Home Dota 2

Pior's workshop

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Vovo - yup, it's a bit of bet really ! We'll see how it goes ...

Got some work done on #6. I should probably test out the polygon budget for the neck part before going further ...

pior_lina_6_wip_002-small_zps5efb7e26.jpg~original
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    That looks lovely pior! :D
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks !
    I was getting worried that things wouldn't fit within budget ... Turns out, it's tight but it fits (at least as far as the high LODs are concerned !)

pior_lina_6_wip_003_zpsb5e68766.jpg~original

pior_lina_6_wip_004_zps9fada70c.jpg~original

I am also trying to document all the technical steps with video recordings (pretty much everything except for the sculpting part, since there are so many tutorials and sculpting videos out there already anyways).

So far I have been covering Topogun retopo over a decimated sculpt, cleaning up the meshes in MayaLT, and UVmapping with Roadkill and LT. Next up, baking things down with Xnormal and Handplane, texturing with Photoshop and Mudbox and/or Zbrush, and exporting to the game importer using LT. I expect editing to take forever but we'll see !
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Looks amazing pior, can't wait to see the videos!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting there ! Recording the whole process is slowing me down a bit, but now it's time for the fun texturing part anyways :) (And hopefully particles too !)

pior_lina_6_wip_006-small_zps3d90cd06.jpg~original
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    it looks awesome ! cant wait to see the videos too :D
  • Kraken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraken interpolator
    Your work is inspiring as always!
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Ooohhhhh yeahhhhh
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    You are a damn genious
    After browsing through your thread i just want to delete my "concept" thread, crawl under my bed and cry myself to sleep:D
    Seriously, every time i do a concept and like it, i'm gonna return to your thread to remind me that it is possible to do waa...ay better, and polish it.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    nice! in budget too? rawr!
  • Andumy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    feedback? opinions?
    lina.gif
  • Malloy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malloy polycounter lvl 6
    personally, I think the bald look works wonderfully with her fiery highlights. It's fabulous!
  • Andumy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    Malloy wrote: »
    personally, I think the bald look works wonderfully with her fiery highlights. It's fabulous!
    haha lol
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice !!!

I think there might be some scale adjustments to be done later on with the effect as a whole, but as far as the fireballs themselves are concerned I think they are perfect - they look very, very good. Great job !

On my end I have been exploring the technical steps required in order to add an FX emitter to models without one originally too. I suppose that my process is very similar if not identical to what Andumy is doing - I'll make sure to share it all once I manage to replicate it on another custom Lina. Fun stuff ! Here's a test.

Also, here is an example of the kind of videos I am working on. Some will be accelerated timelapses like this one, with a commentary added on top explaining what is going on in broad terms ; others will be realtime, with every step explained in detail.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNaxMpDpOiw&list=UUFxmaQxO_m_REQKHNOpYKNA"]Projecting Zbrush Matcaps back onto a model as Polypaint - timelapse 4x - YouTube[/ame]

Besides that, thanks for the kind words guys. Jlem : that's nice of you to say, but I see tons of flaws in everything I do - which in turn becomes a motivation to work on these weaknesses for the next piece. It's a never ending process, but I find that the vibe of the Dota2 Workshop makes it very pleasurable :)

Also, quite ironically, I think that a good way to progress is to *not* look at other artist's work too much - at least not every day. The crazy badass guys out there working in the entertainment industry definitely set a high bar to try and reach, but sometimes I think it's good to shut down the outside world a little and enjoy one's own bubble :)
  • Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
  • StuBurrito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StuBurrito polycounter lvl 7
    Wow! Thank you Pior that's an amazing trick I had never thought of before.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Pior. You are a rare gem between the top artists in terms of sharing valuable information and techniques. I salute you man and looking forward to the videos.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    pior <3 I will definitely be using this on my next sculpt, so ingenious!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha yeah - that's the dirtiest trick in the book really ... it doesn't work for everything, but for some details here and there it definitely helps (that's basically equivalent to the step shown on page 4 of the Valve Character Texture Guide PDF).

Anyways - #6 is almost done, with still some cleanup and color tweaking to do, the hair to paint properly and a little bit of weathering to add. And then there's still the FX to incorporate...

pior_lina_6_wip_007-small_zpsa45920e1.jpg~original

Getting there !
  • danpaz3d
  • Sumers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sumers polycounter lvl 10
    Fantastic work, Pior, and thanks for sharing your technics - very simple and very useful.
    About lina - i love the concept but in 3d mask looks wrong somehow. Check space between eyes, looks like they sits too far from eachother
  • nephilim93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nephilim93 null
    Agree with Sumers, the eyes look a bit off. Try extruding the eye faces on Lina directly forwards to check they line up properly. with the mask eyeholes.

Also.

Do the one with feathers :D
  • Bernoully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bernoully polycounter lvl 4
    Lookin' good! Just feels like the space between her eyes on the mask are further apart than usual. Maybe it's just me?
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    the eyes look a bit too far apart if you ask me, the rest of it is all really nice
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for mentioning the eye placement - it totally escaped me despite looking at it for hours. Fixing it now !
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, #6 is a wrap !

Fixing the eyes actually took a while - for the longest time I didn't realize that they were not only too far apart, but also too small and set too low in relation to the rest of the face, which in turn affected the hairline. Thanks a lot to those who pointed it out, I appreciate it :)

Getting the fire effect to work took a while as well ... I have a lot of new notes to clean up in that regard. It really is a convoluted process involving decompiling/recompiling items, manually adding the coordinates of emitter points inside a .qc file, and so on. But I think I got it down now.

lina_coiffures_gallery_h6_001-small_zpsdffed964.jpg~original

lina_coiffures_gallery_h6_002-small_zpsc3adc6aa.jpg~original

And a ingame preview :

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY0zG9mLr6k&quot;]Coiffes of The Firebrand - Dota 2 Lina customisation pack - Hair and Neck #6 - YouTube[/ame]

So, from there I am thinking of progressively submitting little bundles of 3 of these hair+neck combos to the Workshop. Since #6 is ready, I think I will simply bundle it with the next two being finished next - and then bundle the next 3 together, and so on. That way, if by any chance Valve wants to add them, they can either add mini bundles of 3x2 items, or, go for the whole collection whenever it is completed.

Or ... shall the individual items simply be submitted as soon as they are ready ? I could see benefits in such a spread out approach, with new "fire Linas" regularly appearing in the Workshop. What do you guys think ?

Lastly, do you guys want to agree on a deadline for all this ? That way we would end up submitting a nice consistent pack, made of whichever item finished by the time the deadline comes (and the rest later). If so, what kind of date would work for you guys ?

Let me know, I am all ears :)
  • schnoodle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    schnoodle polycounter lvl 3
    love this lina set!!! I personally think it would be great to just bundle them, but i did just start doing this so take that with a grain of salt.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good as always man!

I like the idea of mini bundles of 3 sets that way if they get added it won't saturate Lina's item pool too much as opposed to them all getting adding at the same time. That said, I think it would be a good idea to spread out when the mini bundles are submitted.

As far as deadlines go I say we can set deadlines for each 3 set mini-bundle. I'm working on my pair, and should be done fairly soon then I can pass it on to you for particle magic :D
  • Andumy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    Hehe ,i like how you managed the particles ,really cool .
    I also would go for mini bundles ,because i thing if there will be like 9 different submission will be a bit saturated.
    about the deadline i hope to finish mine soon,maybe even in the first bundle so i'm pushing hard :D
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input guys !

Besides that, while working on my notes about emitters and doing some more tests I noticed something which is worth making people aware of : the Alien Swarm tools which I use for particle authoring (and maybe even the source SDK in general ?) seem to be conflicting with proper Maya operation. I am not sure if the issue is caused by the SDK tools as launched from the Steam tool section or by the game itself when launched in tools mode (with the -tools -nop4 launch options), but I know for sure that one of these definitely messes with the Python environment variables of one's OS, which in turns breaks Maya. For instance, it makes Maya unable to save and load files. As seen here :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/pior_ubb/maya_alienswarm_python_issue_zpsa6336efd.png~original

Now this is not a deal breaker as it can be rather easily switched back in the Windows environment variables settings, but I thought that would be important information to share anyways. It has been brought up on the Steam Forums before, but there's not much discussion about it, sadly.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2753326
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »
    Thanks for the input guys !

Besides that, while working on my notes about emitters and doing some more tests I noticed something which is worth making people aware of : the Alien Swarm tools which I use for particle authoring (and maybe even the source SDK in general ?) seem to be conflicting with proper Maya operation. I am not sure if the issue is caused by the SDK tools as launched from the Steam tool section or by the game itself when launched in tools mode (with the -tools -nop4 launch options), but I know for sure that one of these definitely messes with the Python environment variables of one's OS, which in turns breaks Maya. For instance, it makes Maya unable to save and load files. As seen here :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/pior_ubb/maya_alienswarm_python_issue_zpsa6336efd.png~original

Now this is not a deal breaker as it can be rather easily switched back in the Windows environment variables settings, but I thought that would be important information to share anyways. It has been brought up on the Steam Forums before, but there's not much discussion about it, sadly.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2753326

Oh man - I borked up Maya on my work computer pretty well trying to install the Maya SMD exporter stuff a while back :D It turned out to be exactly the problem you outline above, where the environment variables are defined wrongly and it took a couple of the TAs here a good while to sort everything out again. I vowed to use Max for all my DOTA needs from then on!

The headddress is looking great BTW - I love the particles!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha yeah - it really quite freaked me out the first time it happened, and even with that experience under the belt I got confused the second time too :)

Also, in passing - I just put that together for those participating in the pack. Obviously things can be tweaked from there, but I thought it could be a useful resource :

Lina_materials_zps901220f2.png~original

I hope this helps !
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the spam - but since Prophet9 sent me his lowpoly for feedback, it was possible to import a test version of #3 quite early on (with simple per-face materials) which in turn will allows for early rigging tweaks and particle tests. Needless to say, I am quite excited about this :)

lina_h3_prophet9_wip_002_zps79b57ea9.jpg~original

<3
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are my findings and notes about custom particle effects :

http://pioroberson.com/files/Adding%20emitters%20and%20custom%20effects%20to%20Dota2%20cosmetics.pdf

Note that on one hand, none of that is officially supported in the Workshop... but on the other hand, Valve has been accepting such items with custom effects already, and even publishing some themselves, so I suppose that it is fair to make this information public. And after all, this is merely a combination of information already available out there - just compiled into one document.

Also note that since I have not submitted such an enhanced item yet (planning to do so next week or so with the fire Lina hairstyles above), I am not exactly sure about the submission process for such assets. As far as I know adding new effects involves editing a hero effect file and adding one's own inside it, meaning that from there Valve needs to double check everything and merge the files together somehow, which seems like a bit of a hack and quite a bit of work on their end...

I have to say that gathering that information was a bit difficult - it's almost like a bit of a secret, but there's always a way to reverse engineer stuff - decompiling stock assets was quite useful in that regard :) Now of course I suppose that it's up to us to use this "power" sparingly, not making every item glow like a Christmas tree... If anything, that could be a push for particles effects (and rules !) to be added to the workshop. Last but not least, I have zero insider's knowledge regarding particle effects being okay to submit or not ; what I mean by that is that, working on such effects is a bit of a risk. Valve could very well decide to not accept such items at all, since, again, they are not officially supported at this time.

Anyways - let me know what you think ! And thanks a lot to those who helped me gather this information and test things out - you know who you are ;)

[edit] Added a warning about Python environment variables, which seem to be overwritten by the Alien Swarm tools. This totally breaks Maya, so if you are not familiar with manually editing environment variables on your system you might want to stay away from all that :)
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Just wow! While lots of people keep the whole particle thing like a taboo/secret just like you said, always avoiding questions and refusing to give directions about anything related to it, you share your knowledge posting a freaking in-depth guide on how to do it. What a class act, keep up the amazing work and attitude!
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    belkun wrote: »
    Just wow! While lots of people keep the whole particle thing like a taboo/secret just like you said, always avoiding questions and refusing to give directions about anything related to it, you share your knowledge posting a freaking in-depth guide on how to do it. What a class act, keep up the amazing work and attitude!

exactly

Thanks a lot pior. u r the man! <3
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    Amazing. Thanks so much. :)
  • kendmd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    pior, you are THE man!
  • Nikey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Pior. You're the best!
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for sharing this information :)

So I've read through this guide and maybe you can add some information/shed some more light to the following

What are qc files
    I'm thinking its just the directory that referenced the meshes, animations, etc.

What are pcf files?
    Basically the file which contains particle effects (there can be any number of particle effects to one pcf file)

What is an attachment?
    The location where particles emit from (the emitter)

What code is being used (I think its very important to mention since a little mistake in coding results in everything not working)

Parts that were unclear to me:

on Page 15, you had a the code template yellow being the attachment (where the emitter is located) and the teal, the template of new code.

Can you explain/correct the definitions of
    name <-- name of the particle effect
    attachment_type <-- ???
    attachment point <---- The name of the attachment previously described (yellow area)

Perhaps give some definition to the important particle system terms you gave on page 24

Operator
    - Movement Lock to Control Point
    - Set Control Point To Particles' Center
    ForceGenerator
    - Pull towards control point

What is a control point? (Emitter?)

To make some things easier to see, maybe add all the helpful links/ required software in its own page so it'll be easier to see. The software you listed on page 4(tools and prerequisites) are hard to see without reading having to re-read.

Again, thanks for sharing this information
  • hayes87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hayes87 polycounter lvl 6
    ah, thanks a lot. Great info!
    have you tried crowbar to decompile the models? it works better, doesnt need a sdk to decompile and the whole renaming shenanigan. Also you can use the Dota 2´s studiomdl.exe to compile.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/CrowbarTool
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    If I could give you a gold star, then I would give you two.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    YAH DA REAL MVP !
  • Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    *bows* thank you for sharing !! cant wait to try out some particles.
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    Amazing work. I picked up my Substrata book today and found your name inside! Impressive work in there and for your particles guide here. Thanks!
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome, but... This just means more work! I'm going to have to make a million particles now! Even worse, I WANT to.

It's been a while since I rolled up my sleeves and got dirty in some qc files.

Edit: I tried the Crowbar decompiler that Hayes mentioned. It decompiles dota2 mdls without needing to rename the vtx files and works really really well!
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    nice, thx heaps mate!
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the share, you the man!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am glad to hear that the particle information is appreciated ! I hope it will help answering the most common questions about qc recompiling. GhostD, thank you for your detailed proofreading - I will make sure to go over these points whenever I get a chance to edit the document again.

Besides that, I could not dedicate much time to the Linas over this past month or so, therefore I squeezed in a texturing job for a Sniper set that Sumers and Andumy are working on - "Smoke of War", as seen here : http://funkyimg.com/i/Jb3N.jpg

Cross-posting from Sumer's thread :

sniper_smoke_wip_007-small_zps92beb701.jpg~original

I now have time to resume work on the Linas - in parallel with more hero set design and cleanup. This will be a busy September !