Home General Discussion

Destiny

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    <<Spoiler Alert>>

Pretty handy link for end-game info, in case you're standing around the tower not sure what to do next XD

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2g22lo/about_to_hit_level_20_heres_what_to_do_next_minor/
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12

Its a hyped game so Jim will automatically give it a lower score.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno, it sounds like he has some valid points.

I think Destiny is definitely playing a long game here and it's true nature won't really emerge for a year or more. They need time to expand it ...
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Something has been bugging me about the writing ever since the early reveals. Why are the bad guys being given such cool-badass names, and why do the hero protagonists keep on referring to them as such ? Sterling enumerates them as "Fallen, Hive, Cabal, and Vex". Are these cool names self-given ? And if they are, why aren't the protagonists more aggressively derogatory about them ?

Granted I haven't played the game at this point but all story footage seems to be that way and I find it to be very odd and sterile somehow.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @pior: I think I know what you mean.

My personal hope is, given the grandoise nature of the story, they capitalize on the Isaac Asimov / 2001 Space Odyssey vibe they are sort of using, where elements of the narrative stay mysterious like the Traveller.

How that might be implemented eventually, I'm not sure.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    pior wrote: »
    Why are the bad guys being given such cool-badass names, and why do the hero protagonists keep on referring to them as such ? Sterling enumerates them as "Fallen, Hive, Cabal, and Vex". Are these cool names self-given ? And if they are, why aren't the protagonists more aggressively derogatory about them ?.

Well except for the Wizards and Witches. Like c'mon Bungie, WIZARDS.. and WITCHES.. meh.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I'm streaming myself play right now

http://www.twitch.tv/shermancg/
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    "Fallen, Hive, Cabal, and Vex". Are these cool names self-given ?
    I was under the impression these names were given by the humans or communicated by the Traveller, tbh. I've been working through the story missions really slowly, so I'm not sure either and can only guess.

The Hive is a Hive, so that's... easy to explain, but I mean... It's not like Bungie have a history of being super creative with their alien race names (Grunts, Elites, Prophets, Brutes... Halo had almost purely descriptive terms if you don't read the novels/look it up), and this has the additional factor of seemingly being modeled after classic fantasy archetypes. They seem to be going with names that reflect that, eg The Fallen may have "fallen" from the Traveller's blessed light, the Cabal may be some reflection of the use of the term to describe secret societies, Vex are maybe confusing in origin or something I don't bloody know. It's not exactly a complex issue though, and in the end they were probably named that because it sounded cool.

I kinda like it, despite how wrong I probably am about why they're named the way they are it gets my brain working, and I haven't really felt that way since just before Halo 3 came out. That said, I can see how you could find it odd and have it not be your cuppa tea. *shrugs*

I'm looking forward to the universe being fleshed out and expanded a little more, maybe a bit more of a solid through-line in regards to story... But I'm having heaps of fun, especially with Multiplayer being threaded in pretty seamlessly. I'd never really gotten into Halo Multiplayer, but I'm having a lot of fun with this and the co-op is everything I ever wanted in a game like this.

On another note (that reeks less of my inherent Bungie-IP-related biases), anyone feel free to add me on PS4-- "BagelHero_".
    I'm a bit shy, and as I said I'm only like... on the first Moon story missions, but I'd be more than happy to have a play. :)
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Torch wrote: »
    <<Spoiler Alert>>

Pretty handy link for end-game info, in case you're standing around the tower not sure what to do next XD

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2g22lo/about_to_hit_level_20_heres_what_to_do_next_minor/

Thats a really cool method for leveling beyond the 20 cap. Reasons growing for me to get a ps4 and this game... ah!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    and in the end they were probably named that because it sounded cool.

Yeah, I guess that really is my gripe about it all. While I can understand referring to enemies as "grunts" and "brutes", I cannot get past the impression that the Destiny bad guys are indeed given their cool badass mythical names just for the sake of it, and I feel like it is somehow at odds with them just being cannon fodder... Oh well !
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Whats the level cap ? Or is there one? Almost bought a PS4 yesterday haha
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Level cap is a soft 20, ignoring whatever mysteries the expansions may bring in that regard. Bungie insists the game really only just gets going at 20, I'm at 18 right now and inclined to believe that's more or less true. It's more about exploration and loot, then levelling up said loot than levelling your character to the nth degree. Still, 20 is pretty low and it's something to consider!
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    I borrowed a copy at work one day after release and a lot of people are max lvl in my hub so don't expect wow-levels of leveling time. :p
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Whats the level cap ?

Soft level cap is 20 but you continue leveling as you gain better gear infused with 'Light' toward end game, check ma link above bro :D
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah leveling doesn't take long, fortunately. 20 is the character level cap, but you continue up to level 30 with the stat called "Light."

Getting up to 24 isn't very hard.

Getting past 24 takes a long time.

Good luck getting past 26.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    The artist that did this room is probably ecstatic about this review.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nui9lGbZZ2U&quot;]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nui9lGbZZ2U[/ame]
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Feel like some of these reviews are just a case of reviewers banging though as quick as they can with out stopping to consider the finer points. Agree with some of the points being bought up but man I am enjoying it so much.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish this kind of crap would go away. You've got some great stuff coming up? I doubt that.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    WarrenM wrote: »
    I wish this kind of crap would go away. You've got some great stuff coming up? I doubt that.

Eh?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2 posts above mine, the review video.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Twenty-somethings love lets players so we gotta get used to them.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I know. I'm not a fan but I understand that's because I'm old...
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought it was pretty hilarious! Also the 8/10 thing is kind of a meme now. People reviewing something saying they love the hell out of it, and the final score is an 8/10 :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It feels disrespectful to the artists who work on the games. But, again, I'm old...
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He's not really talking about the art. He's talking about how he was frequently disconnecting in that area and had to run through that room repeatedly. It's a satire.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I understand it's satire and I actually did laugh at the idea, but I wish reviews were strictly serious. Still, it's not as bad as Steam reviews, I'm sure if Destiny was on PC we'd see "GAME DIDN'T LET ME SEE MY OWN DESTINY, 0/10 WOULD NOT RECOMMEND"
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    Feel like some of these reviews are just a case of reviewers banging though as quick as they can with out stopping to consider the finer points. Agree with some of the points being bought up but man I am enjoying it so much.

just out of interest, what finer points are you talking about?
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    Twenty-somethings love lets players so we gotta get used to them.

Lets players say their audience is much younger. They have time.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    That video wasn't a lets play... or a review? It was joke about disconnects.

This again, was a joke. The Joke is that he dislikes youtube lets players as much as you do ;)
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    It feels disrespectful to the artists who work on the games. But, again, I'm old...

If you can't handle video on youtube, you shouldn't be making games ;o.

If it was about me, I would just laugh at it and move on.

In anycase I'm still waiting for PC version.

Edit:

I don't know what do you have against lets players. I say it this way. If your game is more fun to watch, when someone else is playing it, you should reconsider and make movie, instead of game.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    I'd disregard anything Matt Lees says, the guy is a disingenuous and pretentious little shit. The worst of Jim Sterling in a SJW package with a mop of ginger pubic hair on his thick head.

Anyway, got the game, got a PS4 for this game and: This is pretty fun, it's gorgeous, the gameplay is solid, the art is truly astonishing and I feel I've already gotten my moneys worth.

However, the invisible walls, the death zones, the repetitive missions, the hard to follow story (why do I have to visit Bungies website to find more info?), lack of proper social features and overall a weird implementation of MMO elements make the game miss the mark a bit.

But, I'm willing to let this slide as long as they actually get on fixing it, I'm hoping to see content and patch fixes the like of Diablo 3 here, because some things are just jarring in their absence.

Also, I know, PR talk but:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9YoJjdEBv8&quot;]www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9YoJjdEBv8[/ame]

I really wanted this to be true :C

But great job so far anyway Bungie, I'll keep playing.
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    How about that destiny game! I spent about 90 minutes murdering space monsters and about 30 mins kicking a giant inflatable ball around the tower with 10 other weirdos. Until someone booted it off the tower and ended the game. :( I wanted too do that!
    I'm hoping too get together a little fire team at some point, hint hint
  • Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    Skamberin- Hit the nail on the head with this.

Snagged Destiny on launch for the ps4 and have had a good bit of fun but there are some obvious issues that hopefully get ironed out over time. Also at this point I would pay real money to just have an option to mute the player ghost (peter dinklage)...

On a super positive note there is some amazing environment art that has me grinning ear to ear with the great atmosphere.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    still waiting on my copy, cant wait to play it :D
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    You know one thing I really do like:
    random loot drops or finds are almost always specifically for your level. You can go to the starting missions and one-shot a ton of lvl 2 enemies, and the loot they drop will still be matched to your level. What a difference with Borderlands where 99.5% of the stuff you get is junk.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Yup, the strikes are a lot of fun as well, been doing about 3-4 a day, don't want to over do it :D Playing a Warlock, currently Lv 22... finally found my first legendary item and it was for the hunter class, waaaah :(

EDIT: Been grinding for light gear, just hit 24 today. We should get a PC clan/Fireteam going for the Vault of Glass raid coming up :D
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    For people who want to do strikes/vault etc. but don't have friends on all the time:

http://www.destinylfg.net/

awesome site.
  • slipsius
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    hahaha i still yet to shoot at this cave.

But that is pretty hilarious.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    while funny, i've yet to see ANY mmo that hasn't had some area like this at or shortly after launch.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    And the cave is dead hehe. Good, good!

:< I want a PC version.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, there were a lot of farming exploits patched out this morning.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Cryptarch made the final call to close down the loot cave.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    The cave was fun while it lasted I guess. I've been stuck on 25 for a week and getting the extra engrams was at least giving me more chances to level up with the Cryptarch to get good loot. I get tired of doing the same strikes over and over for nothing at all or low level blue armor.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    That cryptarch makes me want to punch babies. Legendary engram? Cool, here's a gem, or a blue weapon... bastard!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    leleuxart wrote: »
    The cave was fun while it lasted I guess. I've been stuck on 25 for a week and getting the extra engrams was at least giving me more chances to level up with the Cryptarch to get good loot. I get tired of doing the same strikes over and over for nothing at all or low level blue armor.

just making sure you know (you may already) if you upgrade any purple gear you have, (ie: if you upgrade the armour rating on a piece of legendary armour) the light stat goes up as well as the armour stat.

you can have a full set of purple armour in ~2 weeks purely through pvp (which is the quickest way of getting it). just do 50 crucible matches in a week (so like... 7 a night of the 3v3 matches because they're really fast). and if possible wear the Future War Cult piece that converts all faction progress to future war cult, which means whether you do pvp or pve you're actually just leveling one faction, it levels up in half the time.

by the end of the first week you should be almost level 2 with FWC and have 100 crucible coins. once you hit level 2, get boots chest and gloves when you can afford the third piece. helmet get the week after.

once you hit level 3 with any faction (stick with FWC for fast leveling) you get to pick a legendary weapon.

all this engram hunting is a massive waste of time if your goal is to gear up ASAP.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah really, FWC goes up quicker than regular Crucible rank? I haven't bothered because the thought of starting over another rank sounds boring, but if it goes quicker, hmmm...
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    it goes up "quicker" purely because if you went and did a strike mission or some pve bounties or whatever, all of that goes into FWC instead of vanguard.

when you wear a faction mark, you're converting every other factions experience into that faction. so on a 1:1 basis (like if you were only ever doing crucible for example) then you wouldn't notice a difference in level speed. but if you do a mix of crucible + patrol missions for example, you'd see a substantial difference in level speed.

the main reason i personally went with FWC was because of the stat split on their gear. intelligence + discipline 50/50 split as a warlock means that in sundancer spec i have 75% cooldown reduction on grenades and supercharge, combined with the double grenade passive i am a monster when supercharge is active.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Plus FWC is obviously the coolest of the three.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noway. I like Dead Orbit's black and white palette.