Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Horrible Face Sculpting | Need Help

Replies

• ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ToffeeApple polycounter lvl 8
    Have you looked into getting a book on anatomy? What helped for me was 'Anatomy A Complete Guide for Artists' by Joseph Sheppard. I found this a good starting point as he clearly goes through the structure and proportions.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for the link, Jackablade. It's awesome.

I plan to, Toffee. I have one anatomy book I used when I was in college. It wasn't much, and it focused more on the body. Though right now I feel I can't sculpt what I see yet.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You'll progress faster sculpting from reference. Just try to replicate what you see and don't sweat the anatomy too much. Trying to generate a head that looks like ... well, nothing ... is a hard mark to hit. When will you know it looks "right"?
  • codyaq2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    codyaq2 greentooth
    Take a step back, and start modeling a couple of skulls, and try and understand the underlying forms which will help immensely when doing a face.
    bc-133-lg.jpg

Try and find "rules" when doing a face.
    Such as drawing a slight curve line from the nasal bone to the angle of the mandible will give you the zygomatic bone.

Understand the half way points, thirds.
    -Eyes are half way of the skull.
    -The bottom of the nose and lips are thirds from the eyes to chin.

Drawing a line from the bottom of nose the to the back of the skull gives a good indication of where to place the ear.
    The ear angle can roughly be the same angle as the nasal bone.

Corner of the lips roughly is the middle of the eye.

Take this with a grain of salt, but when you develop and understand these "rules" you sculpts and speed will be so much better.

Gray_188_-_Side_view_of_the_skull.png

Be honest with yourself, and complete a skull each day for half a week - week, try a euro skull, african skull etc. Try not to worry about the small details, get the large forms and planes in. When you hit a point where you think you fkt up and struggling, take a deep breath and continue fixing your problem areas.

I bet you after practice and practice your face sculpts will be 10x fold better, just constantly sculpt :)
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Ya know guys, there are TONS of threads that would love this sort of feedback.

Is it really only the absolute beginners or massive pros that get this sort of attention on pc nowadays?

:/.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz wrote: »
    Ya know guys, there are TONS of threads that would love this sort of feedback.

Is it really only the absolute beginners or massive pros that get this sort of attention on pc nowadays?

:/.

So I notice, Muzz. I mean, the help this thread gets is simply overwhelmingly awesome.

Added:
    1st skull ever! From a sphere. 18k tris. Dynameshed once in the beginning.
    Next one I will make the jaw a separate piece.
    Skull01.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made 2 skulls today :) Using same ref. Started from sphere again.
    This one is made of 3 separated tools.
    Skull02.jpg

Good night, world !
  • Fusobotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fusobotic polycounter lvl 6
    The skull is looking much better than your faces. My suggestions would be, try and draw some skulls/faces, and even shade them if you can. This way you can get your mind around the overall forms and proportions. It takes much, MUCH longer to sculpt out a head than it does to draw one. By drawing you'll still get the same proportional values ingrained in your memory. Excellent (and free) book is Drawing the Head and Hands by Andrew Loomis: http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/

Once you're confident with that, transition into 3D. Make the most of each subdivision level, get it looking nicely proportioned particularly on the lower levels. What I see right now is you're being far too concerned with the smaller shapes and details and not the overall silhouette, form and gesture. Though I see quite a lot of improvement with the skulls over the faces. Don't even concern yourself with the lips, ears, and eyes until you have the head and neck properly shaped. The secondary details should come second.

Another series that's useful (if you don't like reading old books) is this one by Proko, which is actually based on Loomis: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL39135B8D190B7C97

Also watch as many Z-bro vids as possible (as these gentlemen have been kind enough to point out). You can only know the process once you've seen it done in front of you a few times. You won't do very much good trying to figured it out on your own.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    On feedback : the OP seems open minded and was actively asking for feedback so I think that's fair. Also, said feedback is available for everybody to look at - the information is not getting lost !

About the recent models and skulls - it is indeed coming together better, but I feel like you are still rushing things, or maybe rushing ... to post things. Discipline yourself to push the asset as far as you can in terms of accuracy every step of the way, taking measurements from references, checking things from all angles ... then show us :) Of course sketches and loose models are always a good thing to do, but some iterative steps are just less feedback-friendly than others - especially the cases when you know that you are not done with the piece/step just yet yourself !

Now don't get me wrong - I am not saying that WIPs should't be posted, quite the contrary. But if your goal here is to make a solid skull blockout, then you have to force yourself to follow your reference better, and post your progress once you feel like you really gave it your best. It doesn't matter one bit if it is the end of day or lunch time :D

Good luck !
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the great links and resources, Fusobotic. Downloading em now. I have drawn some faces. Mostly only from front view. So I will do some in side view and 3/4. Will also try drawing skulls as well. And details, like full nose and maybe muscle lines.

HoodnScarf.jpg

Thanks for pointing out the good point, pior. I will push myself further before I post stuff up.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool cool :) Best of luck ! It takes time, but it's so worth it :)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Busy working the last few days, haven't had much time to work on this. Will update soon.
  • ISmokeRodeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK I'm new here but maybe I can offer something I haven't noticed anyone pointing out so far. I think your problem is that you are confusing sculpting in zbrush with modeling in maya etc. As I can see, you understand what you have to do about your sculpts but still can't menage to achieve it. Zbrush is all about brushes. Nothing can be done efficiently with one brush. I'd recommend you start with a sphere and use the Move brush to get some proportions right. Try disabling Perspective to see the real proportions. Then use the Clay and Polish brushes for defining shapes along with the Smooth brush to get a nice surface (by holding the shift button). Try researching the net for alphas or use free brush sets to get the detailing right. Topology doesn't matter at all since you can use DynaMesh to distort shapes and then use qRemesher or RemeshAll to fix some stray pixels every now and then. But I would really advice you to worry about the shapes more then the topology and get really familiar with your tools. Later on if you wanna animate or pose you models use Retopologize in zbrush or just start with a base mesh imported from Maya or any pixel modeling tool.
    Finally get familiar with the BPR setting to give it a bit of realism.
    Try http://docs.pixologic.com/user-guide/customizing-zbrush/interface-layout/ to get a grasp on how things work in the UI.
    I hope my process on sculpting is helpfull in any way. And I don't mean to offend you or downgrade your skills in any way by pointing some basic things.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice ISmoke.
    Concept of using brushes is indeed totally new to me. And many times I had no idea whatsoever to use to get what I want. I'm sure many times I'm using the wrong tools. I watch many ppl streaming their zbrush work, and I copy their brushes. I still have trouble getting hard edges (not that I need one for a face, though.) and many times I just make too big blobs I can't smooth out.
  • ISmokeRodeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice ISmoke.
    Concept of using brushes is indeed totally new to me. And many times I had no idea whatsoever to use to get what I want. I'm sure many times I'm using the wrong tools. I watch many ppl streaming their zbrush work, and I copy their brushes. I still have trouble getting hard edges (not that I need one for a face, though.) and many times I just make too big blobs I can't smooth out.

You will end up using the Move brush A LOT. Smooth brush does wonders with low poly meshes. Even if you have a high sub division level you can always lower it to smooth it out and then just bring it back up without loss in detail. Also try ClayPolish in the Geometry tab. I'm glad I was of some help.

Great workflows in these vids I advice you to watch them fall
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEiBYgBmhH0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp5A8WwoiGo&list=PLf27UXNhecZwUzXCh5qxriJBozkf4bjrY
    Do a research on Ryan Kingslien
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Already on to Ryan Kingslien. The guy is so good, it's almost ridiculous O o.

Was trying to turn skull into a face, but failed miserably. :(
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To turn a skull into a face, work with two object (subtools) : one being the accurate skull model, and the other being a lump of clay overlapping it. That way you can freely move the shapes in place according to the skull landmarks, without destroying the skull itself.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    I don't know if somebody has posted yet, but this is very useful.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZEs5x9jL8E"]How to Sculpt the Face Using an Ecorche Approach - YouTube[/ame]
  • arcitecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arcitecht polycounter lvl 6
    Here's another great vid. I base my workflow for mouth/lips on this method:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbxdws5fr-w"]Rick Casali - Sculpting the Mouth - YouTube[/ame]

Regarding brushes; it does take time to learn how the brushes work and how to use them. That in itself is a skill developed over time.

Don't be afraid to play around with different settings like brush>modifiers and stroke>lazy mouse, you can always reset them.

I tend to keep it simple: clay/claybuildup with alpha 6 or 14 for massing in shapes, trimdynamic for helping describe planes of the nose, forehead, lips, cheeks etc., move for the fundamental shape of the head/skull, neck etc. I use standard a bit for carving deeper lines and such.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot folks. Gonna try that over when I wake up.
    I just started working as a Tech Director at a dance studio (I was teaching there awhile). Been busy fixing the studio's stupid website since.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's amazing the more I get into ZBrush the more I find myself using the Move brush. That and Clay Build Up are real work horses...
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brought her hires to shape her lips and eyelids. Will start another head soon.
    1077308_10151738749600115_464268614_o.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Getting there mate. Kind of inspiring watching you improve so quickly.

Keep at it.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ps. Still alive here.
    Been busy with the Warlord Challenge. I'm trying many things I never done before in ZBrush. Not just the head, but the whole piece.

12BlockingnConcepting.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A different project, btw.

Trying to give her face some personality, and I think I messed up the porportion again <_<"
    1093973_10151790525825115_1089425865_o.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Her face is human, unless you were aiming for aesthetic perfection.

Her neck needs to be thickened up though, doesn't look like it could support her head comfortably.
  • HardBaller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HardBaller polycounter lvl 7
    Hiya Pyr. Been learning to sculpt faces myself so i was looking for as much info as possible. And this thread of yours has been a great help with that. So after lurking i wanted to share a webinar i watched which really helped me a lot actually. Maybe you know it already and have seen it. Maybe not so i'm just sharing to be sure ;). Keep up the good work mate. Some good progress there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEiBYgBmhH0

Edit: tried fixing the link to embed but it isn't in the mood for it it seems so just the link has to do.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Orthographic Reference + Spotlight = success.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HardBaller, thanks for the link man. I have seen a similar one, but this particular one escapes me. Awesome !!

This is where I am now. Not sure how a head should look like from top-down, but it looks off. Too square-ish ?
    WIP10.jpg
    Reference: http://pinterest.com/pin/463448617875246162/ and http://pinterest.com/pin/463448617875246160/

Oh, and here's my first male head in like ever.
    Napoleon03Head.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remade the whole face, again :P

This time I paid much more attention to bone structure first when shaping her face.
    Her lips appear weird from side view. But so far I'm quite happy with the progress I'm having lately. THANKS ALL WHO HAVE BEEN HELPING ME THUS FAR.
    WIP11.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message