• Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like a tshirt on a head
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    I can confirm that it looks like a tshirt on a head.

On a more serious note, it's probably too silly for Dota2 :S
  • Constructor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    way too silly.
  • Anonanon
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shoulders and armor of my Lycan's set. Also my first practice in hand-painted textures.
    RrC3C.jpg
  • ArchoX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, can someone extract please queen of pain mask1 and mask2? I did not find them in the file.
  • Xpload
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick question. I'm from Europe so I need to fill W-7 and W-8BEN, right?
  • damio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You don't have to, but they will hold 30% of your share if you don't do it.
  • Xpload
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ye, ye I get that. My point is that I don't need W-9, right?
  • damio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My bad. Yes, you only need to fill out W-7 and W-8BEN.
  • RaYfIre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Which hero will this fit ?
    z1n6B.jpg
    Head , can also be belt
    Just tried to fit it for BM. still have 200polys left, will make the hair if its good for him
    57W0U.png
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    RaYfIre wrote: »
    Which hero will this fit ?
    Head , can also be belt
    Just tried to fit it for BM. still have 200polys left, will make the hair if its good for him

i think you should think on the character before making the iten
    MrWolf wrote: »
    637x358.resizedimage

i thought you were making a joke but i just saw your item on the store, made laught a lot =]

---

ok guys, i think i finished the courier, in the end i called it Death Bringer

this one has 2 different flying cycles that starts randomlly every time you change its stats from idle to moving

hope you guys like it

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=102583080&searchtext=

637x358.resizedimage
    637x358.resizedimage
    637x358.resizedimage
  • Xpload
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The courier is awesome. Funny my sword is called Deathbringer's gift (in reference to Venomancer), http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=96027815
  • ionic
  • Bulldog42
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi. I want to enter for the polycount contest but was wondering if anyone could maybe mentor me? Perhaps help with my learning. I know basic modeling, I did alittle before. but nothing advanced like the texturing or advanced shapes etc.

and it was for tf2 when I did do it.

SO, If a kind soul would help me out, add me on steam. I'm willing to learn.

Steamid - Bulldawg42
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    @Tvidotto
    Great success! Also, I love the flying courier death animation ^^
  • MrWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrWolf polycounter lvl 9
    i'm gonna really serious work what make a armors for Bloodmother.
    but,now i just concept legs parts and have to design the head part and body part.
    by the way, some one ever saw these armor design?
    9ae5161097d2d1fe2bfaa09b1b93fa4b.jpg
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was not satisfied with my Temple Destroyer so i remade it so the particle is aligned the right point and other details/texture. Going to re-submit it later today when the particle file is complete.
    TjDfQ.png
    wXoV7.jpg
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnWIcmIp9Xk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnWIcmIp9Xk[/ame]
  • RaYfIre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys
    @Tvidotto Its soo good ,the weapons actually makes courier fit both the radiant and dire side.Nice texture.
    You where planing to add particles rite?

@ionic for a 1st item , its great:D

@Paskie
    Looks good in-game, but i think the staff has too much black part.

Need help iv never done painting weights before, the sword behind BM head is not sticking like the front mask.u cant notice it much in still img, in game the sword goes inside and come outside his back .
    c7OwG.pngKeTn9.png
    58LzA.png1E6cD.png
    and also i wanted to fill this gap which is covered buy the hair in the original model.so i just use a plane, this also floats around in-game , i want it always cover the gap.
    Blue->my mesh
    QkTCB.pngsMnf3.png
    9oVhe.pngIDGvU.png
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Hello! J4CK and I present our new set for Naga Siren! Cheers!

3021E5A439B4947AC8E094E65F585198A041449E
    LINK

*we removed the circlet from the set seeing how it is too small to really make much of a difference from the in game view, it would only really been seen from the portrait. We might create something different to fit the set in the future, but I believe we are just going to close this set out and work on our next project.

Also check out our last set for enigma, we never had the chance to post on polycount.

310F43E8FE8A059874C596C8C39DDF1AD33267FE
    LINK
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tvidotto

Great courier as expected.

I finally finished my other work, so I'm here for the 3 item contest. I so want to make a courier, but that will have to wait.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ RaYfIre, do you mean too much black on the render from maya (first pic) or the one from ingame?
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blades for a lycan. Part of set.
    pCOMK.jpg
  • RaYfIre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paskie wrote: »
    @ RaYfIre, do you mean too much black on the render from maya (first pic) or the one from ingame?

in-game, i think the older one was grey near the handle.Just change the texture near his hand.it still looks good:D

Btw can you start a thread on how to create particle and compile it in-game
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahoburg wrote: »
    Blades for a lycan. Part of set.
    pCOMK.jpg

I like that texture!
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaYfIre wrote: »
    in-game, i think the older one was grey near the handle.Just change the texture near his hand.it still looks good:D

Btw can you start a thread on how to create particle and compile it in-game

Alright! Ill change it back to a lighter grey, i took the same as his shoes on this one. I have been running into some unexpected problems with the particles. It seems like Valve may have put some block on the ability to change the particles. I cannot get my particles to show with the old way when i tried yesterday. I will go through the scripts again to check i have missed something. If i can get it to work again this week i'll do a tutorial with some pics or a video.
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    finished my first ever dota model. woohoo!

sparkles.jpg?t=1350384390
  • RaYfIre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright! Ill change it back to a lighter grey, i took the same as his shoes on this one. I have been running into some unexpected problems with the particles. It seems like Valve may have put some block on the ability to change the particles. I cannot get my particles to show with the old way when i tried yesterday. I will go through the scripts again to check i have missed something. If i can get it to work again this week i'll do a tutorial with some pics or a video.

Sure Thx. :D
  • Brodin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Concerning finished items and submitting them, I would really appreciate some help with this. What exactly are the files and data that need to be included? Valves page is rather contradictory on the matter.
    1. Concept: Come up with a good idea in words. Trust us, this is the hardest part.
    2. Design: Draw in 2D or 3D what it will actually look like.
    3. Model: Using a 3D program, create the clean polygon model that will actually be in the game.
    4. Pelt: Unwrap the 3D model like a bearskin rug (UVs) so you can texture map it.
    5. Paint: Using your UVs as a guide, pick a color. Paint a color. Repeat.
    6. Publish: Upload it to the steam workshop!
    From this quote from the official page I would assume that what is needed is the model files and the 4 related texture files for each item "color, normal, mask 1 and mask 2". However it does not mention binding the items to the model skeleton.
    On the other hand reading tech requirements for each hero it states the following
    LoD0 Polygon Limit: 700
    LoD1 Polygon Limit: 400
    Texture Size: 256H x 256W
    This model should primarily be bound to the bone: axe_1
    This of course contradictory to the previous statement that does not indicating that model files should be bound to the skeleton.

As you can understand I'm a bit confused about this, and would very much appreciate some clarification from some one knowledgeable on the subject
  • RoqueDemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon polycounter lvl 6
    This is my first attempt at concept art aaand it's not very good...

Anyway, here's a concept I cooked up today for a Juggernaut mask.
    rkom2.png

Thoughts?
  • yannage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything is looking sexy in hurr
  • fICHTARRR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, i'm currently working on a small set for Ogre Magi, inspired by the old robe and wizard hat meme. OM tried to put 'em on, but he or they failed.
    I'm pretty new to 3D and I have one problem i can't solve.

When I try to attach the mesh to the corresponding joints in modo, they are turned by 90° in Dota2.
    9Lk7y.jpg

I have to manually adjust them in Modo in polygon mode so they show up right in the game.
    Uh0KY.jpg

This only happens, when I have to extract the bones/meshes manually from the SMD. Since Modo does not have a way to import SMDs directly, I have to use Blender as a workaround. I import the smd to Blender, export it as a FBX, so i can work with the file in Modo. My guess is, that I screw up the axis orientation somehow, but I have no idea, how I can fix this. Any ideas?
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like that texture!
    thanks :) i like it too, i named it "grumpy emperor" myself, but im not sure how i will call it after i finish the set. Belt is almost done though :D
  • pie4all88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brodin wrote: »
    Concerning finished items and submitting them, I would really appreciate some help with this. What exactly are the files and data that need to be included? Valves page is rather contradictory on the matter.

From this quote from the official page I would assume that what is needed is the model files and the 4 related texture files for each item "color, normal, mask 1 and mask 2". However it does not mention binding the items to the model skeleton.
    On the other hand reading tech requirements for each hero it states the following

This of course contradictory to the previous statement that does not indicating that model files should be bound to the skeleton.

As you can understand I'm a bit confused about this, and would very much appreciate some clarification from some one knowledgeable on the subject

There's a nice importer tool that's built into the Dota 2 client, if you haven't seen that. If you hit "Customize" along the top bar, then "Workshop" on the sub-bar, you can publish a new item to preview how it would look in-game. All you need are the four texture files and the model (well, and a preview picture or two). You do need to bind the model to the skeleton, though, which should be included in the files Valve provides for each hero.
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    Hey, maybe you guys can help me with some technical issues I've been having on my outworld destroyer set... or maybe you can tell me that this idea is simply not possible at dota 2 texture resolutions, either answer would help.

I had an idea for armor that I thought was great but the 256x256 texture resolution and the compression algorithm is murdering me. I was going to make armor that looked like you were peering into space, pitch black with no rim-lighting or specular, and made the stars glitter using just a little bit of od's animated texture to make them appear to be changing color. It actually looks pretty cool but the texture resolution and also I believe the compression is killing it badly. Something about the compression algorithm likes to create a gradient or something between colors and it's making everything all blotchy and stretched. Basically all the stars get stretched out (even if they're only 1 pixel, tested it) and make the "sky" look more white than black.

Does anyone have any advice for how to get around this problem or should I toss the stars idea and do something else? Is this a dota 2 issue or something I need to learn about 3d modeling in general, I'm still fairly new to this.
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm choosing from Phantom Lancer, Phantom Assassin, and Spirit Breaker. I'm using Maya 2012 and I was wondering if anyone else on this board is using the same program. What I found interesting about the shader nodes was their connection to the vmt. I had to detach the vmt node to load up the diffuse and normal maps for preview. What was weird was when I brought in Phantom Assassin. She has some complex node relationships. I am still going to have to disconnect these nodes to get a preview going unless I made new nodes, but my question is if any of these shader networks are important for exporting to SMD. I feel like the qc file does all the work in that regard, but just curious about valve's shader networks.
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, maybe you guys can help me with some technical issues I've been having on my outworld destroyer set... or maybe you can tell me that this idea is simply not possible at dota 2 texture resolutions, either answer would help.

I had an idea for armor that I thought was great but the 256x256 texture resolution and the compression algorithm is murdering me. I was going to make armor that looked like you were peering into space, pitch black with no rim-lighting or specular, and made the stars glitter using just a little bit of od's animated texture to make them appear to be changing color. It actually looks pretty cool but the texture resolution and also I believe the compression is killing it badly. Something about the compression algorithm likes to create a gradient or something between colors and it's making everything all blotchy and stretched. Basically all the stars get stretched out (even if they're only 1 pixel, tested it) and make the "sky" look more white than black.

Does anyone have any advice for how to get around this problem or should I toss the stars idea and do something else? Is this a dota 2 issue or something I need to learn about 3d modeling in general, I'm still fairly new to this.
    use as much uv space as possible and i'm afraid there's not much of a freedom with 256x256 resolution. It's barbaric, but that's valve's silly rules.
    I've got a question, how did you made an animated texture for dota?
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    use as much uv space as possible and i'm afraid there's not much of a freedom with 256x256 resolution. It's barbaric, but that's valve's silly rules.

I didn't. Certain heroes like outworld destroyer, doom, and enigma all have animated textures already created for them and can be applied to any cosmetic for them by the red channel on mask1.

So there's no alternate compression method or anything I could use? I don't understand why I can make a 256x256 image that's all black with a single white pixel on it, but in-engine that single pixel will be stretched into like 15 pixels for what appears to be no reason.
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @mrpresident: have you tried increasing the pixel size per star? If so, then show us some pictures detailing the issue. Texture issues are best solved with photos (at least when I ask for help).

Also, unfortunately it seems that I broke my wings model (and now it won't export properly). The only one that compiles properly now is the original submission smd (which has serious weapon clipping issues)
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mark.N

Quality work.

What do people feel about going outside the color schemes setup by the original items? I feel like that is limiting. Are we able to go outside those schemes and has anyone had anything accepted that isn't sticking to what it already laid out?
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cont'd.

How acceptable is retexturing parts of the base mesh? For example: the base mesh texture has clothing that might not go with your items, so you might want to change it. Is that something valve accepts?
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know, I might have just figured the problem out, I relaxed/unfolded my UV's and while it's not perfect that helped a lot... I guess I was just making a noob mistake. Sorry to bother you all, I'll let you know if I have more trouble.
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, I need serious help! For some reason (now that I finished my wings), I get this error message every time I try to submit them. Is the workshop down/disabled or bugged? Or is this just me?
    duClJ.png
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That happens sometimes, servers crash, click around on other people's items in the workshop and you'll probably get the same error on half of em. Just wait for it to stop (probably in the next couple hours) then try submitting again.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SinAmos wrote: »
    I'm choosing from Phantom Lancer, Phantom Assassin, and Spirit Breaker. I'm using Maya 2012 and I was wondering if anyone else on this board is using the same program. What I found interesting about the shader nodes was their connection to the vmt. I had to detach the vmt node to load up the diffuse and normal maps for preview. What was weird was when I brought in Phantom Assassin. She has some complex node relationships. I am still going to have to disconnect these nodes to get a preview going unless I made new nodes, but my question is if any of these shader networks are important for exporting to SMD. I feel like the qc file does all the work in that regard, but just curious about valve's shader networks.

valve has a special shader that we dont have access, just use a normal lambert of phong to test yours, its the best we have =]

streteched texture im 99% sure that is an uv problem

resolution problem could be also a uv problem, post us you uv
    are you using mirrored uv like this one?
    m7WfE.jpg
    this is a 512 x 512 tex and the results are really good
    are you forcing the most important parts to be bigger on the uv?
    finished my first ever dota model. woohoo!

sparkles.jpg?t=1350384390

nice one, congrats!
    animated textures are the 5th texture (not color, normal, mask1 and 2) that you animate on the vtm file, that animation is used on the detail map to appear trought the texture
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starcofski wrote: »
    Guys, I need serious help! For some reason (now that I finished my wings), I get this error message every time I try to submit them. Is the workshop down/disabled or bugged? Or is this just me?
    duClJ.png

dont worry, that happens sometimes =]
  • Dr.cube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started on a set for Riki:
    XZNYA.jpg
    The limit on Riki's head is making it hard to keep a nice silhouette.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Not that it really matters since I'm sure every one is balls-deep in the Polycount contest but Razor's model just got added to the list.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Not that it really matters since I'm sure every one is balls-deep in the Polycount contest but Razor's model just got added to the list.
    No budgets and you can't download model now , so it's pretty useless now.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    My first contribution to the workshop :)
    268x268.resizedimage