Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My Character Work

Replies

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    Shifting to another old project. Turning my Shyvana model, which was suppossed to be my entry for Polycount LOL Art Contest years ago, into a PBR character, since i suck at handpainted. Still works in progress.

You could see the old handpainted and unfinished one in the first page.
  • Magihat
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    Lots of good stuff here and a very nice variety!

Regarding your latest model I think it's good but that hot pink skirt on the back clashes with everything else both in terms of style and color. I am not familiar with this character but it drags down the model as a whole for me.
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    @Magihat

Thank you for the kind words and  criticism. Im still trying to figure it out how to make the skirt presentable. Im not familiar with her either, just from references only. I found her concept art pretty bad ass, thats why i pick her character.

As i said earlier, it was supposed to be a handpainted project. Some of the detail was kinda unfit for realistic rendering.

Highpoly/lowpoly was a mess too, so i just baked them without editing any further, as im pretty lazy but doesnt want the model to be a waste either.

But if strictly modifying from the texture only doesnt work , ill probably going to revisit the HP.

Thanks again for the constructive criticism. Appreciated it.  
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message

Almost there. Going to darken the skirt a little bit later, and playing around with composition. Suggestions are welcomed, since its pretty much done.

Oh, yeah, i accidentally deleted my highpoly files on mudbox, as i thought i had already backed them up, but turned out i deleted the back up too. Suck.

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished.
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/dRb9e
    And going to do another one from my old project!

model

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Going back on my Alison Brie sculpt. Likeness is still faraway.

Will change the cloth into something that was a lot more classy later.
    I'm using this as a practice to tackle a more complex hair cards.

The reference of her hair i hope to achieve. Will probably fail, but atleast im going to try.
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    I think im done with the highpoly.  Needed suggestions on the anatomy, since i thought something was off.
    Doesnt want to add anymore little detail because i wanted to explore the hair workflow right away.
    Though im going to put this on hold for a moment, and give it another look later after i've rested .

• Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Hey are you planning on having her smiling in the final sculpt? Because if you are using smiling ref for a non smiling sculpt itll drive you mad! Make sure you have some high contrast and black and white reference, itll be a huge help. And throw some temporary sculpted hair on, otherwise itll just throw you off too. Anatomy-wise the first thing i notice is the lack of defined eye socket on the outer side, where the zygomatic meets the temporal. Polypainting is very nice tho!

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pav3d

Solid advice! Thanks for the suggestions and the kind words!

I'm using a lot of ref, while some are smiling, the one i mostly use as sculpting ref are the neutral ones. Im planning to made her smile though, but only a light smirk, so i guess it was fine to use the neutral face as my main ref. Those ref i posted are for her hair i wanted to achieve.

Definitely going to add sculpted hair, as i agree it'll help finding the right balance on the likeness. And going to use your paintover too.

On a side note, i've been watching your work ever since i notice your entry for LoL art contest. Theres something about your sculpts that was pleasing to my eye. Thanks for adding your portfolio in your signature, going to follow you now!
    Your ongoing projects looks awesome! 

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Added a quick hair sculpt. Needed more refinement as likeness a bit off now that hair was on the play, but still happy with the results.

And @Pav3d suggestions proved to be making my sculpts a lot better.

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Slow progress. Havent even touched her hair yet.

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Rough and raw alpha hair cards from hair and fur modifier. Havent been optimized yet, just to see if i got the volume right. I think its pretty decent so far, so i'm going to move on optimizing it manually.

• threedslider
    Great characters here, so sound like manga that I love it, keep it up your works :)
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    @threedslider Thank you. If i have the time, i would love to create all of my favorite anime and manga characters.

Changing the shape and flow of her hair, just done only half this day, and put it on hold for now as theres another matter i've to attend too.

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Update for today. Almost there, reducing the polycount and adding some variations. Total so far is 6k tris for the hair.

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Update for today. Hair are basically done, its 9.5k for the hair only, just need a little fixing for the placement, and going to see if i could add more detail to the overall texture. I'm going to do something without a hair for my next project.... :|

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
  • Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Turned out great, hair looks really nice, colour zones of the face seem a bit harsh, the forehead is very yellow and the jaw/chin area is very blue, maybe tone those down a bit. Skin could use some more noise and colour variation, looks a bit too smooth. Hair is great, did you make the strands in zbrush and bake them out?
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pav3d

Thanks for the suggestions! going to work on it tomorrow. Yeah, a fresh pair of eyes is what i need, im blind with this kinda thing if i worked on it for so long. Going to tone down the make up too.
    Hairs entirely made in 3ds max hair and fur, right from the individual strands. A bit crude, but gets the job done.

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Edited the textures, added detail, noise, and freckles on the skin.
    Updated the artstation and sketchfab render.

model
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Retouching my Shinobu Oshino to experiment a better presentation. Trying to emulate the lighting from Kizumonogatari poster here. Still need to redo the material more.

And still trying to finish this guy on the side. Added sculpted hair (will add alpha hair on top of it in the lowpoly later) , and still tweaking the folds on the jacket. Looks very unnatural, but i liked it.

Very slow , and lack of motivation lately.
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated material and presentation of my Shinobu Oshino fanart.

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Ditching that guy, and picking up my old Riza Hawkeye bust, in the mood for something simple. Added more detail, and going to make the low res model later, wanted to explore more about anime styles.

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling it done. Going to move on with the lowpoly.

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the lowpoly, with early textures. Need more tweaking later.

Anybody knew how direction map works in marmoset?
    Is it possible to disable it in certain area? Im using single material, wanted to highlight the hair only, but the direction map still affects her face and clothes.

See below

For her front hair and back hair it could easily be done as they were separate meshes, but for the main hair, it was merged with the face so i don't exactly know how to do that.
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to just detach her hair crudely as a separate mesh. Works, but theres ugly seams where the skin meet the hair, but, eh, fuck it.

Still need to add some finishing touches before calling it done. Working slow as i got sick earlier this week.
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished. And moving on.
    For turnaround, marmoset, and sketchfab viewer, check at artstation here.

• almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Dude this is a really good finish! As a final tweak, i would maybe play around with doing the oooold cell shading trick, of duplicating the mesh, pushing it out by a small amount, inverting the normals, and giving it a black material, so that wherever you rotate you get a nice crisp black outline.
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    @almighty_gir

Thank you! I already did the outline trick, although it wasnt visible enough. I'll try pushing it out even further, just to see how it'll look. Thanks for the suggestion!