Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• alexxrafael
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Tyn wrote: »
    I forgot what I initially wanted to ask. That axe blade I submitted is doing a lot better than I had anticipated. However I didn't upload any promo to go with it though. Is this something I ought to fix?

The promo pic is basically to help you get views and votes and doesn't matter once your item gets added into the game, so if it's performing up to your expectations there's no actual need to put in a promo pic.
  • 7thBattery
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm wrote: »
    The promo pic is basically to help you get views and votes and doesn't matter once your item gets added into the game, so if it's performing up to your expectations there's no actual need to put in a promo pic.
    That's not really true.

The ability to upload promo pics was added so Valve could use them on the store page after they'd been accepted (until then they'd been making the store promo pics themselves). And if it gets promoted on the front page with a promo pic it will definitely help your sales.

So if this thing has a chance of being accepted, and I think it does because it's pretty awesome, yes upload a promo pic, in my opinion.
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7thBattery wrote: »
    That's not really true.

The ability to upload promo pics was added so Valve could use them on the store page after they'd been accepted (until then they'd been making the store promo pics themselves). And if it gets promoted on the front page with a promo pic it will definitely help your sales.

So if this thing has a chance of being accepted, and I think it does because it's pretty awesome, yes upload a promo pic, in my opinion.

I don't believe that makes uploading a promo pic necessary - because if Valve intends to promote it on the front page they'll still create a promo pic for you. They did one for Coyo.te's Frozen Stein item for the polycount chest for e.g., and imo that promo pic suits the game better than some of the custom promo pics for the same polycount chest.

So... from what I can see it's up to whether you want control of the promo pic or not. It may be a good option to not upload one if you believe Valve could do something better.

I'm not entirely sure what their policy is on making promo pics for others though, so there's always a good chance I'm just completely wrong and they won't make promo pics unless an item is a special exception.
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    I think if you are uploading a set it's become commonplace now to upload a promotional image to go along with it. Single items, generally, don't use one but the last few chests have had promotional images made by valve for the individual items. I've had promotional images made by Valve for items I have had in chests previously.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Also it's not guaranteed your item will be promoted even if it is in the chest just FYI.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Polypaint mask progress.

ZvZpRW5.jpg
  • Tyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tyn polycounter lvl 10
    Hey guys, thanks for the info! I decided i'd go ahead and make some promo art mainly because I need the experience and i'll run into it sooner or later anyway.

@Vayne4800: The horns definitely look better! I like the direction it's going.
  • Godzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Godzy polycounter lvl 6
    finished sculpting the Orb of Venom flail:

C7O09jO.png
  • balsagoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you guys think? (My first model&texture ever) Look so cruddy compared to the work that's being put our here. I cant texture for jack.

It's a walrus tusk mitten.2a95h6h.jpg
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isn't it more reasonable to flip the tusks?
  • balsagoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought about it but I preferred to have the blunt end out. I think the blunt head fits the walrus punch better then to have the tusks "pierce" the target.
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP of my axe's axe (my first time using zbrush for a item)
    kyj6.jpg
    nm0w.jpg
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Tyn wrote: »
    Ok, I dread critting people. But here goes. Remember this is just my humble opinion and stuff. No offense meant.

@Ghostdetector - I think that your spear lacks a defining silhouette. It doesn't read very well in game. Perhaps exaggerating some of the shapes would help.

Thanks for the critism, I don't mind any critisim that is constructive. That said, I took your advice and scaled a the sides a little and fliped the spear so it faced up.

Changes:
    -end added fire like paint
    -more war paint
    -flipped spear.

fpTRlCO.png

More comments plase:poly122:
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    @motenai - Simply amazing and beautiful work as usual

@Neox - These are looking great!

@cagdasx44 - you should get in the habit of never using the default red mat cap, it can and will lie to you. Personally I just use the mat cap grey.

Hopefully I will be far enough with my sculpt tonight to share what I just started the other night :poly136:
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 wrote: »

@cagdasx44 - you should get in the habit of never using the default red mat cap, it can and will lie to you. Personally I just use the mat cap grey.

Thx ı will change it
  • Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rowinish polycounter lvl 8
    Finally got some more time to work on this. Not too sure about the cape thingy, and I still want to work on the polypaint and add some details.

I'd love some crits!

10748885373_0db008901f_o.png
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Holy shit that hair is damn beautiful, good job man! the cape thing sort of ruins the very elegant look the rest of the set has. I would suggest changing it for something else :)
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rowinish: There seems to be part of Spectre on her. I would worry about that in ingame view.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    http://www.heroesofthestorm.com

I was pretty sceptical about this at first but I actually think it's looking quite nice, I wonder if Blizzard would ever consider entering the workshop style of item creation. They are definitely adding character customization so it's a possibility!
  • sadies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice one, Rownish! She looks gnarly beautiful. It might be kinda cool imo to leave her back more bare since the neck piece is so interesting. You could incorporate that back ribbon as a separate accent element to the skirt perhaps?
  • Fewes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fewes polycounter lvl 8
    Evening quickie.

DC0C72F3BF549591A6B81C69EF758054F36ABDC0

Workshop.

Now to go eat something before I pass out.
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rowinish wrote: »
    Finally got some more time to work on this. Not too sure about the cape thingy, and I still want to work on the polypaint and add some details.

Yeah, I definitely see Spectre in that dress unfortunately - the arrangement and shapes are nigh identical to Spec's skirt, if not the colours. Looking forward to see what you do with that sash running down her back, maybe a few elegant folds would do the trick.
    MdK wrote: »
    I was pretty sceptical about this at first but I actually think it's looking quite nice, I wonder if Blizzard would ever consider entering the workshop style of item creation. They are definitely adding character customization so it's a possibility!

Just saw the cinematic trailer for this one. My main thought was, "I don't recall Nova being that pretty in SC2" :P
    Fewes wrote: »
    Evening quickie.

Now to go eat something before I pass out.

Really nice! I really liked your windrunner set, though I thought the bow was a weak piece there. Maybe if they ever add it this one could replace that bow ;)
  • SemiColonThree
    To be quite honest, the gameplay of Heroes of the Storm looked more interesting and fluid than dota 2 and league of legends, the graphics were much better, and it has ragdoll. but I doubt that the game will become more popular, because they arrived way too late to the party.
  • Prophet9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    I'm sorry. I'm not one to do this usually...
    But...
    Really?
    dota_item_roshan_hunter__gleague_bundle_large.7aad971a0686bfcd7b06afb8a2393114dc5540ef.png

So much for dat Valve Art Guide.
  • SemiColonThree
    Prophet9 wrote: »
    But...
    Really?
    dota_item_roshan_hunter__gleague_bundle_large.7aad971a0686bfcd7b06afb8a2393114dc5540ef.png

imo borderline acceptable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANg-sIltXXo

The in game views are not as noisy as the store pictures.
  • SemiColonThree
    What bugs me tho, is that g-league stole the Ursa Roshan hunter concept from a workshop submission that was already in exsistence.

3A14B2C3775F1F39B2610397BDD2F98896F4CC5A
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    What bugs me tho, is that g-league stole the Ursa Roshan hunter concept from a workshop submission that was already in exsistence.

3A14B2C3775F1F39B2610397BDD2F98896F4CC5A

Roshan, the Aegis and Usra are all tied very much together. Anyone who plays DOTA knows a roshan themed cosmetic fits Ursas lore and gameplay perfectly. And those designs are very different from one another. I don't think it's fair to accuse anyone of theft.

Although, I do like that design more then the one that did get in with g-league.
  • SemiColonThree
    u bring up good points

at first glance and thought, i thought the whole rosh ursa set was a one of a kind idea, but come to think of it, other people wouldve came up w/ it anyways.

Roshan, the Aegis and Usra are all tied very much together. Anyone who plays DOTA knows a roshan themed cosmetic fits Ursas lore and gameplay perfectly. And those designs are very different from one another. I don't think it's fair to accuse anyone of theft.

Although, I do like that design more then the one that did get in with g-league.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    those asians love bright lights to much for me european :(
  • Tyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tyn polycounter lvl 10
    I was pretty surprised too. The one that got in is so noisy and loud and you don't really see what going on. While the one that didn't get in is simple and gets the point across really well.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just relized that my spear is not receiving light, do you know the problem?
    aHih8gA.png
    Both spears have the same lighting.

Also update on my brew staff
    3a9zRXk.png

Ingame test

Day:
    lBwO0jG.png

Night:
    iEp5e6l.png
  • 7thBattery
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    But...
    Really?

This doesn't reach the level of the penguin in my opinion, but it's a close second i'm afraid...i can't believe they are still adding these things through tournaments...i mean, the dota 2 scene right now is FULL of talented artist with very nice models and sets, seeing torunaments going with these things shouldn't be counter productive? And still it's the most sold in the Store... i don't know, i feel this is a bit of an insult to people that push their quality to the max to get their things in the game...but of course this is only an opinion.
  • Chemical Alia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    But...
    Really?

Well, if these pro teams want to go cheap with art and look like scrubs as result, that's their prerogative. It would be nice if they were held to the same standards as any other set, though. Having to go through feedback before getting in or the possibility of getting rejected outright would push them to seek out more professional work.

Anyway, I could sure use a little help.

I have started working on a baba yaga-inspired courier with Drywall. Any feedback on the color scheme to help me finalize the concept would be greatly appreciated. c:

babayaga_colors_by_chemicalalia-d6tl986.png
  • Prophet9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    Isn't one of the defining characteristics of Baba Yaga her house on a chicken leg that hops around?

tumblr_lp5m2sz5Pi1qk96fpo1_500.jpg

Maybe instead of a cauldron, she could be riding a platform/hut/chicken leg, haha :)
    I like the top right color scheme - or the bottom right if the first is too muted.

Nice idea!
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    motenai wrote: »
    This doesn't reach the level of the penguin in my opinion, but it's a close second i'm afraid...i can't believe they are still adding these things through tournaments...i mean, the dota 2 scene right now is FULL of talented artist with very nice models and sets, seeing torunaments going with these things shouldn't be counter productive? And still it's the most sold in the Store... i don't know, i feel this is a bit of an insult to people that push their quality to the max to get their things in the game...but of course this is only an opinion.

exactly my thoughts... i think the way this stuff is handled right now is very far from fair.

i feel like i am throwing shit at the wall and hope something sticks, while those tournament guys just go through the back entry.

on the baba yaga courier, i´d definetly go with the least colorfull top right one.
  • foxclover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te wrote: »
    those asians love bright lights to much for me european :(

Casual racism here. Imagine generalizing the entire western art scene - no, the entire european race - by looking at the items popping out from netolic (Penguin courier) or weplay (beaver courier).
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7thBattery wrote: »

Thanks I kind of messed that up when I edited directly from my tga folder and photoshop didn't preserve the alpha channel when I opened it.

New updates on the item but can someone explain why there are different colors depending on the angle.

z06jDvb.png
  • fx01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pedobear got even more ugly oooouuuuh *fail valve*
  • Drywall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -snip- damn cellphones, hard to see if you're editing or replying
  • Drywall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, if these pro teams want to go cheap with art and look like scrubs as result, that's their prerogative. It would be nice if they were held to the same standards as any other set, though. Having to go through feedback before getting in or the possibility of getting rejected outright would push them to seek out more professional work.

Anyway, I could sure use a little help.

I have started working on a baba yaga-inspired courier with Drywall. Any feedback on the color scheme to help me finalize the concept would be greatly appreciated. c:

babayaga_colors_by_chemicalalia-d6tl986.png

I feel like the top right is the correct way to go. A lot of what we normally do is pretty brightly colored, and this would let us get something really cool and kinda dark. Baba Yaga flies in a mortar and pestle. The chicken house would be a great stand alone courier though
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    I really like the bottom left version, colorful enough but not too much, has enough contrast to make all the parts appear distinclty.
  • Oroboros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    w4xxGqF.jpg
    Workshop Link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=193155051&searchtext=

Spent the last week working on a new HUD called 'Demonic Presence.' It was quite a challenge, especially putting it together in Valve's complex template files, but it was satisfying to get it working in game. Check it out on the workshop. A second pass is already planned, addressing the size of some spikes, as well as adding some green underglow lighting.

TIf47N1.jpg
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    nice work that hud is baller
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    motenai: 100% agree on the ursa set concerns:)
    Oroboros : I think it would look way nicer if you could make the spikes a little less the same size ,It feels like to much repetition in some areas imo
  • Blender2Dota
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've already said my piece about the workshop - the result is a forum and workshop name change and a negative karma rating on reddit :) At the end of the day I just resolved not to think about it. The fact that the workshop has motivated me to work harder at art is the best thing about it.

I submitted a new staff for KOTL.
    80bi.jpg
  • Drywall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai wrote: »

No, you're right, it's insulting. If Valve would publicly reject one of these sets instead of greenlighting them without a second look, maybe we would get better items, and it would make me much happier with their quality assurance.

Basically, if the workshop has a consistent level of quality, it is better for all of us in the long run.
  • Oroboros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu wrote: »
    motenai: 100% agree on the ursa set concerns:)
    Oroboros : I think it would look way nicer if you could make the spikes a little less the same size ,It feels like to much repetition in some areas imo

Hey Mihal, thanks for the feedback..will address the repetition you were talking about.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished up my Juggernaut set!

400x400.resizedimage