Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Dota 2 Polycount Contest 'Q&A Thread'

Replies

• Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    @Danidem:

I think the only way is to learn how to get the models to run in the Test client. Then you can just delete the particle effects in the game folder.
  • danidem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danidem polycounter lvl 11
    Nannou: Yeah, that's a good solution. Now the problem is that I need to know if that's ok for Valve :<

Thanks mate!
  • Naimka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you import the stuff going on its manifold increase, although with Max she has normal size
    http://pixs.ru/showimage/problemapn_6519032_6173935.png
    http://pixs.ru/showimage/problema1p_1344074_6173937.png
    please advise the site to immediately open a picture, not a link to it
  • Naimka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Olphelia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olphelia polycounter lvl 5
    Hey, I'm a little confused when it comes to the two different types of LODs you can have. Do we have to generate two different models for one item? I've downloaded the character I'm modelling items for (Windrunner) however they only have the LOD0 items included.
  • Pierate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate polycounter lvl 15
    You have to create the LOD1 items i believe (whichever one has the lower polycount) and the other is optional since it is only used in portraits and the such.
  • Olphelia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay thanks alot :)
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Yea I have to be that guy cause I searched the forums and didn't find the post I thought was laying around but, how do we take bigger in-game images to show off???

Or are people just rendering in their Application with shaders that mimic how everything looks in the game engine? Where is that guide if this is the situation?

Thanks for any help.

Edit, new problem:
    I followed this and found out I may have done something wrong:
    http://www.cyborgmatt.com/2012/07/dota-2-sfm-tutorial/

or the in-game compiler is, mostly likely It's just me but I have an extra folder in my .zip file called (0x0610****) so my DIR structure goes:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\content\dota\models\items\doom\0x0610****\(Name of Item)\Complied files.

Only the wire frame of the Helmet shows up, no textures are attached when trying to view textured/rendered modes, can only see model in wire frame mode. =/
  • Robbiek1000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I posted my item set last night for Sniper. I looked on the workshop for my items today and they still are not showing up. (I filtered for only Sniper items.) I've checked to make sure I didn't submit them wrong or only have them visible for friends. Does it just take awhile before they show up on the workshop page? I know they are on there somewhere they just don't show up on any lists. (Such as recently added)
  • Olphelia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, another quesiton - How can we check that if one of our character's item slots supports alpha? I'm doing the Windrunner and I'm looking to have a alpha for her back.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    @Robbiek1000 Your Workshop items should be added and visible instantly; there hasn't been any new additions to the Workshop for almost a day so I'd say there's just something going on with it right now. I'd just wait for a while :)
  • Robbiek1000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info BrontoThunder!
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I'm getting an issue where it says the budget for the witchodctor shoulders is 950 tris but upon trying to import it then says the limit is 450.

EDIT: nevermind, Brontothunder pointed out my mistake: I'm a thundering dumbass and was trying to load the model int he wrong slot.
  • KICKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone have a shader in Maya to help display the different properties of the mask1 and mask2 textures?

It's a royal pain in the ass to start the game each time to make incremental changes.
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having serious technical submission issues while trying to test something in the test client. Is there a contact (or email) from valve who I can contact about the issue? (it regards the actual client, added bones, and such).
  • EduardoMC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EduardoMC polycounter lvl 5
    Are the source textures for Skeleton King correct? They are grey, when inside the game they are actually almost pure black (shoulders, gloves, feet).

For reference:

nGN2F.jpg < - - - Supplied texture

7aXlH.jpg < - - - In-game

Also, are the non-square UV items (shoulders, headpiece, etc) mapped as usual and then when finished painting, re-size them to their final ratio? Will the engine then auto-scale them?

• Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    I'm not sure if they changed the skeleton kings pallet at some point but the black is controlled by one of the mask files and apparently is intended.

Also you need to have the correct image ratio or the compiler will not accept your textures.

For example

512x512 -> 256x256 will be auto resized by the compiler
    512x512 -> 128x256 will return an error
    256x512 -> 128x256 will be auto resized by the compiler
  • EduardoMC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony wrote: »
    I'm not sure if they changed the skeleton kings pallet at some point but the black is controlled by one of the mask files and apparently is intended.

Also you need to have the correct image ratio or the compiler will not accept your textures.

For example

512x512 -> 256x256 will be auto resized by the compiler
    512x512 -> 128x256 will return an error
    256x512 -> 128x256 will be auto resized by the compiler

Sweet, thank you for your response! Can you please point out which channel in which mask controls it, though? I can't figure it out from their descriptions:

Mask1

R - Detail Mask
    G - Diffuse/Fresnel Mask
    B - Metalness
    A - Self-Illumination

Mask2

R - Spec Int
    G - Rimlight Int
    B - Tint spec by base
    A - Spec Exp
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaemirix polycounter lvl 10
    Between VALVe's Shader and Texture guides you should be able to discern everything you need.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    EduardoMC wrote: »
    Sweet, thank you for your response! Can you please point out which channel in which mask controls it, though? I can't figure it out from their descriptions:

Sure, it appears to be controlled by the metalness mask in _mask1. You can see in the image below i painted just one of the white sections on the mask black and it shows the texture at full color.

skeletonkingmasks.jpg
  • EduardoMC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perfect, thanks! I have already painted masks for another item, but I didn't think the metalness channel could have such a dramatic impact. :poly115:
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Why is it that I just can't get the same result for my sword? See my thread for more info please: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106528&page=3

I tried to get the same gold color and material, because you can't change the boots from SK. But for some reason i just can't seem to get it work correctly :s

By the way if you look at the gold which is allready on the normal sword, you can see that the gold looks quitte diffrent!
  • KICKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was a little worried too, but it's very straight forward. I imported the obj from the character folder into zbrush, sculpted and built all my pieces. Imported the finished retopo'd items into a clean scene file with the rig and then selected the joint they went to, smooth skinned to selected joint, and then exported using stock .fbx options. They imported perfectly. Paint the textures and you're good.
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin polycounter lvl 17
    I can change the mask1 and 2 textures as much as I want, but I never see an update to any changes in the model importer. Is there something I'm missing?

***edit - found the problem :)

Okay, I'm just an idiot. I had self-illumination on full :)
  • rinnzla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I accidentally named my Thread
    Barbarian Disruptor

instead of
    [Dota2] - Disruptor - Barbarian Set

Is this okay? I cant seem to edit the title.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rinnzla wrote: »
    I accidentally named my Thread
    Barbarian Disruptor

instead of
    [Dota2] - Disruptor - Barbarian Set

Is this okay? I cant seem to edit the title.

You can either keep the thread or start a new one with the title you want to stick with. That's what we all have been told.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    $!nz wrote: »
    You can either keep the thread or start a new one with the title you want to stick with. That's what we all have been told.

just edit the first post
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Regarding alphas, if a hero has alpha's enabled then are they enabled throughout every kit piece or just specific pieces?
  • hannes d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hannes d polycounter lvl 12
    what is the misc slot?
    nyx assasin has a head back misc and weapon
    if i take a look at the model and textures
    the whole back, kneepads ,shoudlerpads, and saddle are in 1 texture and fbx "armor"
    is all of this together the back?
    or is this back+misc
    and what's misc then?
  • Pina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pina polycounter lvl 5
    Hi guys,
    Anyone know of another place where to download the mask textures PDF? The version I keep downloading from Valve always ends up with the the first two pages corrupted.
    Thanks.
  • agentfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not sure if this will help as there are other places to find this information but I did a quick tutorial for skinning/binding import into DOTA2

http://agentfx.blogspot.com/2012/11/dota2-simple-riggingimporting-tutorial.html

I'm going to do a paint weights tutorial, but its kinda a pain b/c you can jump back and forth between recording Maya and DOTA2... I guess I'll have to edit. ha
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Is there a way to load in the animations at all for your character and scrub through poses? That would really help for accurate rigging.
  • Jokermax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nyx has an extra 256x256 space on his combined texture page just in case we need an additional item that clearly doesn't belong to his armor, weapon or helmet. You are welcome to use it :) We can give that slot higher poly budget too if needed

hannes d wrote: »
    what is the misc slot?
    nyx assasin has a head back misc and weapon
    if i take a look at the model and textures
    the whole back, kneepads ,shoudlerpads, and saddle are in 1 texture and fbx "armor"
    is all of this together the back?
    or is this back+misc
    and what's misc then?
  • Jokermax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Correct - all items will use hero material settings, so if there is alpha enabled you have to add non-empty alpha channel to all items color textures.
    Baj Singh wrote: »
    Regarding alphas, if a hero has alpha's enabled then are they enabled throughout every kit piece or just specific pieces?
  • Jokermax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is something we are getting sometimes too :) Empty alpha channel on mask1 is considered white by the shader thus the model becomes full bright
    Tamarin wrote: »
    I can change the mask1 and 2 textures as much as I want, but I never see an update to any changes in the model importer. Is there something I'm missing?

***edit - found the problem :)

Okay, I'm just an idiot. I had self-illumination on full :)
  • agentfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    Is there a way to load in the animations at all for your character and scrub through poses? That would really help for accurate rigging.

There is no easy way. I'm not 100% sure you get the animations when you do your own decompile of the character. I know that when you make a currier you have all the animations in the file you make but I don't know if the reverse is true when dealing with character files.
  • agentfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @bounchfx just tested the Phantom lancer for you. It comes with all the animations, but as SMD files after you extra them via this mothod
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1598304&postcount=8
    then you need 32 bit maya2012 (which I don't have) to import the SMD's to maya
    then you need to export animation from each file via something like this
    http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/animation/c/dkanim
    import and connect every animation file you want to your rigged file.... LOL so yes, doable.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got a very important question how is Valve handling the thievery of designs?
    I am sure many are curious especially with the contest going and "lurkers", lurking...

edit:
    to clarify I mention this because scouring the workshop some people within the comments complain here and their so It was sort of brought to my attention via the comments section in the workshop.
  • agentfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I read the one spear with 3 blades for the Phantom Lancer one guy complained like the thought of the 3 blade idea but his wasn't nearly finished etc. I don't know how much thievery is going on. Its hard to make something that there is nothing like it in all of existence when we're making armor and weapon items.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    I think it's not that big of a deal, it usually sorts itself out with the community's help pretty quickly.

Yesterday I saw that someone had just uploaded an image (the store image mind you) of one of my Bounty Hunter items and claimed it as their own.

I reported it and it is currently off the Workshop.

Same with the Faceless Void weapon which was ripped from Aion - the best people to police this stuff is the Dota 2 community, Valve can't be expected to check every single thing, they just take the action once it's apparent.

TL;DR - Don't worry about it.
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ingametest3.jpg

For those figuring out the textures and making LODs for the first time.

Thought I would post this, as I had questions of my own on it when I got to this point. Not sure if I did it properly. The result in-game seems to work though.

Was having an issue with the textures for a bit, because I originally squashed my UVs into the upper half of the 1-1 space. I ended up going with this method. I UV in 1-1 stretched, then squash the result for the 256x128 size.

For creating your LODs Make your high one, UV it then make your normal/ao for it. Apply this to the object in your 3D program. Then start removing verts/edges etc. The texture will give you direct feedback on if you are removing something important or not.
    NOTE - you need to use the same texture for both LOD0 and LOD1

Thought this might help, I know I wasted a bit of time today because it was my first time doing LODs. Hope it helps someone else out.

If any of this is wrong and there is a better way to do it, please let me and the rest of the community know :-)
    Cheers!
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Anyone else run into this issue at all? I've already frozen transforms and deleted history.

ImportTrouble.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @bounchfx
    agentfx wrote: »
    There is no easy way. I'm not 100% sure you get the animations when you do your own decompile of the character. I know that when you make a currier you have all the animations in the file you make but I don't know if the reverse is true when dealing with character files.

i think i can help a little on that

i messed a lot with the compiling process and i could import the animations

what you can do that will help with the deformations is trying to mimic the main body weights, i was going to create a new shoulder for the beast master and was like that
    1mix1

you dont need to match the vertices position like i did here but try to match the vertices weight with the main body vertices, at least the nearest one, depending on you model, the nearest you get your vertices from the original mesh will be better

if you make that you will be one step ahead against the deformation problem
    as the set itens are external itens it will be easier, you are doing something that need to be skinned with a lot of bones, that will be a little less easy
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    artquest wrote: »
    Anyone else run into this issue at all? I've already frozen transforms and deleted history.
    If you imported base model from FBX files, try SMD if possible instead. In my case there were also weird scaling and rotation issues after loading FBX files. I lost 2h time, and after that tried once export from SMD and everything went perfect the first time.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Konras wrote: »
    If you imported base model from FBX files, try SMD if possible instead. In my case there were also weird scaling and rotation issues after loading FBX files. I lost 2h time, and after that tried once export from SMD and everything went perfect the first time.

So after googling around I seem to only be able to find an smd exporter on valve developer community and there are several versions of it. Will the exporter import things aswell? If so what version should I get?
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Sorry I am 3DSMax user and cant help much witch Maya :/
    Hovether I have seen video tutorial linked here earlier by Qwiggalo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6_pTAxfvKwc
    There are few useful link in video description.
    Hope it will help you somehow :)
  • Pina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pina polycounter lvl 5

I might help but can you be a bit more specific? It seems like the necklace thing is bigger than it should in game right?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So after googling around I seem to only be able to find an smd exporter on valve developer community and there are several versions of it. Will the exporter import things aswell? If so what version should I get?

to decompile the models i use the StudioCompiler (just remember to create a copy of the dx90 file and rename it to dx80)

to compile i use the StudioMDL
  • Pina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pina polycounter lvl 5
    Just a quick heads up for everyone using Softimage in case you missed it.
    When using the Ultimapper to bake the normal maps, be aware that the green channel is upside down.
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Could it just be that you need to set your axis to 0,0,0? seems maybe it might just be your axis isn't correct.

I know in max I'm setting my axis to 0,0,0 then freezing my rotations/position. Seems to be working out so far.

I think the freeze in maya just resets your axis to the world axis not its position. does not actually reset the pivot to 0,0,0? could be wrong on that though, been a long time since using maya.