Home Contests & Challenges Archives

ESCAPE – The Beryllium Gang – TeamCosmoBear

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking fantastic guys, I love the style!

Are you guys planning on rigging them up or just posing them in place? Also how is the environment coming?
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    ziikutv - It might be the perspective in 3d coat, but his hands might also be pretty large. :). I'll check the scale on them again but I think they're pretty close to the concept. Did you want a wireframe render?

d1ver - We should have an enviro update this weekend sometime. :). Nik has started on tech models and textures and ill be starting on foliage this weekend. Chris(tkfrog) is finishing up the terrain block out right now.

Mark - My original plan was to do full rigs for the characters(facial as well) though at this point they may end up being simple just to get them posed. We'll see. :)
  • Systemics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Systemics polycounter lvl 4
    Looking good so far fellas keep it up!
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work, I am still trying to figure out how you guys create your textures. Is it just an AO map with flat colors?Keep up the awesome work~!
  • TipsyMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Subscribed! Awesome style and execution! Keep up the great work!
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks dudes! We're hard at work this weekend, and should have a good update tomorrow night. Slim is getting a "final" texture pass, terrain is almost modeled out, some of the tech props will be done, a plant or two.
    KennyTies wrote: »
    Awesome work, I am still trying to figure out how you guys create your textures. Is it just an AO map with flat colors?Keep up the awesome work~!

They're all hand-painted. Some AO might be used as a base(not sure as each of us has a bit different workflow, but it's all mostly painted.) I'll post up a flat shaded version of Slim tomorrow and see if you've got any more questions after that. :)

So Nik hopped into 3d work this week, while still keeping up with his concepter duties as well. Good 'ol german engineering. He modeled and textured a tech prop that will be part of the landscape. All painted in photoshop I believe:
    render_Tech_Vat_01.jpg

I went ahead and did a quickie spec map for it. The idea is to keep our color maps fairly low on real textural detail and bring a little bit more in with the spec. Still pretty clean overall which fits the look we're going for. I painted up a quick metal overlay(scratches, etc) to use while painting the spec to keep with the "from scratch" mentality.
    render_Tech_Vat_01_Lit.jpg
    We'll need to dial everything in once we've got it in-engine and working together. That'll probably be next week's major project for me while everyone else finishes up assets.

More to come!
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Love the style :)
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Love this stuff so much!! Can't wait to see all the textures *_*
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, flats would be great! So it is normal mapped then? Awesome work on the prop Nik!
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KennyTies wrote: »
    Awesome, flats would be great! So it is normal mapped then? Awesome work on the prop Nik!

Nope, we're not doing any high poly or normal maps. It's just straight "low poly" with painted textures(color, spec, glow if needed), though our specs are roughly current gen-ish. For instance, Slim is around 8k tris with a 2k texture map.
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jason, thanks for laying down all the knowledge! Ive been trying to figure out this style for myself recently and your post have been very helpful!.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No prob Kenny! Let me know if you've got any specific questions or need some explanation.

Here's Slim textured and lit inside 3dsmax via xoliul shader. Glow is just done in photoshop, though I have a glow map done as well. I'll post it up again once in-engine with that stuff working.
    WIP_06.jpg

Texture process with the spec map is the same as what I mentioned earlier with the tech vat that Nik made. Color/diffuse is painted and kept relatively clean, spec map brings in a bit of extra textural detail(scratches, fabric, etc). It's pretty subtle in many areas, but it helps break up larger areas of specularity as well as fresnel along the edges. Also, since I painted some lighting information into the color map, I took that, desaturated it, and ran a high pass filter to get rid of broad shading. This left me with a pseudo cavity map that helped to give some volume to parts that weren't modeled out.

Here's a flat shaded version to show what's in the color texture map:
    WIP_06_flat.jpg
    You can see that I didn't go super contrast-y with the textures, as I knew that lighting would do quite a bit. Since I painted the color map inside 3dCoat I was constantly turning lighting on and off to make sure I got the overal values correct.
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude so much knowledge! I cant wait to start doing texture work like this! Your post are becoming more and more helpful! So from what I understand you are just using a light and dark color in your diffuse and faking a cavity map?
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The "cavity" map is just a processed version of my diffuse texture map that I can use to knock back some specularity and help preserve some details. In my day job, I do all low-poly and painted textures(no spec), and our lighting isn't super strong or dynamic. We end up painting a lot more contrast/value difference between light and dark into the diffuse textures. For this project since we're using CE3 and have nice lighting, we can go lower on the contrast level for the diffuse and let the lighting take care of the lightest values and darkest values. Hopefully that makes sense. There's still a subtle amount of overall lighting that I've painted in to help pop some areas and accentuate volumes.

For what I was talking about with my spec process, hopefully this will clear it up. Since we're not dealing with normal maps in this project, adding specularity can do a lot to flatten out details that have been painted into the diffuse. For example(and these are just painted in photoshop, so not 100% accurate):

Flat diffuse:
    spec_07.jpg

Specular with a flat value applied(again, this is faked in photoshop to illustrate my point):
    spec_08.jpg

Specular with some lighting information included to help break up detail/shapes:
    spec_09.jpg

Now, if I had done a high-poly and bakes, some of that would come from an AO bake or cavity maps. The normal map would also help break up the specularity anyway.

Since I don't have anything but my diffuse map, I used a high pass filtered version of my diffuse:

Diffuse:
    spec_01.jpg
    Base specular value:
    spec_02.jpg

Greyscaled version of my Diffuse:
    spec_03.jpg

Base spec value with this multiplied. This I do not want as it adds too much shading to the spec map and would essentially kill any specular values on the underside of the arm.
    spec_05.jpg

So what I do is take the greyscaled version of the diffuse and apply a high pass filter to it(in some cases I also adjusted the levels and surfaced blur to rid myself of extra noise):
    spec_04.jpg

And multiply that on top of the base spec value:
    spec_06.jpg

While not physically accurate, it does help punch out some forms that I've painted in.
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude you are awesome! You dont know how much I appreciate this! I cant wait to implement this in my workflow. Also I cant wait to see some new work!
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    I figured I'd post this up as people were asking about the environment and process/progress. This is the block out mesh that the set started from and I'm currently working on the refined/final geo for the set terrain. At this stage of the process this mesh is only 6.6k tris, not a dense mesh by any means but gets things in a spot where then I can make more deliberate sculpting of the mesh and add in any tertiary rocks/boulders and points of interest. I will post up another shot shortly once the refined/final terrain is in a more complete state. Nik has been working on more tech prop pieces during the weekend (blast shields, doorway, etc.) so those will be placed soon as well.
    BlockOutStage01CWIP.jpg
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome environment wip TelekineticFrog, I get a real sense of scale from the current block out.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »
    13 days left :)

Shhhhhhhh.

We're still hard at work on finishing this up. Lots left to do, but we're making good progress and should be good to finish on time. Plenty of late nights. :)

Beryllium_Gang_WIP.jpg

Nik is working on the rock textures, Chris just finished up the rock modeling and is back on texturing the stage coach, and I'm getting all the stuffs into CE3. Hopefully we'll have the sheriffbots in tomorrow or Tuesday.
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That update is great! Keep up the great work!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    This is looking really awesome guys! Like the texturing stuff Jason. Keep posting.

TK get on the textures! Can't wait.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! We're going to post nightly updates from here 'til submission. Nik finished up the rock texture and moved onto some more pipes to outfit the environment. We are still planning to cut in some geo on the rock walls to help add depth if time permits. Chris is still UV'ing the stagecoach, but should be done shortly. I mostly worked on tweaking environment stuff tonight and started posing Slim for the first beauty shot. Waiting on Frank to deliver the sheriff so we can get that in. Hopefully we'll at least have it roughly placed for tomorrow's update. Billy had stuff come up, so he's no longer contributing anything to our entry.

Beryllium_Gang_WIP_02.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    This is looking so good! Nice tip about the specular map. Got to try that some time.
  • Xeroll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The colours blend so well together! Great job!
  • Callesw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great entry!:) Thanks for showing those nifty tips and tricks!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great to see how this is shaping up guys!
  • TheQiwiMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheQiwiMan polycounter lvl 12
    YOU CAN DOO EET!!! GO GO GO!

Lookin fantastic guys!
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Sorry for lack of updates, I had to switch over to model and texture the sheriff's bike. Here's an update on that. I'll finish up the glow and spec maps for it tomorrow and then back to environment stuff.

bike_wip.jpg
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update, still lots to do! Today I got the sheriff rigged and put him and the bike in, did some spec map work across various things, and tweaked some textures. Gotta do an fx and foliage pass tomorrow to tighten up them graphics. Sheriff bot texture is still WIP and there's currently no spec map on him.

Chris is plugging away on the stage coach texture, so tomorrow's update should have something on that front. :)

Beryllium_Gang_01.jpg

Looks like the image got a bit squished when I rendered out of cryengine, so I'll fix that tomorrow. :) Not sure if the fov got tweaked or what.

edit: Went ahead and just stretched it horizontally to fit the earlier composition for now.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks dope! cool composition and style!
  • iansmithartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iansmithartist polycounter lvl 14
    Still my favourite entry :). Its really stating to come together, excited to see the final shots.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks dudes! Ian, we are big fans of your entry as well. :)

Update on the environment. I am going to move on to some character and fx stuff this evening, Chris is still plugging away on the coach texture.
    Beryllium_Gang_01_WIP02.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    This is looking great. So much fun. I want to play this.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well dudes, we're going to have to call this. We're not going to get the entry done in time for the deadline, but we shall continue! Sorry to dissapoint. :(

Chris(TKFrog) and I are planning on finishing up this main beauty shot over the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't give up now! You should submit what you have anyway. What have you got to lose? On second look, yeah the carriage is not textured, just colored. An alternative would be to just put the cowboy dude on one of them police bikes. Could look like he's stolen one.

Really, this is too good to just stop before the finish line. Take what's finished or look finished enough and make the best of it.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, submit as is - its already pretty cool and has a great vibe!
  • iansmithartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree. It would be a real shame if you didn't submit something. Hope you can figure something out.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All right, I'll see if I can get something together today. :)
  • Poly Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poly Knight polycounter lvl 4
    Just wanted to chime in with everyone else, I really hope you guys submit something! This thread is my favorite of all the submissions.

Not only have I enjoyed watching it come together but it's rather inspirational as it's pushed me to start creating art in a painted style. Was just the kick in the butt I needed.

And a big thank you for the texture process/workflow break down. I'll certainly be giving it a try in the near future.

Hope I get to see it completed! Keep up the amazing work!!!
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kick in the butt guys. My loving wife gave me one this morning as well. :) I'm pretty happy overall, though we will probably still go back and revisit the main beauty shot to polish it up.

Here's the finals:
    Beryllium_Gang_Beauty_01.jpg
    Beryllium_Gang_Beauty_02.jpg
    Beryllium_Gang_Tech_01.jpg
    Beryllium_Gang_Tech_02.jpg
    Beryllium_Gang_Tech_03.jpg
    Beryllium_Gang_Tech_04.jpg
    Beryllium_Gang_Texture_01.jpg

The workload ended up being:
    Nik - Concepts, Tech props modeling/texturing, environment textures.
    remix - Sheriff bot modeling/texturing.
    TelekineticFrog - Stagecoach modeling/UVs, terrain modeling/UVs.
    Jason Young - Everything else. :P
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Totally awesome! Would love exploring this world in a game/movie.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats guys, this turned out fantastic :)
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    I just want to take the time as a team member and friend, to say a big thank you to Jason for busting his ass to pull the ending together and get our presentation put together so that this could be shared with the community here at Polycount. We had some speed bumps, some good times hanging out while working together, and some downs as well...but just like production work at any time, these things come into play and you adjust, persevere and carry on. I would work with him on anything and respect his drive to get this up here on time. I think I owe him beer or something now. ;)

Thanks as well to all who watched and the kind words as well. It was a lot of hours but a lot of fun to work on. Nik provided some fun concepts to work from and I believe we all want to see more games in a style like this and what is being done with games like Wildstar (an inspiration for sure). We do plan to do some more with this after the contest and go back in and give some things the love and time that they deserve. I am proud of what has been achieved. So keep your eyes open, we will have more good stuff up on the forum soon.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So glad you guys got it together in the end. Definitely one of the potential winners!
  • TheQiwiMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheQiwiMan polycounter lvl 12
    Ditto, so glad you guys were able to submit this, even if you didn't get to polish it to the point you wanted. Still turned out FANTASTIC! I'd say without a doubt a solid contender!

Good luck guys! :)
  • iansmithartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad you guys managed to submit your entry, you did an amazing job.
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flewda polycounter lvl 17
    Holy cow this looks incredible! Great job, guys! Very well done.
  • emckenney
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    emckenney polycounter lvl 6
    Great work! Love the final scene, lots of energy and great composition. Really impressed with the all the work you guys put in to make this a believable world with a super cool art style.
  • BDub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just want to take the time as a team member and friend, to say a big thank you to Jason for busting his ass to pull the ending together and get our presentation put together so that this could be shared with the community here at Polycount. We had some speed bumps, some good times hanging out while working together, and some downs as well...but just like production work at any time, these things come into play and you adjust, persevere and carry on. I would work with him on anything and respect his drive to get this up here on time. I think I owe him beer or something now. ;)

As one of those speed-bump/downs, I'd just like to say publicly how impressed i am with the sheer amount of work Jason and Chris have put into this. Its an amazing entry. I am sad and bit jealous that I was unable to finish my contribution. That, being said, the entry does not lack anything because of it.

Excellent job guys! Amazing work!
  • Nik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nik
    Ditto on everything TelekineticFrog said.

For personal reasons I couldn't help out in the last 2 days but you guys pulled it together nicely. Once again thanks to Jason for the incredible amounts of work and hours he put in. Chris for busting out the environment in the past couple days, and everyone else who helped out on the team.