Home General Discussion

Call of Duty: Ghosts

Replies

• peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Talking about the Q3 engine here's a clip with John Carmack bragging that videogame engine programming is a whole lot more complicated than space travel ... how cocky can you be, no seriously ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcWRc1wK3gM
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Thanks for the link Justin ! Great read. It's so sad to see that such an important feature was hardly planned in, originally categorized under "UI fixes" and only considered because of customer complaints.

I love that there are guys like this programmer out there, really taking matters at heart. There are so many factors at play here, reaching even further than FOV and screen cropping : like, which kind of acceleration is being applied to movement speed ? Where is the center of rotation of the camera ? And so on. It's crazy to think that there was no dedicated designer and programmer assigned to that task alone on a games like Borderlands and BL2.

Now I am very curious to see how such things will be handled in TitanFall. It would be so nice to be able to manually define cropping, FOV, and so on...
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I didn't download the multiplayer yet, but i fucking love the campaign. Riley is already a symbol for me.

This is not the same salami as other folks talked about, this is "jam
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Honestly gotta say those that say this is the same game as last year are fools. It honestly plays nothing like Black Ops 2. The mp besides being a first person military shooter is much different than last years game. Aren't most games really just different variations of each other? Has any real "NEW" game come out lately? Stories and locations may change but is anything new? You release a sequel and change to much and you risk alienating your fan base and changing what the core game is. That isn't what people want to do.

There are new modes, new guns, new movements, new perks, new class based structures and a pretty awesome customize character options available.

Yes it is still a shooter and military in general but it is not the same exact game as last year. Seriously guys lets move on from that already.

As for being the q3 engine. It has been so heavily modified over the years that it isn't even the same thing at this point. Does it still use radiant for editing. Sure but it's not the same code/rendering that q3 shipped with. We all know that.

Also it is running at 60fps. Anyone else out there that has to make games run at 60fps know just how hard that is and the corners you have to cut and options you have to remove graphically. Being able to put out a game that does look as good as Ghosts and/or Black Ops 2 running at over 60fps on 7+ year old hardware is an impressive feat in itself.

I'm not trying to change any ones mind around here but I would think we are a much more educated bunch than the likes of kotaku and other message boards.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    What are your favorite weapons? I just unlocked the MTAR and played a match of cranked on free fall with it. About 40 seconds into the round I got a huge back to back killstreak (around 8 kills I think.)

Needless to say, I've got myself a new favorite weapon at the moment haha. Unfortunately I won't be using it too much because I'm trying to complete that patch task where you have to get like 200 kills with the akimbo acog magnums. I'm averaging about 10 kills a match with this POS combo, so I'm guessing this will take a while.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse, I totally agree ! I never quite understood the comments claiming that it is the same as last year over again. I mean, sure enough MW3 felt like an extension of MW2 (and that's a good thing !!) but they didn't come out right after the other. Ghosts and BlOps are really different things. I suppose that most of the general public doesn't understand that the games are made by two different development teams ...

Anyways - can't wait for the first PC patch. I had a huge amount of fun with Black Ops 2 last year and still do today, and I hope that Ghosts for PC will be nicely tweaked soon. I don't like the art direction as much as the Black Ops one as I loved the way you guys handled the lighting in the bigger maps like Grind and Turbine, and Ghosts seems to lack that clarity ; but I cannot wait to experience the new momentum-based movement once the FoV issue and the performance problems are fixed.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have it on pc as well. I think you are on my steam list. Will have to play some rounds some night...
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe sure thing :) I don't play Ghosts at the moment since I am waiting for the first patch (I actually had a rather serious crash with the game, causing corrupted files so I am holding on for now) but I still play BLOPs 2 semi regularly :) Knife-only in Core, and some light, fast guns in Hardcore. It's getting harder to find games tho :/
  • dazzerfong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Outside of the Charlie Intel site, this is probably the only place where I see reasonable remarks about the game. It's a shame that my 9800 GTX+ couldn't play the game, but from my impression of it so far, it's an admirable effort from IW and co.

One question to you guys, though: what percentage do you think the engine now resembles Q3's code-wise? And one last one: what's up with the huge download? Are the textures really that big, or is it just all bloat?
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's hard to put a percentage on how much it "resembles" the Q3 engine, most of the changes made to the engine would be on the development side and so it'd be hard to find these changes by playing the game. The game looks great graphically though, I saw some comparisons of BF4 and Ghosts maxed out. Many people were saying that the shots looked incredibly similar and some guys even said that Ghosts looked better in some situations.

The graphical options are pretty buggy atm and a lot of people are saying the textures look like shit because they have improperly configured their settings. I think the textures in the game look great though.

The first patch for the game should be out around November 15th for consoles as that is what the IW twitter hints at (they said S&D would be re-added on that day).

If IW goes with the Treyarch mentality, we'll see the update on the 15th as well. If they go with their BS anti-PC mentality that we saw in MW3, then we'll see the patch on Dec. 15th.

I don't know about you guys but steam automatically downloaded about 200 mb for the MP a few hours ago along with 8 mb for the singleplayer. My framerate seems to have increased and I'm getting about a tenth of the menu stutter now, it's great.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro wrote: »

I don't know about you guys but steam automatically downloaded about 200 mb for the MP a few hours ago along with 8 mb for the singleplayer. My framerate seems to have increased and I'm getting about a tenth of the menu stutter now, it's great.

The game magically runs smoother on my machine now, im starting to like it, the hit detection is finally working properly. I have a sense that im starting to understand the psychology behind this title. This pseudo patch made the game more attractive and playable on my end.

Ghost probably has the best maps i ever seen in my gaming life, let alone the texture assembly and color choice, no joke.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It'd be fun to collect a bunch of images from both games, and have people pick the better looking one, and have it feed into a poll. People don't always have good taste of what actually is the best graphics. From reviewers that have played launch titles for both consoles, people are saying Ryse and Killzone are the most "next gen" looking of the bunch (not counting car games).
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My advise .... reset settings and adjust them one by one. It worked wonder on my end. Do not crank up everything at once like in the Quake days.

Play, go in settings, change 1 parameter, go back in game test it out, etc, etc, etc. This is how it should be done.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I just got done playing more Ghosts MP and campaign and I can confirm they did in fact release two small patches. They didn't seem to post a list of changes anywhere but my game runs considerably smoother now. I'm having a lot of fun and I would say that this is the best CoD game to date if it weren't for the fact that BO2 was literally perfect for me (the only thing other thing I wanted from BO2 was mod and map tools.)

Oh well, Ghosts is just as fun. I denied some guy his KEM strike because as he was about to use it, I got the game winning kill haha.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Downloaded both of the updates today, but haven't played the game yet. It did ask if I wanted to reset to the automatic settings.

I'm enjoying it so far, well, multiplayer at least since thats all I've played. I agree that a lot of the maps look really nice, especially Siege. Hopefully with this update, I get to use a few higher settings. I didn't think my 570 was that outdated already :\
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    28gb install just for multiplayer? That is just flat out ridiculous. Not impressed.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    When is the free weekend? I bought AC4 last week and don't feel like risking it and buying another bad game without realizing it
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I installed the single player, 28gb, but later i was going to install the multi, and it said me 3,3GB.

BTW, i finished the download of the game in 2 days... it's insane how big are the games nowadays.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks i am pretty sure you have to install the singleplayer as well but I am not sure.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On PC and through Steam at least I can confirm that it is not needed. There is an option to install MP only.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The ~28GB install comprises of a majority of the game's assets. You have to DL it regardless of if you only want to play MP or only SP. Once you get that though, the other portion of the game will be a much smaller DL. It has always been like that.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got it up and running on my pc today.

Here are my specs

myrig.JPG

I was playing SP on max everything (except fxaa was set at 2x i think)

game looked gorgeous at the above resolution....

Will post some screenshots later
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    peanut™ wrote: »
    Talking about the Q3 engine here's a clip with John Carmack bragging that videogame engine programming is a whole lot more complicated than space travel ... how cocky can you be, no seriously ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcWRc1wK3gM

MEga OT respnse. Hes totally correct tho. The programming for rockets probably isnt as complicated as for video games these days. However, the wall ALL these amateur companies have hit up against is the complication and expense of designing a controlled bomb that is reliable safe and reuseable. Even Bransons space ship one killed some workers last year, using a substance that is supposedly safe to handle.

I think the programming in space travel is the most stable, reliable and repeatable part of the machine :D

Anyway, Ghost Dogs wooo.

You can tell im interested in this game :P
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are a few screenshots I took tonight...

2013-11-10_00003.jpg

2013-11-10_00004.jpg

2013-11-10_00005.jpg
    2013-11-10_00006.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Definitely not the best looking game of this next-gen-console-release-cycle. But the high resolution textures are really nice for 1440x2560+ displays. I'm just happy pc games aren't going to have to be stuck with the texture resolutions of last generation's consoles anymore.
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    I think (visually) the game looks, like every entry in the series, outstanding as a whole, but the individual pieces don't hold up to scrutiny. Which is completely fine - we're all busy running past it at lightning speeds.

Personally I've found this to be the most enjoyable campaign since the original COD4 - for whatever reason the people [now] at Respawn have some sort of magic sauce that makes for good campaigns (COD1/2/4 - before that Allied Assault). So congrats to Raven (I think?) on that job well done. That said, I'm also enjoying the MP, usually being a non-player.

I just wish I could enjoy this game without of stuttering all the time, even after applying workarounds. What a shitty, slapdash port - new engine or not (and let's be honest here - this is 'new' in the same way Skyrim's engine was, largely in name only.)

They've been doing these games for a while, and have at least several branches of the PC engine that work flawlessly - what is essentially replacing old textures, sounds, and animations with new ones for the newest title shouldn't destabilize the whole thing.

However, we all know the consoles are the bread and butter of the series, so I'm not holding my breath for fixes. Nothing against consoles, I just don't play COD on them and am stuck on this shit port. Even with the PC's seeming resurgence, so far the last three major AAA titles I've bought (BF4/Ghosts/Arkham Origins) have been game-breakingly buggy each in their own ways. What is going on...
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just did some reading up on the FOV fixers and the FPS unlocker. People have supposedly been banned for using both or either. If you are using it, you might want to consider stopping.

I am very hopeful that we'll see a great patch soon. That 200mb hotfix alone fixed almost all my issues, all I'm really waiting for at this point is a menu stutter fix which is nothing more than an annoyance, and the FOV fix.

It's important to remember that IW had a lot more work to get done this time around than previous years. Especially since consoles got dedicated servers this time around.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    There's really no excuse for not having a FOV slider in the game. Previous games had it. IW just hate PC gamers.

Why is it that Treyarch always do a better job on the PC versions of COD games?
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This game has lots of potential and i love it. But there is something that profoundly disturb me. Its the lightning used in the engine.

So i'm camping on the map prison break in the tower, completely immersed in the game i watch my back and strategically wait for a target. Everything is fine but 2 guys from the other team show up. I fragged them both, im in total shadow or i would call it pre-darkness. Why are they both glowing, this is a huge turndown IMO. Why is that ?

Ghost_Bad_lightning.jpg
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The new FOV changer has been approved by IW.

http://www.mapmodnews.com/article.php/Call-of-Duty-Ghosts-FoV-Changer-DL

Played a few rounds with it and I can see a very clear difference in my gameplay experience. I used to always walk into walls or other players because you can't see shit at 65 FOV but now the game is a lot more fun to play.

It's a shame that this game will be dead in a couple of months though (imo). There are already blatent wallhackers and people are advertising more cheats in the Steam forums.

PC gaming is awesome, but why is the community filled with such asswipes?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    The new FOV changer has been approved by IW.

http://www.mapmodnews.com/article.php/Call-of-Duty-Ghosts-FoV-Changer-DL

Played a few rounds with it and I can see a very clear difference in my gameplay experience. I used to always walk into walls or other players because you can't see shit at 65 FOV but now the game is a lot more fun to play.

It's a shame that this game will be dead in a couple of months though (imo). There are already blatent wallhackers and people are advertising more cheats in the Steam forums.

PC gaming is awesome, but why is the community filled with such asswipes?

I find the console community more filled with asswipes than PC. Since on PC I will play till a find a good server or 2 with decent people that just want to play the game and have a good time.

Its on console with match makeing that I find I have to putting up with the cheating asshats, or some 13 your old hurling homophobic, sexist and racist slurs my way.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    I find the console community more filled with asswipes than PC. Since on PC I will play till a find a good server or 2 with decent people that just want to play the game and have a good time.

Its on console with match makeing that I find I have to putting up with the cheating asshats, or some 13 your old hurling homophobic, sexist and racist slurs my way.
    Personally I can deal with trashtalkers since it's funny to see how idiotic some people are and I can just mute people. But I'm having buyer's remorse right now. I just joined a free for all and some 40 year old guy was blatently aimbotting and was calling everybody that called him out on it a crybaby.

I reported him and left but I feel as if the report button is just there for show. I was looking on the forums and apparently the PS4 version of the game is flawless. I'll never go back to playing competitive FPS games on a console, nor will I pay a subscription fee to play online, but this is some real bullshit.

I think the game will be better IF IW decides to not lie their asses off like they've done numerous times in the past. IW said they'd update the game after release to add user owned ranked dedicated server support. Of course, they said they'd do that with MW2...and...MW3 and it never happened.

Why do I buy this crap?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now I would be curious to know what was wrong about the original FOVely changer released earlier !
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    pior wrote: »
    Now I would be curious to know what was wrong about the original FOVely changer released earlier !

It gets people banned, also why is it the communities problem to fix iw's crap.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But how come the old one got people banned and the new one didn't ? It's confusing ... I mean, I used it for two days and didn't get banned, even tho the file was removed from the website of the creator at that time because of Activision asking for it.

Anyways - nice to hear that people can play the game properly now :)
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ran into an issue (and it seems I am not the only one according to reddit) but I have the hardened edition with the season pass and a few extra customization options but they weren't showing up. It worked flawlessly when I did it on my 360 but it wasn't working on PS4. Somehow it installed but didn't unlock.

Anyways. Deleted it all of PS4. Reinstalled game. Downloaded content again via sonys site (huge pain in the ass but was similiar on 360 if you couldn't find the store option or whatever on the console). It said it installed and was good to go.

• Free fall custom map loaded.
    • Still missing extra content from Hardened/Prestige edition (icons, patches, player card, camo)
    • Still missing the stuff that came with season pass (ghost mask, etc)

So I have played MP for about an hour on PS4 and it looks great (for the most part).

• There are a LOT of areas where the lighting is wrong or just completely falls apart with meshes being light in dark areas or dark in light areas.
    • Some pretty boxy geo (can tell its still heavy bsp/world geo)
    • Getting shot from every fucking angle in the world. Seriously? Is that fun?
    • Maps are huge for the amount of players on them. Cool maps are bigger but same amount of players doesn't push people out into more areas and found that I could run around quite a bit with no issues.
    • Unlocking stuff is a bit tedious in my opinion
    • Perk system is cool. I liked what Black Ops 2 did with the pick 10 and this seems to expand on that a bit.
    • Had some issues where I loaded up the map and it never loaded me in and timed me out due to inactivity.
    • Character customization is cool. Only have 1 character unlocked currently.

Getting used to the PS4 controller over mainly playing cod on 360 since COD2 and through Black Ops 2.

PS4 controller is comfy though and a huge improvement over dual shock 3s.

I got so used to how Black Ops 2 handles and plays and this does feel different as the IW/Treyarch games usually do feel a bit different and I think it's a good thing.

Once I have time to really give this a go I will probably update with some more info.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But how come the old one got people banned and the new one didn't ? It's confusing ... I mean, I used it for two days and didn't get banned, even tho the file was removed from the website of the creator at that time because of Activision asking for it.

Anyways - nice to hear that people can play the game properly now :)
    I found out why it was removed and it is actually understandable. The removed FOV changer also had a built in FPS unlocker which allowed you to run the game at above 90 FPS for people with 120hz+ monitors (by default Ghosts, like MW3, is locked at 90 FPS).

However, in order to unlock the FPS the program had to modify the executable of the game, and as a result, this made it possible for VAC to automatically detect the FOV changer as a cheat, when in fact it wasn't. This went ahead and gave innocent people VAC bans.

To prevent a large shitstorm, Activision banned that particular FOV changer (and any other FPS changers that were out there).

The new FOV changer is allowed because all it does is change the FOV. If you are currently using the old one, I strongly suggest you delete it and start using the new one I linked.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting information ! Thanks for digging that up :)
    No worries on my end - I used FOVely for two days, but after that uninstalled Ghosts altogether when I realized how much in need of an official patch it was. I'll probably get it up and running again in a few months when things get smoothed out.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting information ! Thanks for digging that up :)
    No worries on my end - I used FOVely for two days, but after that uninstalled Ghosts altogether when I realized how much in need of an official patch it was. I'll probably get it up and running again in a few months when things get smoothed out.
    As much as I'd like to hope that Ghosts will get fixed, IW has a terribly bad track record when it comes to fixing PC games. MW3 was an easier fix than Ghosts, and that never got touched after the first minor patches got released.

I would just stick to playing BO2 if you like CoD. Titanfall comes out soon and I'm it'll be a better game that plays similar to CoD. Rekoil also comes out next month and it is a fun old school FPS game that plays similar to CoD4 Promod combined with Quake 3. Rekoil will also support all features PC gamers would come to expect including an FOV slider and both map and mod tools that will be similar to UDK/UE3.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The 6GB RAM requirement got removed. If you have between 2 and 4 GB RAM, you can play now.

They also did some fixes and the game feels a bit more consistent now and many of the stutters are now gone, but the cheater issue is still a thing.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love this game, its a little of this and a little of that, but certainly a good title in my book. Great achievement to whoever worked on it. Amazing maps.
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Great, playing this game and I spilled a glass of milk on the carpet.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This "game" is truly the worst $60 purchase I have ever made. It should really be illegal to charge $60 for this piece of crap.

I have always believed that game developers are just people who are really passionate about games and as a result, every game, good or bad, is the result of focused dedication to a specific task, but this game just breaks all of that. I'm more inclined to believe that the developers got together and just got high every day until the last 2-3 months of the development cycle where they slapped this shit together then proceeded to collect their paychecks.

I'm just shocked at the fact that they could let some of the problems with this game slip by, and then the fact that there is absolutely zero support for the game after launch.

I could make a list but I'm sure nobody cares and even then, it won't change anything so all I can really say is, to hell with IW and Activision. $60 and 75% of my playtime on the game was spent playing against hackers who will never get banned and hackers that openly advertise their cheats to others who will then purchase/download the cheats and continue ruining the game for everybody else. The remaining 25% of my playtime was spent on the 4 hour campaign that is so bad that it's just insulting to gamers.

Maybe the console version can be called a "game" but I heard it's just as broken on every platform except for PS4/XB1.
  • James Ordner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was just about to comment that at least a new one hasn't been announced yet...

Then I Googled it to double check myself, and there is indeed another CoD confirmed for 2014.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    new trailer

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QLgHt4UkG0"]Call of Duty: Ghosts - Onslaught Trailer - YouTube[/ame]
    I'm more inclined to believe that the developers got together and just got high every day until the last 2-3 months of the development cycle where they slapped this shit together then proceeded to collect their paychecks.

yes. i am sure that is what they do.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I just looked it up and I can confirm the game has blatant cheaters on console too. This video was uploaded two days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDt2Lut7OYQ

You know a game won't get fixed when stuff like that is happening on consoles :/