Home Dota 2

Belkun's Workshop

Replies

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Aren't spigots normally at the bottom of a barrel so you can empty the whole of it? Right now once you get to half you wouldn't be able to drink anymore. I agree on the size as well. I'm not really sure where you're going for the insect as you've mainly just blocked it out thus far so it is hard to give critiques on it.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Let there BEE color!

8CiTpho.jpg

Still lots of shading to do, also change that tap thingy and adjust some stuff, but it's getting there!

@praetus

Yeah, they're usually at the bottom, but that wouldn't look so good on our current setup, would be kinda weird having it sticking out of the top or something, and also it would make sense! No one wants that!
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    You could get around it by rotating it 30 degrees and having the spigot angled towards the back. It would fall between the rope and the bee's butt. Basically make it look like the barrel is somewhat rotated. Looks good with that color though. Keep up the good work.
  • hayes87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hayes87 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Belkun, would be nice if the bee's knees were not at the same height, as the back legs tend to be a little longer.
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ALe8OL72vfA/TeYpJDKeY0I/AAAAAAAAB1Y/JP97j6x4o9U/s320/220px-HoneyBeeAnatomy.png

the eyes could pop out a little more, they are kinda occluded when looking at it from the front.

And also the cord wont get in the way in the flying form?
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    hayes87 wrote: »
    Hey Belkun, would be nice if the bee's knees

Ha, the bees knees.

Im worried about the readability of the fur from the game camera/ the noise. I would really recommend working those forms some more.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    @praetus

I still think that I like the spigot where it is now. Again, even if it doesn't make a lot of sense, the keg looks a bit too plain without it.

@hayes87

I'll try to work a bit more on the legs and eyes today, thanks for the suggestions! About the rope, I think there shouldn't be a problem for the flying version, since it will be moved to the front of the bee like on the concept here:

OPE55TL.jpg

@heboltz3

I tried making the fur a bit more 'clean' and simple, using Pior's Sniper set and some Lycan wolves as reference, but I don't think it really works or fits the bee. The fuzzy style I went for fits a lot more imo, and since the textures are 512px, I think they're going to look fine ingame, but still, I'll see if I can perhaps adjust it a bit.

Starting the stream a bit later today, possibly in an hour or so. Hoping to wrap up the main sculpt.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that you should try to get it into engine ASAP, or at the very least zoom out to a cam view so we can see what is going on.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Here's are a some super zoomed out shots:

3SmokWS.jpg

I think that the fur is reading really well, only need to adjust some of the occlusion, looks too strong on some areas. It's pretty much the same way I did the fur on the Puck set, and it didn't look bad at all ingame, even on Puck's small textures.

Stream should be up in a few minutes: http://twitch.tv/belkuns
  • hayes87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hayes87 polycounter lvl 6
    belkun wrote: »
    OPE55TL.jpg

Oh, thought it was the same for both versions. But I think theres a concept problem on the flying version with the barrel being tied to its neck. The center of mass will be pushed forward. And Ill have to angle it up some much that the bee will fly kinda weird. Maybe make the bee hold it with her legs?
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    hayes87 wrote: »
    Oh, thought it was the same for both versions. But I think theres a concept problem on the flying version with the barrel being tied to its neck. The center of mass will be pushed forward. And Ill have to angle it up some much that the bee will fly kinda weird. Maybe make the bee hold it with her legs?

We can definitely use the same model for both versions, but I'm not sure if it would look really good.

Still, that's kinda the idea I think. On the flying version make the keg a bit smaller and the bee bigger to go with the idea that it's "grown up", and the center of mass pushed forward helping with the other idea of being a drunk bee, so it flies kinda erratically.

I'll check with Arty about this, but I believe it should work fine.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah mang, the fur rly totaly looks great! Keep it rocking bruno.
  • Noblebatterfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noblebatterfly polycounter lvl 10
    @praetus

I still think that I like the spigot where it is now. Again, even if it doesn't make a lot of sense, the keg looks a bit too plain without it.

@hayes87

I'll try to work a bit more on the legs and eyes today, thanks for the suggestions! About the rope, I think there shouldn't be a problem for the flying version, since it will be moved to the front of the bee like on the concept here:

OPE55TL.jpg

@heboltz3

I tried making the fur a bit more 'clean' and simple, using Pior's Sniper set and some Lycan wolves as reference, but I don't think it really works or fits the bee. The fuzzy style I went for fits a lot more imo, and since the textures are 512px, I think they're going to look fine ingame, but still, I'll see if I can perhaps adjust it a bit.

Starting the stream a bit later today, possibly in an hour or so. Hoping to wrap up the main sculpt.

whose concept it is?
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    @Noblebatterfly

The concept is from Artypi!

I think I should be pretty much done with it! Hit me with your best critical hits!

gl8uZN8.jpg
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    its starting to look rly well belkun! i wonder how it will fly :)
  • Potm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Potm keyframe
    so so soso so cute, even i dont usually like bugs

will totally buy one when it's in game ;3
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks guys!

Didn't post or stream anything from the flying version, since it was mostly a lot of resizing and repositioning, but here are the lowpolies! Why are retopo days so tiring D:

Wd3I4PJ.jpg

Still a bunch of stuff to tweak before starting the unwrap, but I hope to finish it this weekend.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    I'd really love some feedback on the UVs. There's some empty space at the bottom, but I have no idea how to fill it and or if I should even bother with it.

LskkbDL.jpg
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Well, adjusted some stuff on the UVs and baked everything. Base textures are pretty much done. Now I just have to fix some clipping, move everything into position, finish lod1 and wrap up the model.

HAUUX4b.jpg

Ignore the wings clipping and stuff, only for demonstration purposes. I think I should be able to finish it tomorrow.
  • amadeus.mozart
    into the uv space you should try to linear straight the barrel and even the ropes, here's an old thread from Jeremy Klein that might help you understand what i'm talking about http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1875662&postcount=7814 even so it will help you tighten the uv space
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Both lods for both models are DONE! My job on the bee is done for now. Time for Arty and Hayes to do their magic :)

8OT1HQG.jpg
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Since my job on the bee is done, going to start on a Skywrath Mage set from BladeOfEvilsBane today! Going live in a few minutes: http://www.twitch.tv/belkuns
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Managed to lay down most of the groundwork for the set, still some cleanup to do, specially on the helm, and the wings are just a blockout too, but I managed to get most of the shoulders, belt and bracers out of the way.

Ngv4k6l.jpg

Not sure if I'm keeping the wings like that. I like the furry style, but I may try another approach to the feathers.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Son, you are getting fast at this...
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    Due to the budget, are the wings going to have to be flat planes with transparencies? Looking nice!
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    darkkyo wrote: »
    Due to the budget, are the wings going to have to be flat planes with transparencies? Looking nice!

Yup. I plan on using alpha on the bottom of the wings and then spending most of the tris to get some volume on the top. I'll see If I can also try layering multiple planes with alpha, not sure how that will look like.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Alright, time to get back on track! Couldn't work much on the set yesterday since I had to take care of some papers, but I tried to mess with some feathers. Spent some hours today getting a sexy overlay for my stream and refreshing my ZBrush UI.

Well, time to make some feathers! Anuxi, please bless me!

http://twitch.tv/belkuns
  • hmshark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good luck! I watched 1 hour of you making the items for skywrath mage. although I don't use zbrush I learned a lot! keep up the good work!
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for watching! Glad I could help :)

Tried a bunch of feather styles yesterday and cleaned up some other stuff, today it's time to really get into those wings!

http://twitch.tv/belkuns
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Had a change of plans! Arty sent me some incredibly sexy textures for the Puck set, and since it's a priority right now, I spent most of the day doing masks for it and tweaking some stuff. Here's a fancy pic from Marmoset!

cg2Of2E.jpg

We really need some ideas for the promo thingy and the turntable!

Also, here are some feathers for the wings on the Skywrath Mage set:

2Y9xqRo.jpg
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice feathers. Anything special in how you made them?
  • foxclover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A suggestion for the feathers: The shapes on your feathers are all pretty similar, they shrink in size, but are pretty consistent in shape.

Imperial_Eagle_Feather_Portrait.jpg

These are all feathers from the imperial eagle. See how much variation there is? And the feathers are all pretty smooth too, to help streamline the bird for flight. I think you could change the larger feathers to be wider and less tapered, it would look more impressive and substantive when it's put together. You could also smooth out the feathers a bit more, so they don't look so noisy. With layers of feathers, it's sure to look impressive because of the shape alone!
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    @Vayne4800

Nothing really special, just ShadowBox to get the initial shape and then OrbCracks for everything :)

@foxclover

Thanks A LOT for those references! It's really going to help a bunch! I'll try to do some more variations and different shapes.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    The Puck set I worked on with Artypi for Tactic Hive is up on the workshop!

GxB44oZ.jpg
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    So, been a couple of weeks since I posted some progress on my stuff around here, was taking a bit of a break, got kinda burned out doing only Dota stuff (and Dark Souls II was released!) but now I'm back on track!

Here's a new shot from the feathers! A much more cleaner silhouette and some more shape diversity:

ljR4eRC.jpg

The colors are not final, although the overall shape probably is close to, but I'd love some more suggestions :)

Now for some progress on the rest of the set!

A few changes to the helm, specially the back, since we're a bit concerned with the budget, and also lots of tweaking on the rest of it. Still need some changes specially at the back, and also some clean up, but it's getting there:

gh0CKZ8.jpg

Some changes and more polish on the shoulders:

wv5iuO5.jpg

And the skirt! We're going to change around the front a bit so it looks less boring and simple compared to the rest of the set:

x5DnJgC.jpg

And finally the bracers. Matt redesigned the gem and I cleaned up some other stuff. Still no colors yet!

7M1Upld.jpg

Lots of progress done today, hopefully wrapping this up soon! Having a lot of fun now that I got the feathers mostly out of the way.

Again, critique is always very much appreciated <3
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    The wings are waaaaaaaaay too small methinks
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Spudnik wrote: »
    The wings are waaaaaaaaay too small methinks

Haha, everyone always says that. We're going to have three of them!

n6WjJTU.jpg
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Sculpt is pretty much done. Would love some feedback!

Tried to do a simple presentation thingy:

rfXNpDk.jpg
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simply amazing. Maybe put something in that big hole in the chest piece?
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    Simply amazing. Maybe put something in that big hole in the chest piece?

We're planning on having particles there, a bit like Iron Man haha
  • agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We're planning on having particles there, a bit like Iron Man haha

3594-i-knew-it.jpg
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Super quick 2min rig to test everything ingame. Only some base colors, no masks and no wings yet.

tZYw52c.jpg

Hope to finish the wings this week, rig it properly and then send it off to texturing and some extra rigging for the wings.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    A bit of a cross-post from the main workshop thread!

Since for now my work on the SWM set is almost done and we're not rushing it, I took some time to work on my backlog, starting with a DK sword from foxclover. However, I have a bit of a problem with it! I think I had a bit 'too much fun' with the textures that in the end it looks like something geared a bit more towards Doom, so I'm not sure who I submit it for, perhaps both of them? Also, some feedback on the textures itself would be greatly appreciated!

JB8BdNT.jpg

If I manage to submit it on the next couple of days, I'm starting this sexy Enchantress set from cottonwings this week!
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    It sure seems to be a good fit for Doom ! Probably with a thicker hilt ?
  • CamCrawfordNZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dammmnnnnn. Skywrath set. Would buy/10
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    It looks nice but in my opinion there is too much contrast. The hilt is dark, the tip is dark, where is the heat coming from?
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I agree a more prominent gradient would be nice :) And maybe lengthen the handle a bit, it seems like its really hard to hold on to.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Sukotto wrote: »
    I agree a more prominent gradient would be nice :) And maybe lengthen the handle a bit, it seems like its really hard to hold on to.

Its also heavier towards the tip making it a better weapon for doom.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Finished this little sword for DK! Concept by foxclover and particles from TheHorseStrangler! I was expecting to do something way simpler, but got a bit carried away, and I really really like the final result personally, specially with those sexy particles!

UrMElJO.jpg

3CGviOr.gif
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    awesome dk sword !
  • hmshark