Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Treasure Hunter Thief

Replies

• Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Man the HP renders looking so nice! Good work.
    Sadly your textured pics are so low res - could you upload a higher version ?
    Also it feels like - alot of details are lost.
    The character on the hp looks alot more agressive - alot more strong willed - i like that look. The face expression on the textured WIP looks somehow different ;)
    Also i like the the hairstyle on your hp - even its rough.

here an example, of what i would suggest
    It underlines more the story behind your pose - the weapon, the mystic - and the strong willed "Treasure Hunter Thief"

ohnetitelspring2012rtw.jpg

Cheers
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    hey - you never replied back - any progress on that ?
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Alphavader, thanks for the feedback. I think because the normal smoothing is a little high on the skin shader in marmoset the face looks a lot smoother and the details were lost a bit.

The look on her face was only for posing, the forehead wrinkles and angry glare were only for presentation purposes and I sharpened the sculpt renders to help show the details. They are quit apparent in the lowpoly but yes that image is a little small.
    (i will upload higher res images when I get some more progress on the textures)

As for the hair, I like the hair in the sculpt too but it really doesn't portray a character who is running through caves and in the jungle (or any other environment treasure hunters go through). It was only meant to be a quick placeholder for hair. I like the pulled back look because realistically, if it wasn't pulled back it would just be all over the place and the gelled back look would look out of place.

The textures on the skin have only been baked and no detail has been added. If i get to the right point tonight I will put up some renders.

You are right though, these images didn't really do the progress much justice. I wont make that mistake again. Thank you for the comment and the follow up. Appreciate it
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    So an update on the textures.

hair_wip3.jpg
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    Update:

Texture update and hair color update.

texturing_wip1.jpg
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    Texture update

texturing_wip2.jpg
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Cool character, she looks like a realistic Lara Croft :thumbup:

But why is her face so dirty and the clothes not? In my opinion the texture looks very noisy. Maybe you can try to make only a few dirt splashes on her face and clothes, so that it looks more natural.

Keep it up! :)
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Heh I have to agree with crazy_pixel, she looks like she drank a bucket full of mud and it looks strange with the clean glasses on top.

Other than that awesome!
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, thanks for the comments. I haven't put any mud or dirt on anything else. Just the skin. I'm going for a some dried mud and dirt as a base layer (a few hours old) and then some new splotches of fresh wet dirt that would've been splattered on more recently.

I'll probably remove one or two of the blotches so it's not so crazy on the face.
  • JBaldwin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_Pixel, DeathStick - Agreed.

The amount of dirt is equivalent to that of a mud bath. It definitely is on it's way to looking good, I just think there needs to be an asymmetrical buildup. Right now, everything is far too uniform and dirty.

1. The forehead (upper right) should have almost no mud or buildup.
    2. The right cheek and side of her chin should have almost no mud or buildup.
    3. Her neck should be practically clean. The neck is one of the hardest places for dirt to naturally collect. (Especially where the bottom of the chin and neck meet).
    4. Her upper left part of her chest should be practically clean.

Doing these things will offset the mud and dirt enough to make it look far more natural in my opinion.

Look at the images below for comparisons.

Your Current Character:
    23ww2u8.jpg

Natural Dirt Buildup:
    113148390-boy-with-a-dirty-face-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=Qwa%2FCk3Hw46Rm2L2l4%2BLV7cWzFgbiklsPnlURJRZjPjzzpJR20YqltvnETps9WCiJgCB4%2F3eeTF76J1JYd%2BtWw%3D%3D

dirty-face-boy.jpg

Not Natural:
    portrait-funny-little-girl-dirty-face-covered-chocolate-isolated-white-30633454.jpg

Can't wait to see an update! :)
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks guys. Great critiques, they both make a lot of sense. I'll see what I can do
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    There's never enough time in a day. Textured this tonight. Thought i'd throw it up since I haven't done any work on the girl in awhile.

shovel_zps9ddb046f.jpg
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    Rigged and posed in maya

Toned down some of the dirt on the face. Looks way better.
    Made some scruffy hair alphas to break up the clean look a bit.

treasure_hunter_poseWIP_zps44ad08a8.jpg

C&C Welcome
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Great work with the character and great progress from the concept, still her hairstyle looks more like "iam the assistant of the Treasure Hunter and she is not in so...maybe call back when she is back raiding some tombs?". That's just the first thing the combination of glasses and hairstyle gave weay to. Otherwise great work.
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    thanks for the feedback dude. I messed her hair up a bit. Only so much i can do now that she's rigged and skinned. Copying skin weight or saving them out hasn't been working @_@

Quick update : I realized I had a light duplicated so she's really washed out :( i'll re-render her tomorrow

treasure_hunter_zps794d8202.jpg
  • SeveredScion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SeveredScion polycounter lvl 12
    Just saw this. Awesome seeing the progress, and also great that you had the fortitude to keep at it over the course of a more than a year. Just wanted to say kudos!
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    HAHAHAHA SeveredScion, i have put this down and picked it back up months later more times than i care to admit. But i try to only have finished pieces in my portfolio.
  • SeveredScion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SeveredScion polycounter lvl 12
    I've got pieces like that too. Better than putting it down and never picking it back up!
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    I got rid of the glasses because everyone hated them :( oh well.

213041_009419ee9c3d4cfc86b06a898b9326d0.jpg_srz_p_980_1244_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz
    treasurehunter_turnaround.jpg
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    wow shes super sexy now!!

i would just weaken the eyelashes in the corners
    of the eye a bit... now it looks like a black block
  • miamigator09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First time looking through this thread, you've done a great job polishing each aspect of the model, from sculpt to retop and texture, it's got a lot going for it!

There are only a few low hanging fixes that I see that may improve the piece. One, as people have mentioned, the pores in the face (especially the cheek/nasal area) are still reading pretty harsh. Just softening that area's normals might reduce the contrast enough.

The dirt on the skin seems painted on, especially on the hands, where the dirty and clean skin looks like a faded, brushed transition. Maybe even adding a little bit of spec to give it a wetter look might help.. I'm not basing this on reference though so I might be wrong about what it really looks like.. it just appears too flat and deliberate.

Lastly, the pose is still a little stiff, especially her left raised hand and fingers. Some slight articulation of the fingers and wrist could be all it takes, and it will feel more dynamic.

Also, if you wanted to keep the glasses, stick them in one of her containers or hanging off her shirt.. a treasure thief always has a pair of spectacles in case of really small hieroglyphs or reading the map right?
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, thanks for the pointers.

I think the eyelash issues are the marmoset renderer... they just seem to blotch together at a distance. I'll see what I can do about it but i'm not sure how much more UV space I can commit to them.

The pores are because i once again over sharpened the image like i did in the sculpt renders. I'll fix that. I really really like the idea of putting the glasses hanging on her shirt. That is a really simple fix.