Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, maybe you guys can help me with some technical issues I've been having on my outworld destroyer set... or maybe you can tell me that this idea is simply not possible at dota 2 texture resolutions, either answer would help.

I had an idea for armor that I thought was great but the 256x256 texture resolution and the compression algorithm is murdering me. I was going to make armor that looked like you were peering into space, pitch black with no rim-lighting or specular, and made the stars glitter using just a little bit of od's animated texture to make them appear to be changing color. It actually looks pretty cool but the texture resolution and also I believe the compression is killing it badly. Something about the compression algorithm likes to create a gradient or something between colors and it's making everything all blotchy and stretched. Basically all the stars get stretched out (even if they're only 1 pixel, tested it) and make the "sky" look more white than black.

Does anyone have any advice for how to get around this problem or should I toss the stars idea and do something else? Is this a dota 2 issue or something I need to learn about 3d modeling in general, I'm still fairly new to this.

Im guessing your working at 2048x2048? You have to remember the ingame texture is 64 times smaller, so doing really fine detail isn't going to work. post shots anyway though
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not that it really matters since I'm sure every one is balls-deep in the Polycount contest but Razor's model just got added to the list.

Still waiting for Chaos Knight and Anti-Mage
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    http://media.steampowered.com/apps/dota2/workshop/Dota2ShaderMaskGuide.pdf

is this new? pretty handy either way

EDIT:

finished my swordfish! whoah that was only three months ago.

also i am getting some silly error about not finding corresponding bones. does anyone know what's up with that? i keep exporting the fbx but whenever i check it the sword geometry disappears
    yaaaaaay.jpg?t=1350474087
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    Yes, that Shader Mask Guide is new, and its awesome, <3 valve. Thx for posting!
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh dear. "dota 2 could not prepare content file"

it works in the previewer and everything, so i'm not sure why it's making a fuss now
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

it works in the previewer and everything, so i'm not sure why it's making a fuss now

try reseting your pc or steam
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I had the same problem today, will try when i get home from work.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Soldeus wrote: »
    Yes, that Shader Mask Guide is new, and its awesome, <3 valve. Thx for posting!

Still waiting on those animation guidelines, I want to animate some taunts now! :poly127:
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOD is vertices count? I just want to make sure. I kept seeing a lot of people saying LOD was triangle count, but that isn't the technical definition of LOD.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    SinAmos wrote: »
    LOD is vertices count? I just want to make sure. I kept seeing a lot of people saying LOD was triangle count, but that isn't the technical definition of LOD.

lod is level of detail

the usual naming convention is the higher the number, fewer the triangle counts

on game engines its triggered calculating the ditance of the camera from the object, so you dont force something that is too far to waste processing
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know what LOD stands for, but LOD represents vertices and not triangles. That is what I'm going after, so I'm trying to make sure that LOD counts for valve means verts count, rather than tris count.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lod represent the amount of detail, you can count that as triangles, vertices or even hard edges and number os uv objects
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, Polygon Limit means triangle limit? Thanks for the clarification. My first attempts were based on counting verts from the models items and comparing them to what I had. EX: LoD0 Polygon Limit: 550 means 550 tris?
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just checked my previous work. LOD polygon limit is vert count. There is no way it isn't. Sorry about rehashing.;)
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Basic weapon concept for Omniknight I came up with. Yes I know he uses hammers, but I really wanted him to have a holy sword he could use. This is my first attempt at 100% hand painting. Let me know what you guys think of the direction it is heading. This is just the 2d photoshop render, nothing has been made in maya yet.

Thanks,

Josh

15yg5z4.jpg
  • Ceddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry guys has anyone else run into this problem? I loaded the models downloaded straight from the style guide into Maya2013:

'The attribute 'lanaya_base_basetexture5.fileTextureName.fileTextureName' is locked or connected and cannot be modified. //'

I was told previously in the forum to 'you just gotta break the connection, and find the texture again' but I wasn't sure how this works. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ceddy

Just go into hypershade and disconnect the VMT and excess nodes. Then just connect the diffuse and normal into the shader. Ez-peezy!
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Set is almost done. Made a belt, now it's time to make something for a head, idk what though. And summon/ult
    dXLbr.jpg
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    I just checked my previous work. LOD polygon limit is vert count. There is no way it isn't. Sorry about rehashing.;)

The importer is bugged, valve is working on fixing it and has stated that the poly limit listed for each character/item is in tris.

You're right tvidotto it was a UV problem. I managed to fix it, mostly, but I still wasn't getting the results I wanted. Maybe I could do it with particle effects but until valve adds that capability for the workshop I think I'll be working on a different idea in the meantime. Thanks for the help though.
  • Ceddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ceddy

Just go into hypershade and disconnect the VMT and excess nodes. Then just connect the diffuse and normal into the shader. Ez-peezy!

Sorry I'm quite new to Maya. When I pop open hypershade all the materials for Lanaya are green and textures are also blank. I should clarify that I am on Maya 2013 (64bit since I have a mac), which I read wasn't supported but I wasn't sure if it applied to the models they were providing from the specs page. If this is the case are there alternatives to getting this up and running on my mac? I do have bootcamp installed and spent the evening yesterday struggling with extracting the MDL files and was able to at least load the models into Blender.

Thanks for your help.
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident
    You are right. They changed it to tri limit. I just noticed.

@Ceddy
    Right click the shader node and expand the hierarchy. Disconnect the VMT node and that will let you connect the diffuse shader and the normal map. You need to just look up some hypershade tutorials for the basics. Good luck.
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oddly enough: when I went to get my LOD information for the hero I'm working on, what I copied from the techinical requirements was POLYGON LIMIT, but now when I just checked, it says TRIANGLE LIMIT. Weird!
  • Ceddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I shall give it go, just wanted to make sure it wasn't something trivial like system specs.
  • rorozilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rorozilla polycounter lvl 6
    man! i'm supper bummed! I've been racking my brain finding cool concepts for nature's prophet and i just learned that he isn't available! why would they put his specs if you cant make anything? is it just because he doesn't apply for the contest, but can still be customized?

anyway... what is done is done... so! i thought if i cant make any thing for the contest, i could at least show off the concept art i spend time on! hope you guys like it!

Nature's Shepherd:

Natureprophe_shepherdt.jpg

PS: im guessing the only way to know weather a character is available, is to sift trough the list on the main page for the contest? I'm such a dummie...

By the way!!

@BeetRootChan : Love your paint stroke and the colors you choose! it looks awesome!

@Ahoburg : i really like that Theatrical theme you have there! maybe some kind of mascaraed mask, or something in that style would be cool!
  • Shooo~
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shooo~ polycounter lvl 7
    sry for doublepost
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

when it defines the limit it means polygons, which are triangles, some people tend to count a quad as 1 poligon but in the engine everything is transformed into triangles
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ceddy wrote: »
    Sorry guys has anyone else run into this problem? I loaded the models downloaded straight from the style guide into Maya2013:

'The attribute 'lanaya_base_basetexture5.fileTextureName.fileTextureName' is locked or connected and cannot be modified. //'

I was told previously in the forum to 'you just gotta break the connection, and find the texture again' but I wasn't sure how this works. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

you can simple create another texture and apply to the model, they use a custom shader that we dont have access
  • Shooo~
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paskie wrote: »
    I had the same problem today, will try when i get home from work.

okay it seems to have fixed itself without me doing anything. o__o

promo.jpg?t=1350540132
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahoburg, nice work! Love the texture. Just give him a russian bearhat and you are done :)
  • Shooo~
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shooo~ polycounter lvl 7
    Sorry for doublepost, im newbie on this forum.
    If moderator can please delete first one.
  • Xpload
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Remade my sword once more :)
    CC8sO.jpg
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    About my lycan's set. Turns out, in order to make it work, i need to edit the animation/weights whatever. Without it, my armor doesn't work properly. And it's been a massive waste of time. Maybe there's somebody who's willing to do it for me? For profit share, of course. It's an armor, belt, shoulder, maybe blades idk.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again, I have two new ones today!

Lucifer's Reckoning
    637x358.resizedimage

Exiled Damnation
    637x358.resizedimage

Thank you. :)
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahoburg wrote: »
    About my lycan's set. Turns out, in order to make it work, i need to edit the animation/weights whatever. Without it, my armor doesn't work properly. And it's been a massive waste of time. Maybe there's somebody who's willing to do it for me? For profit share, of course. It's an armor, belt, shoulder, maybe blades idk.

I can take a look at it if you want, after rigging a naga siren set Im pretty sure I can handle character.

Contact me here
  • Brodin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wanted to try importing a model, though I ended up with a slight problem. :poly101:
    Kvdqn.jpg
    Scale is completely off, which is weird since I modeled it to scale with the model from the game. Suppose it is a problem with the scaling of the model when importing/exporting it. Though I wonder if there is a better way to find the right size for importing to the game other than guess work.
  • Danglebob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    @Brodin: if you are using 3ds max, reset the xform and re-export the model out. I would also recommend exporting it as an .smd. It's Source's native file type and seems to work better than .fbx's.
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brodin wrote: »
    Wanted to try importing a model, though I ended up with a slight problem. :poly101:
    Kvdqn.jpg
    Scale is completely off, which is weird since I modeled it to scale with the model from the game. Suppose it is a problem with the scaling of the model when importing/exporting it. Though I wonder if there is a better way to find the right size for importing to the game other than guess work.

Use the smd files when importing into max
  • pie4all88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rorozilla wrote: »
    man! i'm supper bummed! I've been racking my brain finding cool concepts for nature's prophet and i just learned that he isn't available! why would they put his specs if you cant make anything? is it just because he doesn't apply for the contest, but can still be customized?
    I believe certain heroes that already have a lot of cosmetics implemented (such as Axe, Nature's Prophet, and Sven) were excluded from the contest. You can still submit NP items to the workshop, but I'd check out what he already has--the horns and shoulders look somewhat similar to items that are already in-game.
  • ArchoX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am back. Hello polycount. Heres my one of the older workshop items I did not post there and my totally new one which I think is my best I have ever done. Bad is, that its for hero who dont even have his weapon visible that much. :) Thanks for all the support.

AAEBBF038621663895E6D6CB706F7DFDF9D9ECF5
    Heres the workshop link

7913D22576ABBA6C2B52AF23AE73F97008DF695F
    Heres the workshop link
  • Xpload
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is item rating related to item acceptance for the game? Or is rating just here as a pointer?
  • ArchoX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valve picks 4-5 stars items from "normal" contributors and 2-5 stars items from their favourite modelers.. (vlad)(cowboy ursa). Just my subjective opinion.
  • deolol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deolol polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys im wondering how is it possible to do a detail map on other heroes like the one on Razor ? One that alternates and moves.
    Also how to do you apply shaders to Textures. Thank you
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @deolol: you can't. The detail map is, at this point, uneditable. You can use it via the appropriate layer and mask, but you can't change it, or add it where it does not exist.

On a side note, I tried importing my coat tails from my contest entry. Can anyone see the bottom part, or did it not even load?

EDIT: After doing rebinds and another look, it appears that the bones are just not linked properly and (in fact) are just locked in place. Mark, really needing that tutorial soon (I made/edited the QC code and still got this issue).

dojoo.png
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArchoX wrote: »
    Valve picks 4-5 stars items from "normal" contributors and 2-5 stars items from their favourite modelers.. (vlad)(cowboy ursa). Just my subjective opinion.

Valve add pretty much everything which fits and isn't totally terrible, from what iv seen, the rating system is just feedback for the uploader rather than for Valve.
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Work in progress of a sword concept for Omniknight. Thinking I have to make the hilt a little longer. Also, not sure why omni's armor and head are missing inside of the .smd ?

2edcjes.jpg
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh21 wrote: »
    Work in progress of a sword concept for Omniknight. Thinking I have to make the hilt a little longer. Also, not sure why omni's armor and head are missing inside of the .smd ?

2edcjes.jpg

Omniknight uses hammers,all the models are seprate so you have to import them all
  • ArchoX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex4000 wrote: »
    Valve add pretty much everything which fits and isn't totally terrible, from what iv seen, the rating system is just feedback for the uploader rather than for Valve.

I think they will change it sooner or later but now they dont have any items for certain heroes so they adding pretty much everything.
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working on a weapon for Disruptor over the past week, turned out shit though, posting screens anyway

ldC4D.jpg
    QwXWQ.jpg
  • breunbaer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey,
    my name is Moritz. I recently started modelling and already uploaded 1 item into dota 2 workshop. yet i ve been using blender and had technical difficulties all the time. most of them i could fix myself, but i ve been stuck on this problem for quite some time now:
    for my new item, it seems ingame grahics only use the color map (i created all the other maps, _normal, _mask1, _mask2). at least i want the normal map to work, like it does in blender.
    here are some pictures, from left to right:
    http://breunbug.deviantart.com/art/render-result-333359920?ga_submit=10%3A1350743607
    ingame graphics, rendering in blender with glsl, rendering in blender with multitexture

sry i got little experience with blender and dota 2
    any idea?
    id also like to know how to visualize mask1 and mask2 in blender
    thank u :)