Boyo wrote: »
    This one is fantastic!!

tumblr_mijesgBQlZ1s6o4nio1_1280.jpg

Agreed.
  • Ruebe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mYwuhec.jpg
    I vote for this one, though the chinese tree thingy would also be awesome. Anyone know the artist?
  • Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruebe wrote: »
    mYwuhec.jpg
    I vote for this one, though the chinese tree thingy would also be awesome. Anyone know the artist?

I think we should do this one after the Chinese tree one :)
  • ljsketch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like it's a heads up between the moody night scene and the chinese tree.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I'm not sure what one should be done at this point. I try and rely less on votes but what I think works best. No matter what one is picked someone will not have what they want. I will do my best and consult some people and pick one of the three most voted.
  • FactoriesBurning
    well maybe i'll just make one of the sci fi ones in my OWN noob challenge thread.
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    That's cool Alex - but please keep feasibility in mind when making your decision. The amount of time some of us can realistically dedicate to this is a real issue - that's why I chose the Chinese courtyard; it's small and manageable :)
  • Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think most of us would not really mind if you picked something that we did not vote for, after all they are all really good. I just think the tree scene is small and contained, so it's not too big of a job for the newer artists (like me) ;).
  • LuCh!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    didn't get the time for the previous one, probably no time for this one either,
    but here are my votes!
    there are others I like a lot too, but these are my favourites that I think are achievable in scale

y6irccy.jpg

tumblr_mijesgBQlZ1s6o4nio1_1280.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am for sure keeping time in mind, in fact that's what I'm most worried about with the scene with the tree and stuff. I feel like most people won't be able to actually finish that. We'll have to see. I think the one with the little house and the moon is smaller scale and a different type of scene that focuses on mood and hand painted textures possibly, my weakest point personally. Not only that but translating that well into 3d takes effort and creativity. I think that both are good and shall decide tonight.

Also, the month after next needs to be scifi, I would like to bring a more varied amount of scenes to this challenge and think that it would help everyone diversify their skills.
  • Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well pick something quickly, I wanna get started!
  • r3spawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foliage is always difficult to model when you're a "noob". The Chinese (Japanese?) scene has one tree and it's a pretty simple one. The other scene has a few trees and grass, which is something even experienced artists find difficult to get right.

The Japanese (I'm sticking with Japanese, since there is a bonsai tree there and the tree in the middle looks like dying Cherry Blossom) scene has some leaves on the roof of the building but those aren't as essential to the image as the trees in the other concept.
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    r3spawn wrote: »
    Foliage is always difficult to model when you're a "noob". The Chinese (Japanese?) scene has one tree and it's a pretty simple one. The other scene has a few trees and grass, which is something even experienced artists find difficult to get right.

The Japanese (I'm sticking with Japanese, since there is a bonsai tree there and the tree in the middle looks like dying Cherry Blossom) scene has some leaves on the roof of the building but those aren't as essential to the image as the trees in the other concept.

Foliage isn't so bad, and it's absolutely necessary if you want to get good at Environment Art, so if anything the small house scene would be beneficial to people who struggle with foliage. (Has there been a noob challenge with foliage yet?)

For the house scene, I think the assets would essentially be some grass patches (an alpha card texture), 2-3 tree variations (you can make 1 tree and and edit the canopy and branches so that you have variations), a cliff/rock texture, a sky box, a small bridge, and the house. Plus anything else people want to add.

The Asian scene definitely has WAY more assets. The cherry tree, cobblestone texture, the tiled roof, a potted bonsai tree, petals, window/shutters, pillars, empty pot, fence around the cherry tree, 4-5 signs, the paper things hanging from the tree, wall designs, vines growing on the top of the building, and some other elements. Looks like way more. I think it's deceptively complicated.
  • Stoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stoy polycounter lvl 13
    r3spawn wrote: »

Like I said earlier I've checked with a friend a few months ago who says the signs are in chinese, and the artist Wang Rui is chinese. : )

The sign over the door says "Orchid garden" and the sign on the right was in some writing that's only used for decoration these days. Not sure exactly what to do with making those, but it deterred me a little from starting the project back then. Shouldn't be a big deal though, I guess.

For reference: http://www.wangrays.com/concept_countyard.html
  • Kl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kl
    benji wrote: »
    That's cool Alex - but please keep feasibility in mind when making your decision. The amount of time some of us can realistically dedicate to this is a real issue - that's why I chose the Chinese courtyard; it's small and manageable :)

I agree with this wise man, time is always a factor in these challenges. However, whatever we end up with looks pretty dam sweet to try and complete.
  • Artelios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like 3 of the pictures.
    A) The large tall structures with the climbers
    B) The Japanese cherry blossom tree in the entrance everyone's raving about and
    C) I like the building/street scene with the hanging lights.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    March 1st ... WHAT SAY YOU?! :)
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    March 1st ... WHAT SAY YOU?! :)

Once I get to work I shall write up the new thread my dearest friend.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
  • EddieG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well as you can see I didn't get very far but I still learned a lot while doing my research on how to make it happen. I got stuck on many aspects of creating and texturing and I sure have much to learn about UDK. I like having these sort of goals. I am signing up for challenge number 5. See you guys there.