Home Dota 2

Dota 2 workshop monthly unnoficial competition #11 - December

Replies

• mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys :) , I started an centaur shoulder item for this contest with TheBladeofEvil'sBane

Progress so far
    23kxkb4.jpg
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaaand done:) . Guess its time to rush for the january contest.

Hope they are interested in single items aswell :D

Winter warior's cape by mihalceanu and TheBladeofEvil'sBane

200x200.resizedimage
  • ponyplop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that centaur cape is looking really nice! good job (y)
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    rly nice one mihal, but i dont rly think it fits alot with the wintertheme :/
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    Shock that comes down to me as conceptual artist, I didn't want to be literal and do ice on him so I went with what horses are fitted with in winter and made it fit the hero by making it war-like. Great Job Mihal!
  • foxclover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the centaur cape, hope it gets in the game. I think fur trims look wintery, and fits centaur very well. Was the fringe of the cape accomplished with alphas? It looks like it would cost a LOT of triangles
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    well ;) its totaly no problem at all. i mean its a good design and a good item!
    he just would be able to wear this also in summer without any problem^^
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foxclover : yes , they are strips of mesh with alpha :)

Shock: basicly its a cape that you can cover yourself in cold days . Centaur is too manly to wear it at all times tho' :)

Ty guys:)
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    Some nice items here! cant wait to see all the results.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    nice one Mihalceanu, loved the model =]

Xajai, i aproved your post, now you can post freely on polycount

btw guys, since we have the new even by Valve, what you guys think about stoping it for one month and we get back in february?
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it should continue because an artist like me has no chance in that event and while the other pro artists working on CNY maybe there will be a chance for me to win the next month's competition.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    cagdasx44 wrote: »
    I think it should continue because an artist like me has no chance in that event and while the other pro artists working on CNY maybe there will be a chance for me to win the next month's competition.

Do you really want to win something if you're not being challenged by your competitors? Doesn't seem very fun to me.

As for the original question, since it seems like not a lot of people participated in December, January's turnout might be worse with the event going on. So I wouldn't mind if the monthly comp is put on hold
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think there are people who thinks like me, ı mean who will not join valve's event. And it means they can join this. And it would be like the competition of unexperienced.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    I think that if there is an official challenge out by Valve, and if we really wanna show up in numbers as the polycount community, it would be worth postponing for a month. Splitting interest with 2 competitions might be a little tough to handle for collabs and other group projects.

That being said since it is unofficial, i don't know how much it would hurt just to have this competitions continue(people will probably just make a ton of non-cny related art anyways, and that could easily just be dumped here and judged), it just might not be as heavily populated/disorganized, and that might not be as fun/or a learning experience as the valve challenge where everyone is shooting for something in a same style.

As far as a competition of the inexperienced, I'm sure for every bad-ass artist joining the CNY competition, there is another one who decided to do their own thing for January. I wouldn't really think that artists choose what to do related to skill level, but more because it's something they want to make or work on, or feel challenged to make. Sorry if that's a bit off topic, just my 2 cents.
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well guys, you know that we can just make the january comp have the chinese theme :),but yeah , I agree with postponing until feb:)

I agree that everyone should challenge themself for the valve comp no mather the skill level . Thats the only way we can learn :) imo
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Why don't we just combine the two months together for a big competition? Start of the new year strong. CNY ends Jan 15, so that would leave 16 days until feb competition. If you combine jan and feb we can have a bigger competition like couriers or sets(depending on the competition). 59 or 44 days depending one whether it starts on the 1st or the 16th.

I don't know, I'm just throwing it out there.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    im up for what ghost said. best idea.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! happy new year!

Ghost idea would be nice, i was talking right now with Adam and we have some new ideas for this contest. I will give more information when i have them, but at least we are going to have more prizes =]

that Valve Event got a lot of guys unprepared and also the holidays helped to reduce the amount of finished works on this month, i think that small break will be nice for us to get some a fresh restart and better motivated.

and i need to say, thanks everyone that participated these months, We got some great months, even got a support from Valve. I hope 2014 will be a lot better for our competition!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my bad with the delay guys, the end of the year was a little caotic here.
    Shock remembered me that i never updated the finished entries.

its is done now, let me know if i forget anyone and sinc there is nto much items we can vote on the winners