Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Junglehermit - cheers for the solution :)

HntrLuc - seriously kick ass, maybe a little bit big but SK's generic wep is pretty damm huge too.

OrganizedChaos - fuck yes love the fruitbat, a bogan batrider would be pretty hilarious.

BenHenry - nice, looks like the detail would read really well in game.

Paskie - nice work on finishing up the mount!

Frump - i like it mate, subtle but good.

Andyk - Looking great AndyK,

And managed to get all my Lods, UV's and Bakes done! tomorrow skinweights and at least some base colours.

lennyagony_lich09.jpg
  • Asi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asi
    Paskie wrote: »
    Jesus! Great stuff everyone and glad to some more people doing stuff for the workshop! Grats to all those who got some items in also!

First mount i ever make and yes i like to clutter up my promoscreens with tacky brushes ;) Did not think i would make the deadline on the february comp but just in time. Link to submission http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=129975625

6BA907576D48A84A875005AB9B13BC822904CF57
    Nice, its looking good
    I have my mount finished just need texture
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    LennyAgony: Thanks, and I'm really digging that new look for Lich!

This was completely unintentional, actually
    wfnCJrD.jpg

edit:
    Some people on Reddit pointed out that I fucked up the hairline, very very helpful folks.
    jFztPqG.jpg
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaemirix polycounter lvl 10
    Frump, all I can think of is Animal Crossing.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    I dont see no difference. :(
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te wrote: »
    I dont see no difference. :(

5CRaAB9.png

Hairline is more circular
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    xD ah ok.. now i see it. haha sry.. i was checking the OUTline for difference and didnt really take a look at that
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You'll hate me for that, but here i go. So, i guess nobody told you that your values are kinda too bright all the way. Model seriously lack topdown darkening (partly because it makes sense for white animal to be dirty at the bottom)
    Check out the original mount to know what i mean:
    miranamount1.jpg
    Also, as you can see that your mount is turning plain white, also the patches of even brighter fur don't help. It needs more details, like more defined muscles, darker claws and maybe some dark tips on the fur patches.
    Check out this unfinished snow leopard courier by Valve, to see how they work with white on white:
    miranamount2.jpg

The white is never white, but rather grey. Also, there's some blue color bleeding from the patches

No man, why would i hate you for giving me critique? I really appreciate it! I actually have a gradient on it but it's as you said i need of a bumping up those values, it's on 70% now. Thanks for pointing that out, i'll do some more adjusting on the texture an post some screens. The original idea was a snow leopard but the dark fur patches looked like crap so i went for the mythic icy theme instead. I'll tone town the lightgray on the texture to a darker one. Thx Vlad!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Sweet they updated the tf.stats page to have all the pictures and stuff back again!
    http://dota2.stats.tf/cat/wearables
  • Zaubereis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, my first attempt at creating items for Dota, or any game for that matter. Any and ALL feedback welcome. Conceptualizing for both Lich and QoP at the moment, not sure which one I'll work on first, I suppose it depends on feedback. Or, if they're both really bad I'll try something different. Also, as I'm terrible at visualizing 3D things in 2D I didn't redraw the QoP wings in other perspectives, and the Lich chains I was just lazy, but plan on having them in but maybe making them thinner chains to match the rest of my concept. I hope I'm on the right track.

TEzKa3O.jpg

6nJJ2Ia.jpg
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Sweet they updated the tf.stats page to have all the pictures and stuff back again!
    http://dota2.stats.tf/cat/wearables

I've been tracking that website for months, they numbers posted are very inaccurate. Based on my research I'd say that number is roughly ~30% of that actual amount in the game.

Still a great site though.
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been tracking that website for months, they numbers posted are very inaccurate. Based on my research I'd say that number is roughly ~30% of that actual amount in the game.

Well that would make sense seeing as only 1/3 of the backpacks are public. Assuming that the private backpacks contain about as much as what's in the public ones you're looking at ~2.6x as many items as shown on the website.
  • oDD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    I'm stuck on some very basic stuff :/

error.jpg

I'm working on a ward(my first animated model) and i don't know how to properly export to an FBX. I've created this quick rig and basic animation and I can't export it to dota.

leg_rig.jpg

Can someone help me or point me in the right direction. The test file I'm trying to export: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31340178/02_export_test.max
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD wrote: »
    I'm stuck on some very basic stuff :/

error.jpg

I'm working on a ward(my first animated model) and i don't know how to properly export to an FBX. I've created this quick rig and basic animation and I can't export it to dota.

leg_rig.jpg

Can someone help me or point me in the right direction. The test file I'm trying to export: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31340178/02_export_test.max

For the animations you export the joints and nothing else as an fbx. For the LODs you export just the models and nothing else. Let me know if you have any problems.
  • Deans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey dudes, check out this sorely needed Juggernaut sword I made!

5uooxuw.jpg

I've been fiddling with 3D-Coat for a couple weeks and I think I've got the basics down; I'm having trouble with the mask1 and mask2 files, though. Whatever I'm doing isn't working.

I'd really appreciate a basic tutorial on how to properly convert the masks into RGB and Alpha channels and combine them using photoshop!

Zaubereis I'm liking that Lich outfit. The back spikes and chain seem pretty close to the original, though. It doesn't hurt to mix things up!
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the kind words guys! It's not too much bigger than the default sword actually, but I might consider shrinking it down a bit.

There's a bunch of Sven swords and some other weapons that seem to be equally larger than their originals though, so it didn't seem too out of place.

Thanks for the crits, i'll test the sizes out in a few days with fresh eyes.
  • Zaubereis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deans wrote: »

Zaubereis I'm liking that Lich outfit. The back spikes and chain seem pretty close to the original, though. It doesn't hurt to mix things up!

Thanks for your feedback. I'm a little afraid to go too crazy on my first set because I don't know exactly what Valve would be cool with being changed on Lich since there haven't been any sets for him implemented yet. However if I continue to get feedback then I will push it some more and will be told to tone it down if I go too far. :)

I like your Jugg sword design, but I think maybe the orange is too saturated/shiny to fit his style? Hard to tell without looking at it right next to his model. I think adding a few more details to the silhouette might be nice too but I am just a beginner so take what I say with a grain of salt. :)
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaubereis wrote: »
    Thanks for your feedback. I'm a little afraid to go too crazy on my first set because I don't know exactly what Valve would be cool with being changed on Lich since there haven't been any sets for him implemented yet. However if I continue to get feedback then I will push it some more and will be told to tone it down if I go too far. :)

I like your Jugg sword design, but I think maybe the orange is too saturated/shiny to fit his style? Hard to tell without looking at it right next to his model. I think adding a few more details to the silhouette might be nice too but I am just a beginner so take what I say with a grain of salt. :)

The reason there's no sets is because no one has made any items for him yet!
    No joke.

PX0Soew.png
  • oDD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    AndrewHelenek: thanks for such a quick reply!

progress.jpg

Progress!! :P i can continue to work on it now
  • Zaubereis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaemirix wrote: »
    The reason there's no sets is because no one has made any items for him yet!
    No joke.

Yes! That is part of the appeal, and plus I love playing Lich. My problem is that since I've never made any items it's hard for me to know what's okay to do to this hero. XD I will try and push the design some more.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD wrote: »
    AndrewHelenek: thanks for such a quick reply!

progress.jpg

Progress!! :P i can continue to work on it now

haha, at least its working in game now, even if it does look kinda broken right now.
  • Moosebish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moosebish polycounter lvl 12
    I've been working on a small asset for Tide Hunter. I know he already has an asset that is a shark corpse on his head.. I hope mine is different enough..

Here's a shot from inside maya.

qtj0EOt.jpg
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Vlad, tried to do some adjusting. Better or worse? :)
    B57C9F8F1DC8DC39332E49AB90FBB2C3C6B22139
  • Frosty40
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frosty40 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey there,

I am working very hard to improve my skills. I will post my latest Dota2 set here. I have the mindset to work until I find success. Obviously I have some improving to do, but i would really appreciate some feedback on how i can get better renders of my work.

0t9rHVy.jpg
    wAYK8JN.jpg
    i8GsWN4.jpg
    j2MjodZ.jpg
    gE4IE12.jpg
    4N5w0PH.jpg

Video of set in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2vOvp67iYY

You can vote on the set here: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=129826270

Also, I have 2 other sets pretty much finished, but i am working on other stuff, If a texture/render artist wants to help me finalize then I will share a % of profits. They are for QOP and ES. All the items are alrady finished. I just need to take good renders, and touch ups. I am just super busy with trying to develop esports media at the same time.

If anybody wants to collaborate on anything I would love to talk. I do everything solo right now and am a much faster modeler than i am texture artist. Thanks for your time!
  • Deans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deans wrote: »
    I'd really appreciate a basic tutorial on how to properly convert the masks into RGB and Alpha channels and combine them using photoshop!

Disregard that, I figured it out! Turns out my crappy old photoshop elements is really limited when it comes to alpha channels, so I just have to use Gimp instead.

Totally agree with you about modelling and texturing, Frosty. Texturing is a lot harder than it looks!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9

i can say the same as helenek, based on some info i can say that this site shows less then 40% of the real number

B57C9F8F1DC8DC39332E49AB90FBB2C3C6B22139

Hey paskie

try to work with values and saturation

see this one
    eL6iuSe.jpg

can you see how the middle of the body and the head have more saturation and less black on the mix? that helps you to focus on the hairy chest and the head

a good way to make a gradient map is to use zbrush, load your lowpoly there, subdivide some times and use the zaplink to send to photoshop. then add a gradient and export the map

you can use to darken the botton parts and as mask to the hue saturation effect
    Frosty40 wrote: »
    Hey there,

I am working very hard to improve my skills. I will post my latest Dota2 set here. I have the mindset to work until I find success. Obviously I have some improving to do, but i would really appreciate some feedback on how i can get better renders of my work.

0t9rHVy.jpg

Video of set in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2vOvp67iYY

You can vote on the set here: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=129826270

i like to suggest some things

that washed background is not adding to your presentation, try something more muted like a "graysh" color

try to follow some guides when placing the images, how is now its like you placed them ramdomlly
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Reworked my weapon for Skeleton King instead of Riki (thanks again for the advice on that guys). Dropped in into the workshop viewer thing just to test it out. Everything seemed to work fine. Just need to texture it now. Keeping the color palette similar to the characters base colors.

sword_tree_003.jpg
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    o0zBNuy.png
    working on adding in some hair
  • Zaubereis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o0zBNuy.png
    working on adding in some hair

I hope you are also planning on adding some hair underneath the hood along the sides of her face? I think that would look really nice.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reworked my weapon for Skeleton King instead of Riki (thanks again for the advice on that guys). Dropped in into the workshop viewer thing just to test it out. Everything seemed to work fine. Just need to texture it now. Keeping the color palette similar to the characters base colors.

as this one is more round than a regular sword i think you could make it a little bigger to compensate it and get more or less the same "volume" in game

i dont know a better world then volume, like it could require more pixels in the game screen =] (makes sense?)

---

hey guys, a little more updated version of the courier im doing with Timex based on our Lone Druid set

for now we are focusing on making it related to the panda but different enough to be quickly recognized as a courier and not the spirit bear

d9a2f7a781
  • Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guys , there used to be this very depressing percentage of votes display for submitted items. I cant see it now ! have they removed it or is it my browsers ?
  • penOr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    Is anyone else getting import errors on items that have previously worked? Lenny was reporting the same issue, maybe the latest patch has messed something up.
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can check your feed and compare it to the number of total votes.
    On your feed it should say "X amount of people liked this", where as on your submitting it'll say a certain number of stars with Y amount of votes.
    Just X/Y
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr wrote: »
    Is anyone else getting import errors on items that have previously worked? Lenny was reporting the same issue, maybe the latest patch has messed something up.

reporting the same thing here.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaemirix wrote: »
    You can check your feed and compare it to the number of total votes.
    On your feed it should say "X amount of people liked this", where as on your submitting it'll say a certain number of stars with Y amount of votes.
    Just X/Y

you need to compare these 2

2a6Au
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reporting the same thing here.

i just updated the snowl courier and it worked fine, but was before the update today

was the update??
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    i just updated the snowl courier and it worked fine, but was before the update today

was the update??

try uploading it again, see if you get an error.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Wow... had no idea about that feed thing.

Thanks for the tip.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr wrote: »

Thanks penOr,

Im getting this error with new and old previously working items.

importerror.jpg
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Better, you can see it yourself. I still think that you picked wrong blue hues. Let me do a quick paintover later
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I'm having difficulty with my normals maps. Does anyone have any idea what causes these weird color lines (middle-left)? I cant seem to get rid of them
    oWCll3D.png
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    you need to compare these 2

i found this a few months ago and now i check my ratings every 5 minutes :C
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starcofski wrote: »
    Ok, so I'm having difficulty with my normals maps. Does anyone have any idea what causes these weird color lines (middle-left)? I cant seem to get rid of them

Looks like edge padding?
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony wrote: »
    Looks like edge padding?

No, not those lines; the oddly colored ones inside. The yellow and Red. The edge padding isn't causing/effecting those at all (tested for 0 to 25).
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok i think i know which ones your talking about, could be where you have geometry intersecting?
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony wrote: »
    Ok i think i know which ones your talking about, could be where you have geometry intersecting?

Not exactly; I't almost using a rounded shape (no ridges) for the low poly to make this, and I've been able to minimize the lines a little, but not enough. Currently it looks a little like this, and I am unsure if this is acceptable/will work.
    lnDnGi9.png
  • Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There was a discussion earlier about ITIN / EIN number, I can confirm that calling the IRS and getting a EIN over the phone does indeed work as I received my first pay today.

So for people having trouble with ITIN, just look at getting a EIN over the phone.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Starcofski wrote: »
    Not exactly; I't almost using a rounded shape (no ridges) for the low poly to make this, and I've been able to minimize the lines a little, but not enough. Currently it looks a little like this, and I am unsure if this is acceptable/will work.
    It looks like your channels do not line up. Just resize that stuff to 256x256 and you'll see that it's not an issue
  • deadl3ss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys please check out my Rikimaru - The Last Shinobi Set -

Hope you like it !!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=130115353

C97ABB58B2F8A478880EF5E6A8DD17C4AC6BFFD3
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Plant wrote: »
    There was a discussion earlier about ITIN / EIN number, I can confirm that calling the IRS and getting a EIN over the phone does indeed work as I received my first pay today.

So for people having trouble with ITIN, just look at getting a EIN over the phone.

Just wanted to 2nd this, worked for me as well. good times :)