Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xnormal bakes very quick normal/AO maps because it isn't running a viewport, which also means your high poly model can be as large as zbrush can handle and xnormal won't really have a problem with it. When you bake you normals do you create a cage mesh in max/maya and import it as an external cage in Xnormal. This is a very reliable way of getting great bakes. The other option is the explicit normal map generation technique which involves setting the min max ray distances in the low poly options, but this isn't very reliable as its applying a maximum distance for the rays across all the verts of your model, rather than having an authored cage. I normally duplicate my low poly, triangulate it and duplicate it again. I turn the second triangulated mesh into my cage mesh and use a push modifier or transform component in maya to move the verts out and use a decimated model from zbrush as a guide. Then I export that as my cage mesh for Xnormal. The nice thing about this is you have a persistant cage model so whenever you need to rebake you don't need recreate it. I hope this helps, if theres anything I've not explained particularly well just ask me to clarify.

I see general opinion is towards xNormal.

But i will make normals with both xNormal and Zbrush multi map , You can compare for yourselves.

i dont mean xNormal is bad, im just trying to see where i went wrong with harnessing its allegedly great power.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Saman wrote: »
    I tried that and I got the same result. I'm getting the same error with SMD. I've seen tutorial videos where they only selected the weapon bone and the mesh and then exported. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Have you used a reset xform before you started skinning?
  • Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rowinish polycounter lvl 8
    Hello,

Made these quick sketches in class yesterday, then tossed some color on them. I'm trying to decide which one I will make for Keeper. Crits and Comments are requested.
    Thanks,

580ee66c371c10352844fbf5ac81b4a3.png

980f414ff7508d733a348401410a9fcf.png
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Rowinish wrote: »
    Hello,

Made these quick sketches in class yesterday, then tossed some color on them. I'm trying to decide which one I will make for Keeper. Crits and Comments are requested.
    Thanks,

580ee66c371c10352844fbf5ac81b4a3.png

980f414ff7508d733a348401410a9fcf.png
    This doesn't look like Kotl weapons at all. He uses straight and even shapes. The ones you drew look more like a Natures Prophet weapons.
  • Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rowinish polycounter lvl 8
    This doesn't look like Kotl weapons at all. He uses straight and even shapes. The ones you drew look more like a Natures Prophet weapons.

Yeah, I was thinking that B might work for Outworld. Thanks.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    humf hawt, i really want to say something about that but i dont want to be agressive...

why you treat the people that are trying to help you like that?

I would certainly love to receive more criticism on the workshop don't get me wrong, I'd love to get other artists to help me get better, most of the time when I post here a lot of it goes ignored

2CguwAH.png
    The bottom comment is helpful as it gives a suggested change (but if I made the draug any greener he might blend with the grass too much)
    The top comment contributes absolutely nothing and a majority of comments on the workshop are ones like these unfortunately

I'm starting to think most of the kids who browse the workshop are unclear about how the workshop actually works, or what it's even for.
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaemirix polycounter lvl 10
    I don't ever see comments like that Hawt Coffee. All I ever see are comments like "cool". Not helpful, but certainly not disruptive like that.

Here's the last batch of comments for mine. Most of them don't make sense, but they're certainly not "bad". They're either in Russian or someone trying to speak in English who can't very well.

EXjqUHB.png

Not particularly useful but not problematic like you seem to claim.

However I do find issue in the fact that out of 122 comments, maybe ~10 were thoughtful responses and 2-3 were good critiques.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Should we start up a new pol for next months dota2 challenge?
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Should definitely have a pool of heroes this time instead of bombarding the workshop with one.

Perhaps select 3-5 out of the heroes who don't have sets

No sets (But are on workshop requirements):
    (# of items) - Name

(0) - Alchemist
    (0) - Batrider
    (5) - Brewmaster
    (0) - Centaur
    (0) - Dark Seer
    (0) - Keeper of the Light
    (0) - Leshrac
    (0) - Lich
    (1) - Lycanthrope
    (6) - Necrolyte
    (0) - Nyx Assassin
    (4) - Ogre Magi
    (3) - Phantom Assassin
    (7) - Pudge*
    (0) - Pugna
    (0) - Queen of Pain
    (0) - Razor
    (0) - Silencer*
    (4) - Skeleton King*
    (2) - Slardar
    (0) - Slark
    (0) - Spectre
    (2) - Spirit Breaker
    (0) - Storm Spirit
    (0) - Venomancer
    (0) - Weaver

*Have sets in files but in shop yet
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6

ok, this should be the list in my opinion.

Chen
    Chen
    Chen
    Chen
    Chen
    Chen
    Chen
    Chen
    Chen
    Chen
    Chen
    Chen
    Chen
    Chen
    Chen
    Chen
    Chen
    Chen
    Chen
    Chen
    Chen

I think its a fair poll, and he has a mount, so Anuxi, you can make another $18 legendary set.
  • Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    check out my sword guys , any critics - specially the ones that help me with general shader masks and amelioration - are welcome.

1zqajc3.jpg
  • RoqueDemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon polycounter lvl 6
    check out my sword guys , any critics - specially the ones that help me with general shader masks and amelioration - are welcome.

1zqajc3.jpg

I think that the blade blends too much with juggernaut. Maybe make it lighter?
  • Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon wrote: »
    I think that the blade blends too much with juggernaut. Maybe make it lighter?

yeah i thought so too. im still working on getting a good color mix , since i cant add particles ( the idea is that the very edge of the sword will be glowing sorta like a hot knife , achieved through particles ) i must find other ways to fake , but for now i came up with a better texture comp :D

15nxchk.jpg
  • Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More vivid colors.

My resolution ingame is blurring things up. Do you know how to get direct render from dota 2 or atleast get it bigger or over-resolution ?

2zoys1v.jpg
  • darkartsofneko
    I tried that and I got the same result. I'm getting the same error with SMD. I've seen tutorial videos where they only selected the weapon bone and the mesh and then exported. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Are you linking the mesh to the bones before exporting? Because I've found that I don't need to export the bones as long as the mesh itself is linked to the bone. (using 3DS Max)
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    probably going to scrap the Kendo juggernaut set
  • Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

if you are still on this problem , i think resetting xform in 3ds max will solve it. just reset xform and bake it (collapse modifiers)

if not then , at least i tried.

i get a feeling i can talk to u in another lang ....
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaemirix wrote: »
    Perhaps select 3-5 out of the heroes who don't have sets (or one set)

Alchemist
    Batrider
    Centaur
    Chen
    Dark Seer
    Keeper of the Light
    Leshrac
    Lich
    Razor
    Spectre
    Storm Spirit
    Weaver

Edited the above list to cut down on those who already have decent-quality set submissions. All of the above are either lacking a presence on the workshop, or are lacking in quality submissions.

I think to make it interesting, maybe consider doing a random pairings challenge with one hero each? Still don't have time to participate (finals coming soon), but if you just have 1-hero solo attempts it floods that hero temporarily. If you had 6 people paired into 3 pairs, you cover 3 heroes and double the time allotted for each set.
  • Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2zoys1v.jpg

Yep , this is the stuff ! imma upload it to workshop right now !
  • Gamer_Alien
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    I definitely think that there should be a theme larger than just a particular hero (or group of heroes) for future monthly contests, people are always going to be working on items and sets so the contest doesn't really change anything about that.

I think the themes should be based on less specific things like lore, hero types, colours, item slots, polycounts, dire vs. radiant.
  • Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wondering what peoples opinions are on items dropping, sets that were implemented yesterday (including my own) are already dropping after games.

I personally feel that there should be a 2-4 week grace period after a item ships before it starts dropping. Am I alone?
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's why I suggest a group of heroes that are getting no love.
    Lich has been on the workshop a while and doesn't have a single item submitted. Not even a bad one.

@Plant
    I agree. It's not like TF2 where items actually change the game. These are purely cosmetic and a grace period would be nice.

That being said this is the first time in a long time they've updated the item list, and it might a while before the next time they update. You might have just been very unlucky.
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    I think the themes should be based on less specific things like lore, hero types, colours, item slots, polycounts, dire vs. radiant.

miscellaneous items!

vlad and i are chugging out a few non weapon equips. there are waaaay too many stabby things already and brainstorming thematically relevant misc items is fun.

also i'm totally game for wards, but helenek may have a seizure so i'll work on that later.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Misc items is an awesome idea!
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    miscellaneous items!

vlad and i are chugging out a few non weapon equips. there are waaaay too many stabby things already and brainstorming thematically relevant misc items is fun.

also i'm totally game for wards, but helenek may have a seizure so i'll work on that later.

I wont, I think I have to accept the fact that the DOTA community, or anyone in general can't handle a ward that isn't based off a hero. I hate to admit it, but if its the truth, I can only accept it.

Hey, if the animations look good, I won't mind. :thumbup:

To be honest, I would really love the idea of a ward or courier only month! I know Vidotto would be down for something like that!
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wont, I think I have to accept the fact that the DOTA community, or anyone in general can't handle a ward that isn't based off a hero. I hate to admit it, but if its the truth, I can only accept it.

I think the problem isn't it not being based on a hero, it's that yours don't have silhouettes easily noticed as a ward. That combined with a lot of movement makes them stand out when they shouldn't really.
  • Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

To be honest, I would really love the idea of a ward or courier only month! I know Vidotto would be down for something like that!

Your overall shape of wards don't match the ones in the game, your wards have very thick bases that thins out at the top (pyramid), all wards in the game are the opposite, with the bulk being where the eye is.

There are plenty of "living" wards that don't break the silhouette as you like to call them, just because they're hero based doesn't mean they aren't alive. Venomancer, Tidehunter, Jakiro, Warlock, Bane, all those wards are "alive" and have characters of their own.

Don't get me wrong your wards are beautifully animated and I think they look awesome, but the focus distribution is off due to the shape. A more fitting example for the guy in the bush would be him in a treehouse. The bottom is thin and builds up bulk for the platform where he / eye would be, as oppose to being fat and flat on the ground (That's just a silly example and the scaling would not work at all for a treehouse)

(that example just totally gave me an idea)
  • Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guys , do u think i should add more paintings on my sowrd or is it just good as it is ?

i wanted to make something common but i get this feeling "its not good enough" ...

2zoys1v.jpg
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    Wait, how do you make sure your item is the correct scale when you import? I tried to scale my item to an existing character model and exported it, but when I import it I think it's about 2 microns big and isn't animating with the character, etc.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I definitely think that there should be a theme larger than just a particular hero (or group of heroes) for future monthly contests, people are always going to be working on items and sets so the contest doesn't really change anything about that.

Yup, I really like that idea too. I'd be glad to participate if the spread of heroes and items was greater. Less directly competing with each other, which is a good thing because multiple people's stuff each month could get in instead of just the best set.
  • Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr wrote: »
    Wait, how do you make sure your item is the correct scale when you import? I tried to scale my item to an existing character model and exported it, but when I import it I think it's about 2 microns big and isn't animating with the character, etc.

use reset xform in max or freeze in maya BEFORE rigging your model , that will help.
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    use reset xform in max or freeze in maya BEFORE rigging your model , that will help.

I've never heard of freezing, how would I do it/what does it do? I sort of figured out that I need to map the bones to my geometry before exporting, but if I freeze the geometry can I not select it again or...?

edit: I think I found something, 'freeze transformations'? I'll see if that does anything. Annnnnd still tiny.

Well, I'm not sure what I did and I feel like I'm going insane, but it worked itself out somehow, haha.

GibQczL.jpg
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Plant wrote: »
    Wondering what peoples opinions are on items dropping, sets that were implemented yesterday (including my own) are already dropping after games.

I personally feel that there should be a 2-4 week grace period after a item ships before it starts dropping. Am I alone?

I agree with this, would be nice to see at least a month of restricted availability or perhaps some other way of making the items rare like an early adapter exclusive?. Somewhat like the current setup for the monthly chests, im sure being able to only pick them up for a month increases the key sales dramatically.

Bronto - I would love to see a simpler option available for the contest for thos who may have time constraints. A non mounted 4-5 slot hero for example, themes also sound like a winner :)
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I tried with your suggestions(resetting xform) and then exported it as SMD too. The FBX didn't work but the SMD did so thanks, guys!
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    I have also been working on this set for Lich over the last week or so, i have this mostly sculpted now but would really appreciate some feedback before i commit to a lowpoly/bakes etc :).

Max Viewport grabs of the pre sculpt base mesh

lennyagony_lichv1.jpg
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not a huge fan of the new "horns" but the rest of the set looks pretty damn awesome. I get the clothing being smooth and flat but on the horns it just looks odd to me.
  • Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried with your suggestions(resetting xform) and then exported it as SMD too. The FBX didn't work but the SMD did so thanks, guys!

Happy i could help .
  • K-PAX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K-PAX polycounter lvl 7
    look forward.i don,t want miss that again.
  • K-PAX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K-PAX polycounter lvl 7
    Should definitely have a pool of heroes this time instead of bombarding the workshop with one.

Perhaps select 3-5 out of the heroes who don't have sets

No sets (But are on workshop requirements):
    (# of items) - Name

(0) - Alchemist
    (0) - Batrider
    (5) - Brewmaster
    (0) - Centaur
    (0) - Dark Seer
    (0) - Keeper of the Light
    (0) - Leshrac
    (0) - Lich
    (1) - Lycanthrope
    (6) - Necrolyte
    (0) - Nyx Assassin
    (4) - Ogre Magi
    (3) - Phantom Assassin
    (7) - Pudge*
    (0) - Pugna
    (0) - Queen of Pain
    (0) - Razor
    (0) - Silencer*
    (4) - Skeleton King*
    (2) - Slardar
    (0) - Slark
    (0) - Spectre
    (2) - Spirit Breaker
    (0) - Storm Spirit
    (0) - Venomancer
    (0) - Weaver

*Have sets in files but in shop yet
    nec already have a set in store.man~
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K-PAX wrote: »
    nec already have a set in store.man~

Whoops, my bad. Other than that the list should be right.
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on a storm spirit hat and beard. Thoughts?
    T2X4taB.png
    Id145pe.png
    qztgie2.png

My biggest problem is you can't really see the curled bangs I have because the shadow of the hat is just so dark. I tipped it up slightly but that really didn't change a lot.
  • Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on a storm spirit hat and beard. Thoughts?
    T2X4taB.png
    qztgie2.png

My biggest problem is you can't really see the curled bangs I have because the shadow of the hat is just so dark. I tipped it up slightly but that really didn't change a lot.

Looking at it from game perspective , your item has to change the hero ( in a positive way ofc) . having the same hat shape wont be just as noticed. but thats my personal opinion.

check out my sword , it stands out but not that much.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=128919602
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Xnormal bakes very quick normal/AO maps because it isn't running a viewport, which also means your high poly model can be as large as zbrush can handle and xnormal won't really have a problem with it. When you bake you normals do you create a cage mesh in max/maya and import it as an external cage in Xnormal. This is a very reliable way of getting great bakes. The other option is the explicit normal map generation technique which involves setting the min max ray distances in the low poly options, but this isn't very reliable as its applying a maximum distance for the rays across all the verts of your model, rather than having an authored cage. I normally duplicate my low poly, triangulate it and duplicate it again. I turn the second triangulated mesh into my cage mesh and use a push modifier or transform component in maya to move the verts out and use a decimated model from zbrush as a guide. Then I export that as my cage mesh for Xnormal. The nice thing about this is you have a persistant cage model so whenever you need to rebake you don't need recreate it. I hope this helps, if theres anything I've not explained particularly well just ask me to clarify.

that is a great tip on baking
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking at it from game perspective , your item has to change the hero ( in a positive way ofc) . having the same hat shape wont be just as noticed. but thats my personal opinion.

check out my sword , it stands out but not that much.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=128919602

It's true that the shape doesn't change much, but storm spirit's round hat is a signature of the hero dating back to WC3Dota. It's what you focus on. Having a different overall shape would really detract from that. The shape itself is actually much rounder than his standard hat, which is more "cone" shaped, while mine is more of a squashed hemisphere.

RxKcOIP.png

As for your item, the design is simple and nice but the textures seem very uniform in color. Nothing stands out on the blade, and nothing feels defined or special. Even for a common the textures make it feel "bland"
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

OMG anuxi, you are right!

created it and saved the first post for the rules

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1782679

any suggestion for the new month please leave on the linked thread so we dont pollute this one
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Make the poll and post it on reddit again!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

i would love too, but i think that will restrict some of the participants
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've burnt myself out on making sets so I want to focus on making a series of high-quality standalone items, really push myself to focus on the character and design and most importantly the technique.

Here's the first in that series (click the image for the Workshop page):
    QFwQ9W3.jpg
  • JDT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDT
    hi,anyone can advise with what program I should be doing texture?