Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] – Venomancer – Poisoned Friends

Replies

• formic.sapien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know there's a polycount limit for dota2 items, right? What's your current count? Maybe you could split them with each side as a different item...I think they did that with some AM items maybe
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceCentipede polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks guys, for ad advices and help. I dont exactly know what to say so here is a picture with a cat. E everybody likes cats. Also working with arms and shoulders. Pictures will be a bit later today.
    image.png
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so, as i said. here is a quick scetch for arms. looks enought organic. So i like forms and its better to work with armor plates on shoulders. Egs will glow, so i think it will be interesting from backsie view. What you think guys?
    image.png
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • shanks37
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like spikes

clearly :P

i dont even have any comments anymore. it keeps looking better and better with every pass so just keep on trucking.
  • diegoleeon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great model. reminds me of the greek mythology hydras. You may wanna change the main veno's head to match the two on its back
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. I like arms too :-)
  • Molai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am just gonna start by saying this looks really good, though I am not sure if I like the eggs. First of all because he is a male and secondly because of the whole concept of eggs on him.

About the hydralisk question, if it looks too much like a hydralisk it will not be accepted for obvious reasons. (copyright) But looking at the current progress that shouldnt be a problem at all. I would also like to add that you picked one of the most support heroes in pro-games so your items will get a LOT of exposure if they get included. Keep up the good work! (And yes you get money, you get around 50% of all sales. Last polycount competition some winners earned 40k USD each in 2 weeks.)
  • Don di Tutti Capi
    congrats on being featured on the dota 2 blog!
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to you all guys, feedback is very important to me. You know, ive never played Dota or Dota 2, but i saw hidrolisk before, so if i change venomanser a lot not t looks like hydro, it will not be recogniseble like venomancer. So it must be pretty cool but not to be just zerg copy. About the eggs, i never take in mind that he is a male, ok so it will be spores with poison. When i made color research i found that glowing zones will add some variations an make character more interesting. What i really know is that there will be eggs in ward. Pack of eggs on the ground, one is cracked. Creature from the egg.
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So now i have some free time. Here is the arm with a bit upgraded first segment. Now its finished and i try to draw some scetches for the head and head grabbers, sory i dont know how they called :-( what i really know is that thy must look good separated from the head cause head is misc. Overall my 2d scills are not good enought but i think its better to draw lineart concept when i finish to sceth all the stuff.
    image.png
  • danidem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danidem polycounter lvl 11
    LOL @ the comments at the pics.

Love the eggs, the arms and the overall sticky feeling.

Can't wait to see what do you do with the wards!

Cheers!
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are many guys who make venomancer too. Hmmm its better to work harder for me to make veno better then others. Kekekekekeke good luck guys. Now i m on the hulf way to home and gonna post some scetches for head and mouth grabbers. image.png
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, here is another scetch as i said. I draw mouth grabbers, but i thought that its better to bend them a bit, so here is the results. Also i tried to draw bone plates helmet. Like it but i think ill blay with forms in zbrush. Kekeke.
    image.png
  • Okoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omfg so nice! Venomancer becoming so badaaaaassss! =D
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha thanks. If to say trully im really worry cause there are guys like BOBo and other dudes from DW and they are so cool that i cant even think about any prizes. Also other characters are better staffed. I mean you can create the whole creachure and armor set for Chen, or armor set for omnyknight, but i like this green venom dude Cause he is non humanoid and looks unusual, so i try to get some experience from this contest. thanks for criticue and advices, so now i try to sleep a bit and tomorrow start wirh ward.
  • Dreymord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I realy like this concept so far - veno always looked a little underwhelming to me, and this sets the perfect note for him.
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i had very few time today but i start to clean up concept to understand what to do in 3d, also i can see how all the elements will look together. Also on this level when i see somthing wrong i remove it or in other side add something. Now there are head and tentacles. Now tentacles have much more details then head. I remove eyes from tentacles. Also many segments of armor concentrate attention on them, and its not good. I see no way what to remove there and save interestink siloette. I think its good idea to remove glowing bubbles under tentacles head, anyway no one will see them, and move neck of the tentacles out to the back ground with color, add some detalisation on head. Thats the only and best way. Tomorrow full clean up line art concept will be. Wait for your advices. image.png
  • dArth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should make the snaky-friends look a bit separate, and a bit fused to veno IMO, as if snakes were standing on him for a long time.
    It would also be good to have some more organic fluid in their jaws :poly142:.

Very good job anyways !
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like as i said. I m really sure that i can make forms better in 3d cause i can think And feel the forms in 3d better than in 2d. Anyway i think its better to upgrade his tail, once when i finish all the venomancer i start with the ward. Sweet for the last :-) also on the concept 2d looks a bit separated from other body, but i think its cause of body is 3d shaded model, lol. I guess that tail will be like cancer have with mix of plates and spikes like sand king default has.
    image.png
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think your latest concept looks great. I much prefer the new tentacles.

Get started in 3D already, I want to see this finished!
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok. Thanks, man. I think this concept is really much better then before. So any advices or critique before i start in 3d?
  • danidem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've gotta say this is comming out bossing. As an advice, I'll tell you that maybe the spike comming out from the middle of the head to the top makes it look too similar with nyx assassin :) -> 250px-Nyx_Assassin_model.png

Keep it up!
  • dArth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's true, maybe make some spike bending toward the jaw spikes ?
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn! I never play dota and never see nyx asassin. Shit it use not to look similar. Today when return home i will draw some variants of this spike. Thats not a huge work to do but its need to be done. Great thanks Denidem! I think i will make it smaller and turn it back 180`. Anyway i m very sad to hearmit cause it was my idea and i work hard to create such design. If i found nothing better i will stay it as it now.
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or this this spike down and forward
  • danidem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well actually is kinda hard to create something 100% original without finding some similarities between other existing designs :P (I'm sure we can go post by post and we can find something similar somewhere at any game/movie/book/etc...).

Yeah, play with that spike! :P
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kekekekekee i v just mirror it vertikal for the test, so its look kool, but need to correct somewhere. Today evening will post the result. Easy and cool looking. Good to use nature and mr jack art for starcraft as references. Cant post now cause all i have now is my tablet.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    These are definitely quality items for veno, concepts looks great keep going!
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, here is some overpaint. Like the form of satan skull , but looks like bug have. When his mouth open there are two jaws but when they close they connect into one part. What you say? any character with same helmet, lol ^_^. Wait for your critique and advices. And when i will be sure that all is ok i start with 3d.
    image.png
  • danidem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I think I saw one character at somewhe... :P

Looks fantastic to me! ;)
  • KLa55icK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very bulky, I'm digging the new feel, what do you plan for the tail? Because it should weigh out the head evenly or it's going to look very top heavy.

Very nice work.
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, i also made viry dirty sculps to find some forms and know how it will sit on the head. I dont put much attenrion on the lowest jaw. So please, vote and give me know what is better. Also whant to say that its better for me to hurry up cause there are only 3 weeks left. If i will know the final idea its not take much time to make the model.
    For the tail i will use cancers tail with massive spiky armor plates. Dont forget that there are already set up bones so some elements will be scaled down. Anyway i have such feel about the arms. Cant wait for your feedback.
    image.png
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like 3, 4. I very like the big spike on pic 3 but worry about nyx assasin. Anyway characters use to be different. And maybe in spite of i like this spike it s better to avoid their similar. But as usual i d like to listen some your thougts. Also, where can i get animation presets for venomancer? I even dont know how it will move, and about the mouth grabbers, i even dont know will they be open or closed like on my last picture. On this pic here is the example of the tail reference. I think doing some moves with it will be rather cool.
    langust-gotov.jpg
  • KLa55icK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IMO, 3 looks very "tanky" and I understand what you are trying to do with your concept and that fits the best, but if you want to fit the character itself better, go with 2 because it keeps his sleek look and portrays his fluid movement. 3 gives the look of a melee fighter rather than a caster.
  • KLa55icK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On the tail subject, the lobster idea is sweet, armor it up! You could also go dinosaur with it and give it a wrecking ball type tail like an Ankylosaurus or something!
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. No one want to vote? :3
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The lobster tail is a good idea - just be careful it doesnt get too close to sand king.

On that subject, although I really like what you are doing, especially on the head, I would also be careful you dont make him look to beefy and rigid. Venomancer is kind of snake-like and agile looking, so too much armor/thick plating might weigh him down. That is actually also pretty cool, so concider ignoring what I just wrote. Just a thought :D
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i will srart to model and take as a concept pic number 2?
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I try to modify it, using big spike as shield head armor plate. Anyway i start it if you agree with me:-)
  • KLa55icK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything is sounding great man! Can't wait to see it.
  • cakeypigdog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is shaping up nicely!
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here are first results of my sculpting. Please give me know what you like or what dislike. I dont realli sure about tentacles faces. Thy look a bit stupid, huh? Try to change it while waiting for your comments.
    image.png
  • Cymen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually like them a lot. I can imagine them spreading apart when they spit and I can't wait to see their next iteration.
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    like this one much more. Its an important element so it use to be interesting. head is separate object so i will play with basic forms till i find something good. i think its not good cause plates on the head are flat. Its too boring.
    4e5cbf1c76f37a5afe1a9fa2a6a339c8.png?1351467616
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it s better to work with slime and head.
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also guys, where can i get animation and read about adding effects ro your model?
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, so i made some work with tentacles, here is the result. Tomorrow will post detailed highpoly. As usual waiting for your feedback.
    f01ba309a4f9.jpg
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yey. I was sick so i did not post anything, now im ok, so i continue with arms base forms. I decide to finish all base forms to see how the whole character wil look. I want to say thit i like his siloette of shoulders and arms. Dont shure about sike. so here i go. I hope i can finish all the highpoly to the end of this week and start retopo on holidays. I have same project at my work, so there are very small textures and no need much detalisation. Anyway if zoom out it looks like kind of noise.
    image.png
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! Here is the progress. Continue with head and tail. I dont shure that enough time for ward left, so i will finish all the stuff and then make ward. anyway i will make ward for full set later in spite it will be out of the challenge. Cant wait for your critiue and advices. :3
    image.png