Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

stylized stone floor texture

Replies

• MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    Always nice to see your work being used as an example, cheers guys!

Something that helped me a lot when it came to getting lighting and depth into textures was doing a wall texture instead of floor textures, this is because with a wall texture the lighting is usually always from the top. With floor textures its sometimes harder (or at least I found it harder) to shade and add depth as the light is hitting it directly as you look at it.

With a wall if you have a brick with chamfered edges, the top edge will be highlighted, the face will be flat, the bottom will be in shadow.

Not sure if that made much sense, but the best thing to do is get reference, go outside, find a wall, look at how the light falls on it and draw it, then draw it again, good luck!
  • loki1991
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright so im back again with another attempt. i know i screwed up on the lighting with the top right one and the upper middle one but i'm to lazy to go and fix it now because silly me and failing to properly manage my layers. also what should i do with the open areas in between the stones? the really small ones. should i of tried to avoid them in the first place and stretch the corners of the stones to make em blend together? i'm just a little worried if i do that they will look weird. also is my lighting too harsh?

ki2m.jpg
    ignore the little sample thing in the bottom as it's there to help me keep track of my main pallet.
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Much better but right now it looks like chrome rather then stone.
  • loki1991
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s74n.jpg
    rph6.jpg

hmm maybe i should of added a bit more stones to help hide the tiling. i need to add some more noise on the stones too because atm it's only a diffuse cloud effect to stop it from looking like 1 solid color. probably ad some cracks to the stones too however that won't hide the tiling all that well. maybe i should start again so i can fix up some lighting and do my layers properly this time. but maybe this is good enough for now anyway. it's improvement on my first attempt i suppose.
  • WadeWT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    it's an improvement over your first one, the lighting is a bit too harsh, though. And I think your shapes are too round/curvy. It might look nicer if you changed the colour between the stones also.
  • Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snafubar7 polycounter lvl 8
    Definitely an improvement, the next step is to get finer and more subtle gradients from light to dark as the faces turn away from your light source. Also right now you have a black outline beside your light faces. I say remove those and trust the light value to take that outline's place. Also make the background darker (the surface those stones are coming out of).
  • loki1991
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for all the help but im taking a break from stone and tried my hand at some wood. just playing with different things at the moment and have read a few tutorials so here is a mix of my first attempt. it's far from done but i just want some feedback on what others think works and doesn't as well as some advice to help improve. i rapidly improved with the stone textures this way, however my first attempt on stone was stupid and looked horrible, and i am hoping i can do the same with wood too.

szc9.jpg

in the end i will probably go though a few more materials and post them here for advice and feedback and keep going over the basics while making models for them too. ill start on that once i get some wood textures going.
  • kokocipher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took me around 30 minutes of struggle. How many layers do you guys use? Also, is there a keyboard shortcut for selecting colors from your palette? I'm using Sai and PS.
    rocktile.jpg
  • kokocipher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took me around 30 minutes of struggle. How many layers do you guys use? Also, is there a keyboard shortcut for selecting colors from your palette? I'm using Sai and PS.
    rocktile.jpg
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    In PS: While in Brush mode (b) press "alt" to select color.

Style of your stone is really nice... And I personally don't use much layers, just from time to time.