Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jermaineb polycounter lvl 13
    this is super fantastic D:
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    Those materials and colors! Great work both of you!
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Congrats guys, incredibly inspiring stuff!
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    For some reason I really really love that last shot :) Good stuff all around, can't wait to get my hands on the package and have a look!
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    WOW. I can't wait to see what you guys did with the material settings! How much of this is an enclosed 'playable' space and how much of it is built for the screenshots? I ask because if you are releasing the UDK files, I will get a chance to wander around this in an Occulus Rift in a couple of weeks...
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    great work helder! Cant wait for the package ;)
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    I wanna touch your package, Helder.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    In places it looks like really polished concept art... looks amazing.
  • LuCh!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    whaaat? looking amazing!
    love the colors, love the contrast of indoors and outdoor, loveing everything! xD
    a question, the horizontal tubes in the wall, is that only with a normal map are is there a curve in the wall aswell? can't tell for sure

oh, and shot5 just looks like an illustration, so clean and again amazing colors
  • Twoflower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daymn that looks great! really like the colors of the scene :)
  • bobmartien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bobmartien polycounter lvl 11
    Dayum.
    This is really cool ?

A little TX breakdown will be awesome ! :)
  • PsychicFreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stunning work. Really looking forward to the scene release. Gonna be picking through that with a fine tooth comb :D
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Man, awesome all around! I am especially impressed by what you accomplished in terms of lighting and materials from your second to last pass to your final one. I can't wait to check out the udk scene.
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Man, this is awesome. I really love the colors and materials in the scene! :)
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    You guys nailed it! Love the art style and love that 'next-gen' vibe :)
  • chrisavigni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisavigni polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome. Simply beautiful!
  • DcPunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :O

Hrrrrrrgggnnnhhhhhhh. That is awesome! I'm awaiting the package!
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Absolutely amazing work guys. Looking forward to seeing a breakdown.
  • Trevelyan .
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevelyan . polycounter lvl 11
    Great job guys, those glossy metals read really, really nicely and the holographic globe with lighting affects looks ace! Will be sure to check it out when you release the package!
  • Armangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armangelo polycounter lvl 6
    This is amazing! I want to learn everything about this scene. I'm so inspired right now.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    lovely cant wait till i can get my hands on the pacakge to check out how you did the image based reflections, and see your material setups
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    Holy fuck this is making my penis erect from awesome art!! So inspired by this. Well done guys.
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Thanks for sharing! Will be great to dissect this piece and hopefully I will find some pieces of your brains! Will be s awesome. And I also love this piece so much, really one of my most favorite 3d environments I have ever witnessed. Wonderful work <3 ^^

Best regards Nuke
  • rambooze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rambooze polycounter lvl 7
    Impressive and very inspiring work. Solid claim to win the competition. Good luck!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    boo shit , sucks !!!

you guys should sell shoes or something.

( love the lightning and the wet materials ! congratulations you nutters !!!! , now make a 1080 p walpaper version for us ! and a break of the process of making this :D )
  • desktoppirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    desktoppirate polycounter lvl 11
    Stunning. Those drips and materials are sooo good. Congrats to you both, its awesome to see lots of colour in scenes like this.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Wow your work is unbelievable!

This scene raps up UE3 for me, what a great engine it has been, can it really get any better before UE4?

mind_blown.gif
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Oh wow, fuck me, thanks so much for your comments everyone!! :poly115: I was not expecting it to get this reception!
    now make a 1080 p walpaper version for us ! and a break of the process of making this :D )

I only posted the 720p versions cos I don't wanna spam the forum with gigantic pics, but if you click each screenshot it should take you to the 1920*1080 versions of it.
    But here's a link to the Flickr gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/helder_pinto/sets/72157635165379597/

As for the breakup, I'm gonna take a break and then we'll put together a making-of of some sorts.
  • PhilipK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilipK polycounter lvl 10
    Agreed, thanks so much for the comments here :) Makes me really happy to read. And big thanks for all the great feedback during the development of it!
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    i have a question! can i have your children? :P lool jk

anyway i love it, i don't quite remember an environment that made me want to go and play a game in it this much in a long while, love the color and the contrast from organic to industrial/tech as you go farther away from the window
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Solid game art, there is no questioning that. It is clear you guys are professionals. The choice of colors and lighting are interesting and take all of my admiration.

While there is no questioning the capabilities you both possess as 3D game artists; pushing polies, working with materials, lighting, and so on, I do feel that the design of the actual game space is rather safe. (Save for that exterior, that's pretty interesting.)

It's familiar. We've seen this before in a sci-fi setting.

Metal pipes in the walls.

Metal panels on everything.

All leading to a focal point that is very vague in what its function is.

The separation and contrast in materials seems to be a contrast in metalic surfaces. There isn't a lot being offered here besides that, it feels like. (I know there is more than metal in the scene, but I think I have made my point).

If it wasn't for the lighting, post, and colours I'd actually be pretty upset to see that you two decided to collaborate on an environment such as this. I wouldn't have been convinced it was enough of a challenge for this duo.

The focus point feels like an afterthought to the overall design. Why is that planet being projected like that in a Terraforming Reactor? Hell, what is a Terraforming Reactor? Why is it in such an open, spacious scene overlooking that lush terrain? Where are the instrument panels someone would use to interface with that projceted planet or the reactor itself? Now, I know you guys will have answers to these questions, but what I am really getting at is that there isn't much of a concrete story here. It's all a bit vague when I really don't think it needed to be. In my opinion that is a byproduct of an afterthought in design.

I love you guys. And I love the art you both do. I have been a fan for ages and I am super happy you guys collaborated on this. Like I said, there is no questioning your abilities as 3D game artists. I just wish you guys really knocked it out of the park with the art AND the design of the space.

-2 cents <3
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    Its fucking brilliant guys. Bravo!
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    adam wrote: »
    Solid game art, there is no questioning that. It is clear you guys are professionals. The choice of colors and lighting are interesting and take all of my admiration.

While there is no questioning the capabilities you both possess as 3D game artists; pushing polies, working with materials, lighting, and so on, I do feel that the design of the actual game space is rather safe. (Save for that exterior, that's pretty interesting.)

It's familiar. We've seen this before in a sci-fi setting.

Metal pipes in the walls.

Metal panels on everything.

All leading to a focal point that is very vague in what its function is.

The separation and contrast in materials seems to be a contrast in metalic surfaces. There isn't a lot being offered here besides that, it feels like. (I know there is more than metal in the scene, but I think I have made my point).

If it wasn't for the lighting, post, and colours I'd actually be pretty upset to see that you two decided to collaborate on an environment such as this. I wouldn't have been convinced it was enough of a challenge for this duo.

The focus point feels like an afterthought to the overall design. Why is that planet being projected like that in a Terraforming Reactor? Hell, what is a Terraforming Reactor? Why is it in such an open, spacious scene overlooking that lush terrain? Where are the instrument panels someone would use to interface with that projceted planet or the reactor itself? Now, I know you guys will have answers to these questions, but what I am really getting at is that there isn't much of a concrete story here. It's all a bit vague when I really don't think it needed to be. In my opinion that is a byproduct of an afterthought in design.

I love you guys. And I love the art you both do. I have been a fan for ages and I am super happy you guys collaborated on this. Like I said, there is no questioning your abilities as 3D game artists. I just wish you guys really knocked it out of the park with the art AND the design of the space.

-2 cents <3

Nice to see some proper crits in this thread.

It's all well and good getting praise, obviously, it's a very technically efficient scene, but I was saying early on that it feels very 'modular' still in it's design. A lot of the wall panels etc look like non-functional, random panels that just scream 'ndo' to me. I'd have like to have seen more of a flow in terms of architecture.

As I said before, great work on the scene, but I think some things could have been improved on.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    It's obvious that this is great work, so bravo on that :) but I do have to say( and I never expected to hear me saying this!), perhaps there is a little bit too much color. Or maybe it's because it's such a busy scene, I really liked this stage a lot:

i0EFCSi.jpg

Great stuff nonetheless, you make me jealous.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    I have to say HP that the only one who even comes close to making UDK levels as sexy as yours is Jordan Walker and he's sort of cheating since he works for Epic :P
    My god this is amazing! PK, your work is fantastic too so seeing the two of you collaborate on a project is awe inspiring!
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    are you still planning on releasing the upk and udk files for this, really interested to see your use of image reflections, and what you got going on in the wet metal.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    adam, thanks so much for the feedback!
    I actually agree, function is always a big factor when you try to make sci-fi. We tried to make something a little bit out of the box, that looked "fantastical" yet somehow looked familiar and looked like it has a function and a purpose, or we tried our best anyway, ahah!
    It's a hard thing to do tho and finding the balance is always tricky, and that blurry line stands on very subjective ground. Very valid feedback, thanks man!

As for the scene, i'm going through some really busy times but as soon as I find the time I'll put it out there, hopefully this holidays! :)

Thanks all!
  • underfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    underfox polycounter lvl 7
    What a fantastic work you guys did. Everything is breathing quality, from the material, to the lightning, everything is ace here.

Est
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
    Amazing! Straight to the inspiration station. Beautifully done! Having the UDK package for the Holidays would be awesome treat!!
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Hey guys, here's a 1 minute flythrough PhilK put together!

next up, the release of the level, will try and do it before xmas! :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWgGQ1GEwbI&amp;sns=fb&quot;]Arbor Vitae - UDK Scene flythrough - YouTube[/ame]
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Really cool of you guys to release the scene.
    That is going to be a really nice and educative christmas present. :)

Just a small thing, but at 0:35 in the video, is that a piece of Ivy clipping trough the glass?
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    joeriv wrote: »
    Just a small thing, but at 0:35 in the video, is that a piece of Ivy clipping trough the glass?

ahah, oops!
  • supaclueless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    supaclueless polycounter lvl 12
    Looking forward to the release of your level! I wanna see the breakdown on the lighting and textures and stuff!

Also Merry Christmas to all polycounters!
  • travisdreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    travisdreams polycounter lvl 6
    even though it's past christmas, i'm still excited to see the release of the level for this! very inspiring work!
  • 3Dmoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, amazing work! can't wait for the upk release! I've just started to get into environment mapping and being able to break this scene down would be awesome
  • Vatanist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vatanist polycounter lvl 11
    Looking forward to UDK package. I hope you guys haven't changed ur minds about releasing it :)
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    We have not no, It's just that I have been extremely busy since the beginning of the year and I've been getting home exhausted. I will try and do it this weekend, and once again, thanks everyone for the nice comments and messages!
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HughieDM polycounter lvl 7
    Gorgeous scene, and love all the work done!

Where or who did the music for you?
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    Any news on the release of the level? I know y'all must be super busy. Just excited to see some of the expertise that went behind the making of it.