Home General Discussion

Battlefield 4

Replies

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_xaIv7Wo1A"]Battlefield 4: Official "Paracel Storm" Multiplayer Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

Make sure to watch to the very end of the video (until it stops)
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With BF4's Beta opening up OCTOBER 1st, we will be dropping a few keys here tonight!
    They are PC codes you can redeem in your Origin account and you should be able to pre-load the beta today. The beta will go on until the 15th October.

I got a whole bunch of them, please send me a PM and I will get back to you untill I run out of codes.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought the PC guys could already preload this weekend? (saw the posts about issues relating to it). I haven't fired up my PC version, to see. I plan to run beta on my PS3. Or are these keys for people who didn't qualify for the pre-beta?

I'm REALLY hoping some things got resolved with BF4. I'm kinda waiting to try the beta, before I pre-order. As of lately, the netcode has been driving me insane (and many others), and I'm hoping to see smart solutions to prevent spawn camping/base raping/vehicle stealing. The game looks beautiful, and I like the upgrades/changes, but it will all be for nothing, if players continue to shoot me around corners.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The keys are for those who didnt get the beta via premium or other offers. So if you did i guess you couldve loaded it as you said.

There are a lot of updates, but the best way is to get a feel for it by trying the beta tomorrow ;)
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rens is the beta PC only ?
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just asked and should be consol as well.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    notman wrote: »
    I thought the PC guys could already preload this weekend? (saw the posts about issues relating to it). I haven't fired up my PC version, to see. I plan to run beta on my PS3. Or are these keys for people who didn't qualify for the pre-beta?

I'm REALLY hoping some things got resolved with BF4. I'm kinda waiting to try the beta, before I pre-order. As of lately, the netcode has been driving me insane (and many others), and I'm hoping to see smart solutions to prevent spawn camping/base raping/vehicle stealing. The game looks beautiful, and I like the upgrades/changes, but it will all be for nothing, if players continue to shoot me around corners.

I preloaded pretty fast on PC yesterday. Rumor is they improved the netcode... Lets hope no more homing bullets following you around corners...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, all platforms get it tomorrow, if you did one of the 'qualifiers' to get early beta access. Otherwise, you have to wait until the 4th, then EVERYONE gets beta access. I hope it goes smoothly tomorrow, considering everyone will be hitting the consoles at once :/ Hopefully it starts early tomorrow, so most people will have downloaded it by the time I get home from work.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Thanks Rens!

If any polycounters want to get together for a game, I'm 'fearian' on battlefield.
  • Visum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visum polycounter lvl 7
    Preloaded.
    I'm sick and got leave time.
    Best timing EVER :)
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet ! Cant wait to try it !
  • TDub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TDub polycounter lvl 13
    Lets get a few polycount squads going! Add me, name is TylerDubdub. Going to stay up and play when it opens in 9 hours
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Haiddasalami on Origin if anyone wants to do a game around lunch time tomorrow :D
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright lads, I ran through my codes, hope you all enjoy the beta! :)
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    thanks rens! :) my name on origin is ChrisPerrella see you on the field!
  • TDub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TDub polycounter lvl 13
    Played 2 rounds with ultra settings.. drooool. Tons of epic moments and amazing tech. DAT WATER!
  • Visum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visum polycounter lvl 7
    I'm on 7950, 3770 (4.1) and high settings are not too smooth as I hoped.
  • Sardu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sardu polycounter lvl 5
    Looking forward to it Rens, should be hitting it later today.
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    For the 360, where should I look for the download? I'm premium and got the notice but I did not see anything in the store or premium section from the menu.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Visum wrote: »
    I'm on 7950, 3770 (4.1) and high settings are not too smooth as I hoped.

running a 760, and it's pretty laggy.

reflex sights are almost useless in comparison to bf3. Guns are weighted, and vehicles are nerfed to say in a way that you have limited heavy ammo now, and need to wait a while before more is available. IE I played gunner seat in attack heli, I have 3 clips, it takes like half a minute for a new clip to become available. I spent my 3 clips, and spent my time twiddling my thumbs while the other chopper had easy pickings. It makes it so now you need to think about ammo conservation with tanks and helis.

so far, BF4 feels completely different, and hampered by all the lag.
  • TDub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TDub polycounter lvl 13
    I'm enjoying this much more then BF3 already. Much less arcade action, and much more precision/thought going into what you are doing. Think I'll really get into this one like i did with BF2 :)
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah it is really showing a good vision for the final game, once it isnt so laggy and I get a better framerate I am really going to enjoy this! I love all the little animations and 1st person cover gamedesign.

however I am getting stuck trying to go through 1 meterish gaps between destroyed parts such as rocks and windows. I feel really fat.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Yeah it is really showing a good vision for the final game, once it isnt so laggy and I get a better framerate I am really going to enjoy this! I love all the little animations and 1st person cover gamedesign.

however I am getting stuck trying to go through 1 meterish gaps between destroyed parts such as rocks and windows. I feel really fat.

just played for an hour but this is pretty much my impression so far too.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Solid new feel, but can't help that much of the UI is difficult to navigate and understand.

In BF3, it was EASY to tell if I hadn't unlocked a weapon, gadget, item attachment, etc. In this game, I don't know where to begin... Not to mention the font type used is not the problem, but it would really help if the primary listed items names were actually larger than the sub menu items that i can click on.

Aside from that, the game itself is fun. Though there are some funky invisible walls that border off the map strangely, as well as what WinterLord mentioned. Many collision model issues.

Last thing as well, maybe its the default gear, etc. But it feels like players are armored as much as a tank to take down a lot of the time. So that's a -1 for me. Just way too many bullets to take down players. Even much of the time w/ sniping and support.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    CrazyMatt wrote: »

Last thing as well, maybe its the default gear, etc. But it feels like players are armored as much as a tank to take down a lot of the time. So that's a -1 for me. Just way too many bullets to take down players. Even much of the time w/ sniping and support.

I have no issues 2 shot'ing guys at a distance using burst fire. I noticed the bullet spread is much greater than in bf3,so taking your time helps.

If anything I die faster, and spraying at mid to long range will net you nothing.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a central location for providing feedback/bugs?

I only played on the PS3 today, and there were things/irritations that I heard people repeating many times. Everyone seemed to understand it was beta, but some of these things seem like permanent decisions.

The top one for me, I wanted to rip out my select button. There is nothing familiar about these controls. Very few buttons were carried over from BF3, and even the 'veteran' options were only providing a 'slight' improvement. I hated flying the chopper, and I'm not a fan of the other vehicle controls... but I can get use to those.

Aaaaaannd, within minutes, someone had stolen our chopper. Not to mention, it felt like the choppers had a huge advantage. It was very difficult to take them down, especially without our own chopper.

The lack of team chat was another HUGE complaint. Especially without commander support right now. We had at least 8 guys, from our clan, on the same team, and it felt like you had to choose the person you liked most, to get in their squad.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So when someone blows up the building all my textures disappear :D That or everything is supposed to have dust over it.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Aaaaaannd, within minutes, someone had stolen our chopper. Not to mention, it felt like the choppers had a huge advantage. It was very difficult to take them down, especially without our own chopper.

everybody is new, and stingers aren't unlocked from the start :/

Received my first reward package. (at lvl 3) green laser for my pistol, and a sight for a gun not in the beta...
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I have one code left for the lucky guy that is fast.

EDIT: GONE.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So when someone blows up the building all my textures disappear :D That or everything is supposed to have dust over it.

I think that's the intention (dust covered). It would be cool, if there were little dust clouds (kicked up by infantry), to help sell it.
    I'm currently assuming there are plans to do more texture work to that map, because it feels very gray at the moment. That's the hard part about critiquing a beta... you don't know what is intentional, and what isn't ;)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I think they expect feedback on the official bf4 forums available from the main online interface, hopefully they are getting some good info and its all even better soon. :)
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    ill take one if anyone got any codes left for the PC :O
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that's the intention (dust covered). It would be cool, if there were little dust clouds (kicked up by infantry), to help sell it.
    I'm currently assuming there are plans to do more texture work to that map, because it feels very gray at the moment. That's the hard part about critiquing a beta... you don't know what is intentional, and what isn't ;)

Yeah that was my assumption that and Im playing on low cause otherwise I can barely get 30 fps. Trying some new drivers though might be time to upgrade the ol cpu and whatnot. Still on Q6600 nonsense :D
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Still on Q6600 nonsense :D
    me too :(
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Hmmm, I'm really not enjoying this on 360. Looks like absolute shite, and the level is so open.. There's barely any cover anywhere lol. It feels like the level is still in blockout.

Gonna have to compare it to PC!
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The open beta is available for download on origin now! :D
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    BF3 was a huge disappointment from me and this honestly just looks like BF3 DLC. Still, I'll have to try it before I knock it, downloading now.
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    Let's hope Titanfall success motivates EA to make a BF 2143. The lack of Bad Company style destruction in BF3 was a major short coming. I didn't like some of the exploitative elements. For example, the overly broken up perk system. Come on, why do i need to unlock the same scope for every single gun. WHY! And, why did they dumb down weapons like USAS? That sucker was superb as is. Now its usless. Oh, man, don't even get me started with the "slip n slide" tanks.....thaaa fuuuuucck?????

lol, anyways, BF4 has BIG shoes to fill if it wants to redeem and match the quality of Bad Company.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazyeyes wrote: »
    And, why did they dumb down weapons like USAS? That sucker was superb as is. Now its usless.

I agree with you on everything except that^^
    The USAS was SO OP that it was comical. Literally.... Battlefield Friends made a video about it, and it became one of their most popular videos. You didn't even need to aim that shit. Just point in room and hold the throttle. One clip would clear a room. That's why EVERYONE started using it. Every sign was there, that it needed tweaking.

Now, notice the word I used there... tweaking. For some damn reason DICE never 'tweaks' anything. They take it to some extreme other end of the scale. Yes, when I got around to trying to master the USAS, it was annoyingly under powered, but I still managed to complete the mastery ;)
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with you on everything except that^^
    The USAS was SO OP that it was comical. Literally.... Battlefield Friends made a video about it, and it became one of their most popular videos. You didn't even need to aim that shit. Just point in room and hold the throttle. One clip would clear a room. That's why EVERYONE started using it. Every sign was there, that it needed tweaking.

Now, notice the word I used there... tweaking. For some damn reason DICE never 'tweaks' anything. They take it to some extreme other end of the scale. Yes, when I got around to trying to master the USAS, it was annoyingly under powered, but I still managed to complete the mastery ;)

I would regularly see, triple, and quad kills in the top right corner in Metro pre-nerf. It was so laughable.

Although they nerfed my favourite setup, 870+frags+nightvision. Takes care of those pesky window sniping campers. I miss that...
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    i can see the OP nature of it. D.I.C.E should have simply reduced the Rate of Fire. Instead they reduced rate and power. It's a silly gun now.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was the problem with the mortar. Initially, it was a good weapon, but people abused it, but using it out of bounds (in their spawn area), so you could never really stop the guy. Instead of just restricting it to the battle zones, they also nerfed it down. A double whammy.

Another example, the AC130. People were complaining, because it was difficult to defend against, and it was very deadly. So, instead of just lowering the hit radius, they took it down to nothing, lowered the damage, AND removed the IR view. Now, it's pretty much useless.

I don't know why one adjustment isn't sufficient enough. I really wonder some times, if the guys making these decisions, really know why they are choosing their changes. I really hope that they were going with overkill, because they were limited on teh number of updates they could do. If that's the case, than hopefully the new consoles (with the revised update system), will be allowed more updates, and smaller tweaks can be done.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone else getting crap framerates? i got a pretty decent pc, i7, 16gig ram, GTX660 etc. but still no matter what graphics settings or resolution i try, i get really low fps! :(
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, my PC is dying here. While it is a 2 year old laptop (MSI GT683), this is the first game that is just completely unplayable for me. Nearly every other game runs flawlessly at medium settings, including BF3.

The FPS doesn't seem to be too bad, but the stuttering is just killing it.

Maybe it is the time for me to think about an upgrade :poly142:
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    Johnny you need to get the beta drivers from nvidia that were "optimized" for BF4. http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-331-40-beta-drivers-released
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the headsup dude, just upgraded to the latest one today but will try that one

edit, yeap, 331.40 beta drivers solves all the problems!
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is just my two cents now that I've had a solid number of hours playing the beta...

Levolution is really a marketing gimmick. Sure, you change the "look" of the environment. But not much really changes, and it's all scripted triggers. I can only recall of 1 time while playing beta where no one brought down the skyscraper. Which was actually nice. Because it was more about playing the game.

As it stands, I don't think BF4 is a good reason shell out $60-70. Nothing is really new whatsoever. Except new scanned data being used as characters and the other things. I really feel that this is a step back from BF3, and definitely BC2.

I would really like to see a urban battlefield leveled to the ground because of battling. Not because if X number of guys go to these support structures. Everything goes down. Then that's it, enjoy the dust...

I can state from personal experience in BC2 alone. That it would take me an entire round to level the entire map (well almost the whole map)... but never could I really do it on my own unless I had a few people to help me do it. Which because of this. I know for myself I would do it the first few times playing, but the rest of my ownership of playing BC2. I would actually play the game to fight and use the environment to my advantage. In BF4, there is NO advantage to be gained whatsoever. Unless you are as good as me doing a roof jump > parachuting > and laying down C4 to a few tanks capping a flag.

Rumor has it that DICE downed the amount of destruction for Beta. But I don't believe it. It would be a really lousy thing to have thousands of people test your game w/o everything in it. To literally have an intent to fix it and later if needed, change it. I don't know, but yeah... DICE will have to really step it up a lot if they want to captivate people from BC2, BF3 communities to shell out more money for this product. It's just not fair that this product really comes off as a cash grab.

As I remember watching Patrick Bach state that Frostbite 3 has the capability to level every building in the game to the ground if they choose to implement it. They chose not to, because of game play balance. HA, yeah it's not going to really change anything... Dunno, you can add all the waves in the ocean you want, the carts that can close on players. The road blockers, as well as shutters and other things. But what feels real in the world of battlefield. Is the feedback the world has to what you and your weapon can do. Not about the advantages that you can have. But that of what you can make with them upon your decision. That not being ever in the hands of the designers who script them to be triggered.

I can see plenty of buildings that could use collapse events other than that skyscraper in Shanghai. Whereas nearby ones always have squads of snipers on them. It'd be a satisfying treat to just know. I could take down a building with them on it. So not one of my guys on foot get taken down like rabbits in a open field.
  • Visum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visum polycounter lvl 7
    Number of cheaters is growing exponentially as well.
    I think I'm about to cancel my pre order
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    CrazyMatt wrote: »
    This is just my two cents now that I've had a solid number of hours playing the beta...

Levolution is really a marketing gimmick. Sure, you change the "look" of the environment. But not much really changes, and it's all scripted triggers. I can only recall of 1 time while playing beta where no one brought down the skyscraper. Which was actually nice. Because it was more about playing the game.

As it stands, I don't think BF4 is a good reason shell out $60-70. Nothing is really new whatsoever. Except new scanned data being used as characters and the other things. I really feel that this is a step back from BF3, and definitely BC2.

I would really like to see a urban battlefield leveled to the ground because of battling. Not because if X number of guys go to these support structures. Everything goes down. Then that's it, enjoy the dust...

I can state from personal experience in BC2 alone. That it would take me an entire round to level the entire map (well almost the whole map)... but never could I really do it on my own unless I had a few people to help me do it. Which because of this. I know for myself I would do it the first few times playing, but the rest of my ownership of playing BC2. I would actually play the game to fight and use the environment to my advantage. In BF4, there is NO advantage to be gained whatsoever. Unless you are as good as me doing a roof jump > parachuting > and laying down C4 to a few tanks capping a flag.

Rumor has it that DICE downed the amount of destruction for Beta. But I don't believe it. It would be a really lousy thing to have thousands of people test your game w/o everything in it. To literally have an intent to fix it and later if needed, change it. I don't know, but yeah... DICE will have to really step it up a lot if they want to captivate people from BC2, BF3 communities to shell out more money for this product. It's just not fair that this product really comes off as a cash grab.

As I remember watching Patrick Bach state that Frostbite 3 has the capability to level every building in the game to the ground if they choose to implement it. They chose not to, because of game play balance. HA, yeah it's not going to really change anything... Dunno, you can add all the waves in the ocean you want, the carts that can close on players. The road blockers, as well as shutters and other things. But what feels real in the world of battlefield. Is the feedback the world has to what you and your weapon can do. Not about the advantages that you can have. But that of what you can make with them upon your decision. That not being ever in the hands of the designers who script them to be triggered.

I can see plenty of buildings that could use collapse events other than that skyscraper in Shanghai. Whereas nearby ones always have squads of snipers on them. It'd be a satisfying treat to just know. I could take down a building with them on it. So not one of my guys on foot get taken down like rabbits in a open field.

Took the words brotha. DICE has seriously dropped the ball. But, the only way they will change is if they see a dip in sales accompanied by consumer gripes.

Dice seems to really be making BF4 for gimmick hype rather than real advancement. Apparently that sells??? Guess we will see. Lets hope weather changing with the waves turns out to be a bigger deal.

Anyone notice how shitty the water looked? i mean, GTA 5 water was "leagues", lol, better than BF4 in every way.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    you mean... DICE are doing what the CoD devs have been doing since forever? OH MY COD!