Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Froya's art looking for harsh critique

Replies

• Froya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froya polycounter lvl 7
    Razorb wrote: »
    For one of your first attempts at sculpting, I think you did a pretty good job, but you should get it baked down and finish up the texturing if you want more critique :)

The good thing about rocks is that they have really fast turnaround and you should be able to see yourself improve with each one, if you really push it that is.

post more post more :D!

Razorb cheers yeah i have only sculpted properly this past month or so but used mudbox before but zbrush is definitely a step up, much more complex :P and oh ok ill get on with the texturing now then.

Fair enough i will finish this then see my issues after its done so i can learn what the hell i can do with rocks because atm i am winging it to some degree xD
  • Froya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froya polycounter lvl 7
    Just finished the rock at the bottom of page 2, there was some stretching and poor sculpting i could only find once i started the maps etc. I am posting to show you a finished version of the rock previously posted. Let me know the issues i have and what i need to improve on with my next rock sculpt, cheers!
    Rocks_Polycount_02.png
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    I honestly think you should be pretty proud of that for your first ever sculpted finished asset!

Its also good to post wires and flats for some extra critique, but as it is right now, I just want to say well done!

Now do more! >:D
  • XaKu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XaKu polycounter lvl 9
    good job scott this looks awesome :)
  • Spikings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One hell of a rock there Scott :D Now do another!

Will bookmark this page and have a look from time to time, will be great to see the ongoing progress.

If you're wanting to do some basic foundational 3d work for your portfolio, then maybe throw in one or two basic manmade objects as well for good measure. Like maybe a wooden chair, or a barrel. ;)
  • Froya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froya polycounter lvl 7
    Razorb, thanks for that yeah i know what i have done wrong and i will take it onboard, gonna start my next rock now as i want to do a scene with a few rocks/cliff edge with some planks and some foliage/trees or something. Not a huge scene but enough to set a tone and to include in my portfolio. Also i will, next time, post the maps on the same image. I posted the wire frames before but i think i should have put one on with the texture also.

Thanks XaKu/Paul means a lot, big fan of your skyrim scene so i hope to do something similar soon aswell, maybe GoT inspired :P

Cheers Hannah! yeah i will do gonna do a scene like i said previously so will have trees and planks of wood etc, experimenting with different objects that are often used in games to vary my portfolio :)
  • Froya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froya polycounter lvl 7
    Posting to show my second attempt at a finished rock. I didn't encounter the same problems and i feel i am getting better at understanding the workflow and textures but i did mess up and there was a kind of symmetry down one side and a bit of stretching due to me messing up with the UV's on headus. Also this was a huge mesh consisting of too many rocks/shapes into one when i should just make one consisting of less shapes but more time on detail. Please crit and tell me if there are any other issues or worries about my latest rocks below, cheers.

Will post flats of normals and diffuse tomorrow. Tri count is 1266 is that too high?Rocks_Polycount_03.png
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    The rock itself is looking really nice; the moss (?) on the bottom less so. What tri count is "too high" obviously depends on platform and game type, but for a first/third person game on a current gen console that's easily low enough.
  • Froya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froya polycounter lvl 7
    Meloncov, thanks for the kind words. Nah there is no moss it's just the renderer lighting I tried to simulate a bit different lights as if it was in a forest or something, I will post a bit clearer image later on. And good good I'm always unsure on the polycount so cheers for that!
  • angieb1970
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    angieb1970 polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good and well done. Would like to see some moss and lichen on them too if poss.
  • Felixenfeu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixenfeu polycounter lvl 10
    If you want more feedback on your polycount, post some wireframe, post some pictures of your lowpoly without maps, look at the silhouette. Can you remove edges and vertices without breaking too much the silouhette? If yes, you have too many tris.

Looking at this one, versus what's been done in watch dog, you are pretty close, but i think you could still lower the resolution a bit mroe.
    33dcztl.jpg

AlexStroukoff_3D_RockModA.jpg

3spKkHA.jpg

I think you could remove at least 1/4 or 1/3 of it.