Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Tvidotto

The UV layout helps in Zbrush to separate and regroup. I also keep my first divide without smooth.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    SinAmos wrote: »
    @ Tvidotto

The UV layout helps in Zbrush to separate and regroup. I also keep my first divide without smooth.

i still thinks that doenst make sense the uv before the highpoly but every workflow is different =]
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cgfx Shader makes mesh disappear in render. Hmmmm.
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    i still thinks that doenst make sense the uv before the highpoly but every workflow is different =]

You realize that UVs aren't exact copies of space, but rough estimates. Spacing isn't exact, so my way doesn't create any enormous stretch of distortion. I used to think of UV like you are thinking, but it isn't the case.
  • PINS_012
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cgfx Shader makes mesh disappear in render. Hmmmm.

Correct the cgfx shader will not work with Maya renders
  • PINS_012
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PINS_012 wrote: »
    Started on new shoulders for Skeleton King.

Thoughts?
    SKshoulder02_highRes01.jpg

Game mesh. I feel like something is missing :( I'm going to let this one sit for a bit and move onto something else.

SKshoulder_02_01.jpg
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Correct the cgfx shader will not work with Maya renders

Or the Mental Ray. So, what is supposed to happen with this shader?
  • PINS_012
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or the Mental Ray. So, what is supposed to happen with this shader?

You use it to view and iterate on your textures, _color, _normal, _mask1, _mask2, While in texture mode "6"
  • SinAmos
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Game mesh. I feel like something is missing :( I'm going to let this one sit for a bit and move onto something else.

SKshoulder_02_01.jpg

what is that texture number 6?

about your texture i think it mix some more blended colors and a gradient on the color, with the top part a little more bright then the botton part
  • PINS_012
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tvidotto what is that texture number 6?

Maya shortcut key to Display Shaded and Textured
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tvidotto what is that texture number 6?

Maya shortcut key to Display Shaded and Textured

ahhh, i was thinking on something more complex then that =]

thanks, you shader is fully working here

just some scenes that it is green and i dont know why
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Spectacular work everyone. You've all been very busy! Uni's almost over, so I'll be back with new items soon!
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tvidotto, alrighty! How about this one? Was a little bit lazy before with transparent background ^^ Took some vacation from work so maybe i can finish this set now :D

h3WAT.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paskie wrote: »
    @Tvidotto, alrighty! How about this one? Was a little bit lazy before with transparent background ^^ Took some vacation from work so maybe i can finish this set now :D

h3WAT.jpg

much better paskie

1lbBE
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The reason why it looks strange is bacause i had to adjust the geometry so i think i have to do the details again, but thats ok since i got good tips from you now that i can fix there :D Disregard the head and tail, i have not begun texturing those yet so it's just the "body armor" The reason it is thin is because the hero does not have a slot for that, so i had to use the misc slot and that has only 300 polygons for the the whole piece. Do not think there is any way i can add more polys. :(
    Here is some other pics. A bit strange, imgurl seems to be adding a darker color also. I'll try to fix the stuff and post back later! :)

rhB85.jpg
  • Selbryn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, I´m making my first item for Dota2 workshop, its a Staff for Chen, I will thank any feedback you could tell to me.
    Staff:gvX8P.png

lvE1F.png

• spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    ok I got my courier working in the game finally! (material and animated model)
    Since the alien swarm model viewer doesn't seem to support the shaders at all whats the quickest way to texture/and preview the shader/lighting?

(using max)
  • radRhodium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started on a Natures Prophet set a long time ago and it burned me out because I didn't have solid enough ideas for some of the items. Going to scratch it and learn to cut my losses faster. I still plan on finishing only the beard.

This is the WIP:
    j44n5.jpg

Any feedback appreciated verily much so. Currently at 369 tris.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Since the alien swarm model viewer doesn't seem to support the shaders at all whats the quickest way to texture/and preview the shader/lighting?

(using max)

I'd say we are stuck with xoliulshader or 3point, until someone finds a good workaround or cfgs one like the guy at the top post, i've been trying to figure that out myself. I looked into the source film maker tutorial but don't know if it runs the shading, ect. if you have time and space take a stab at it. Can't wait to see it running around.:poly136:
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish I could show you guys my zbrush tricks for painting and sculpting. It is all about creating separate UV regions for the actual paint. You can fit so much info in and not waste space, while using symmetry to your advantage even in asymmetrical pieces.
  • Selbryn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I uploaded the staff to the store, Can you guys give me feedback or vote to help? Thank you!

CDFB0EBF7755D591BE5B7FE0881C65816FD55DF5

Link:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=106236590&searchtext=
  • Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    Hey, did you guys receive any income yet? when did they pay?

They didnt send me anything yet, and I dont know if its because im doing something wrong.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

(using max)

maybe that will help you
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1696405&postcount=56

and here you can check the renders
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107084&page=3
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SBshoulderSculpt.jpg
    Slowly, but surely!
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    Dvonio wrote: »
    Hey, did you guys receive any income yet? when did they pay?

They didnt send me anything yet, and I dont know if its because im doing something wrong.

In the contract or FAQ (I'd need to find it again, forget where) they said they (should) write the checks on the 30th of the month AFTER the month it went on sale. So if you were part of that early october batch you should get something around the 30th of november.

Also, make sure you email them your W2 if you don't want to lose 30% of it to taxes, there should be a link to it in your workshop.
  • Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    In the contract or FAQ (I'd need to find it again, forget where) they said they (should) write the checks on the 30th of the month AFTER the month it went on sale. So if you were part of that early october batch you should get something around the 30th of november.

Also, make sure you email them your W2 if you don't want to lose 30% of it to taxes, there should be a link to it in your workshop.

I read that of the 30th, but cant find it again too.

Thank you, that should be right, I understand that part wrong, so wait to 30th november then!.

About the taxes, well, Im not from us and the card they ask for takes long time to get, so I think i will get 30% cut because of that, but I dont care the first month.

Thanks again!
  • bn20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ky45y.png

Concept sculpt for a set called Slithereen Bruiser, not sure if the sholders would work
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Anyone know anything about hooking up to the dynamics? I have an item set I'm doing for the competition with long draping sleeves(see below) (like templar assasin or necrolyte and I'm not sure how to get them to animate properly.

CapeCompare.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about hooking up to the dynamics? I have an item set I'm doing for the competition with long draping sleeves (like templar assasin or necrolyte and I'm not sure how to get them to animate properly.

CapeCompare.jpg

nice one man, really well done

you can use cloth, you create a bone and define its parameters on the qc file when compiling

unfortunately, im almost sure that the ingame compiler doesnt accept custom qc files, just the tradtional way of compiling
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice one man, really well done

you can use cloth, you create a bone and define its parameters on the qc file when compiling

unfortunately, im almost sure that the ingame compiler doesnt accept custom qc files, just the tradtional way of compiling

Any idea for the best way to go about this then? I mean maybe it would be okay just bound to the arms like I've seen on a few heroes like invoker or Keeper of the Light... but those heroes typically have the sleeve length stopping at the elbow joint.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any idea for the best way to go about this then? I mean maybe it would be okay just bound to the arms like I've seen on a few heroes like invoker or Keeper of the Light... but those heroes typically have the sleeve length stopping at the elbow joint.

you have the easy and the hard way

the easy you already said, make it stiff as the other, noone will see it or know it unless you post a video

or you can learn how to compile with programs like the guistudioMDL and create your custom bone with cloth.

if i may sugest, finish your model, then you try to do a custom compile, its a little hard to get everything working. On this thread you will find all the answers to get it working, but its a lot of pages to read

and good luck with your model, its going really well =]
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you have the easy and the hard way

the easy you already said, make it stiff as the other, noone will see it or know it unless you post a video

or you can learn how to compile with programs like the guistudioMDL and create your custom bone with cloth.

if i may sugest, finish your model, then you try to do a custom compile, its a little hard to get everything working. On this thread you will find all the answers to get it working, but its a lot of pages to read

and good luck with your model, its going really well =]

Thanks, I'll have to try that out sometime in the future :)

In the meantime I have a bit of an import issue different issue. Anyone ever had a size mismatch issue before? Everything fits her perfect in maya but in the workshop in game it's huuuge. I've already frozen transformations and deleted history.

ImportTrouble.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I'll have to try that out sometime in the future :)

In the meantime I have a bit of an import issue different issue. Anyone ever had a size mismatch issue before? Everything fits her perfect in maya but in the workshop in game it's huuuge. I've already frozen transformations and deleted history.

ImportTrouble.jpg

a lot of people got that problem before

apparently are some models with wrong sizes

check if you downloaded the model recentlly and try to compare with one of the ingame models, you can decompile it with the studiocompiler tool
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @artquest Shoot me a PM and I'll forward you the guide that Mark.N sent me. I'll refine it with my findings.

Just be warned; Valve have stated that anything involving custom animations (ie cloth) are less likely to be selected for implementation into the game. In the case of the contest, it could result in being disqualified.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a lot of people got that problem before

apparently are some models with wrong sizes

check if you downloaded the model recentlly and try to compare with one of the ingame models, you can decompile it with the studiocompiler tool

Is there any documentation on this process, and if so where might I find it?
  • plundh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see some people are testing their items in-game by replacing models in the test client, as opposed to the Workshop previewer, and I assume this is the way to go if you want to equip your complete set at once?

Could someone outline this process? I'd greatly appreciate it.

EDIT: As I understand it, I'm supposed to unpack the models and materials folders from the .vpk, into dota 2 test/dota, and this will cause the client to pick from those folders as opposed to the originals in the .vpk.

Replacing the .vtx .mdl .vvd files for the weapon slot in models/heroes/skeleton_king, and also the textures in materials, doesn't seem to affect anything in-game.

EDIT2: Missed the part about renaming pak01_dir.vpk, so one step clsoer. Tried replacing the cape, which just removes it, and the weapon, which for some reason replaces the weapon with another one that's not mine.

Confusing: the workshop importer creates 4 .vtf files (masks, default normal) and one .vmt file for the weapon. However in the game folder, there's these files:
    skeleton_king_sword.vmt
    skeleton_king_sword.vtf
    skeleton_king_sword_default.vmt
    skeleton_king_sword_default.vtf
    skeleton_king_sword_masks1.vtf
    skeleton_king_sword_masks2.vtf

So there's one extra .vmt file. Which do I replace with what?
  • PINS_012
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started on a new sword for the Skeleton King. Trying to focus on his royalty and not so much the un-dead part. Blade will be onyx, the rest will be gold and black with a dark red handle wrap.

SK_Sword02.jpg
  • Selbryn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everybody, i have modified my Chen Staff , i wish you can help me with your feedback and if you like it please rate it ;)

og2xe.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=106236590

• Selbryn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Double Post Sorry
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not really a sword?

Started on a new sword for the Skeleton King. Trying to focus on his royalty and not so much the un-dead part. Blade will be onyx, the rest will be gold and black with a dark red handle wrap.

SK_Sword02.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

SK_Sword02.jpg

Hey Pins!

you should reconsider those small details, that is a suggestion a guy from valve gave me on my first courier, "in game the will be just like noise, use bigger details"

and i like the idea of the blade, really original =]
  • PINS_012
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tvidotto Your absolutely right about the small details. I'm pushing myself to see how much I can get in engine without moving into noise territory. I want the center pattern up the blade to be very subtle in the end.
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuJNZuuV6-c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuJNZuuV6-c[/ame]

Guys, I did it. I got cloth working in the live client, and in a submit-able form! Obviously the actual numbers need work, but I'm just excited! All that's left to crack is the particle attachment points.

FLASH EDIT: Just a major warning: the process for doing making this happen is simple but annoying; in order for it to simulate, you need to copy/paste your mdl, dx90, cloth etc files from the test client (after confirming they work) and it writes them into a new submission file. Then the files are lost and, if you don't like how it looks the first time, you need to delete the contents of the folder and re-add everything from earlier. It's going to be a royal pain, but it's doable.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starcofski wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuJNZuuV6-c

Guys, I did it. I got cloth working in the live client, and in a submit-able form! Obviously the actual numbers need work, but I'm just excited! All that's left to crack is the particle attachment points.

FLASH EDIT: Just a major warning: the process for doing making this happen is simple but annoying; in order for it to simulate, you need to copy/paste your mdl, dx90, cloth etc files from the test client (after confirming they work) and it writes them into a new submission file. Then the files are lost and, if you don't like how it looks the first time, you need to delete the contents of the folder and re-add everything from earlier. It's going to be a royal pain, but it's doable.

Awesome!

Yes, the attachment point mystery is really something we would like to solve. Imagine what we could do with that!

Tvidotto, i got myself in a really big mess with my venomancer items :poly136:

I had not checked if the animation was going to work on the body armor since the model does not have a slot for that..... So after spending the whole weekend trying to find the right bones to use for skinning i have been able to add some more geometry to it looks better now. Going to uvmap it again today and start with the details again. Damn this snake/plant hero :) I should have just done some bracers instead of a body armor.....
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuJNZuuV6-c

awesome Starcofski, hat were the cloth configuration you used?
    Paskie wrote: »
    Awesome!

Yes, the attachment point mystery is really something we would like to solve. Imagine what we could do with that!

Tvidotto, i got myself in a really big mess with my venomancer items :poly136:

I had not checked if the animation was going to work on the body armor since the model does not have a slot for that..... So after spending the whole weekend trying to find the right bones to use for skinning i have been able to add some more geometry to it looks better now. Going to uvmap it again today and start with the details again. Damn this snake/plant hero :) I should have just done some bracers instead of a body armor.....

good luck with that =]
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tvidotto: Basically I had the .cloth, dx90, mdl, and vvd files (all taken from the models/heroes folder) and then used the same name when doing a test upload in the live client. It overwrites the files, but uses them since they already exist inside the folder. Haven't gone back to check, but it might stay that way if you make no changes to any of it.
  • PINS_012
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like I'm at a good spot. May turn this into a set...

SKBlade02game01.jpg
  • plundh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm trying to compile the model files so that I can preview them in-game in the test client. I'm using the files outputted by the workshop.

Does anybody know how to change the .qc file so that the resulting .mdl points to the right textures? I tried adding $cdmaterials after reading the Valve dev wiki, but that didn't work. The models show up with no texture.

Using the standard workshop .qc:
    $upaxis Y

$modelname "heroes/skeleton_king/skeleton_king_weapon.mdl"

$cdmaterials "models/heroes/skeleton_king/"

$surfaceprop "default"

$bodygroup "default"
    {
    studio "sword.dmx"
    }

$sequence "ref" "sword.dmx"
    DeU6D.jpg

Any help greatly appreciated!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tvidotto: Basically I had the .cloth, dx90, mdl, and vvd files (all taken from the models/heroes folder) and then used the same name when doing a test upload in the live client. It overwrites the files, but uses them since they already exist inside the folder. Haven't gone back to check, but it might stay that way if you make no changes to any of it.

i did some tests today with the lonedruids spirit bear cloth, only thing that i need to learn now is were i define to load the cloth file, but with a char that already have a cloth its just a matter of tweaking the existing file

any clue about that?