Homrighausen: Game Art Thread

Replies

• homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    homrighausen3d polycounter lvl 5
    brandoom wrote: »
    Check for overlapping/duplicate faces?

I did not think of that! Thank you, I will check that right now.
  • Jarvgrimr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarvgrimr polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah that AO issue looks very much like duplicate faces/zfighting type problems.

Also, amazing work on the coke machine! Looking forward to seeing more of your work. You say you haven't done much in the way of low-poly before, what have you done mostly prior to this?
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarvgrimr wrote: »
    Yeah that AO issue looks very much like duplicate faces/zfighting type problems.

Also, amazing work on the coke machine! Looking forward to seeing more of your work. You say you haven't done much in the way of low-poly before, what have you done mostly prior to this?

I finally figured out what the issue was. My lowpoly piece in some areas were not matching the highpoly correctly which resulted in those odd areas. I'm glad you like the coke machine! :) Prior to this I dabbled with archviz for awhile but it didn't give me the kind of satisfaction/enjoyment I was expecting. So I decided to jump into the deep end with learning how to make gameart because that's why I ventured into 3d modeling etc in the first place and I haven't looked back since. Still much to learn, but I really enjoy it. I will be posting some updates in a bit!
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is where my model is currently. I ironed out all of the issues I was having so now I feel confident to move on to texturing. Though I did notice at the base of the payphone I am getting some weird shading which I assume has to do with my smoothing groups on the piece. I don't feel like I need to go back and fix it since it seems like a minor thing. Hopefully that doesn't end up biting me in the ass! Time to get in texturing mode.

e1IvNOy.jpg
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update! Been working on my website to get it up and running for my portfolio reviews later this week and one of things I have been working on is getting sketchfab being functional with my low-poly coke machine. So I decided to test it here. Hopefully I will be able to get to texturing my payphone here later tonight.

[SKETCHFAB]AmzPDkHeZje84alZznX0DZSuISN[/SKETCHFAB]
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started blocking in the base colors for payphone. They are definitely every crude at the moment. I tried to break up the base colors depending on the material. Examples being, matte/glossy plastic, shiny metal, light metal etc. I feel like right now the base colors are to dark and need to be lightened up some. Will have more progress soon!

eLyy3mw.jpg
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a small update on where my base colors are for the payphone. They are almost to where I would like them to be before I start really getting in their and defining each material. I am fairly certain pulling off metal will be a challenge, but I am looking forward to it. Down below is a screenshot of my current progress, and my diffuse map. Critique is most welcome! :)

jgF2c0o.jpg

75IumT0.jpg
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Currently polishing my website for upcoming portfolio reviews. I've tried to really nail down the alignment, and spacing for the homepage, coke machine, and payphone pages. Right now power king, project four/five pages are pretty much under-construction at the moment. They currently just have the same text as the coke machine page and lack any content. By no means is my website complete but I am working hard to get it there! Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Once I get my website sorted out 100% I will be back at it with texturing the payphone so I can finish it.

http://homrighausen3d.com/
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slowly making some progress on the textures. Still lots to do but that's the fun part! More updates hopefully later here in the night.

Y4deGm0.jpg
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Continuation on texturing the pay phone! I am still not satisfied with how the base of the pay phone is looking but I think it just needs more tweaking to get it to look right. I haven't really fleshed out the upper half of the pay phone. I should get to that very soon so I can wrap this piece up and get back to my tractor piece.

jySVw4s.jpg
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress on my pay phone. I decided on incorporating a spec map even though my diffuse map is not finished, but it will help get a better idea of how my materials are reacting to each other. As you can see in the screenshot below that I made changes to the base. I felt the base scratches etc just didn't look good so I went back and tried a different approach which I am more satisfied with. I also started working on the top part of the pay phone. Mainly experimenting with how I want to reveal the metal underneath the paint. Currently I went overboard and its way to much so that needs to be fixed. Once I get that sorted out I will move onto the actual pay phone area including the wire. Overall I feel like the textures are not cohesive with each other but maybe its just me.

OP9vvjg.jpg

fJA62Zy.jpg
  • vvheris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vvheris polycounter lvl 6
    I don't know which direction you are going, maybe this is post apocalyptic thing. But if its normal, current day thing, there is no way the thing could be that scratched. Some scratches here and there is good, they make the thing look realistic, but in this case, it looks like somebody just took a lot of sandpaper and scratched the thing whole day.
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @vvheris

Thank you for the feedback. I couldn't agree more. With the pay phone I am trying to go in the opposite direction of the coke machine and really push the material definition. After reading your feedback and taking a step back and looking at my work I realize I'm heading down the same path. Going to head back to the drawing board so I can rework the textures to be more subtle because a post-apocalyptic direction is not what I'm aiming for. Thanks again for the feedback! Greatly appreciated.
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to go with scratching my previous wear/tear textures and to start fresh but I didn't delete the layers so I still have them. I made a texture sheet of a few various reference pictures and highlighted areas for high and low frequency areas that I felt would be a good way to sell my textures and also be subtle which is want I am wanting to achieve with this model. Even though this model and the coke machine are some what the same I don't want them to be textured the same way so I can show off different skill sets. End goal for the pay phone is just have subtle texturing, and to show off material definition. I know I am some what going backwards but I want to do a awesome job on the textures so I feel its worth it. I apologize in advance for somewhat posting the same things the past few posts, but I want to make sure I document my progress which includes the failures!

VBufzfc.jpg

cRc9EYn.jpg
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Making some more progress. After several attempts at making a chrome material which would be the very shiny/reflective pieces on the payphone I finally accomplished a chrome material I was satisfied with but the specular needs to be tweaked because right now its blown out. Also the metal for the stand and base for the payphone I feel is much better now though some things could be toned down a little. I added some sticker ads to the payphone on the chrome pieces but they are hard to see since the spec is so blown out. So I will need to fix that. I feel like I am finally going in the right direction hopefully you guys agree!

oXHo55v.jpg
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texturing progress! Currently out of town so only been able to put some small amounts of time in here and there but hopefully I can finish this up asap. The bird poop that I added to the side of the stand I am not 100% sure I like it or not. I made minor changes to the base metal and feel the material definition is much better and I don't plan on spending anymore time tweaking it. Also fixed my spec map so its no longer blown out. More updates soon!

j4hyPAj.jpg
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to spend some time on the lighting aspect of this low-poly asset due to the previous one just being to plain. I think its an improvement, but still needs more work. I also made tweaks to the edge wear so that they feel more natural and less perfectly placed. Also varied the sizes in the wear.

Ps9w2fW.jpg
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to post up my diffuse/spec map to maybe get some feedback. I tried reworking my spec map since previously it was flat which I think was due to my lack of knowledge of what could be accomplished with a spec map which has caused me to struggle a decent amount. Though I feel like I am starting to understand it better. Hopefully more practice will help even more! :) Time to tackle the upper half of the model!

xYKx6gb.jpg

aFjVm4s.jpg

KaypZ0j.jpg
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made a few changes to the payphone. The biggest change is I added the holes that form the shape of a phone on the inside and outside. I accomplished that using an opacity map. I still need to tackle the payphone wire, payphone case(blue part), and a few small things then I think I can call this finished.

9f5Ok7O.jpg
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting close to being done with this payphone so I can move on wooo. I plan on toning down the amount of wear on the top since its a little over the top at the moment. Just a few more things to do then I am going to call this finished I think.

rjk7I8S.jpg
  • James.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James. polycounter lvl 6
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have finally finished the payphone. There are still things I would like to tweak but no project is ever truly finished and I can't work on this one forever. Here is a render out of marmoset, and also with wireframes. I am very satisfied with how the textures turned out. Hopefully you guys agree! Final tricount was 1,286 and 2k texture maps. Next project that I will be working on is the tractor I started awhile back which I will either get back to later today, or starting tomorrow.

zYY14ay.jpg

BlzpaJ2.jpg
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back to the bane of my existence aka the tractor :poly124:! I am excited to be working on it again though so I can start striving on accomplishing more complex models. Here is just a small update on the rear highpoly tires. As the previous models this will be high-poly, low-poly and textured.

v48zPmA.jpg
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been awhile since I have posted but here is an update! Got a good chunk done today on the front wheels, and axle of the tractor. Working on the tractor as well as a modular environment with a friend so I need to post some stuff up for that here soon. Lots to do.

asZhFx9.jpg
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a small update. Finished up the dashboard, gasoline tank, and battery. I am aiming to have the whole tractor done, crossing my fingers!

3Y5YnR9.jpg

NaQt08V.jpg

mGODd63.jpg
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last update for the night. Time to get some sleep.

XzKTlUQ.jpg
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is where my model is currently. Aiming to have it finished tonight. So I can get started on the low-poly.

eGTK8QW.jpg
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    High-poly container/bucket asset that was modeled for the modular environment that I am currently working on with a friend.

AwJCelB.jpg
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    Nice modeling! Great.
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Currently working on the steering wheel column or at least that's what I think its called. It's proving to be a little more difficult than I expected. I just need to get this area finished then the section underneath the hood then the high-poly will be done!

oFCmOc3.jpg

fsvIvs3.jpg

jrmcp4w.jpg
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my progress on the piece I am not 100% satisfied but it will do for now till I iron out what goes under the hood.

PUghEju.jpg
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    High-poly lockers for the modular environment. I modeled one complete locker, and then instanced them across. Also the base to the lockers is a separate piece. That way the lockers, and the base can be positioned anyway needed. I am new to modeling assets for a modular environment so hopefully I have the right mindset. Soon will be tackling the actual modular pieces to create the environment.

F01aYmI.jpg
  • Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joltya polycounter lvl 10
    How are people supposed to open the lockers if there are no handles?
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoltZero wrote: »
    How are people supposed to open the lockers if there are no handles?

You know I didn't notice that hah. I have no idea how I missed that but I will get that fixed. :)
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the finished beauty renders of the model. I broke it up into two separate images that way I wasn't trying to cram three of them in one image. Overall I am proud of how the model turned out. I know that the modeling/details could of been pushed more but with the most important deadline(graduating) fast approaching I did the best I could and I am quite satisfied with the results. I have learned a lot from this model and definitely will be able to apply it to the next model I do after I finish the low-poly. I will be starting the low-poly tonight.

m2kORpt.jpg

jRpUpsb.jpg
  • busticketent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tractor looks really happy
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    really nice, loving it
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @busticketent haha :)

@oxblood Thank you!

I decided that I am going to add some details in a few areas just to increase the overall visual interest. It's not a huge overhaul but enough that it should help out the whole model. Should be able to accomplish this by the end of the day for sure so I can get back on track for the low-poly.

PAjbp7Q.jpg
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shameless bump and way overdo update! Done with the high-poly. Time to tackle the low-poly and texture it.

1l1sF3C.jpg
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice and clean modeling!
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low-poly progress! I am sure I have wasted a few tri's here and there but I will be double checking before I start unwrapping once I get to that point. I am not exactly sure how many tri's this thing should be so I suppose I will be figuring that out as I go :poly124:.

EKKg10H.jpg

2nZTTUI.jpg

gfaG7OJ.jpg
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another small update on the low-poly. Hopefully can finish it tonight so I can move onto smoothing groups, and start unwrapping. I am going to need to find a better solution for the spring since currently it is way to many tri's.

3Hf6cdW.jpg
  • diamond3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diamond3 polycounter lvl 7
    Front wheels can use more polys. Honestly, rear ones too. IMO, wheels often suffer from insufficient polygons, while the whole vehicle seems to have properly rounded corners. Inner circles in the wheels can be ok at this detail, try doubling the polys on the outer surface only - it forms the silhouette, that's why it is important to make it smoother. Find the optimal topology using this guides:

http://wiki.polycount.com/SphereTopology
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72514
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! I had thought about adding more poly's to the front and back wheels but I was somewhat hesitant but I agree they definitely could use more to get a better silhouette. I had been contemplating how to do the tire rims, and I will probably be going with the method you suggested. I am checking out the links right now. I will make these changes here shortly after I eat some lunch :). Thanks again for the advice/feedback.
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low-poly update. Can't wait to start texturing.

Bdf7Mtq.jpg
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how many polys do you have here? I think It's still not enough, you can add few more to maybe tires.
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's around 8k tri's which I feel is way to much so that's why I am hesitant to add more to the tires etc. I need to look over all my pieces more and see if I can do a better job at optimizing.