Home Technical Talk

Official handplane support thread - Now freeware!!

Replies

• AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    hi computron:
    tangent to object is something we have been discussing for a while and do plan to add.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    hi computron:
    tangent to object is something we have been discussing for a while and do plan to add.

Hey Alec, Thanks for the quick reply, I am looking forward to it.

Bek wrote: »
    Yeah sorry by synched I meant "matched" as you said in your original post, I wasn't very clear in writing that.

Do you mean that because your ts nm is not in xNormal's tangent basis, that any conversion of that map though xN will be flawed because of this mismatch? For what you're using the ts-to-os map for (dDo) it doesn't seem like it would matter? As an example, the Mud filter in dDo uses the direction from the OS NM correct? Since the details added by nDo aren't going to be large forms, are there any filters that you would actually want to take the nDo details into account?

Basically I'm thinking:

1) Does it actually matter that the OS map in dDo has your nDo details or not? (I would assume no but test the specific case you're working with)
    2) If yes, does it matter that the ts map converted by xN to os 'matches' the ts nm. (Ie will the mismatch cause any problems in the final outputs from dDo? I would assume no, but again why not just test it?)

The answer to both of your questions would be yes, it can matter a lot.

There are many included filters with dDo that are small scale and orientation dependant that even minor normals errors could throw off. Mud is not the only example, sun bleaching is a nice filter I can think of off the top of my head. There is also lots of custom applications that one could make with their filter creator.

And, as you know, unsynced tangent basises can lead to very big, or very minor problems depending on the asset and the way its been set up as well as the target renderer. If we are going through the trouble of staying synced with handplane, why leave one step unsynced? it would sort of ruin the point.

With this feature, My perfectly synced normals workflow would be as such:

Bake WorldSpace (3ds max) -> Handplane w/ Unity tangent space (So that I am synced with 3Do, nDo 2's Previewer) -> Edit this map in nDo2 (adding details not in the high poly) -> convert this nDo2-edited map back with Handplane to an additional WS/OS normals map.

At this point I end up with two maps:

1. An nDo2-edited Tangent Space Normals map that matches dDo's unity previewer perfectly, ready for texturing.
    2. An nDo2 edited World Space map that can be used in dDo for orientation dependant detailing/filters

And the best part is that this "Final" (nDo 2 edited) World-Space map could once again be converted to match, perfectly, any target engine that handplane supports, and I would have perfect textures from dDo with accurate normals in it's interactive previewer.

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Computron wrote: »
    And, as you know, unsynced tangent basises can lead to very big, or very minor problems depending on the asset and the way its been set up as well as the target renderer. If we are going through the trouble of staying synced with handplane, why leave one step unsynced? it would sort of ruin the point.

When talking about normal maps yeah, having them synced with your target engine can be quite important. I'm having trouble understanding how the accuracy of the OS nm could be detrimental to the textures computed by dDo though. Maybe when I get my pc back up and running I'll muck around with this stuff to see if I can get a better understanding of what's going on.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minor inaccuracies with your objectspace normal map in dDo should be little concern, ddo uses OS maps for directional based effects and things like that, which does not need the same level of accuracy as tangent space normal maps.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    two new videos today. The first is a complete baking workflow compressed into 10 minutes:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l59_R7RENxE"]handplane baking tutorial part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

and the second video is the first in a series comparing different normal map outputs in game engines. This one is for source:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeP-tOKryxU"]Source engine comparison with handplane - YouTube[/ame]
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    It would be nice to demonstrate the technique you described at the end of that last video, in another video, showing the specifics and limitation of that method. Specifically, seeing your approach to fixing bad shading on a particular asset with the support loops added post-bake, and then regenerating the Handplane normal map.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Awesome videos, it's always great having tutorials to share where people actually talk about how normal maps work, and tips to fix common issues, such as edges being too sharp.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    Alec asked me to take a look at different tangent spaces for Beth games, so here's a test in Fallout: New Vegas. Baked with a single smoothing group.

http://youtu.be/JYdGi3UDRBA

Still comparison:

38usY.jpg

Actual release version with SGs split at UV breaks, baked straight in 3ds max:

38uJV.jpg
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    thanks for putting that together. I think overall the max output looks better. One nice thing with handplane is that you can bake a big sculpt mesh inside xnormal but still get access to a 3dsmax TB map.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as I'm able to tell, Gamebryo uses the ATI tangent basis (presumably from the old ATI NormalMapper, which is open source - http://developer.amd.com/resources/archive/archived-tools/gpu-tools-archive/normal-mapper/).

Unless Bethesda have changed that to a custom one at some point.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    thanks for the link james. Ill look into that.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had a look at the code... might take a while to figure out where the actual tangent basis bit is :P

I'm basing this on...
    https://support.gamebryo.com/index.php?app=wiki&page=LSmaxMaterials13

Which seems to suggest there's 3 options; Max, ATI or Gamebryo. Although this page suggests that ATI is the default? https://support.gamebryo.com/index.php?app=wiki&page=LSwriteNSFs5
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    uploaded a newer version of the unity tests several posts down:
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice video.

The little lock icon at the top-right of the Inspector is a godsend when you're selecting other stuff, btw. Should save you having to re-select your mesh each time you want to throw a new normal map on it.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    For the source tagent, has this been tested with DOTA2 as well? I'm just curious if it uses the same tagent.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I haven't actually tested dota2 but im 99% sure it will be the same. In the past I have tested portal 2, cs:s, cs:go and dod:s
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Farfarer wrote: »
    Nice video.

The little lock icon at the top-right of the Inspector is a godsend when you're selecting other stuff, btw. Should save you having to re-select your mesh each time you want to throw a new normal map on it.

Wow, I can't believe I didn't know about that.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Here's a teaser for the unreal comparison video:
    unreal_teaser.gif

The third output is handplane's "input tangent and binormal" option. This does something similar to xnormal when you bake with "use exported normals" checked where it uses normals and tangents found in the file to bake the normal map. Both handplane outputs look better than the xnormal UDK workflow.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I updated the unity video to show the deferred rending path:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWToeCw1B24"]handplane unity comparison - YouTube[/ame]

You can skip to the end to see deferred rendering but it looks perfect.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    and an unreal video today:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syDH7aLfqv0"]handplane UDK comparison - YouTube[/ame]
  • James Ordner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to let the developers know, xrg shared in another thread that Blender now supports exporting sharp edges as smoothing groups to OBJ (and soon to be implemented to FBX). I tested myself, and found that Handplane finally picks up on exported hard edges from Blender, instead of averaging the normals of the low poly mesh. Blender users can now take full advantage of Handplane as an awesome tool that works with meshes with more than one smoothing group!
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Tried handplane again today, and sadly I'm still getting the error I mailed you about a while ago.. my resulting normal map looks like a mashup of both OS and TS maps. I bake using sbm (xnormal) and use FBX for handplane's calculations..
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    What was your email called? Did I respond to the issue when you emailed me last time?

Your problem sounds like the most common support question I get- so far, in almost all cases this is caused by a different set of shells used to bake the object space map as are used for the tangent space calculation. The problem areas, are they mirrored or repeated elements? An easy first debug step for handplane is to apply your object space normals to the object (before sending anything into handplane). More often than not these problems can be seen before handplane is used. You can also double check that your object isn't storing a bunch of transform info by running a reset xform.

Also, for fun you can try loading the broken normal map into engine. It should still look correct, just with inverted or rotated shading on the problem areas.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Alec, thanks for the swift reply! (My mail was titled "Handplane odd output")

The only difference between the models I baked with vs the one I fed to handplane is that I used sbm for baking in xnormal and fbx for handplane. This mesh is light on the mirroring, there's one mirrored area (moved outside 0,1), which correspondingly shows up black in xnormal's 3d viewer straight after baking. The funny thing is, other shells altogether are giving me grief, looking like a wacky OS normal map, while most of the handplane output texture certainly looks like a regular TS map.

I'll throw it into an engine soon, in marmoset it certainly looked off.

Thanks again, and I didn't mean to come over as nagging or anything.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Can you email me these files to look at? The low and object space are all I really need.
  • Giankharlo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Giankharlo polycounter lvl 5
    Any new regarding maya 2014 H3D exporter plugins???? cause Im not getting good results when converting object to tangent , Im using obj format for my LR mesh . And , Im not really sure about it , but in your maya / handplane workflow , you dont show ur uv islands ( hard edges should be split??) and I dont know if I should harden /soften edges before bake in Xnormal
  • olivierth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    olivierth polycounter lvl 9
    Hi,

I've used Handplane with xnormal before and it worked great! This time I wanted to bake from 3dsmax to get better control over the projection cage but once I pass my object space normal map I end up with a not so tangent looking map.

Here are the steps I took:

1. These are the settings I used to generate the obj space norm.

2. That's what I get (looks good)

3. Before using Handplane, I tested the map in 3dsmax and it looked ok. One thing to note is I have to check "Flip Green (Y)" for it to display properly.

4. These are the settings in Handplane. It renders without any pop-up message.

5. This is the result. As you can see, it looks more like object space rather than tangent.

Did I do something wrong?

Thank you for helping!:\

HandPlaneProblem_zps4e191c54.jpg~original
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try setting Baked In to auto detect? Seems to catch 90% of stuff.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try resetting your Xforms before bringing it into handplane
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And try setting "Baked In" to Auto Detect, it should figure out most things OK.
  • olivierth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I reseted Xformed before exporting my low res (although I'm not sure the matrix of an object can be exported). I made sure the normals are in the right way. I set it to "auto detect" but I get the exact same thing.

Help!
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last time I nagged Alec Moody, I seemed to have solved it by Xforming and setting all elements of my asset to a common pivot..
  • sciAnce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there an h3d export plugin for maya 2011?

Also, what do you need to get a different tangent system working? I am interested in a unique output for our proprietary engine. Thanks!
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oliverth: In your baking options, where it says Green -Y, try setting that to +Y.

Then you shouldn't have to tick Flip Green in your material and Handplane might like it better.
  • olivierth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey cptSwing, I took all the elements of my mesh and placed them at 0,0,0 (that's what you mean right?) I Xformed it and tried again but I get the same result.

I had also tried copying the mesh way off to left on X and got all the parts together like they should be (I usually tried with all the elements move apart from each other so there wouldn't be any intersections) and tried with that. Here's the funky artwork I got:

Also, I made sure there wasn't any duplicate polygons.

Help!
    HandPlaneProblem02_zps4eb5a471.jpg~original
  • olivierth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried re-installing. I tried from a new scene on a sphere with deformations and I still get the same "object space" normal map look.

Are there specific export settings I need for my obj?
  • olivierth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried again with the sphere but I exported with FBX. It now looks like a tangent map but it still have weird streching across the map. It has to be about export settings.

HandPlaneProblem03_zps104bcc42.jpg~original
  • olivierth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Farfarer, I tried that also (change Y at bake) but it doesn't change a Thing. It shouldn't since handplane is set to auto.
  • olivierth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SOLVED!

I think I found the solution. I re-exported as OBJ and made sure to uncheck "Flip YZ-axis (Poser-like)". It worked for my sphere test. I'll try with my gun.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Hey Oliver,
    Please email me your object space map along with your max scene. Also, it appears that your fbx plugins could use an update (there is a good chance this is the cause of your problems).

alecmoody@gmail.com

You shouldn't need a common pivot but handplane may get confused by rotational transforms. I think this is something we can fix going forward.

Also, the y/z flip should be handled by auto detect correctly, its strange that it is solving your issue.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Giankharlo wrote: »
    Any new regarding maya 2014 H3D exporter plugins???? cause Im not getting good results when converting object to tangent , Im using obj format for my LR mesh . And , Im not really sure about it , but in your maya / handplane workflow , you dont show ur uv islands ( hard edges should be split??) and I dont know if I should harden /soften edges before bake in Xnormal

maya 2014 plugins for 64bit are included in the handpane 1.2 installer.
  • olivierth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks AlecMoody, I just sent you an email.

I'm using 3dsmax 2012. Could that be the reason the fbx is out of date?
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can grab FBX updates from the autodesk site
  • Polynaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polynaught polycounter lvl 11
    I am trying to pass a world space normal map baked from a highpoly subtool in ZBrush 4R4 along with the lowpoly mesh (doesn't matter if I take the exported mesh from ZBrush or a completely smoothed one from Maya 2010 and exported as OBJ) into handplane. But I get similar results like olivierth.

Also handplane pops a message at me when I set its "Baked In" setting to ZBrush telling me that it seems like my object space map has its y and z swapped.
    Every bake - regardless of setting it to Auto Detect or to ZBrush - results in a tangent map that looks way too colorful in my eyes and doesn't shade correctly in Maya 2010.

It is uncertain to me if ZBrush's non-tangent normal map (which it calls World Space Normal Map) can be called an Object Space Normal Map at the same time because there shouldn't be any transforms on the mesh. It rests in the center of the world, so theoretically WS and OS should match, no?
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    We have added a checkbox for lowpoly object export to ignore any transforms on the low poly. If the object is baked in world space instead of object space the normal map is effectively double rotating and causing the strange colors. That map output is still a tangent space map, it just has its shading rotated, hence the weird colors.

Also, I would only use "auto detect" for baked in and the pop up about y/z is standard. There isn't a good way to predict the y/z orientation of both the lowpoly and the object space map.
  • Polynaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the ultra fast reply. I used version 1.2 of handplane. Is that checkbox in there or is there a newer version? I'll have a look when I am back home ... again, thx Alec :)
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    The checkbox isn't in any of the release builds but we will have an update soon.
  • Polynaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit: forget what I said in this posting - that blob mesh seems to shade correctly in Maya although the tangent map looks unsually colorful.
    But the issue with my other mesh still stands. I'm trying to save the mesh in different rotations / file formats and see whats happening.

Edit:
    POSSIBLE SOLUTION

For whatever reason - thx Alec for pointing me in that direction - I had to rotate the exported lowpoly obj mesh (that came from ZBrush) in Maya 180 degree about its Y (up-)axis.

I then had to export this mesh to obj again, provide it to handplane and let it do its calculation as usual in combination with the WS normal map from ZBrush.

The resultant tangent space normal looks as expected - no crazy color gradients, almost all nice blueish tones.

Yay, no cage needed.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Hi Alec, thanks for doing so much support for handplane

I'm testing it for our studio to use right now, and have run into a bug. I'm baking the normals for this character's face in xnormal. The mesh is mirrored and the UVs are stacked, but I've tried this stacked and with the other half offset by 1 and had the same result. The normal appears to bake fine, but the conversion to unreal through handplane is causing a weird artifact around the mouth. There's no special geometry or UV action happening to account for it. When I convert to unity instead of unreal, the problem doesn't occur. I've attached a pic of the error, with a shot including a UV overlay so you can see how the artifact follows a specific group of polies. I'm going to continue testing this today but would love any insight if this is something you've encountered.

cheers
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Hi Ted,
    Thats a new one. What does 3dsmax output look like? Also, what 3d package and file format are you using? I'm looking into this, if you are able, can you send over a lowpoly along with the object space map?