Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Pundt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finishing up my first item for submission. I have made several attempts at making item sets/ items before but never really followed through with any of them. This one is definitely not perfect but I figure I have to start somewhere. Any feedback would be much appreciated.
    Modeled in ZBrush and Textured using Photoshops handy obj texturing.
    n9kWhuo.jpg
    n9kWhuo
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    I kind of want to rig this to view in the dota 2 client but I don't know how. Can somebody help me?
    cCzxghV.png

well if somebody does want to help me,
    Here is my thread or just pm me.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1905775#post1905775
  • Jalcober
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10
    Prosomogy wrote: »
    don't know, i try change mask 2, i made all channels black and white point on alpha channel, same whis mask 1, and its only help, so i think that its realy problem whis mask 2 but its strange that i try add details and can't nothing to do whis masks maybe i doing something bad or what, i used some like same mask like in armor...
    maybe its problem whis textures ?:/
    Its how look like whis same mask2 like mask1
    S5uznZOXk2E.jpg

You should be using the edgesplit modifier to make the edges where the uv is mirrored split.
  • clearroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone,

I updated my courier submission a few days ago. I appreciate any kind of feedback/opinions on it.

Magic Carpet Courier

308AF9371AC87D65A2626018C7A10F2A73810336
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx you guys for answer! i fix problem :) problem was with red and green cannels in mask 2
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    It is spelled "with", not "whis"!!! It salts me up every time.
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    It is spelled "with", not "whis"!!! It salts me up every time.
    oh sorry i think that i write correct, thx for corrected me in next time i will know how write it correct :) i from Ukraine so my English sometime so bad =c
  • Asi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asi
    Should i stop working on this hook? Can it have some future?
    1g6GV.jpeg
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asi wrote: »
    Should i stop working on this hook? Can it have some future?
    1g6GV.jpeg

You can still pull it off. Just re-texture it. You have the shape, you just need to work on it some more(paint diffuse, make normals, make the masks).

Dota 2 items aren't very detailed because you won't be able to see the details from far. If you want the red line, you would need to make it bigger. Loose the very detailed cracks and just paint the colors.
  • Tomus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomus polycounter lvl 5
    What do you think guys ? Should i allso do the horns? Anyway, im close to finish this so i would love some feedback, thx :icon60:
    7CjGFke.jpg
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Hey mates, good news! Now, for eveyone who gots this error popping out, you gotta get back in your 3D software, select all objects and assign them one material. The importer now won't let you import if you've got multiple materials.

Also, if any of you still got broken portraits on your couriers/wards/summons, report them here with the name of your item/screenshot. Thanks!
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey mates, good news! Now, for eveyone who gots this error popping out, you gotta get back in your 3D software, select all objects and assign them one material. The importer now won't let you import if you've got multiple materials.

Also, if any of you still got broken portraits on your couriers/wards/summons, report them here with the name of your item/screenshot. Thanks!

I just had that error! It was resolved by re-exporting the selected mesh (I exported my entire scene instead of just one object)

The import to Dota 2 works (it compiles correctly), but my item is invisible... Why is this happening?
    Does it have something to do with rigging? If so, how would I rig properly?
    Does it have something to do with scale? How do I fix it?
    Here is a pic, if necessary.
    q7MBvqn.png

I used blender.

PM me if you want to help, or whatever
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just had that error! It was resolved by re-exporting the selected mesh (I exported my entire scene instead of just one object)

The import to Dota 2 works (it compiles correctly), but my item is invisible... Why is this happening?
    Does it have something to do with rigging? If so, how would I rig properly?
    Does it have something to do with scale? How do I fix it?
    Here is a pic, if necessary.
    q7MBvqn.png

I used blender.

PM me if you want to help, or whatever
    You checked the alpha? Normals? Rig it to the root bone and see if it shows
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You checked the alpha? Normals? Rig it to the root bone and see if it shows

By alpha,do you mean alpha channel? I've looked at all my textures and all of the maps have some things of it(except detail and fresnel). All of my normals face outwards. I don't know if I rigged correctly, nor do I know how to check. I was told just to put the bone on the center of the mesh (I didn't do that, i put it at the center of the hilt.)

Update---

I just tried parenting to the already existing root bone thing on the 6k slark model(I deleted the slark model as well as the other bones I didn't need. It didn't work.

My model doesn't have its own bone, it connects straight to the root bone.

There was also another issue with me where I could never see juggernaut's sword when I played a game. Maybe this is the problem?

Update---

I found this error when I imported it to dota. I'm surprised that it told me that the import was successful even with the error.

Error in FBX Conversion: - "Zero skin weights on one or more vertices"

I don't know what this means...
  • Tomus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomus polycounter lvl 5
    *nvm it works now*

have anyone tried binding pugna's horns recently? Because no matter if i bind it to head.0 or head.1 (which it should be) it ends up like this (ignore the texture):
    amjiopg.png
    also it seems that they are moving with the root bone. If anyone have encountered and solved similar behavior i would appreciate help. Thx
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done nyx set, concept by Mr.Scrake. Its my first work with set :D Comment please :)
    ilbRiIIyKy0.jpg
    jGgUXHko8J0.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Done nyx set, concept by Mr.Scrake. Its my first work whis set :D Comment please :)

WITH, NOT WHIS!

It came out pretty well. As people were saying when you were working on it a while ago though, the wings look like poop. They have such a harsh edge. You should sculpt in a soft edge or something around them so it doesn't just look like the triangles end there.

Just finished these Dark Seer goggles with Slimeface.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=173183841

784FFD5597DE17B3E7764A6F5700E1FDF87439CC
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    WITH, NOT WHIS!

It came out pretty well. As people were saying when you were working on it a while ago though, the wings look like poop. They have such a harsh edge. You should sculpt in a soft edge or something around them so it doesn't just look like the triangles end there.
    Thx you for corrected me! also nice item you made:) about wings, ye first screen are old :) second screen i update with new better wings :) forget change first screen so ;)
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    I did a search on this and I know this has probably been asked before but what is a good tutorial or guide to get your armor set loaded into Dota 2 Test so that you can take screenshots of the set without the terrible compression you get from using the more standard methods? Like I know it involves replacing the original model files of a hero with the new set.

I'll ask Enodmi tomorrow at work but he left out some details that is making me very confused and all the tutorials I have found seem to be old tutorials when things were much more complex to do anything.
  • Vextrakt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, first time submitting multiple items. I'm trying to submit a new set, is there a way to submit them all at once or do I need to submit one at a time and group them on the workshop site?
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    You should submit one at a time, then add all of them to a collection.
  • Vextrakt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only one submission should have the marketing psd though right?
  • JeremyKlein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JeremyKlein polycounter lvl 6
    here is a Texture WIP on the Bristleback. Its in max so things look a littel bit different than they do in game.
    Jklein_Texture_WIP_01.jpg

I'm in middle of skining this guy... ...man i hate skinning things :poly127:

I still need to make a weapon, but i have a design in mind.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is a Texture WIP on the Bristleback. Its in max so things look a littel bit different than they do in game.
    Jklein_Texture_WIP_01.jpg

I'm in middle of skining this guy... ...man i hate skinning things :poly127:

I still need to make a weapon, but i have a design in mind.

That looks great! It'll probably get in. For the weapon, I think it should follow the bracers (layered and have the spikes come from the sides)

Also, in my opinion, the nose horn thing is kind of weird. I would've made it similar to how you made the tips of the bracers.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow wrote: »
    I did a search on this and I know this has probably been asked before but what is a good tutorial or guide to get your armor set loaded into Dota 2 Test so that you can take screenshots of the set without the terrible compression you get from using the more standard methods? Like I know it involves replacing the original model files of a hero with the new set.

I'll ask Enodmi tomorrow at work but he left out some details that is making me very confused and all the tutorials I have found seem to be old tutorials when things were much more complex to do anything.
    http://www.workshophatemachine.com/2013/07/11/zbrush-rendering/
  • Vextrakt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, SLIMEface and I just finished this. Let us know what you think :)

Creations of the Unraveler by Vextrakt
    Concept by SLIMEface

600x327.resizedimage
  • Pundt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That Bristleback looks Dope! Really like the way its turning out. I do think the red armor could have more of a gradient on it so it would be more saturated towards the needles. Looking forward to an update on that.

Really digging the colors on the weaver. The splash image is kind of throwing me off though, it looks too gritty for a Dota 2 preso. Still like the way it turned out in game though.

Just submitted my first item. Any crits or feedback would be cool. Looking to improve as much as I can for the next one.
    GyIuf92.jpg
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=173254738
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    @Jeremy: That Bristleback set is looking really great!

I finially finished my Witch Doctor set, changed most of the textures so it looks better. Only need to make some nice screenshots and I'm finially done after more than 6 Months :s Also Trying to make a ward for this set, only it seems u can't import the summon directly in the workshop so I will try and import it manually.

0KBrSZb.jpg

qcPf2tJ.jpg
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys , just finished a windrunner bow , check it out if you want:D

workshop link :
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=173394070

1149A662A69CE33E3D0977539393353E89753BAB
    F5C8E860E7B73A99B62B849417B669BD8E431740
    DCFC596D80673CF6D24C72815BA987AF66015B9E
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Finally finished updating the His Unholiness set I had originally done for the contest.

Workshop Link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=111307271

Y3NtXwm.jpg
  • Pundt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So something buggered up while uploading my item. I dont know how or why but Windrunner is showing up for my Witch Doctor item. Was wondering if there was a way to change this without deleting my original sub. Tried editing it in game but the update is not carrying over. Also was wondering if this really matters in terms of submission viability?
    sn3QGcM.jpg
  • llSANDKINGll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helm of the SlyrakArmor Set by lllSANDKINGlll

38891E6144EE904F43A421318C40E3BB2BD2DA81
  • llSANDKINGll
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YEY we done set:) We hope you like it :3
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=173675196
    Concept icons and art by Mr.Scrake
    mrscrake_1377712119.jpg
  • llSANDKINGll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shoulders of The Slyrak Armor Set by lllSANDKINGlll

FB2F7A1AF2BCC16A57DE3F44ED737303AFDA6402
  • llSANDKINGll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guys what do u think? dk needs a tail for his skirt? :)
    B9D9A08400E425AF4E293E6077A54191984058B3
  • llSANDKINGll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Slyrak Armor Set by lllSANDKINGlll

AB7F10AD5419A7119712E6449FF6C2848350A26A
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    @lllSANDKINGlll:

The texture is inadequate for the game style. If you take some time to study a bit the texture sheets of the characters, you'll see that you should give a 'painted' feel to it, you should also explore the default hero color pallete better.

Moreover, it's noisy and look detached from the actual model. The model shape is rather good, but too angular, you should look forward to adding more vertices in key areas, so the silouette won't look so blocky.

Try adding border details to add contrast to the different pieces, so it reads better ingame.

You also need to work on the masks, they aren't set properly.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We hope you like it :3
    Not really. The colors are flat and the values are blending with the default. Ladybug look is not menacing at all, which should be avoided for the hero as dangerous as Nyx.
    The masks are flat and too even, completely losing any advanteage they could give. And somehow the shape is really close to the default, without the interesting bits. Lack of kneearmor upsets me personally, and overall it feels uninspired lobster with some wings slapped on.
    The Slyrak Armor Set by lllSANDKINGlll
    As Rubus said, textures are something. You should drop all those overlayed photos and use some flat colors first, then bake some maps and apply them on top. If you don't know how to do that, you can read up here http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=149270397#89732
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bhaANpJ.png

I want some comments before I publish this. I'm not sure if I should be the one compiling because my computer cant run dota 2 in the best quality. So this screenshot is from my computer quality.

Item
    Essence of the Deep

-Blue stuff = essence
    -It's red because most creatures that live in darkness cannot see red. So they won't be able the see the blade from far
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    Can someone please help me out? I need the decompiled earthshaker model as FBX or OBJ. The current one got scale issues and i can't open SMD's in Maya.

edit: Vlad saved the day!
  • Pundt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bhaANpJ.png

I want some comments before I publish this. I'm not sure if I should be the one compiling because my computer cant run dota 2 in the best quality. So this screenshot is from my computer quality.

Item
    Essence of the Deep

-Blue stuff = essence
    -It's red because most creatures that live in darkness cannot see red. So they won't be able the see the blade from far

Looking at your wip of this I would definitely find a way to do a max settings render. There is a world of difference between what you posted on your thread and what you can make out here. Also I would push a gradient or change of colors to draw the eye to a specific point. It doesn't have to be anything crazy just enough to break up that flat look. I really like the shape of it and looking at all the concepting you put into it. Gl.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pundt wrote: »
    Looking at your wip of this I would definitely find a way to do a max settings render. There is a world of difference between what you posted on your thread and what you can make out here. Also I would push a gradient or change of colors to draw the eye to a specific point. It doesn't have to be anything crazy just enough to break up that flat look. I really like the shape of it and looking at all the concepting you put into it. Gl.

I used dota 2 test for this test, and my dota 2 original client for the first one. I also re-textured it, because I thought it was blurry due to the size of the blue stuff.

um3iC9e.png

Last preview before I post this to the workshop. Any comments?

Just to be clear, can I use Handplane3d (free version) for Steam Workshop? I read somewhere that I can, but I don't remember where I read it.
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    oh that looks a lot better
  • [Square]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a few concepts, if you're interested add me.

FaclessVoidhead1.png
    GelatinousCourier.jpg
  • nights-x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Square] wrote: »

FaclessVoidhead1.png
    GelatinousCourier.jpg

cool courier but i would say make the ground one like a sort of snail of some kind, those legs just dont work lol
  • Tomus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomus polycounter lvl 5
    [Square] wrote: »

GelatinousCourier.jpg

that courier would be awesome, but just as was said, those legs dont really match the theme. Look at this creature from WoW for inspiration on movement (sort of like worms move) http://www.wowwiki.com/Sewage_Slime
    or even better if it just rolls over ;-) On the other note, can couriers have alpha? If not i dont see a way to make this :/
  • Pusstolio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We have 2 shoulders we have to choose from, (take note, dont look at textures) please give us some input :) TY

OPTION 1

[IMG][/img]ScreenShot2013-08-29at123057PM_zps699b64b7.png

[IMG][/img]ScreenShot2013-08-29at123049PM_zpsf01f663f.png

[IMG][/img]ScreenShot2013-08-29at123106PM_zpse31ac869.png

OPTION 2

[IMG][/img]ScreenShot2013-08-28at71815PM_zpscba093f7.png

[IMG][/img]ScreenShot2013-08-28at71756PM_zps556a170f.png

[IMG][/img]ScreenShot2013-08-28at71808PM_zpsc60a6580.png
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Quick question regarding Faceless Void's facial animations - do Valve put those in after we submit them? If they do does that count against getting cosmetics in? Facial animations iirc were one of the "try not to go there" topics.

I was looking through Google and apparently some of the existing FV sets don't have facial animations. I'm not sure how true that is, maybe someone can tell me. The alternative if I were to make a void set I suppose is to change the face completely, like what Mech did with his FV set.

--edit-- Never mind, found a dev response on the dev forums. I suppose if I give them back the same mouth geometry they'll put in the morphs for me.
  • [Square]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomus wrote: »
    that courier would be awesome, but just as was said, those legs dont really match the theme. Look at this creature from WoW for inspiration on movement (sort of like worms move) http://www.wowwiki.com/Sewage_Slime
    or even better if it just rolls over ;-) On the other note, can couriers have alpha? If not i dont see a way to make this :/

I see, well i'll aim to make some improvements to it... perhaps after i find out if its even possible to make, ha.

Anyway, i'm in the process of concepting a Pudge Set.
    This is what i have so far...
    PudgePig.png