Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Homrighausen: Game Art Thread

Replies

• jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jsargent polycounter lvl 5
    I would still go a bit higher, especially for folio stuff. Make sure all those wheels are nice and round. Looking nice :)
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    homrighausen3d polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah I agree especially since its a portfolio piece. So I will make those changes when I get the chance. Unfortunately, I have to the low-poly on hold since I would advised by my professors to make proportion adjustments to my high-poly so that is now priority. Once those are fixed I will be back on the low-poly :). Thank you for your input, greatly appreciated!
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While working on the changes of the high-poly I decided to ask for feedback on my portfolio as a whole including my website. Instead of making an entirely new thread just for that I figured just asking in here would suffice. I want to make any adjustments necessary to improve my portfolio before I start sending it out to place here in a few weeks. I would love feedback on anything from my work to the functionality of my website :). Currently the coke machine page, and payphone are 100% done. The tractor page is 70-80% complete, and the modular environment is around 15-20%. So if you see black boxes as placeholders that's why. I have a feeling my biggest critique will be I need to beef up my portfolio with more work. Thank you for taking the time to give my portfolio/website a look its greatly appreciated.

Website
  • Sleuthman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sleuthman polycounter lvl 11
    It says you're a texture artist but 3 out of the 5 models on your site aren't textured? Definately finish all the work before applying for jobs or you'll just be shooting yourself in the foot I'm afraid. Aside from that, keep it up and add more content, model model model!!
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomLaird wrote: »
    It says you're a texture artist but 3 out of the 5 models on your site aren't textured? Definately finish all the work before applying for jobs or you'll just be shooting yourself in the foot I'm afraid. Aside from that, keep it up and add more content, model model model!!

Thank you for the feedback and I definitely agree. I may of asked for feedback prematurely since my work overall is not 100% finished but I decided on just throwing myself in the deep end. Thanks again for the honest feedback. I won't be applying to places till everything is finished and textured for sure.
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a few months since I have posted in my thread. After graduating I decided to take a small break but now I am back to start a new project. My portfolio currently is lacking and I will be changing that! I decided that starting an environment would be a good idea. The concept for the environment is a 70s abandoned/run down gas station which would allow for me to take my completed assets and add them to it since individually the assets aren't exactly super spectacular. This also means creating new assets. The end goal is to create a UDK environment. Down below are my reference sheets so far. After I finish compiling my asset list and getting the rest of the reference needed I will make a rough concept. I am very excited to start the journey of making an environment. :)

vyH3HNQ.jpg

0AcuUCp.jpg
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the rough/crude concept that I put together in Photoshop. I know a few items are not sized correctly within the concept but I am just wanting to get the mood and atmosphere I am going for across.

gozWwv2.jpg

I will definitely be adding more trash, and other assets to fill the scene. The ship was added to add a dramatic contrast with the vintage gas station and also allow me to work from a concept which I haven't really had experience with. Also I went with it being night time so that the ship could be the focal point since the lights etc would be on.

Full credit for the Falcon Spaceship concept goes to Karanak!

http://cghub.com/images/view/219279/
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting to block out the building so I can get it as close I can to the reference. I put a daylight system in my scene so I could get some quick lighting instead of doing screenshots. What I noticed while posting this is the overhang needs to be longer. Feel free to critique or point things out that are off compared to the reference! :poly142:

JJLfbeW.jpg

cFEYecg.jpg
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is another small update. Continued blocking out more aspects of the environment(motor oil cans, gas pumps etc). Plenty more to do. I am taking more time on this part of the process to hopefully improve my eye on proportions so assets are more accurate. Critique away!

Se7RFwq.jpg
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I went ahead and starting making some proportion adjustments to the main building in order to accommodate for the windows. Also added the coke machine and the payphone into the scene. Still lots to do! Once I get to adding details I will do close up shots of various areas.

wec3lUh.jpg
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My most recent finished model! It's only highpoly but was fun (:. It is a Russian speaker called Radiotechnika S9.

mjNbwFe.jpg
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Nice progress! Really liking it.
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls wrote: »
    Nice progress! Really liking it.

Thanks! Aiming to have more new stuff posted soon. :)
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been reading up on PBR texturing and decided it was time to get my feet wet by modeling a gun I could use as an experiment. That way I can better understand the whole process and make mistakes! So I will be participating in the Monthly Guns and Firearms challenge. I quickly roughed out the blocking for the model to get the big shapes down as well as the proportions. I know there are some pieces missing but I will get those in asap. :)

Monthly Guns and Firearms Challenge Thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139380

3ouOhxe.jpg
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Random little model I did on my lunch hour. Nothing special but it was fun! This weekend will be dedicated to the gun :).

edit: Materials I used were procedural vray materials I downloaded for testing purposes. I did the modeling/test lighting with vray.

JSGSyQR.jpg
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Nice speaker man. You should do the lowpoly and texture for it. Shouldn't take too long. ;)