutions i was disappoint to see this claim was ruined by the curvature map, this map is not working as it should at all since it seem to let artifacts from the normal map to appear. I have look at knald and their curvature map seem to be exactly what i am looking for but i am getting tired to have to buy another software and specially having to loose precious time switching to one and other for simple task.

Thank for any help

Hi pixelquaternion,

To get a pure diffuse material, set the metallic to black and set the roughness to white. Make sure the textures are correctly sent to the 3D view (you can use RMB drag&drop from the node to the 3D view, or connect the node to the output and make RMB in the graph / view outputs in 3D view).

By default, their are two point lights active in the 3d view, if you only want to use only the IBL, go to the scene settings and set the light color to pure black.

Concerning the curvature, their should not have artefacts if the source normal map is a 16bit per channel image but the result can indeed be very sharp. Could you post an image of your result vs the expected result ?

Thanks!
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Xoliul wrote: »
    With a pretty hardcore FX-map it's not impossible. You basically want to work out a function for position and rotation (separate).
    If you haven't done it before it's pretty hard to figure out...

I am very interested in this as well. I like the fan pattern shape but also want to understand how FX nodes impact the creation of something like this.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    josh_lynch wrote: »
    I am very interested in this as well. I like the fan pattern shape but also want to understand how FX nodes impact the creation of something like this.

It's really just about coming up with a mathematical formula in node form.
    The most useful way of using FX maps is when doing them through an 'Iterate' node. You basically go through n number of 'stamps' of your FX-map, but it's up to you to offset every single one based on which one it is in the 'n' sequence.
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I am giving away the sbsar of the grass I made you can download it from the Allegorithmic Google+ fan community here :

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/108955098539774060748

direct link to the post :
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/+VincentGAULT/posts/RUYEcrpDavJ
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Vince - Beautiful man! Love this!

Hey guys, I think someone brought this up earlier but I think this is solution that'll evaluate faster (xvalue * 2) - 1.

Answers would be as follows
    x = 1,2,3,4,5
    y = 1,3,5,7,9

Here's the graph:
    w438EL6.jpg
    JackDCaron wrote: »
    Sorry, a little late to the game here, but I think these will work. You can tie the two to the inputs of an "Else, If" and create a Boolean switch to toggle from using all evens or all odds I imagine.

Might lend itself to some creative results in the future by changing the "B" of the modulo?

Even_Numbers01.jpg
    Odd_Numbers01.jpg

As far as this:
    rogelio wrote: »

sett02.gif

I think this might help...
    http://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SD45/Fx-Map+%3A+using+vector+maps

I'll give it a shot when I get the chance.
  • Caser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caser polycounter lvl 10
    Hello there!

I've been doing some procedural textures this week. Really really loving this software.

Here are two screen captures of some substances did these last couple of days.

mnzUYur.jpg

CLRV0jv.jpg
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent Caser!
    Will you share your graph?
  • Caser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caser polycounter lvl 10
    I've been working a little more on the mosaic substance thing. All screens come from the same substance.

vWcJ8Wx.jpg

PGTlWeB.jpg

LD8STkX.jpg

jcLPVvP.jpg
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, some of you wanted to get more info about how I made the grass.

So here is the first part of the tutorial where I focus on the construction of the primary shapes and the creation of the FX map(s)

Hope you like it and that it can be useful :

http://youtu.be/kvQ55WvDKsE

Of course, comments and feedback are welcome ;-)
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
  • Caser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caser polycounter lvl 10
    cgvinny wrote: »
    Excellent Caser!
    Will you share your graph?

Thanks! I don't have a problem to share it, but it's a little messy (and the tile generators are freakin huge), so I rather prefer to share some sections that are more "original" (the workflow is similar to the workflow taught by Richard "Pipes": first height map, then normal, then color).

The Zellige tiles:

wrMrBwC.jpg

I've used one picture from cgtextures as reference ( this one ). My idea was to made some basic geometric shapes divided by their color and instance and rotate them using the splatter circular node. After that, I blend everything together.

AxEU95j.jpg

Garage door:

Height generator:

CiBWHAS.jpg

Scratches:

nzxUlBm.jpg
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very interesting ! Thx a lot !
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW wrote: »
    Hi pixelquaternion,

To get a pure diffuse material, set the metallic to black and set the roughness to white. Make sure the textures are correctly sent to the 3D view (you can use RMB drag&drop from the node to the 3D view, or connect the node to the output and make RMB in the graph / view outputs in 3D view).

By default, their are two point lights active in the 3d view, if you only want to use only the IBL, go to the scene settings and set the light color to pure black.

Concerning the curvature, their should not have artefacts if the source normal map is a 16bit per channel image but the result can indeed be very sharp. Could you post an image of your result vs the expected result ?

Thanks!

Hi Nicolas,

Thank for replying and the issue resolved itself regarding the curvature map by simply closing SD and reopening the scene and this remind me of 3ds max since when something go wrong when it should not then just restart the software and bang magic happen!

I would like to post image showing what happen but i am not allowed to post anything from the upcoming game asset.

Another problem show up today that i will need to investigate, when i import from zbrush the 3d model doesn't show in the 3d view and if i take the OBJ output from zbrush into 3ds max then when i export it again in SD it show perfectly in the 3d view.
  • Kessler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kessler polycounter lvl 17
    caser that tile work is really amazing. GG
  • R_Petersen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crosspost

Quick update on my wall tile. I pushed the random tilt of the tiles up a bit and also upped the color and gloss value of the water stains to help them read better

o8x0k9c.png

DQ7rD0T.png

o4NhOcH.png

2vApZSV.png
  • R_Petersen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crosspost

I also started work on a padded wall texture. The reference I am pulling from has the material with little wear, but I wanted to add a little bit of character to it. So I decided to rub away at some of the coating to break up the gloss. And in very limited locations I wore it away enough to expose the foam beneath it.

I feel that I have not quite yet got the billowy feel of the material down so that's next on my list. Any other comments or suggestions are welcome.

REF
    b8yB0Gw.jpg

OVsSWwP.jpg

SCREENS
    zDbFLAQ.png

x18pv0F.png

abUNHxy.png

qpYa14O.png
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Petersen Looking good man!

Finished up a new brick. Been out for a bit finishing up an art test. Man it was pretty awesome to see how quickly SD can pump out custom textures. It totaled to about 30ish textures in 20 hours. Pretty sweet!

Sad thing is at the end of it SD crashed and refused to open the file again. I was in such a hurry I dumped all the graphs into one file.

I managed to salvage a few and here's one:
    screenshot0011.jpg
    screenshot0021-1024x576.jpg

You can grab it here:
    http://substance.arvinmoses.com/product/city-brick/

Video Explaining how to use:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXLfcMseetU[/ame]

Also Second part of my tutorial video on creating a tileable:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD7zEbWJgvc&feature=youtu.be
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Hmm how do you expose the random seed to painter using a designer material? Have it checked on publish. Am i missing something?

EDIT: weird. Did a reset and worked :D
  • N83ds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Caser Those tiles are awesome! Great breakdown of how you created those shapes. Thanks for sharing.

@Josh The updates to the wood look great! Did you use metalness/roughness workflow or spec/gloss for this. I was wondering if it was spec, what your spec map looked like.
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guy's

What is the correct way to use a world normal map for snow cover on rock?

I tried a few blending modes but nothing work as expected, i also saw the season filter and it mention snow but there is no way to understand how it can be used since the manual is not even talking about it.

SD is a great program and i love it but the documentation is close to non existent on many features in the package and the video tutorials are sometime painful to watch since they never go straight to the point. I would like to see some short straight to the point tutorial like these:

* Creating snow cover with world normal map
    *Creating animated bug crawling on floor
    *Creating lava flow
    *Creating wet look pavement etc i think you get the point with fast and straight to the point useful tutorials that help us speed up our game development since long tutorial explaining every point make us loose our focus on the main goal we need to achieve on a day to day basis.

Regards Peter
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    For the snow, you can use a greyscale conversion node and use its sliders to isolate the green channel. This should give you a mask fro the top of the object. Blending this mask with some noises and using a levels to add contrast to it should do the trick.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    is there any way to convert world space normal maps into tangent space maps inside Designer?
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    Yes but I must admit it's a bit hidden..
    Open the bakers and select the "World Space Direction" baker. Then Switch the input direction to "From Texture" and select your world space normal map in the direction File field.

nolNEgS.jpg
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Trying to learn Substance Designer at the moment. Loving it so far. This is what I'm working on at the moment. Took me 2 whole hours to figure out how to make those diamonds have opposite rotations lol. Need to spend more time in the program.

1EvnAlp.png
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc wrote: »
    For the snow, you can use a greyscale conversion node and use its sliders to isolate the green channel. This should give you a mask fro the top of the object. Blending this mask with some noises and using a levels to add contrast to it should do the trick.

Hi Jerc,

Thank for the straight to the point explanation and i will give it a try later on today.

This program have so much potential but it is sometime very hard to find info and we often don't have time to go by trial and errors.

Regards Peter
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW wrote: »
    Yes but I must admit it's a bit hidden..
    Open the bakers and select the "World Space Direction" baker. Then Switch the input direction to "From Texture" and select your world space normal map in the direction File field.

Hi Nicolas,

Thank for clarifying the correct baking procedure.

Regards Peter