Home Technical Talk

Mudbox 2013, diffuse map doesn't cover entire object.

So I'm following a tutorial and I'm still new to Mudbox so I'm not sure if this is a really easy fix or not. Nor could I find anything about it other than people asking the same question on this youtube video page of the tutorial.

So the tutorial I'm following is this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRHSbiF6chU"]How to create a terrain for Cryengine and UDK Part 2/8 - YouTube[/ame]
Around the 35 minute mark is what I'm stuck on.

Now when this guy applies the diffuse map it covers the entire object. However when I do it, following the same steps it doesn't cover the entire object. It leaves a strip untextured.

This is what it looks like:

ay9mSFS.jpg

See the brown strip? Not sure why it's not covering that.

Replies

• oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    i assume your plane is using 100% uv space...
    take a look at the mudbox plane the uvs are slightly scaled down..
    mudbox doesnt like uvs touching the border of the uv space...
  • Dagobert
    oglu wrote: »
    i assume your plane is using 100% uv space...
    take a look at the mudbox plane the uvs are slightly scaled down..
    mudbox doesnt like uvs touching the border of the uv space...

Thing is I used world machine like in the tutorial and that created all the textures for me. I didn't do any of the UV mapping in mudbox just like in the tutorial video. Also when I'm at level 2 of the mesh the texture covers the entire thing but after 2 is when I get the problem.
  • Dagobert
    While still trying to figure out how to fix this, I noticed when I click on the UV View tab I can see the entire diffuse map without it being cut off. Still not sure why it's cutting it off in 3D view and when I render it.
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    use the mudbox plane... your uvs are to big...
    mudbox wont work with uvs close to the uv border...
  • Dagobert
    oglu wrote: »
    use the mudbox plane... your uvs are to big...
    mudbox wont work with uvs close to the uv border...

I see what you're saying. I just used the mudbox plane and I already see the difference. Thanks.
  • PlanetGreat
    Hi, Im using the same tutorial, and I got the same problem. Wasnt the whole deal with the mesh polygon number (4096 * 4096) because of requirements from UDK?
  • Dagobert
    Hi, Im using the same tutorial, and I got the same problem. Wasnt the whole deal with the mesh polygon number (4096 * 4096) because of requirements from UDK?

Probably missed that part, either way the entire tutorial is about getting it into Cryengine. Either way you could just do the UV of the plane in whatever 3D software and then import that plane into Mudbox. I tried doing that and it didn't give me any problems either.