Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaemirix wrote: »
    You can check your feed and compare it to the number of total votes.
    On your feed it should say "X amount of people liked this", where as on your submitting it'll say a certain number of stars with Y amount of votes.
    Just X/Y

sorry for being a retard, but i dont have this 'feed'. is it somewhere in the same page, cause i dont have it there...
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Lennyagony wrote: »
    Just wanted to 2nd this, worked for me as well. good times :)
    Pay day is the best day :D
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, since it was none of the above answers (no clipping, all aligned), I'm just gonna repair it by hand. It's going to be a little rough, but at least I can move on. For reference, Top half is original map, Bottom has a few changes to make it look like it was supposed to.
    7oI5jSG.jpg
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    sorry for being a retard, but i dont have this 'feed'. is it somewhere in the same page, cause i dont have it there...

right here (from the workshop front page) righthere_zps03fcc233.jpg
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Thanks penOr,

Im getting this error with new and old previously working items.

importerror.jpg

I'm getting the same error. Argh. I hope they fix it ASAP. Can't load anything.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx for the tips Tvidotto and Vlad i'll work in it some more!

The itemtester is broken for me in the test client but not in the beta. Hope they wont update the main so we can use that one until they fix it.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Starcofski wrote: »
    Ok, since it was none of the above answers (no clipping, all aligned), I'm just gonna repair it by hand. It's going to be a little rough, but at least I can move on. For reference, Top half is original map, Bottom has a few changes to make it look like it was supposed to.
    You do realize how color is formed through 3 channels do you?
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Almost finished the high poly mask I'm making for my witchdoctor set, what do you guys think?

1TszIQ0.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    Almost finished the high poly mask I'm making for my witchdoctor set, what do you guys think?

1TszIQ0.jpg

looks awesome! cant wait for the colors
  • marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    7oI5jSG.jpg

Is this a high poly bake? It looks like a low poly to low poly bake to me :S
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks penOr,

Im getting this error with new and old previously working items.

importerror.jpg

Is this a recurring problem for everybody at the moment ?
    I cant seem to get my items imported either.
  • chaosblade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ye, looks the importer is broken. Put something in fine last night, and this morning when i tried to update it it gave that exact error. Hope they fix it soon
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    I've been tracking that website for months, they numbers posted are very inaccurate. Based on my research I'd say that number is roughly ~30% of that actual amount in the game.

Still a great site though.

This month income was actually almost 30% less than that site, or the share from the keys are not 25% as people have stated. I wish Valve could clearify how the revenue from chests are shared.
  • marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    Nannou wrote: »
    This month income was actually almost 30% less than that site, or the share from the keys are not 25% as people have stated. I wish Valve could clearify how the revenue from chests are shared.

So even you don't know how it works? I was curious about that issue but didn't ask. Now that you brought it up, I think it's supposed to work like this; the income from one chest must be equally shared among the items regardless of their rarity. Your sword is rare (or was it mythical?) and if they are only paying the royalty for the item that comes out of the chest it's really unfair. You make the best item in the chest and you get the least money out of it? People are buying those keys because of the rare items, not commons. I think you guys must talk to valve about this and demand a clarification.
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    this was for the uncommon pudge hook. Your reason sounds logical though, else people would just make commons for better drop rate and more money.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    I am working and learning still on the tidehunter weapon i modeled. Thing is, Textures really make it hard on me. On the one hand.. i slowly get a hold of the shadermasks but on the other hand I really dont know why my textures come out alot darker and less colorful than they really are.

here are 3 different color and normalmap textures all with the same shaders

reefbasher-testcompile_texture.png

reefbasher-testcompile_texture2.png

reefbasher-testcompile_texture3.png

and the last one ingame:

reefbasher-testcompile_texture3_ingame.png

suggestions? advice? critics?
  • marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    That weapon looks really nice in game. You look like you're having trouble with seams though. It would be better if you laid out your uvw map symmetrically but if you're interested in fixing them take a look at this tutorial, it's very helpful:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/130217/completely_eliminate_texture_seams_.php
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    marul wrote: »
    So even you don't know how it works? I was curious about that issue but didn't ask. Now that you brought it up, I think it's supposed to work like this; the income from one chest must be equally shared among the items regardless of their rarity. Your sword is rare (or was it mythical?) and if they are only paying the royalty for the item that comes out of the chest it's really unfair. You make the best item in the chest and you get the least money out of it? People are buying those keys because of the rare items, not commons. I think you guys must talk to valve about this and demand a clarification.

I've been speaking to Angie Teetzel in the financial department at valve the last few days to find out how much each of my items has been earning individually. I also just sent an email asking if they could explain how the revenue sharing works from the chest addressing pretty much everything you've mentioned. Hopefully I'll get a response soon. :thumbup:
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx :)

the uvs are all symmetrical, had that figured out pretty early through the process. but maybe the uv layout aint that superior. I tried to have the main planes laid out pretty simple through the fact that these are usually the sides you look at in the loadout. I have 380ish tris in the weapon, 400 would be lod1 budget. havent done a lod0 with 600 tris though cause i dont think its necessarily needed but I am open to just add some tris to make the model aswell as the texture appear more appealing in loadout screen.

here are the uvs for the project:
    Reefbasher_Tidehunter_UV.png

I'll check out the tutorial in detail for sure though. thx
  • Frummi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Coye
    I don't know but maybe it is too big what makes it look clumsy

Two questions regarding my model in blender:
    Is there any way to simply see where your face's front and back are positioned? I am having trouble with transparent parts of the model.

What is the easiest way to position my weapon properly? I tried to manually adjust it to the same angle as the default sword but that is really hard because the default sword has a pretty odd placement.

Anyways, my progress for the sword:
    (I haven't done the masks yet so the edges look pretty stupid.)
    s7tHBGz.png
    UlbWo5a.png
    RcXGGzM.png

It was already exhausting to get to this point but I definately have still a lot of work to do.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its pretty much the same size as the original anchor, so thats propably not gonna be the issue.

with your transparent problem: when in blender and in doubt where you faces point, go into edit mode, select all by pressing A and on the left side (usually) there is a button that says: recalculate normals - i think you can press alt + n aswell but i am not sure about the hotkey though. that will make em face the right side, usually ^^
  • marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    Coyo.Te wrote: »
    Thx :)

the uvs are all symmetrical, had that figured out pretty early through the process. but maybe the uv layout aint that superior. I tried to have the main planes laid out pretty simple through the fact that these are usually the sides you look at in the loadout. I have 380ish tris in the weapon, 400 would be lod1 budget. havent done a lod0 with 600 tris though cause i dont think its necessarily needed but I am open to just add some tris to make the model aswell as the texture appear more appealing in loadout screen.

here are the uvs for the project:
    Reefbasher_Tidehunter_UV.png

I'll check out the tutorial in detail for sure though. thx

In that case, it would be better if you created a more complex model for lod0 and remap your uvw's, then remove some of those vertices and create the lod1. You can use the extra vertices in the curved areas, they are really lacking smoothness right now. Just consider which vertices you will be removing along the process so that you don't destroy seams (it's still ok if they are in line in the layout).
  • Frummi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te wrote: »
    Its pretty much the same size as the original anchor, so thats propably not gonna be the issue.

with your transparent problem: when in blender and in doubt where you faces point, go into edit mode, select all by pressing A and on the left side (usually) there is a button that says: recalculate normals - i think you can press alt + n aswell but i am not sure about the hotkey though. that will make em face the right side, usually ^^

Thanks so much! I was trying to flip the faces one by one :poly122:
    Why haven't I asked earlier :poly127:
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, i might try out a bit more with texturing, really going overboard with my tries atm ^^ but after that I think a have to do a lod0 600tris budget version, which I'll be using for the loadout detail screen. Back to the vertices so it is.

reefbasher-testcompile_texture4.png

^^ killing seals with this i guess ^^ or kunkka
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this a high poly bake? It looks like a low poly to low poly bake to me :S

Its LOD0 to LOD1. Without Zbrush/Mudbox, doing an ultra-high isn't a very good idea yet (with my skill level).

@Vlad; Yes, I understand the 3 channels. What I don't understand is how it paints those three channels when rendering/baking the texture.
  • Zaubereis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 wrote: »

1TszIQ0.jpg

I love the mask! And the dangling head. Definitely my favorite parts. Looking great so far.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    For those of you having compiling issues, I've figured a way around it (sorta? they still need to fix this though)
    Fixes:
    1. Export as a .smd instead of a .fbx. I couldn't load any of my FBX's last night, so try an SMD.
    2. If that doesn't work, try naming it something else. Seriously, this has caused me the most random skinning problems and even cancelled compiles.
    3. Try a combination of both!
    And if none of these work, well then it's time to email the Dota team.
    2alCC
  • Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    right here (from the workshop front page) righthere_zps03fcc233.jpg

i found nothing in my friends tab.

Does anyone know where are the votes/likes to my item ?

because there used to be this really neat bar showing percentage of likes/dislikes but i dont have it anymore
  • Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok guys, dota 2 workshop quiz of the week :

1-Can we incorporate particle effects with our items ?
    2-after i re-import an already submitted item, the next time i re-import it demands a .zip file instead of smd/fbx/tga. What is this .zip file ?
    3- My resolution is low, so when i use scrrenshots from the ingame importer, they look VER VERY CHOPPY. is the solution just a better monitor or is there a way u guys take renders directly ?
    4- does alien swarm sdk support mask files for 100% dota simulation ?
    5- HOW THE ... DO SOME GUYS GET CG QUALITY REPRESANTATION IMAGES FROM THEIR ITEMS WITH ALL THE MASK EFFECTS AND STUFF ?

ok thats it. each question is worth 10 points for a total of 60 points. good luck guys !
  • RoqueDemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon polycounter lvl 6
    ok guys, dota 2 workshop quiz of the week :

1-Can we incorporate particle effects with our items ?
    2-after i re-import an already submitted item, the next time i re-import it demands a .zip file instead of smd/fbx/tga. What is this .zip file ?
    3- My resolution is low, so when i use scrrenshots from the ingame importer, they look VER VERY CHOPPY. is the solution just a better monitor or is there a way u guys take renders directly ?
    4- does alien swarm sdk support mask files for 100% dota simulation ?
    5- HOW THE ... DO SOME GUYS GET CG QUALITY REPRESANTATION IMAGES FROM THEIR ITEMS WITH ALL THE MASK EFFECTS AND STUFF ?

ok thats it. each question is worth 10 points for a total of 60 points. good luck guys !
    Got answers for a few
    1- No. Valve's the one that has to do it for now.
    3- Go to your options and increase the resolution. Changing your monitor will do nothing.
    5- There are a few custom shaders in these forums that are used for the renders. There's also a healthy dose of editing in most.
  • marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    Its LOD0 to LOD1. Without Zbrush/Mudbox, doing an ultra-high isn't a very good idea yet (with my skill level).

@Vlad; Yes, I understand the 3 channels. What I don't understand is how it paints those three channels when rendering/baking the texture.

Why would you bake lod0 to lod1? Can't you at least use some modifiers such as turbosmooth/nurbs etc. so that you get an automatic high poly model? It wouldn't be great since you won't be able to sculpt much detail but it would be much better than this.

Btw painting normal maps is not a good idea, you will most probably mess it up.
  • Deans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dota 2 models aren't very high poly, it doesn't seem like too much trouble to me to just manually simplify certain areas. I'm new though so what do I know :)

On another subject, I had some neat ideas for Lich but I just found out his messed up base textures will make things a lot more complicated than they should be/outright impossible. Anyone else feel that profound disappointment?
  • Asi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asi
    Why would you bake lod0 to lod1? Can't you at least use some modifiers such as turbosmooth/nurbs etc. so that you get an automatic high poly model? It wouldn't be great since you won't be able to sculpt much detail but it would be much better than this.

Btw painting normal maps is not a good idea, you will most probably mess it up.

Well for normal maps use nVidia filter https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop
  • Zaubereis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So...as per suggestion on the reddit forums, I pushed QoP's wing design more. Is it too much? I'm not sure the colors work. I also feel like I need to push the dagger design more now too.

N0Yyedy.jpg
  • vikk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    BenHenry wrote: »
    For those of you having compiling issues, I've figured a way around it (sorta? they still need to fix this though)
    Fixes:
    1. Export as a .smd instead of a .fbx. I couldn't load any of my FBX's last night, so try an SMD.
    2. If that doesn't work, try naming it something else. Seriously, this has caused me the most random skinning problems and even cancelled compiles.
    2alCC

/\ THIS.

I still can't upload anything today (yesterday was normal..I could import fbx any time I want), but not today.

I didn't tried the .SMD instead of .FBX, because I'm having troubles installing the plugins to export it.

But well, I'll keep looking forward to this.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah I have the same issue vikk0. Really bummed. I just got my first weapon ready to upload. Oh well. Time to wait.
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried to import a smd file and it seems to work. Didn't submit anything yet so i'm not sure though. I'll let you know once it's time to submit my item :)
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    BenHenry wrote: »
    Fixes:

Legend, .smd does the job!

Deans - the workshop requirements page version of Lich is out dated, extract a version from the game, his base textures are much improved.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legend, .smd does the job!

Deans - the workshop requirements page version of Lich is out dated, extract a version from the game, his base textures are much improved.

So the workshop is currently broken and can't except .fbx, wonderful. Hopefully they get that fixed soon.
  • Deans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

That's good to know! I still might need to make a new skin for his back to cover up those big spike holes, though.

Zaubereis those wings are really eye-catching, I think that can only be a good thing.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9

Hope Helenek get us some clarification, but if what you get from a chest is not equal among everyone the best thing to do is "make a good item but not good enough to be rare or mythical =]"
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    Hope Helenek get us some clarification, but if what you get from a chest is not equal among everyone the best thing to do is "make a good item but not good enough to be rare or mythical =]"

Don't hope, the person I was talking to says they didn't know, I emailed her again asking if she could forward it to someone who did know to clarify it. I'm not getting my hopes up for a response. :(
  • I-ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    Does anyone know how to make spec maps? I really want to finish my am set (already made low-poly)
    characterstrip.jpg
  • Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Does anyone know where are the votes/likes to my item ?

because there used to be this really neat bar showing percentage of likes/dislikes but i dont have it anymore

anyone ?
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Gamer, try clicking on the Community tab, and then on the friends sub-tab? Any workshop items posted by you or friends will have the number of upvotes underneath it.
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    Tvidotto wrote: »

As far as I know (I read an email from a valve employee on Facepunch), the share from the chest is equal to everyone, regardless if it is uncommon, rare or mythical.

EDIT: Well...
    fzRL5.jpg
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz wrote: »
    As far as I know (I read an email from a valve employee on Facepunch), the share from the chest is equal to everyone, regardless if it is uncommon, rare or mythical.

EDIT: Well...
    fzRL5.jpg

What does that mean exactly? The way I read it was that the value of the key is split equally between everyone in the chest and you receive payment regardless if your item was unboxed. Am I correct?
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    Yes, I read that way too
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    That's what it sounds like.
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Man, I wish Valve didn't keep the aura of "we won't say anything unless you ask, but we'll say the barest minimum if you do" when it comes to contributor financials. I hope they can improve that with time.