Home General Discussion

Maya 2014 finally gets a huge update to its modeling tools!

Replies

• DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    So I dont know how many guys study off from Autodesk student website, but they have all three programs there.

Although; I am more interested in finding out about the student license, and what not. I mean this maya is going to last for a year if downloaded, or is it just free to use for students. Like softimage xsi is. It doesnt say anything about the limitations in the license agreement or the part where it was suppose to tell you in red that this product is valid for 13 months.

EDIT:

Wait, never mind;

According to their FAQs, as of 1st of October, 2012, they made it free to download and use for instructional and personal learning.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=20907731&linkID=9240617#section4
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    Although; I am more interested in finding out about the student license, and what not. I mean this maya is going to last for a year if downloaded, or is it just free to use for students.

three years for non commercial use, if you are at an academic school. every time you save a file and give it to someone using the non student version it will notify them it was created in the student.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    gray wrote: »
    @Ark

@inside

i have not seen anyone advocate spline modeling for over 10 years. the lack of spline modeling is a feature :). for anything complicated splines are even more hellish then nurbs. for anything simple there is generally a way to do it with curves, nurbs or polygons just as fast.
    Thse people just have no idea what are they loosing by not using 3ds max splines.
    I use them very heavly. Especially on all curvy things (tubes, cables) architecture (Arches, ornaments).
    Yeah. Do ornaments with curves in Maya. Have fun. I do it 4x times faster in max.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    iniside wrote: »
    Thse people just have no idea what are they loosing by not using 3ds max splines.
    I use them very heavly. Especially on all curvy things (tubes, cables) architecture (Arches, ornaments).
    Yeah. Do ornaments with curves in Maya. Have fun. I do it 4x times faster in max.

Do you have an example you can post? I ask because I haven't used splines in max so as maya user I don't really have a point of reference.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    So far for those that upgraded to maya2014, how did autodesk rolled up the "send to 3dsmax" option ?

What is it like since you use maya2014, can you send a file back to max2013 ? im just asking out of pure curiosity. The new modeling tools are they worth the upgrade ?
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    iniside wrote: »

By the seven rings of Karam, i first started with max at a time that it was not even named max, did i read this well, maya splines are totally lightyears away from anything on this earth let alone lightwave3D, if you want to talk about speed.

Clear the interface of any window/option boxes and learn the shortcuts (expert mode).
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ wrote: »
    So far for those that upgraded to maya2014, how did autodesk rolled up the "send to 3dsmax" option ?

What is it like since you use maya2014, can you send a file back to max2013 ? im just asking out of pure curiosity. The new modeling tools are they worth the upgrade ?

if youve got the most recent fbx plugin yup, imo i would strongly suggest waiting a release to buy an upgrade for maya
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    so something thats been bugging me with 2014 lately is preselection highlighting. if i isolate faces, verts, or edges of an object, preselection highlighting still occurs on the components that are hidden. is there any way to disable this (not the highlighting altogether but the highlighting of the hidden faces)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Oniram wrote: »
    so something thats been bugging me with 2014 lately is preselection highlighting. if i isolate faces, verts, or edges of an object, preselection highlighting still occurs on the components that are hidden. is there any way to disable this (not the highlighting altogether but the highlighting of the hidden faces)

thats exactly what I meant in my earlier post but I noticed that I can still click on those preselected faces and move them even when they are hidden from view! it must be a bug.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    yea so far i havent been able to find anything about it. we logged it as a bug at work. for now i just turned off the preselection highlight in the selection preferences and its fine. kinda sucks to not be able to see what im selecting though. its like we're in the stone ages or something!
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its.. brokem actually and a confirmed bug. I cant stress how important it is to use the small annoying things voting thread thing http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/forums/160518-small-annoying-things-to-fix-in-maya-forum/suggestions/3442687-improve-or-update-isolate-selected-for-working-wit
    specific to your issues. D:
  • JoelStransky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoelStransky polycounter lvl 4
    Ugg, the isolate select bug is driving me nuts. Anyone found a workaround yet?
  • CG_Maniac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Bellsy is misunderstanding what we mean by integrating the Modeling Toolkit (MTK) into Maya. At least what I think a lot of Maya users mean is we don't even want a MTK.

Two of Maya's strongest points for modeling are marking menus and more functionality smartly compacted into less tools, and both of those are being ignored with the MTK.

Here's a nice feedback to vote on for proper integration:

http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/forums/160514-ideas-for-maya-forum/suggestions/4328087-integrate-the-new-modelling-toolset-with-the-exist

Right now both versions of transform tools have their advantages and disadvantages and we need all the advantages combined together into one version each of the move, scale and rotate tool.

MTK transform tools some major advantages:

1. Better feedback by displaying axis when cursor hovers over axis handles. The feedback for center trackball area of rotate tool is especially useful to avoid accidental trackball drags.

I prefer only feedback of trackball area darkening on hover because the axis feedback are distracting so please keep these feedback settings independent.

2. Selection improvements:

a. Selects nearest component instead of requiring you to hover almost directly over the components.

b. Click selecting is camera-based selection(CBS), except in wireframe, & is independent of marquee selection CBS setting.

c. Shift dble click & ctrl dble click for selection and deselection of edge rings and partial edge rings, and it smartly uses selection context to determine if the double click is for edge loop or ring.

d. Considers last selected component allowing selection of adjacent face paths instead of creating a face path in 2 or 3 directions

e. Holding tab conveniently toggles drag select which is also far better than Maya's drag select because (2. a.) allows painting verts far easier, and drag selections are far easier when only having to visually track an entire small icon(circle) vs a small part of a large icon (brush tip).

f. Allows hiding manipulator when pressing modifier keys for selections of edges and verts obstructed by manipulator handle without having to switch to selection tool.

3. Edge Slide and Surface Slide

4. Adjust pivot button is nice

5. More intuitive 2-axis moving and scaling with plane handles. But I prefer Maya's Ctrl click for plane constraint since it's accessible in more view angles and the plane handles are distracting.

Although they are currently complementary for scale tool unless the issue is fixed so we can Ctrl click drag scale in all 3 plane constraints in orthographic views.

MTK transform tools some major disadvantages:

1. Only work on components

2. No Ctrl Shift marking menu(MM) and missing many options in Ctrl Shift MM for Maya's transform tools. (w,e,r MMs are slower except when already using hotkey to switch tool.)

3. So bright neon colored it's distracting and uncomfortable to my eyes.

4. MTK's soft select's gradation is much harder to see(even after customizing) and many Maya users are accustomed to Maya's soft select fall off.