Home General Discussion

Wacom 22 HD!

Replies

• Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my Cintiq 12WX was similar in general screen quality as the cheapest models from Benq, Asus and the like..
    That is to say, nowhere close to the high end Dell and HP LCD´s and not remotely close to the IPS panels.

I've only had decent hands on with the first generation 21UX and I personally thought the screen was below par and I got eye strain due to small amounts of flickering and the colors were enough, but not IPS quality.

This, and the bad overall build quality which leads to magnetic interference that causes the jittering in the cursor is why I think these things are terribly overpriced in general.
    I would love to see someone like Apple push the whole design aspect of the screen based drawing tablet for the professional onwards abit.
    The Cintiq´s, even the latest ones just seem way too bulky, and tacky for the price range they are in.

But then again, if you are using them for game production work, it really does not matter that much since most of your end result will be viewed on a low to medium range LCD TV, or a low end LCD PC monitor that both give wildly fluctuating results in colors.
  • Komatsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had the 12wx and didnt like it. its brightness is 180 nit and strained my eyes alot. jitter was also an issue. now i have a second generation 21ux and brightness is not an issue. its not a bright bright monitor per say, but its an improvement and ok for my eyes. it does go up more but ive never needed it to do so. I also get 0 jitter. colors as everyone knows can still be slightly off and was improved in the 24HD. overall the second generation 21ux is light years better then the 12wx. I like the concept of the 12wx but it needs a new panel badly.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    While it is quite important for the colors to be accurate, just remember that brightness on a Cintiq has to be handled very different than what one would do on a regular monitor. A Cintiq with its brightness set to any value over 50% of its maximum intensity will likeley ... burn your eyes. So yeah, careful with that.

The ultimate tablet input device needs to be : as thin (if not thinner) than an intuos ; e-ink based ; not heating up ; and with at least twice the display and input resolution of current Cintiqs. Bring it on!!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I know this thread is about the Wacom, but after someone mentioned the Yiynova I got interested in one of them. I will never get the money to buy an Cintiq, I can't really justify it since I don't really paint. But 300€ for a little 10" tablet is pretty neat.

So I emailed them asking if they shipped to EU, and they do - from the Netherlands. I just emailed them back asking for warranty shipping and what not.

The price for a 19" tablet-screen is 549€, including shipping to Sweden. Sounds like a pretty nice deal to me.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    I know this thread is about the Wacom, but after someone mentioned the Yiynova I got interested in one of them. I will never get the money to buy an Cintiq, I can't really justify it since I don't really paint. But 300€ for a little 10" tablet is pretty neat.

So I emailed them asking if they shipped to EU, and they do - from the Netherlands. I just emailed them back asking for warranty shipping and what not.

The price for a 19" tablet-screen is 549€, including shipping to Sweden. Sounds like a pretty nice deal to me.

please be sure to write us a review!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool, so running photoshop + zbrush on the cintiq, with max and reference images on the main monitor is going to be the ideal solution?

No, that should work fine. I do that sort of thing all the time ... sculpting on the cintiq with reference on the larger monitor, and stuff like that.
  • Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the 19" Yiynova reportedly has quite a bit more jitter than the low end cintiq´s.
    The 10" Yiynova aparently is much much better.

Ray Frenden goes over these two size tablets in his blog..
    http://frenden.com/yiynova-budget-cintiq-alternative/

The videos are a good watch.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Rwolf wrote: »
    Because they can, and your willing to fork on something that lasts. I've had my Cintiq for about 4 years now, and easily paid for itself, and I don't plan on buying a new one for the next 4 years. (Although the 24HD tempted me)

Mileage may vary, I just sent my cintiq 24hd to wacom aftersale service, screen is black, tablet still working, but no display. It's been only a few months...
    On the other end, my intuos 3 is still kicking ass. You would have thought that with such a price and prestigious model the cintiq would be the last to break, think again :/
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, mileage will always vary. There's no product on the planet that hasn't broken and been a lemon for someone, somewhere. :)
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, mileage will always vary. There's no product on the planet that hasn't broken and been a lemon for someone, somewhere. :)

Yes but judging how it went on the phone, wacom may have been knowingly shipping defective products in the early days... At that price, well, I don't think I'll go for another cintiq after this one.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn. They just got done doing that with the shoddy USB connectors on the Intuous 4's. I hope this isn't a future trend starting...
  • Pixeldemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Every time I've looked into buying a Cintiq in Canada, they've been unavailable or only sold by price-gougers. Wish they had some competition, or at least sufficient production capacity.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Pixeldemon wrote: »
    Every time I've looked into buying a Cintiq in Canada, they've been unavailable or only sold by price-gougers. Wish they had some competition, or at least sufficient production capacity.

I bought mine at NCIX.
    They have a sale on the UX atm for $1920
  • Komatsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a few weeks ago everyone had 21ux-DTK for 1700. amazon, newegg, bh photo everyone. then the new 22HD was announced and they all went back to 2k. i dont understand why but it happened. paying 2k for a discontinued item is pretty crappy.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Komatsu wrote: »
    a few weeks ago everyone had 21ux-DTK for 1700. amazon, newegg, bh photo everyone. then the new 22HD was announced and they all went back to 2k. i dont understand why but it happened. paying 2k for a discontinued item is pretty crappy.

If wacom is keeping its record of defective products (usb coming lose in intuos 4, and apparently power block issues in cintiq24hd), that may not be that bad of a deal getting the older gen...
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    please be sure to write us a review!

Of course! The 10" looks really tasty!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    Of course! The 10" looks really tasty!

wow...

hahahaha!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

wow...

hahahaha!

Hahaha, you thought that was the review? :P I'm sorry to tell you it wasn't ;) Or maybe it was my poor English that got you to laugh ;)

I'm still thinking about buying one, haven't decided
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    no, it was: "the 10" looks really tasty!", in combination with my very dirty mind :D
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha, yeah now I get it. Somewhere deep down it felt dirty when I wrote it, couldn't see why though :P

Yes, I'll stop post off topic now :)
  • Thousand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thousand polycounter lvl 9
    i am using an old cintix 18sx and a slate 7, slate for couch-sketching, cintiq for more complicated work

zbrush works great on the slate; you have to get the artdock plugin (which is great!) - then you can sculpt without keyboard, as it should be.

i hope that wacom will one day realize that the digital scultping community is worth building a real sculpting/painting tablet
  • Komatsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone looking for a 22HD can get them now from wacom website. someone just got their order the other day. it seems like they have stock and its not preorder.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Or if you arent that hot on the HD screen...Newegg has the 21UX for $1699 right now...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823100066
  • Komatsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats the newegg deal that i got a few weeks ago. it was 1699 plus i got free speakers worth 79.00 that was automaticallt added to my cart. Not sure if they are still giving away the speakers but its still a decent deal i guess.

There is no returns on this item from newegg. if there was i would have returned it for the 22HD.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    sorry, i didn't read over the thread that much... so, i'll just to my question.

how is the surface quality on these? i've heard bad things about the last cyntiqs, how the surface scratches up real easy. I really want to get one, but am afraid that it'll look like my intuos 5 surface from work. :/

is anyone able to share their experience with this issue?
  • Doc holliday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doc holliday polycounter lvl 7
    Just got mine yesterday. I'm not sure if mine defective but the anti glare coating is making me rethink selling my 1st gen 21ux. The coating makes everything looks so fuzzy and grainy. Not sure wtf they were thinking. We work on these things 8 hours a day, who the hell wants to look at a screen that looks like it's covered in soot. I'm hoping i can get used to it, because they have a 16% restocking fee.
  • Komatsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got mine yesterday. I'm not sure if mine defective but the anti glare coating is making me rethink selling my 1st gen 21ux. The coating makes everything looks so fuzzy and grainy. Not sure wtf they were thinking. We work on these things 8 hours a day, who the hell wants to look at a screen that looks like it's covered in soot. I'm hoping i can get used to it, because they have a 16% restocking fee.

your lucky you got one. try to be happy. hopefully you will get used to it. any chance it pics up less fingerprints with that coating on it.

Ive heard some of the dell monitors have the heavy haze coating for the antiglare as well.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    your lucky you got one. try to be happy. hopefully you will get used to it. any chance it pics up less fingerprints with that coating on it.

Ive heard some of the dell monitors have the heavy haze coating for the antiglare as well.

i disagree with that attitude man. when you're paying that much (as much as a fucking car in some cases) for something, you should want it to be right... like, RIGHT.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It's 4 times the cost of a 1984 Pontiac Fiero that needs repairs! comparing the cost to used cars is funny.
  • Komatsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hugh wrote: »

its going to cost 3000 usd. i'll pass. 32 inches is to big of a screen imho anyway.
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    http://www.okobe.co.uk/ws/product/Wacom+Cintiq+DTK+2400+Graphics+Tablet/1000066673

Okobe is selling the 24hd (non touch) for £1760 at the moment. Still a shit ton of cash I know, but seems pretty good
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    i bought the 24 HD yesterday, Ive use the 21"cintiq since 2005 or 06, so, im familiar with theses beast. This one is great, its hugeee, i love that you can drop it down to ur lap and all that. I set up 2 desk around it, so i can easily reach my keyboard and mouse, but yeh, you really need a new office set up when you get it.

the screen still does get a bit hot tho. less then the 21" but still. Other then that its great.

I might also buy the HD touch one, well see, since they mention the heat issue is fixed, but im concern about the colors.

The good thing is that i can use my 21" as a feet heater during winter.

Also they send you memory and tissues when you buy the 24hd. That make it EVEN more worthy.

anyway. im pro cintiq all the way.

If anyone have question about this one feel free. Ill be glad to not answer ^_^
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    b1ll wrote: »
    you really need a new office set up when you get ^

Ha yea, I got mine last night (the 24hd as well), struggling for space! Do you use a keyboard whilst say, sculpting? Or have you managed to programme enough of the buttons to do without?
    First impressions is that it's a quality bit of kit, but I've only played on it for an hour or so. Going to put the time in this weekend :D
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I had a chance to play around with one at Siggraph a few days ago. Compared to my 20wsx, it looked great... the only thing that felt off was the surface. It didnt have the same feel and look as the older models, which could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your preference.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    any people who have one of these 21"+ models and can compare it to the 12" ones? i have a 12 " cintiq that i never use because i dont find it handy to work on but im not sure if its just the size of it thats bothering me
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any people who have one of these 21"+ models and can compare it to the 12" ones? i have a 12 " cintiq that i never use because i dont find it handy to work on but im not sure if its just the size of it thats bothering me

It is precisely the size and design. The 12 is fun for awhile but I cant imagine working on it seriously unless theres no other choice, would rather use a larger intuos over the 12".
  • Komatsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I had a 12wx but never used it. I couldnt get used to it either so I sold it to help fund the 21. Also the poor brightness mixed in with the size made for a very poor and ineffective second monitor when not in use. There are quite a few people who use and like the 12wx though. I know the guy from moatdd tutorials on youtube has used a 12wx forever with no plans to upgrade.

The 21ux functions great as a regular monitor. You really get the full range of motion from your shoulder when you do long sweeping lines on the 21. However lately ive been thinking either my chair is to short or my desk is to high I cant seem to get comfortable.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    However lately ive been thinking either my chair is to short or my desk is to high I cant seem to get comfortable.

Its not just you. The way the cintiq are placed, you kind of have to hunch over to get the best angle and feeling, and even then its not that good.

Its for this reason the 24hd cintiq is a big improvement, at least in that it folds down over your lap/off the desk.

The other work around is putting the 21 inch cintiq on one of those arm mounts that you can pull and rotate so its not limited to desk space.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    my Cintiq 22HD arrived today, setting it up now, will write a review later.

just on unboxing it i'm glad i went for the 22... thing is HUGE.
  • JoeCyriac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir: Awesome mate. That's the size I'd like, would be great to know what you think.
  • Glode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glode polycounter lvl 11
    Got the 22HD the other day, really loving it. I did something stupid and had it sent to my home address instead of the studio.. lugging that beast in almost killed me!

Its huge in size but its great to work with, its helped me out a lot and I've only been using it for 2 days.

UK2Pp.jpg

Its one sexy beast! but I have no room on my desk now lol
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    have been using it most of the day now... spent a good few hours setting up the quickbuttons and slider bars for various apps (zbrush and photoshop mostly). making sure the most commonly used ones were in the right place, having the slider bar (which is on the back, behind the buttons) set to brush size etc.

so once it was all set up and i started using it... wow, i don't know what i was doing in my life before now. it feels SO much smoother than having an intuos or whatever you already use, and looking up at a separate screen. this just feels so NATURAL.

that said, my desk is about the same size as Glodes, and i'm glad i'm getting a new one when i've moved house. i was already planning on getting a corner/"L-shaped" desk when i moved, and this has really driven it home that i HAVE to get one. it's just not comfortable having this thing hovering over my mouse, with a monitor and keyboard next to it. it feels really cramped.

once that issue is gone though i think it'll be fantastic.

my current issues at the moment though, are:
    1. zbrush only opens up on the main monitor, not the cintiq. photoshop opens on the cintiq every time, but zbrush refuses to do it.
    2. the colour profile on the cintiq is terrible (out of the box) and needed a lot of adjusting to get it close to my Dell u2312hm. it's making me lean towards getting a spyder to get them both configured properly, but just like other people mentioned in the calibration thread... can't justify spending that much on something i'll use once or twice.
    3. the anti-glare coating seems to hinder more than help. it's too glossy, i get far more reflection from other light sources than i do on my dell monitor.

that said, the colours (once calibrated) are fantastic, and the viewing angle is pretty good too, but i'd expect that from an h-ips screen.

so yeah, if you're on the fence about it... i'd say take the plunge. i don't think i can go from this back to a "regular" tablet (which now feels irregular).
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    b1ll wrote: »

If anyone have question about this one feel free. Ill be glad to not answer ^_^

Could you not tell me what you think about the anti-glare coating that Doc Holliday was talking about? I've got a 21ux and I'm thinking of upgrading.
  • Nakkor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could you not tell me what you think about the anti-glare coating that Doc Holliday was talking about? I've got a 21ux and I'm thinking of upgrading.
    I totally agree with Doc (read on).

I own the 21UX (DTK-2100 a.k.a. v2 / 2010) and bought the 22HD to replace it, but I was utterly disappointed when I started it up. The anti glare coating is horribly obtrusive! It's like looking through a coating of diamond dust, i.e. sparkles everywhere. Even after only minutes of use I begin to feel eye strain. Also the colours out of the box were really bad on my Macbook Pro and only a little better on my PC workstation, luckily I have friends with calibration devices so that would possibly be easily(?) remedied.

I think it's really sad that Wacom has decided to put such an aggressive AG coating (that strangely enough does not help a whole lot against glare) on the 22HD, and I really hope they release a DTK-2200B model w/o the AG, or at least with the same less obtrusive coating that's on the 21UX (2010).
    If there was some cheap and simple way to replace the glass surface without voiding the warranty, then I would probably keep the 22HD (if correctly colour calibrated), because I like the new easier-to-press expresskeys, the three info/settings buttons at the top right. The satin finish on the bezel/frame is also a nice touch, though not a very crucial factor.

Also, I think it will be very interesting to see how the alternative(s?) from ViewSonic will perform! Will be keeping a close eye on that one. I really do hope they can give Wacom some serious competition!!

Bottom line:

The AG coating makes the 22HD close to useless IMO, so I'm returning it to Wacom and keeping my 21UX.
    .allblock_box_v1{border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-color:#ff5500;}
  • blitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blitz polycounter lvl 17
    not a lot to add, just like to tell i got my few weeks ago and i am in love.
    The 22 is to heavy for the ergotron arm, but i use it anyway, this way i got many different position to work and its great!

DESK2.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    where can i get one of those ergatron arms?
  • blitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blitz polycounter lvl 17
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    ah cool, thanks man.

i'm wondering if there's a type of stand for the 22hd that the 24 has. you know where it hooks over the edge of the desk?
  • Komatsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nakkor wrote: »
    I totally agree with Doc (read on).

I own the 21UX (DTK-2100 a.k.a. v2 / 2010) and bought the 22HD to replace it, but I was utterly disappointed when I started it up. The anti glare coating is horribly obtrusive! It's like looking through a coating of diamond dust, i.e. sparkles everywhere. Even after only minutes of use I begin to feel eye strain. Also the colours out of the box were really bad on my Macbook Pro and only a little better on my PC workstation, luckily I have friends with calibration devices so that would possibly be easily(?) remedied.

I think it's really sad that Wacom has decided to put such an aggressive AG coating (that strangely enough does not help a whole lot against glare) on the 22HD, and I really hope they release a DTK-2200B model w/o the AG, or at least with the same less obtrusive coating that's on the 21UX (2010).
    If there was some cheap and simple way to replace the glass surface without voiding the warranty, then I would probably keep the 22HD (if correctly colour calibrated), because I like the new easier-to-press expresskeys, the three info/settings buttons at the top right. The satin finish on the bezel/frame is also a nice touch, though not a very crucial factor.

Also, I think it will be very interesting to see how the alternative(s?) from ViewSonic will perform! Will be keeping a close eye on that one. I really do hope they can give Wacom some serious competition!!

Bottom line:

The AG coating makes the 22HD close to useless IMO, so I'm returning it to Wacom and keeping my 21UX.
    .allblock_box_v1{border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-color:#ff5500;}

if the antiglare coating is that bad maybe I dont feel so bad about getting the second generation 21ux then having it discontinued 3 weeks later. there is no glare or sparkle or anything on this model. Given what you said about the glare I think I will pass on the newer model.

You should try changing the light position around and such to see if it helps though before returning it.
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    My girlfriend got a Dell laptop with that horrible AG coating and I must say, I personally wouldn't want to buy anything with it. It's absolutely horrible. It has to be seen to be believed. I really don't understand why manufacturers add it... are they blind? Are they delusional? As for the 22HD specifically, I'm not sure how bad it is. But would highly recommend if your spending thousands of pounds/dollars you try it before you buy. Major purchase killer for me personally.