Home Adobe Substance

Substance Designer - Master Thread

Replies

• montana2008
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i just cant get rid of these god damn normal map seams along my UV borders..please help if you can? im going slightly mad :(

LS3niWP.jpg
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    empeck - Thanks! The wall tiles and stone floor shapes were both created using Substance Designer. Any questions just ask!
  • empeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    empeck polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, I've been thinking about replicating the tiles, but I would create the mask in Photoshop and then work with it in the Designer. How did you did those starlike shapes?
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    empeck - Maybe this weekend I can do a write up on it. I just started off with the most basic of shapes to create the tapered rectangle then once that was made used that same shape to create the star shapes. All the while ensuring it tiled ok. Is anyone else interested in a write up?
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Getting used to node based workflows with substance :) working on my quick sci-fi texture to try and learn as much as possible.... still a long way to push for its roughness to be more accurate... Crits appreciated :)

9XvjDJQ.jpg
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    @montana2008 are those edges hard or soft? You may need to soften them to make those go away.
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses polycounter lvl 13
    Not sure how Josh does it but I decided to try it out. Here's my method in SD
    Capture-1024x424.jpg

Honestly though if it's more complex than this - I'd suggest just dropping a simple svg. It'll add something like 5kb on your substance and it'll save you some work. Unless the stuff really makes sense to you, or you need the substance to be adjustable, most times it's not worth the hassle.

I'm planning to do a grass texture the next few days and I'd like to try to control the length and the curve but I think I'm gonna start off with a simple baked png.

As far as the seams - make sure you have the right bake settings. Here are two values to consider:
    bake-1024x695.jpg
    Also yea - check your edge normals. If it's a hard edge you'll need to break the uv seam.

Oh yea... Dave looking really cool!
    I did a double take when I saw it... LOL.
    screenshot0011.png

You might consider scuffing the edges a bit with the metal wear node and giving the panels a bit of lift using blur.

Oh and I got featured on cgchannel for my substance giveaways. Yay!
    http://www.cgchannel.com/2015/01/download-five-free-substance-procedural-materials/
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    empeck wrote: »
    @josh_lynch, excellent work. Just one question - the tiles shape are painted outside of the Designer?
    Are these seams visible on all your bakes or only those using the normal map as input?
    Are you sure you don't have hard edges or unwelded vertices on these triangles?
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started a handpainted style cliff today in Substance Designer today. Should wrap up tomorrow.

rock.png
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Been trying to work out creating a herringbone pattern here in Substance Designer and so far its not coming along. The closest I have gotten is this.

herringbone_mockup.png

Problem with this set up is the edges have a severe drop off in slope.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    josh_lynch wrote: »
    Been trying to work out creating a herringbone pattern here in Substance Designer and so far its not coming along. The closest I have gotten is this.

herringbone_mockup.png

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

I've been trying to do it a month ago but life and other projects got in the way unfortunately. We disscuss it here - http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129560&page=37

Here is the post with what I've got - http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2157823&postcount=916

It seems FX-maps are needed but I also think it can be done using conventional ways. It definitely can be done because Allegorithmic are selling herringbone substance on their site. If you don't solve it I'll get back to it after I finish texturing my crossbow.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses wrote: »
    Not sure how Josh does it but I decided to try it out. Here's my method in SD
    Capture-1024x424.jpg

Honestly though if it's more complex than this - I'd suggest just dropping a simple svg. It'll add something like 5kb on your substance and it'll save you some work. Unless the stuff really makes sense to you, or you need the substance to be adjustable, most times it's not worth the hassle.

I'm planning to do a grass texture the next few days and I'd like to try to control the length and the curve but I think I'm gonna start off with a simple baked png.

As far as the seams - make sure you have the right bake settings. Here are two values to consider:
    bake-1024x695.jpg
    Also yea - check your edge normals. If it's a hard edge you'll need to break the uv seam.

Oh yea... Dave looking really cool!
    I did a double take when I saw it... LOL.
    screenshot0011.png

You might consider scuffing the edges a bit with the metal wear node and giving the panels a bit of lift using blur.

Oh and I got featured on cgchannel for my substance giveaways. Yay!
    http://www.cgchannel.com/2015/01/download-five-free-substance-procedural-materials/

Haha thanks for the critique! Yeah I got some inspiration from your work, its pretty impressive, so for you to even compare ours has made my day :)

I think I'm going to change the grunge/metal underplate too.. maybe try some hazard stripes or something, might even add some more detail to the tile by removing 1 perimeter strip of the anti-slip.

Will update tonight.... I would like to learn to make wood and then rock but am really struggling; organic things are much less easy to break down :(
  • empeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    empeck polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys, you are awesome.
  • Bertmac
  • montana2008
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all your help, i really appreciate your time guys. I would love to get rid of these seams. but everything i try doesn't work. I've read forum after forum about normal maps and smoothing groups and hard/soft edges etc. but again everything i try doesn't work :(

Baking normal maps has always been a problem for me and i hoped substance designer would make it easier for an artist. I'm nearly at the end of this, thinking of giving up :(.

I've attached another screen shot..Can anybody give me some advice? all the verts are welded etc. i've tried one smoothing group and also multiply ones for each uv island but i still get the same seams.

Tw8KkfN.jpg
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    dzibarik - Thanks for your reply. I saw that brick example as well, it is helpful though I am not looking to make it manually using Transform 2D nodes. I also saw your post on mirroring using stripes. I tried that and while that works that method cuts off the the end of "planks" or "brick".

I am after functionality from something like the "Tile Generator" so things like scale, rotation, luminosity, and offset can be adjusted randomly.

FX Maps is something I have not explored. I will try that.

arvinmoses - Thanks for your post. Ill create a write-up on how I created it soon.
  • odd_enough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odd_enough polycounter lvl 9
    @josh_lynch: I'm a couple pages late to the party, but thank you VERY much for putting forth the effort and writing up a cohesive tutorial on cracks in SD :)
  • LahceneBelbachir
    Hey there fellow "substance abusers"! :D

Started to work on this cracked asphalt texture a few hours ago,

I'm a total noob, this is the result so far, loving this amazing software:

NwfQGmt.jpg
    I7I421t.jpg
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13

herringbone_mockup.png

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Set the pattern type to square instead of brick, then apply a blur in the end.
    Worked for me! :)

742dc909c9.png
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest update :)
    bW0Ye4a.jpg

A few more tweaks then I'm calling it done I think. Crits always welcome;

@ LahceneBelbachir looking good; I'd think about the scale though; if it was to tile think how big and noticeable those cracks would be. Also add some roughness and small detail variation; maybe some old oil patches, some unevenness etc :)
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Kosai106 - Thanks for your reply! I think that may be the ticket in the end. I was looking for something that I could get a uniform bevel without having to blur but this works for sure.

I asked around on the Allegorithmic forums and Nicolas Wirrmann posted HERE that he had made something a while back and it was exactly what I was looking for. The setup he created allows for bevel control tile amount etc. Its really great!
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    Kosai106 - Thanks for your reply! I think that may be the ticket in the end. I was looking for something that I could get a uniform bevel without having to blur but this works for sure.

I asked around on the Allegorithmic forums and Nicolas Wirrmann posted HERE that he had made something a while back and it was exactly what I was looking for. The setup he created allows for bevel control tile amount etc. Its really great!

Oh that is nice!
    I need to spend some more time with SD - It can produce some really cool stuff!
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    I started to use bake option, its not bad at all, save quite a mount of time :) ! the only stuff that missing is probably transfering hipoly map applied texture diffuse/image to lowpoly
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    Here is herringbone pattern.
    It's slightly different from the on on the allegorithmic forum, I've added 2 more mask outputs and an exemple.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdbgyvz9qy6306m/herringbone.sbs?dl=0

gS98YJr.gifTXFsZes.jpg
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super cool Nicolas! I think I wanna try to take that bevel section and see if I can create a bevel node with it.
    Super organized too. Wish I made my stuff like that.

@Dave - Thanks for the compliments man! Very humbling to hear. It's looking really good! Can you post it from toolbag or unreal? the SD viewer tends to lose some texture detail.

Trying to create a hand painted cliff inside Substance Designer. It's all procedural - no hand painting..

I think it's getting close but need some help. I want something that will have some roughness and will actually take light rather than a straight diffuse or diffuse/normal. Any ideas?

Giving it away the sbsar- will update with link later.
    screenshot005.jpg
    screenshot000-1024x576.jpg
    screenshot002-1024x576.jpg
    screenshot003.jpg
    screenshot004.jpg
    screenshot005.jpg
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling this done :) (unless anyone has some tips to push it further), been a fun learning process... started making some wood now :) we shall see how it turns out!

Entirely procedural, in-the-box tools/masks only.bfk3DUP.jpg
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9
    When using filters to organize substances, is there a way to specify "EITHER/OR"?

For example, if I want foliage and grass in the same substance category, I'll have filters:

Graph -> URL -> Contains -> path_to_substances
    ALL -> Description -> Contains -> grass

But if I add another filter, say for "foliage," then of course it returns nothing.

I guess in short what I'm asking for is if there's an "OR" operator I can add to the "contains" entry of the filter to grab both "grass" and "foliage."
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EArkham... Couldn't you add a second filter - i.e.
    ALL -> Description -> Contains -> grass = filter1
    ALL -> Description -> Contains -> grass = filter2
    ?

Finished up a chainmail for use with characters. My first material for character texturing.

In case you guy haven't seen I started a site where I'm giving away free sbsars.

Here is the chainmail mat:
    http://substance.arvinmoses.com/product/chainmail/
    screenshot0041.jpg
    screenshot0051.jpg
    screenshot006.jpg
  • DeepSpaceBanana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeepSpaceBanana polycounter
    My attempt at a ground grass material

7zfbCK5.png

any tips? still feels pretty lackluster =(
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    tzydpro - Cool! Its a good start. Adding more hue value and saturation shift would help a lot to make the blades feel more organic. As well where there is currently black is a great opportunity to add some dirt. Looking forward to updates!
  • N83ds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to everyone on this forum page and Allgorithmic for inspiring me to create some textures again.
    I just got started with this program, but it seems like it can do anything.

I tried some concrete, ceramic tiles, mud/dirt, rubber, wood floors but I wanted to show what I have been making so far.

All these are WIP and took about 3 hours on average so far...
    In no particular order...

twoTone.png

sameTone.png

woodDark.png

switch.jpg

wood4.png

wood6.png

tileN2.JPG

rubber_09.png

rubber_07.png
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SUBSTANCE CHALLENGE!
    Hey we haven't done one yet but how about a substance challenge? Someone posts a texture and we try to recreate? I don't have any ideas on what texture to do, but maybe some one else does?

@Nicolas Thanks for the share!

Also could someone help me here...
    I'm trying to get a handpainted look out of Designer. I need something to maybe posterize my shadows. I'm using Rogelio's curvature node to get the peaks, but I need to get them to look a little more like paint strokes. I think maybe I can use a directional warp or blur to get something like paint strokes on the lower end.

Any ideas that can point me in the right direction?
    screenshot000-1024x576.jpg
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EArkham... Couldn't you add a second filter - i.e.
    ALL -> Description -> Contains -> grass = filter1
    ALL -> Description -> Contains -> grass = filter2
    ?]

Well, yeah, I can split them up under more filters but I don't want to do that -- I want to combine grass, ivy, etc into one rather than have a single material under the "ivy" grouping and then 3 under "grass" etc etc.

Adding a second filter under one grouping only shows materials that match BOTH filters. So one for "grass" and then one for "ivy" is going to show materials that have both "grass" and "ivy" in the category/name/etc (in other words, no materials).
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm... see what you're saying. You could try sorting it via tags. Tag them both as nature. So you could filter it via Description, and filter it via tags.
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm... see what you're saying. You could try sorting it via tags. Tag them both as nature. So you could filter it via Description, and filter it via tags.

Yeah, I'm thinking that's probably the only solution unless they add in more filter options. Take some time to manually tag all the materials.
  • LahceneBelbachir
    Thanks a bunch @Nicolas and @arvinmoses for the free substances!

A challenge would be awesome, count me definetly in.
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    I think a challenge is a great idea. I've been doing something similar with a friend of mine where we pick a texture from CGtextures or some thing and try to emulate it in SD. We do a google hangout session and share each other's screens so we can see what the other is doing and figure stuff out together.

I do have a question for the thread though, and forgive me if this has been answered in the thread somewhere. I started to go through it from page 1, then I realized there were 45 pages :P

How do I prevent a transform 2D node from tiling the shape I'm transforming? I'm watching a video where the guy clearly has that set up, but he never says what he did.
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey if you have a texture you think would be cool to try, please post it. Maybe we can choose from 3-4 textures a la the noob or character challenge.

As far as the tiling - switch tiling to absolute, then switch it to no tile.
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    Ah yeah, it was the setting it to absolute before I could change the Tiling Mode that was the snag. Thanks! I'll post some work soon!
  • LahceneBelbachir
    Another asphalt texture I started today, current progress,
    any suggestions are welcome :).

Substance package: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e8wr85c5e4xcxss/Asphalt_Light.sbs?dl=0

BjsXZdi.jpg

Update 2:

mr9L3xx.jpg

Update 3:

VZdMSpv.jpg
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little closer to that hand painted look inside Substance Designer... Tough figuring this out..
    screenshot005.png
    screenshot004.png
    screenshot003.png
    screenshot002.png

Again all procedural - no actual painting
  • LahceneBelbachir
    @arvinmoses Wow that's looking awesome, especially the last pic, amazing job.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had to edit this; realised i setup the wrong SRGB values;

Fully procedural :)

ebpY9F3.png
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorted my issue :)
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    Had fun making the Camo fabric for a rifle strap that I m working on, Never tried any cloth in SD but took about 20 min to make it with a lot of happy accidents.
    I love happy accidents:)

Enjoy.

Camo_Fabric_press_by-RonMayland.jpg

Camo_Fabric_graph_by-RonMayland.jpg
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really digging this. Great job!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    That's the thing huh, why would anybody in his right mind still create patterns by hand, when you can do them in Substance Designer!?
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very early WIP of my substance wood :) - again 100% procedural :)

PLNNKG5.jpg
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    devingeesr polycounter lvl 13
    Some tiles
    tile_01.jpg

more tiles
    tile_02.jpg

missing tiles
    tile_02d.jpg