Home Technical Talk

TB2 beta thread

Replies

• seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    hey guys, sorry been snowed under working last couple of weeks and had no time to play, those eyeballs look amazing :D

last post in the thread for me, more a personal preference thing than a bug I guess, but the mesh translation gizmo's are super, super sensitive when using a tablet....I only have to more a few pixels to have the mesh spinning 360's...any thoughts on why that could be happening?
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Pre-ordered as soon as I got home. Can. Not. Wait.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    seth. wrote: »
    last post in the thread for me, more a personal preference thing than a bug I guess, but the mesh translation gizmo's are super, super sensitive when using a tablet....I only have to more a few pixels to have the mesh spinning 360's...any thoughts on why that could be happening?

what are you system spec and OS ?

tablet works fine on my end with rotation/translation

it could also be a scale issue...
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    scale issue is a probable, good call MM I will check that out and post back :)

EDIT* Yup scaling up fixed it ....I am an idiot :D
  • jeffdr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffdr polycounter lvl 11
    who would own the license, me or them?
    You would own the license. We attribute the accounts to whomever fills out the purchase information - your name and email will be used.
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M - DX11 with 2gb ddr3
    I haven't tried this exact setup but I imagine you'll be fine. And as for PBR it's not particularly expensive if you mean just the materials themselves. There are some other (optional) features which are a tad slower.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Please for the love of God, I would have thought you would have redone the license system from all the complaints. Someone has said you have not. Searching license in this thread brought up nothing other than this page. So, have you changed the license system? Maybe an online one so you can disable a system and use another system alah Topogun. If not, why not?

If nothing else have you had any reconsideration of using Steam as one of your shop sources? That way it could be easily used on the system we currently are on. I personally would gladly pay a bit more to make up for your loss of the steam overhead costs for that convenience.

It has to be tiring for you all to have to give out new unlock keys every time a person system changes slightly. The USB bit for me is especially annoying since some of my external drives use usb3, and can be plugged only part of the time.
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    They have redone it (tested it yesterday).

You open marmoset on your second computer, click the link in your email, and it's now active on that computer.
    Takes like 1minute to do.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    joeriv wrote: »
    They have redone it (tested it yesterday).

You open marmoset on your second computer, click the link in your email, and it's now active on that computer.
    Takes like 1minute to do.

YES!

Pre-buying.

(Letting person know who told me otherwise as well)

(I assume its a one click deactivation on the first computer?)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    YES!

Pre-buying.

(Letting person know who told me otherwise as well)

(I assume its a one click deactivation on the first computer?)

No deactivation is required, simply load it up on a 2nd computer, log in with your Marmoset ID and it will shoot you an email, click the link and your licence is updated. Switch back to another computer and do the same.

We are certainly aware of the issues with the previous system. The new system is entirely different and we feel like its a lot easier to use, for users and on our end as well.
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    On a sidenote, I was quickly testing it again.

It emailed me a link now to active my account, and I get a message that my 30 day trial has started on both PC's.
    Did the beta end, or did I (or maybe because of the preorders opening up) do something wrong? :p
  • CapableWizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CapableWizard polycounter lvl 9
    jeffdr wrote: »
    You would own the license. We attribute the accounts to whomever fills out the purchase information - your name and email will be used.

I haven't tried this exact setup but I imagine you'll be fine. And as for PBR it's not particularly expensive if you mean just the materials themselves. There are some other (optional) features which are a tad slower.

Thanks for the quick reply, pre-ordered, can't wait! :D
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv wrote: »
    On a sidenote, I was quickly testing it again.

It emailed me a link now to active my account, and I get a message that my 30 day trial has started on both PC's.
    Did the beta end, or did I (or maybe because of the preorders opening up) do something wrong? :p

You didn't do anything wrong, all beta accounts have been switched over to trial accounts now that the pre-order is live. Anyone in the beta program but still on the fence about purchasing will have a 30 day trial period to continue using TB2.

We may also shut the beta program down completely here soon, but if we do this it will just be as a means to get everyone to do a fresh install (there was a bug or two related to old install data).
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    what are these setting in this performance window for ?

9liVaWb.jpg
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Apologies if this has already been answered, but if I upgrade to tb2 from tb1, will I still have access to tb1? Or does my license grant tb2 access only? Not a huge problem; just curious.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    couldn't resist one last Beta play with TB2...so I re rendered the first asset that I tried.

tb2%20final.jpg

Thanks for including me in the beta...its been awesome, cant wait till everyone gets to use it...roll on the 5th.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Just preordered. So excited.

(And, just echoing previous concern, our TB1s will still work, right? I mean, I don't see why they wouldn't, but better safe than sorry.)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM: Just some dev/performance testing stuff.

seth.: Looking good. The way you're talking makes me think you're going to disappear after the beta is over. When we go live we will still be taking feedback in much the same manner, whether you're in the beta program or not we really value user input, so don't be a stranger!

Bek/Joopson: TB1 licences will still continue to function as normal for everyone.
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    seth. wrote: »
    couldn't resist one last Beta play with TB2...so I re rendered the first asset that I tried.

tb2%20final.jpg

dude this is looking great (this is not adding anything to the thread but that had to be said!)
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Thought I would share this as the launch nears, I'm waiting on the fancy eyeball tech before I call this done though...

P9ox8Bt.jpg
  • Madosho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Madosho polycounter lvl 3
    Pre-ordered aswell. Can't wait! :D
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Pre-ordered too ! <3
    Just to be sure, how many computers are allowed by a license ?
    (zBrush allow the user to enable a licence on two different computers maximum for example.)
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, +1 to what Froyok asked. I know I like to have it installed on my home machine of course, but also at work to show-off to colleagues (whom will then go and buy it themselves = more $$$ for you!). :)
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    EarthQuake wrote: »

seth.: Looking good. The way you're talking makes me think you're going to disappear after the beta is over. When we go live we will still be taking feedback in much the same manner, whether you're in the beta program or not we really value user input, so don't be a stranger!

hahaha yeah sorry that did sound a bit final didn't it :)

This is the first Beta that I have been in so its kind of like a milestone for me ( I am that sad :) ) I will definitely be doing my best to break it some more and send you daft emails :)

Again thanks for the inclusion EQ, you guys have really put out a quality software here, and seeing what everyone's been able to do with it has pushed me to get better at what I make in turn.

@ Tits: thanks very much, all I created since my first attempt was adding a subdermal map. Toolbag kinda did the rest once I knew how to use it :D
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Bal wrote: »
    Yeah, +1 to what Froyok asked. I know I like to have it installed on my home machine of course, but also at work to show-off to colleagues (whom will then go and buy it themselves = more $$$ for you!). :)

by "at work" do you mean your employer's computer ? if so, shouldn't your employer buy the license for that ?

also, limit of 1 seat sounds fair enough for only $129 price tag compared to zbrush price which is like around $800.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    pre-ordered as well :)
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    MM wrote: »
    by "at work" do you mean your employer's computer ? if so, shouldn't your employer buy the license for that ?

Well no cause I won't be using it to do any actual work, no reason my employer would buy it.
    But either way I don't mind, being able to install it on two machines is just a nice little bonus.
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Earthquake!

just noted there is a fat sale on Substance designer 4! 50% off! any who it says that its fully supporting marmoset tool bag 2. would you be able to expand on that at all? i cant find anything on that.

day one buyer ;)
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Frozan wrote: »
    Hey Earthquake!

just noted there is a fat sale on Substance designer 4! 50% off! any who it says that its fully supporting marmoset tool bag 2. would you be able to expand on that at all? i cant find anything on that.

day one buyer ;)

check the last texture slot called "extra" and it has a "substance" input option.

IdIddGD.jpg
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    You didn't do anything wrong, all beta accounts have been switched over to trial accounts now that the pre-order is live.

Thanks for the answer, just wanted to make sure.

Had another go at rendering a highpoly in TB2, with some more tweaking I guess I won't have to wait for renders to finish any more in max.
    With the beta almost being done, I have to say, you guys have done an amazing job with TB2, would be foolish not to pick it up.:)

928o.jpg
    55jp.jpg
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    And pre-ordered too! :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    pre-odered as well, really cool being a part of the beta(my first) :D
    Are the glass shaders going to be added in before it releases?
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    hey guys i guess i was too late to show this during the beta but thought i would share with you the results (WIP) of my first 100 per cent pbr oriented character, i have to say marmoset 2 is supreceding every expecation i had of it and cant wait for more features to be added to bring our art to a even higher level :) what do you guys think?

robot.jpg

P.S. do you guys over at marmoset have any timeline on the separate bloom pass for glow? sorry for being so eager :)
  • Rikk The Gaijin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rikk The Gaijin polycounter lvl 6
    Here is my latest creature, running in real-time in Marmoset 2 beta

marmoset2_01.jpg
    marmoset2_02.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v5ZyD-SiFI&quot;]Marmoset Toolbag 2 Beta - AntLion - YouTube[/ame]
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    pushing the saturation beyond 1.0 creates 1 pixel holes all over the model. sharpness strength also contributes to this issue.

f8XTYei.jpg

also, the default alpha for screenshot transparency doesnt seem to render properly. i pushed up the levels to show whats going on. this is not connected to the saturation or anything else it seems.

L5uM6Nj.jpg
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    i dont get any problem even if i push my saturation to the max, could it be an hardware/driver thing?
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I haven't seen it mentioned (but with 19 pages of replies I may have missed it) is there a way to specify what channel of a texture to use? In UDK I tend to combine multiple masks/textures into one file to conserve space. Can I tell TB2 to use the red channel of a loaded texture specifically for a glow mask and then Blue for something else, etc. Rather than splitting up my textures into three different files I could use one and specify the channel.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Azkur wrote: »
    i dont get any problem even if i push my saturation to the max, could it be an hardware/driver thing?

it definitely could be, but i am not alone i think:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1940321&postcount=321

did you turn on transparency when saving screenshots ?

it is a saturation+transparency only bug it seems. saturation works fine without transparency, for me at least...
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    ah ok yeah i didn't use transparency, i didn't realize you needed both for it to appear
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Azkur wrote: »
    ah ok yeah i didn't use transparency, i didn't realize you needed both for it to appear

can you please check and see if you get the same bug, then we can confirm it is not a specific GPU/driver issue ?
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    it definitely could be, but i am not alone i think:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1940321&postcount=321

did you turn on transparency when saving screenshots ?

it is a saturation+transparency only bug it seems. saturation works fine without transparency, for me at least...

Hey
    just tested it again since you are bringing this up
    On those screenshot I used the transparency but the saturation is at 1. didnt touch it.

This is rendered in psd 16 bits ( don't know why i get that kind of result and its allright in psd 8bits):
    5GytJcJ.jpg

and this is in TGA (i get the same result in psd, jpg and png)
    O61dtzO.jpg
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    ok it seems like sharpness also contributes to this bug. what was your sharpness setting ?

if you set sharpness strength to 0 and saturation to 1.0 then there should be no holes at all.
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    ok it seems like sharpness also contributes to this bug. what was your sharpness setting ?

if you set sharpness strength to 0 and saturation to 1.0 then there should be no holes at all.

Right, When I put the sharpness at 0 everything is OK
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    I wanted to drop in and mention that the skin shader makes hair come alive! After reading a siggraph presentation from Disney on their hair renderer I found out that their hair shader makes heavy use of translucency.

(Makes sense but I've never studied hair shading before, mostly hard surface materials.)

So I tried this out in toolbag 2.0 and the results are kick ass. Just use the skin shader and drop the sub dermis and other settings to 0 and make use of the translucency setting with the diffuse map for the hair plugged in and start to play with the settings or alter the diffuse map copy. The results are really nice. It will produce this effect. (The brighter, more saturated color next to the white specular highlight.)

Which brings me to my next question, are there plans to add translucency as it's own module? Would be nice to break it out like you guys did with the peach fuzz module. Also the release date announcement kinda shook up this thread(WOOT!), was there ever a response on how Fresnel is handled? I believe Maddam had a post about it back on page 18.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    @artquest - theoretically translucency should work like that but right now it does not give that good results as far as i have tested. since there is no backface rendering it doesnt show light that is hit on the other side. it will work better once there is working backface/double-sided rendering in tb2, specially if you wanna get some nice backlit effects like this:
    backlit-kitty.jpg

for now fuzz works ok which is already included in the microfiber settings.

btw, i noticed that everytime i hit ctrl+s after an undo i get a save-as window instead of just save action.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Tits wrote: »
    Right, When I put the sharpness at 0 everything is OK

same here, sharpness to 0 removes the dead pixels in a transparency capture
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    @artquest - theoretically translucency should work like that but right now it does not give that good results as far as i have tested. since there is no backface rendering it doesnt show light that is hit on the other side. it will work better once there is working backface/double-sided rendering in tb2, specially if you wanna get some nice backlit effects like this:
    backlit-kitty.jpg

for now fuzz works ok which is already included in the microfiber settings.

btw, i noticed that everytime i hit ctrl+s after an undo i get a save-as window instead of just save action.

I hadn't tested it for back-face response yet, good catch. I mostly have been looking at it for the shadow transition you see on the front (where you get that secondary colored band of highlights next to the white specular highlight that stretches across the front of super shimmery hair.) and not for the strong rim lighting conditions.

Ah so that's why I kept getting the save as window pop up! I wanted to report it as a bug but couldn't figure out what kept causing it.
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    well i just bought my self a copy of marmoset 2, by far my favorite app at the moment :D cant wait for new fancy features :P here is my wishlist for future features

Global Ilumination
    Volumetric lighting
    separate bloom pass (dynamic lighting from glow? not even sure this is a thing :P)
    refractive material

and thanks to everyone responsible for this amazing software and for giving me the pleasure of beta testing Marmoset 2 :)
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    old stuff with new renders.

botA_LP01.jpg

botA_LP02.jpg

botA_LP03.jpg

i was playing with the metalness map and trying to use it for the model above but I couldnt figure out how to have both shiny plastic(non-metal) and shiny metal in the same material with the metalness map.

seems like there should be a additional texture for specular strength when metalness map is used.

is this a current limitation or am i missing something ?
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    MM: you use the gloss map with the metalness setting to control highlights and spec for plastics I think.
    I might be wrong on this, but doesn't the pbr make it so that lower gloss makes a lower specular intensity?

Also, looks really cool, the skin looks great :D
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    It's because on metals, diffuse isn't needed in 95% of the cases, so for metals the reflectance values go in the albedo map instead of just black (and then in the shadere gets replaced by black where the metalness map is white).

For non-metals, the range on the reflectance value is so small that it just gets replaced by a constant value.
    (the range on nonmetals is like roughly 40-60rgb, but that is with water/ice etc included, for more normal stuff it's probably more between 50-60rgb)

So that's why you don't need to set reflectance values for nonmetals if you use a metalness map.
This discussion has been closed.