Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Oroboros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does that mean now we should consider this in new items?

Some of the new heroes look weird, like sf and lifestealer. Also, what do you guys think will happen with undying and previous sets that had bones in it, like the tidehunter set and huskar set?

China got their own store because of these cultural issues, and I wouldn't be surprised if some sets are just missing because they dont work with the redesigns. It would be a good idea to keep this in mind going ahead.
  • ExpositionFairy
    Konras, Sukotto - thank you very much for help!
    Thank you for a detailed reply, I think I now know the direction in which I need to start working.
    You seem to have a much nicer community here than on some other forums, so I'm glad I decided to register :)
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Konras wrote: »
    @ExpositionFairy about the hipoly sculpting your friend must have something mistaken. For example ZBrush (most popular sculpting software) is 32-bit and don't support more than 4GB of ram as far as I know. Even if you would like to manualy model hipoly models in 3dmax/maya/blender 8GB of ram should be more than enought for dota2 model. 64GB is needed if someone would like to make super complex models for cinematics/movies in with transformers or pacific rim ammount of detail. Saying this you should not worry about your spec.

:thumbup: Completely correct. ZBrush is a x86 application so even on x64 machines it cannot address more than 4GB of ram on the system. Another point to make on ZBrush is that it will magically compress the memory, and can be done so manually. I don't remember the default but if you have lower resources I would recommend to lower this amount by at least 512. If you have 8 gigs of RAM than having it compress at 4096 should be fine as that leaves 4GB for the rest of the system. Large pools of RAM are only really necessary for video composting, compression, and large high resolution renders. And again welcome to Polycount :poly142:
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sCZxXQd.png

Ok guys sorry for not replying the messages about the ember set, this is the color version. I will see who will do it tomorrow!

Any suggestions?

Whats the plan for the sword blades? Others have posted that the particels are seperate in tests they did, and unless Valve will take care of it, it appears that the blade may need to be a part of the model as well
  • Palioseiras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ vertical

Try copy & pasting the output path instead of browsing to it.
    That fixed it for me..!
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    tumblr_mxytgj9EgZ1r43xj0o1_1280.png
    any suggestions on how to improve this?
  • MurathIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MurathIII polycounter lvl 5
    vertical wrote: »
    I did everything in that regard but as soon as I want to decompile the .mdl's, StudioCompiler crashes.

Hi, if you want to decompile a .mdl (for example "axe.mdl") you should modify the "axe.dx90.vtx" to "axe.dx80.vtx" that's all :)
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Just started a couple of swords for Mr. Ember today, this is the first and bigger...
    Looking at it now i feel i went a bit too noisy on the stone part, probably i'll flatten some of those areas tomorrow...opinions?

Edit: i forgot to mention...concept is by Hawt Koffee

Edit 2: I forgot to mention also that i did a full recording of the sculpt and i'll upload it in my youtube channel in a bit

NHvEHfh.jpg
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    just finished my emberspirit ifrit set concept:

emberspirit%20set%20Kopie.jpg
  • MagnoHusein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 wrote: »
    Whats the plan for the sword blades? Others have posted that the particels are seperate in tests they did, and unless Valve will take care of it, it appears that the blade may need to be a part of the model as well

I actually thought that the particles blades would be there anyway. If it's not I will probably rethink the design ( which I prefer to do atm :) )
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    Just finished up my scarab, thank god. There's no video yet, but there will be soon.
    37CF94C1A441EF32634D8EA6BF5A8760F90FC1B1
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Let's play a game, one of the designs in this image is not appropriate for DOTA 2, which is it? :D

A5dhukI.jpg

Also, that courier looks awesome, get that video up so I can see the animations! :thumbup:
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    i think its the nexon courier.
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    @Hudston - The texture res looks a tad low from that screen, but the concept is sooooo cute!

@Helenek - I guess Valve decided the ixmike face was just a step too far? He is kinda huge though (as is the nexon one).
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Oroboros wrote: »
    China got their own store because of these cultural issues, and I wouldn't be surprised if some sets are just missing because they dont work with the redesigns. It would be a good idea to keep this in mind going ahead.

They have their own stores? Does that mean thaat they have their own version of dota 2? Because there are some existing sets that will probably be censored like sacred bones set for huskar.

@helenek. Is it gama bros? In my opinion its the one that stands farthest out from the couriers. Or were you making a joke about CM stache
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    Wy8FPns.png
    some reworking things
    please give me something to go off you guys
  • Zalakzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belt is associated with ladies corset, maybe it just my pervert mind, dunno lol
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Hawt, I love it mate, looks Chinese, Romance of the Three Kingdoms inspired.

liu_bei_romance_of_the_three_kingdoma_evolution_02.jpg
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm wrote: »
    @Hudston - The texture res looks a tad low from that screen, but the concept is sooooo cute!

Thanks! I've tweaked the texture a bit. It's a bit lower res than I'd like, mainly because I've had to fit the beetle and the bag on the same texture space, but it's a lot sharper now.

I'm working on the video now but I need a bit of help. Does anyone know how DOTA Cinema does the death animation parts of their videos, where they have Sven come in and kill the courier? I think it'd look better than having the towers do it.
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Those are done after the couriers have been added to the game I think, so the death animation bug probably doesn't affect them.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Let's play a game, one of the designs in this image is not appropriate for DOTA 2, which is it? :D

Saw two REDDIT topics about it. In my opinion some hate is a consequence of how it was presented to ppl. I don't know if text: "Hello, I am currently 15 years old...I’ve already cut off my arms..." was appropriate for this. Because of that people don't know how to look onto this courier. If its an animal or some kind of hybrid/morphed human. For me this mix of features is the grain salt in most ppl eyes. Probably the easiest way to deal with this would be to remove the hair and glasses. For glasses look-like you could achieve this maybe with darker sports around eyes (similar to what some dogs have http://img2.etsystatic.com/000/0/5277608/il_170x135.185115046.jpg), however I don't know how it will look on walrus :p

I don't say that in any kind of negative form. Just an honest opinion. I hope you guys will sort this out somehow. I have my fingers crossed for your success!! I know how much work you guys have put into this, and how much stress it will now require to actually fix all of this. I hope you will return with your shield from this battle!!
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston wrote: »
    Thanks! I've tweaked the texture a bit. It's a bit lower res than I'd like, mainly because I've had to fit the beetle and the bag on the same texture space, but it's a lot sharper now.

I'm working on the video now but I need a bit of help. Does anyone know how DOTA Cinema does the death animation parts of their videos, where they have Sven come in and kill the courier? I think it'd look better than having the towers do it.

spawn a hero
    -createhero <hero> enemy

A workaround for your the double death animation tower bug.
    Konras wrote: »
    Saw two REDDIT topics about it. In my opinion some hate is a consequence of how it was presented to ppl. I don't know if text: "Hello, I am currently 15 years old...I’ve already cut off my arms..." was appropriate for this. Because of that people don't know how to look onto this courier. If its an animal or some kind of hybrid/morphed human. For me this mix of features is the grain salt in most ppl eyes. Probably the easiest way to deal with this would be to remove the hair and glasses. For glasses look-like you could achieve this maybe with darker sports around eyes (similar to what some dogs have http://img2.etsystatic.com/000/0/5277608/il_170x135.185115046.jpg), however I don't know how it will look on walrus :p

I don't say that in any kind of negative form. Just an honest opinion. I hope you guys will sort this out somehow. I have my fingers crossed for your success!! I know how much work you guys have put into this, and how much stress it will now require to actually fix all of this. I hope you will return with your shield from this battle!!

Of course, those are the changes we're looking into to, should hopefully get them fixed soon and we'll see how that goes. ixmikes presentation was a bit, vibrant to say the least. I honestly didn't see him doing that. :poly124:

It's also going to take a lot more for me to be stressed about this. We have a courier to deliever, aint nobody got time to be stressed. :thumbup:
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah Andrew if you fix those things I think it might have a chance at resurrection. Though I feel like it received a lot of negative feedback on the workshop because of the relation to ixmike and a lot of people seem to still be teeming with hate that the mustache CM set got in
  • Oroboros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto wrote: »
    Yeah Andrew if you fix those things I think it might have a chance at resurrection. Though I feel like it received a lot of negative feedback on the workshop because of the relation to ixmike and a lot of people seem to still be teeming with hate that the mustache CM set got in

Yeah this is a good learning experience honestly..I'd love to do a write up for other creators for pitfalls to avoid if you score work for 'clients' soon. Professional teams, companies, tournaments, etc- I think it would be a valuable resource for anyone getting into it for the first time.

Seeing that there is no set official procedure, a lot of people have had to be the guinea pigs with these risky projects.

The most worrisome part is that these people proceeded to downvote every single submission I had simply because of my name being on the submission, as well as making physical threats over email. I understand Valve wants us to listen to the community, but they tend to sometimes take things too far.

Nonetheless, we'll try and sort this out and keep moving on.
  • kendmd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah this is a good learning experience honestly..I'd love to do a write up for other creators for pitfalls to avoid if you score work for 'clients' soon. Professional teams, companies, tournaments, etc- I think it would be a valuable resource for anyone getting into it for the first time.

Seeing that there is no set official procedure, a lot of people have had to be the guinea pigs with these risky projects.

The most worrisome part is that these people proceeded to downvote every single submission I had simply because of my name being on the submission, as well as making physical threats over email. I understand Valve wants us to listen to the community, but they tend to sometimes take things too far.

Nonetheless, we'll try and sort this out and keep moving on.

Ouch.. Don't let those hate mails bring you down. Keep producing great work!

Although, IMO, that walrus courier does indeed need some fixes because to be honest, the current design isn't very appealing to me. I think the main problem is just having a human face on a walrus, making it look very bizarre and awkward.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah it's hilarious yet very very concerning how far some of these players take things. One comment on the Walrus basically called Mike a piece of shit who never deserves to get another item in game. When my Chaos Knight helm got in the International Chest it was at 5 stars then everyone hated it and down voted it back to 4 stars. I mean it was already in game so it didn't matter but some players get so personally offended about stuff.
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto wrote: »
    Yeah it's hilarious yet very very concerning how far some of these players take things. One comment on the Walrus basically called Mike a piece of shit who never deserves to get another item in game. When my Chaos Knight helm got in the International Chest it was at 5 stars then everyone hated it and down voted it back to 4 stars. I mean it was already in game so it didn't matter but some players get so personally offended about stuff.

It's this kind of reaction that makes me actually wince whenever I post any of my work to reddit. The community there can be vicious.

I've been unscathed so far, but I never want to get on their bad side.
  • Mr.Paradoxic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys ! Long time workshop lurker here.
    I wanted to post some WIP for my new `mystery` item. You guess what the nature of this item will be !

34jen87.png
  • Godzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Godzy polycounter lvl 6
    Just finished the high poly for the Gyro rocket. Unfortunately I could't go for more crazy shapes (towards the end at least) since the lod0/1 are 300/200 =(

MnUTMdZ.png
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    inline_yearofthehorse.jpg
    With Wraith-Night now well underway, we want to put out a call to any artists who would like participate, through the Dota 2 Workshop, in our next big event. A new event is coming to Dota 2 at the end of January, and we are looking for submissions that draw on visual themes from the Chinese New Year, Chinese history, and springtime. Be sure to mark your submissions using the “Spring2014″ tag when placing your items on the Workshop. For everyone else, the best way to help is to visit the Workshop often and vote for which items you’d like to see in Dota. All submissions must be on the Workshop by January 15th. Good luck, and have fun!

http://blog.dota2.com/2013/12/become-a-part-of-the-next-dota-2-event/

Some good stuff coming up!
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    belkun wrote: »

Hmm, I'll have fun this xmas!
  • MagnoHusein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chinese new year? yissssss
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun wrote: »

My wife is already updating the Pintrest board
    http://www.pinterest.com/bunnyparty/dota-2-workshop-inspiration/

So much more work to do now... WOOT!!!! :poly142:
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    They should have call it 'Lunar New Year' instead of 'CHINESE New Year', China is not the only country celebrates Lunar New Year...
  • foxclover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im sure they're specifically targeting Chinese new year though, with the brand new opening of the chinese store. Do other cultures share the zodiac/year of the horse?

I'm pretty excited! I love Chinese new year. The deadline of January 15th might be a little rushed though, with the holidays in between. @_@ If anyone would like to collab, please hit me up! I can do textures, concepts, promo art, and loading screens!
  • Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13

yeh that would be an interesting read!

new event O__O looks goood! im on-board!
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - Added Legion Commander to the workshop.
    - Updated workshop files for Dazzle, Dragon Knight, Bloodseeker, Broodmother and Batrider that include separated fbx and smd files.

AWWW YEA! Leigion Commander has become one of my favorites, shes a total douchebag and I love her.
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @foxclover: yeah we do share the same lunar calendar and although China use Rabbit in their zodiac, we use Cat instead, but basically it's still almost the same zodiac.

Though it is not that big of a problem, i still feel kinda awkward working for something that celebrate only 'their' holiday but not mine :(

ps: sorry for my broken english xD
  • 7thBattery
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

Been quiet for a while, but just submitted my Viking-themed Dragon Knight set.

Don't really do this, but could use all the love I can get on this one. It's looking like this one will be a tough road to ho on the workshop.

C92B7CE0C23452824E008F9E33EE1075871165A6
  • kendmd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    I thought it was a Beastmaster set.. o_o

Maybe if you add more reds to parts of the armor it'll read better as a DK set. Have you tried tinting the furs so they're more red? I love the concept and modeling though, very cool.
  • Mr.Paradoxic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Quockhanhlk: Agree, they should have called it the chinese new year, since MANY other cultures, countries use lunar years. We cant blame them for wanting material for their new china store, but this is a slight subtlety to prevent some dissatisfaction from the dota 2 community.

ALSO ! I have new WIP for my mistery item ! this time, lets see if i can get some feedback.

rlj5nn.png
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like some kind of statue or a head of a staff i guess?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Finished this Lion set with Slime just before the blog post by Valve on the update next month. What nice timing.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=205264924

4ECD59D677F5D34ED5246AC16AAC256FC18831F5
  • Mr.Paradoxic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like some kind of statue or a head of a staff i guess?

close, but not quite :D

Freaky S**t is gonna hit the workshop soon :D
  • Bernoully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bernoully polycounter lvl 4
    New Reliquary in! Congrats to those whose items got in:

5Ri66.jpg

Is Xin's Salakot made by Valve staff? I don't recall it seeing anywhere on the Workshop.
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG Guys!! they added my item, they adeed my item!!!!! damn i'am crying!!! i'am so happy!!! OMG!!!
  • foxclover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7thbattery: The promo art for that set makes me think of omniknight first. Kendmd's suggestion would work well, I think. Maybe if the fur's shadows were tinted red instead of blue/purple, it would read more dragon knight? I'm impressed you could get so much detail into the low poly space

That ck mount is fantastic! Grats to those who got in. The drow cape looks pretty good too, can't wait to gtet them. ^__^

edit: Oh yes, grats prosmology on your first item! You've really come a long way from where you started - your sculpting and modeling skills have improved so much.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prosomogy wrote: »
    OMG Guys!! they added my item, they adeed my item!!!!! damn i'am crying!!! i'am so happy!!! OMG!!!

Congratulations my friend! I remember when you first started on the workshop, haha! Don't stop now, you need to get your second item in the game now! But seriouslly, you've come miles since you started on the workshop, fantastic job! :thumbup:
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Finished this Lion set with Slime just before the blog post by Valve on the update next month. What nice timing.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=205264924

4ECD59D677F5D34ED5246AC16AAC256FC18831F5

fangirling.gif
  • crucial
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

They say to add the "Spring2014" tag when submitting an item for the new years event.

How do you add a tag to an item?

Sorry, probably a noob question!

• crucial
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

They say to add the "Spring2014" tag to submissions for the new years event. How do we add tags when submitting items?

Sorry for the noob question!