Home Dota 2

Belkun's Workshop

Replies

• GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    nice, but I think there is too much green on the staff (the bottom gradient) and the beard looks fake in the marmoset preview. (there's a gap)
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the feedback Ken!

I agree with the leaves suggestion. We are trying to add some variation, but at the same time kinda keeping it around the same hue of the green on the set so they match. We tried some warmer tones but it didn't work out that well into our spring theme. I'll see if we can tweak that a bit.

@GhostDetector

I think that the green on the staff helps it look a bit less boring, adding some color variation on the bottom, instead of just brown. Also, what do you mean by a gap on the beard? Still, Marmoset is just a way to preview it, I think that the beard looks fine in-game.

Some extra angles on the treant and on the set:

QHu1yEU.jpg

GFLMMRM.jpg
  • agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    he means the gap looks like a fake beard and it looks like just hang on face.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Hmm, I think that I can kinda see what you're talking about. Its angle is the same as on the default one, and even the thickness, the only difference is the shape, and I think that it works like it should ingame, specially when he turns around and it jiggles a bit. It was originally angled a bit downwards, but it clipped a lot with his chest unless I made it almost static, so I chose to make it a bit closer to the original beard position-wise, and I like the results ingame.
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Hey looking great, have you guys tried adding the same blue glow that is on the treants back for his eyes? I think the black holes do sort of work, but just a thought.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    @TrevorJ

That's one of our plans! :D I just got some base masks on the treant, but first I want to check it out ingame with the current black holes on the eyes, then we'll check out how it looks with some glow and selfillum there. Hayes is still doing some rigging on the treant, so I'm kinda leaving it on the backburner while we polish the set.
  • NFWar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blue spots on summons. when those pass through relief, they dont get darker. Looks like overpaint and not a part of it texture. YOu could slightly erase spots on relief gaps.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! Here is one more update on the treant:

HdOzdWa.jpg

And a small preview of Skywrath's sword with a custom animation from hayes :D

ci7ar9A.jpg
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Those leaves :O! That hard labor work turned out good results!
  • cottonwings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That fluffy butt tail! great work on the textures.
  • hmshark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice treants, but why did u give skywrath mage a sword?
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    hmshark wrote: »
    nice treants, but why did u give skywrath mage a sword?

Any reason he can't use a sword?
    I love the idea and execution :)

Edit: However I feel the blade part is just a tad too big for a magic/flying character to wield -- though I'm not sure if it's too late to change that...
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    darkkyo wrote: »
    Any reason he can't use a sword?
    I love the idea and execution :)

Edit: However I feel the blade part is just a tad too big for a magic/flying character to wield -- though I'm not sure if it's too late to change that...

Exactly, haha! The main reason I'm making is because it's different and original, instead of just a regular staff. The size is definitely one concern I had, and I even made a smaller version, but Matt (BladeOfEvilsBane) wants it to be big, so there we are! The sword is pretty much done, just waiting for the animations now, but still, the size is something really easy to change, and if we feel that it's too big I can do some tweaks.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Our Nature's Prophet set is finally up on the Workshop!

9VNHZsT.jpg

Oh, and I also got a Facebook page for myself!

https://www.facebook.com/belkuns.workshop
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Looks awesome! I knew the set was going to turn out great, but that image is such a nice touch. You guys shot right onto the first page as well, lookin good.
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    This turned out great!
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Oh jeeze, its FINALLY done. hehehe.

For real tho, you nailed it brother. Pat yourself on the back , grab a beer, and put your feet up for a few days because this is the quality I'll be expecting from now on ;)
  • cottonwings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *high-pitched screech at the adorable treants, aggressively smashes thumbs up button*
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    ggwp
    I already see myself backdooring the barracks using those treants :D
  • Nikey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, really like this set and loading screen :D
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks everyone so much for the support!

People always ask me about the turntable video, so here are a couple of pictures of my Marmoset scene.

CHRRGF0.jpg

sH8S83F.jpg

Arty did the original sketch for the pose, and then hayes did the pose itself. I set up the whole scene, lights, materials, turntable render, video editing, etc.

The leaves were created using a plane assigned to a particle emitter on Maya, then I just "baked" the animation and exported it. The grass base texture is from the game itself, I just had to create the mesh and an alpha for it, which I did using a custom brush I created using another grass texture from the game too.

To render the turntable, you just have to go to Capture>Turntable. You can adjust the settings on Capture>Settings. The settings I've used for my video were 1920x1080 as the resolution, PNG, clockwise scene rotation, 30FPS and 16 seconds. I also turned on Local Reflections, High-Res Shadows and Ambient Occlusion under the Render settings before rendering the turntable. You can check out the post processing settings used on the main camera on the first screenshot. After rendering it, you can just throw all of the images on your favorite video editing software and it should read it as a video.

Hope that helps someone! Let me know if there's anything extra I can do to help :D
  • iRYO400
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @belkun
    I think someone will print it by the 3d-printer, it's really looks cool!
  • Pastat7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • foxclover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh cool, thanks for posting the marmoset screenshot! Did you use the dota 2 settings that were posted here a couple weeks back?
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    foxclover wrote: »
    Oh cool, thanks for posting the marmoset screenshot! Did you use the dota 2 settings that were posted here a couple weeks back?

Yup! But I did a lot of manual tweaking on the specular exponent, scale, rimlight scale and their specific colors to get the lighting that I wanted.
  • sapolini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun wrote: »
    After looking up for more information around here on Polycount, I changed a lot of my texturing style on that Bloodseeker weapon since my old crappy stuff. Took some advice from here and there, and since a lot of people are posting about their workflow, I had nothing better to do so here's a quick breakdown on that last item's textures:

x3YcItn.jpg

Just showing how I set up everything and the base maps. I usually do a lot of adjustments, mainly painting on the individual color layers, using Curves to crank up the cavity, also some Curves to tone down a bit the "diffuse", and finally some hue/saturation on the occlusion maps.

It's pretty close to Valve's guide to texturing, but instead of using a point light I'm now using an object space map, which serves pretty much the same purpose and is much faster to get. I also use the maps from nDo2 on top of everything to give some more definition to the edges and get a stronger shape, so there's no need to paint a lot of stuff and the texture isn't so flat.

Hope it helps someone!

And as always, suggestions and critique is very much welcome :D

Thanks for this! :D

I have a couple of doubts. The normal (object space (b&n) and normal2 (green ch) how do you bake it? With Xnormal too?

And for the maps you bake in ndo2, wich map you convert to cavity, diffuse and occlusion2?? the normal one from xNormal??

Thanks mate! Great job
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    @sapolini

I changed a bit how I do the textures after posting this image. I don't really use anything from nDo2 anymore, since I think it's a bit pointless, especially when I do some shading on the polypaint and stuff. If I did, I think that the occlusion would be the only useful one.

To bake an Object Space Normal Map you go to xNormal and click on the "..." to the right of "Normal map" on the Baking options tab. Then you just uncheck the Tangent space checkbox, and it should bake you an object space normal map. You can get its green channel as some sort of substitute for the pointlight, since it's essentially a topdown light.

Here's how I'm doing textures right now:

kj3ZG3W.jpg

After setting everything up like that, I just paint on top of it or send it to my texture artist. It may require a bit more painting, but I believe that I get a better result with it. Both ways are fine though

I get the cavity map using this Photoshop script and the gradient using this Maya script.

Oh, and a heads up: if you're using that script to get a cavity map (which you run after opening your tangent space normal) the dimensions of the image matter! Specially when you're resizing it to 256x256 for Dota 2. Here's a quick comparison I did:

rUC9tvL.jpg

I usually do it on a 512px normal map and then just resize it. I think that it's too weak if you use the 1024px one and too strong if you do it at 256px.
  • sapolini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank u really much for your time!! I apreciate this! Do you know if there is any way to do the gradient map with the software I have (blender, 3dsmax, xnormal)?
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    The CK set I worked on with Stefco and Prophet9 is finally up on the worksop!

hsCvaPa.jpg
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Going to start on a Puck set in a few minutes. Streaming on TwitchTV as always :D

http://www.twitch.tv/belkuns/
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you! :D

Again, I got a few questions about the turntable, so here's a shot of the full scene. Don't want that sexy lava field to go unnoticed haha

tEkZ2Aj.jpg

Also, a really really rough blockout of the Puck set. Not sure if I'm happy with the wings, this is like the third or fourth iteration lol

ljgqvl9.jpg

Oh, I'm also streaming again in a few minutes! Tune in for more bee Puck!

http://twitch.tv/belkuns
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Thank you! :D

Again, I got a few questions about the turntable, so here's a shot of the full scene. Don't want that sexy lava field to go unnoticed haha

tEkZ2Aj.jpg

Belkun, raising the bar.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Belkun, raising the bar.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT8OU5WtfkQ"]Push it to the Limit - YouTube[/ame]
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    I love you guys <3

Another day of fun streaming today! Here's the Puck set so far. Still lots and lots of work to do on the hair and tail, also the wings are not positioned correctly yet. I want to paint them first so the symmetry looks good, then I'll get them on the right place and start sculpting some of the fur on the back.

xsvhEo5.jpg

Went through 5 or so different wings, but settled down on this one.

As always, critique is very much appreciated!
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Streamerino is uperino: http://www.twitch.tv/belkuns/

I also managed to upload to YouTube some of the streams of the treant polypaint:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me3Seag44Rw&quot;]Verodicia&#39;s Children - Body Polypaint - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h56MYwo4skE&quot;]Verodicia&#39;s Children - Leaves and arms polypaint - YouTube[/ame]
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Today's progress on the Puck set:

A0Odfmb.jpg

Not sure if I'm keeping the fur like that. Some feedback on it would be great. The back fur is mostly a blockout. Same thing for the tail.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Wings are looking good mate! Something feels off about the tail for me. Looks a bit too long considering its thickness and maybe a bit too low down. Looking forward to more progress! Keep it up!
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah, we're changing the tail a bit. Got a really nice suggestion from Konras that we tried to incorporate into the design.

Anyway, stream will be up in a few minutes: http://www.twitch.tv/belkuns
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    And here's more progress!

6aISNAq.jpg

I'm quite happy with some stuff! I may even be able to wrap up the sculpt tomorrow. Still need to sculpt the fur on the back and also polish the stinger a bit more.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Stream will be up in a few minutes: http://www.twitch.tv/belkuns/
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Almost done! Just some tweaking and cleanup left now, and then onwards to the dreaded lowpoly.

oxWo6uH.jpg
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod

x3YcItn.jpg

Hey man, just noticed this image thanks to the quote above, and I just wanted to point out - be careful. When you're baking AO/Diff in nDo, you need to flip your green channel for it to generate correctly - they both look backwards. it's really hard to tell, but if you flip and then generate them once more you'll see exactly what I mean. It makes quite a difference too. I'd do a case study for you but since nDo2 doens't work for shit on Win8.1/PS-CC i'm unable to use it until the new version releases.

THEY MAY NOT BE WRONG. But I wanted to make sure I mentioned that this has been a recurring issue for myself when converting in nDo.
    Hope this helps!
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah, I don't really remember if I flipped them before baking the maps, been a while since I posted this thing haha. Still, I don't use that method anymore, I feel that there is a lot of pointless stuff. If I need the extra occlusion I like to get it from Knald, and I just ignore the other maps, but in 90% of the cases I do the textures like on my most recent post about this here. Thanks for the heads up though! If someone wants to try out this method, your post should help a lot.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    lod0 and bakes are done! Now onto lod1 and then rig this baby.

KIUYEdk.jpg
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Puck set is mostly done! Currently on the texturing stage with Arty. Meanwhile, I'm going to start some work on the bee courier. Streaming it on TwitchTV as always!

http://twitch.tv/belkuns
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Well, that was fun! Really tiring, but still fun :) Worked on this baby 7h nonstop, I desperately need a break haha.

ZFnoKbp.jpg

Still quite a lot to do. The body and head are just blockouts, and I'm not sure if I'm that happy with the cloth around the keg. If possible I'll try to get some more work on it today, but for now I'm going to chill for a bit.
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    i think you'll have to scale up the spigot thing on the barrel. it's barely noticeable right now, and ingame it'll be about 20 times smaller. also you can probably flare it out a bit, it's a bit cylindrical
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    ike_ike wrote: »
    i think you'll have to scale up the spigot thing on the barrel. it's barely noticeable right now, and ingame it'll be about 20 times smaller. also you can probably flare it out a bit, it's a bit cylindrical

Yup, I agree! I'll see if i can make it bigger and get some more interesting shapes, since I just got some simple beer taps as reference when modelling it.

Also, todays streamerino will be up in a few minutes!

http://www.twitch.tv/belkuns