Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Airbørn

Replies

• Chris Kuhner
    Offline / Send Message
    Chris Kuhner polycounter lvl 6
    Wowowow- this is beautiful. The style is so crisp and clean. I'd love to play through this world.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    ZacD wrote: »
    So is this game for UDK or Unity? I love the soft clouds.

It will most likely not be produced with UDK - though this decision is not final, we are not even in real preproduction yet.

UDK has the best base when it comes to artist friendly tools, a great built in materialeditor makes it easy to create stunning results in no time. But the whole dated coding/scripting progress makes it a pain in the ass to use, for us as artists (don't know code for shit) and also programmers. So to us, UDK never was the right choice when to comes to actually coding this game, it never felt right.

Unity on the other hand is very nice to work with for prototyping and such, overall the coding tasks are much nicer to be handled inside unity - but we have yet to port one final artset from udk to unity to see how it performs on a larger scale.

In the end from an artists point of view i don't care which engine is going to be used in the production.
    Looking at it from the past few years we worked on it here and there, tested around with different solutions it is not an easy decision. But it will really come down to the budget.

We will most likely not be able to produce it with an Unreal Build (Unreal because then modifications to a lot of things would be possible, as opposed to UDK). I wouldn't mind using Unreal 4 or Cryengine either, but both will need quite a budget just for the license - and in case of the cryengine also quite a bunch of specialized coders.
    Which leads us back to unity, as beeing right now the most likely tool to work with.

But as said this is a decision that we can make once we know the budget we can spend. At the moment our budgetting plan is based on unity. And i have no doubt we can port all assets from UDK (Art for the groundgameplay build, the stuff Manuel has been showing lately) over to unity or any other engine. In the End its just 3d models and shaders. But as Unity lacks great shaders to begin with, this stuff will need to be rebuilt from ground up, which is out of our possibilities right now. It would just eat way too much time. Also we don't need super duper art for the gamedesign prototypes and we do not need perfect gameplay for the artbuilds right now. So the presentation we do for kickstarter including a couple of gameplaydemos will be a mix and match of both, good art from UDK and gameplay prototyping of the past months from Unity which will also not look like shit, but will not be as polished as the ground part.

If Epic reads this and they are thinking "dude we want this on Unreal 4" i would be the last to not evaluate the engine :P

@Chris: with a lot of luck and support of you guys, you will. Without and if we fail the pitch t will most likely end in something way simpler, or nowhere to be seen again.
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    those clouds. omg
  • e-freak
    well license for unreal and cryengine is royalty based, shouldn't be a problem in terms of financing.

Unity seems like a good choice at least for the prototype as you get the easiest code access.
  • mLichy
    Hm. Yeah, UDK still might be a good option. But I can understand your issues with programming and whatnot.

From that screenshot, it looks like Unity still might look good. But I'd hate to have visuals suffer too much because of the lack of features.
    But, at the same time, I'd rather see the game get made/released and working and look good, but maybe not AS good as UDK. :)
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    i really do not fear that unity is not capable of doing so, it's directX11 and supports the same stuff, its just a matter of porting/rewriting stuff, however i do fear that unity is not as potent when it comes down to the pure masses of artassets that unreal can push - thats a thing to evaluate. But as said we lack the time and budget to do so at the moment, so thats why we run on 2 engines right now.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    sparrow_05.jpg

sparrow_05.gif

So i finally can start sculpting, hell what a beast to make it work in game and as a 3d print.
    The back needs to be removable as the biggest piece of the printer we most likely are going to use can handle 15cm in any dimension.

For the 3d printed version the hood is removable and 2 AAA batteries fit in, doing wiring canals and such nasty things is what took the most time :X
    Not every part you see moving here will be moving in the real version, my engineering skills are far too low to make the wheels work for real. So those will be extra pieces you can plug in, but the cover will be cloaseable, the back wheel part will be rotatable as well. The saddle can be opened for whatever use as well, so if you want to stuff anything tiny in, this will work :D
    The airbrakes will not work in the real version, but we needed those for ingame purposes.

oh well, lets add some rivets and welding seams and whatnot.

Ah yeah those small light blue thingies here and there are actual real size LEDs i hope the whole wiring will work out, i added space for 3 miniature motors to drive the propellers as well - yay
  • nrek
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Dude that is awesome! I can't wait to see the process for printing and wiring this beast. What size are you going for with the print? Will we see a matching Pino action figure to go along with it? Keep it up dude.
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    wow fantastic! love the overall shape! reminds me of metal slug
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Wow well this is going to be awesome, as it already was.
    Can't wait for the printed version!

I also wonder how big the printed version will be, but I guess if you think about the size of a AAA battery you can grasp an idea of the print size, a nice enough size, looking forward to the sculpting detail version.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    I added a reference coin to the post before :)

the whole thing is 22cm long

@spencer: yeah Pi
  • moof
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    Can't wait to see the 3d print of that :o
  • bbob
    Ermahgawd, love this..
  • Lord McMutton
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Sweetness. I can't really tell; what's going on with that last bit, where the rear end detaches?
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    The whole plane is 22cm long, which i can't change if i want the AAA batteries to go under the hood. The printer we are most likely going to be using does "only" 15x15x15cm so i needed to split the plane in 2 segments - its nothing that is going to happen ingame but something i needed to add forthe print version - same goes for the wiring canals in the core of the plane, they will not be used for the lowpoly version.
  • urgaffel
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    How did you do the clouds in Unity? They look nice and fluffy!
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    learn to code c# goddamit :nerd:

Me likes the toy but there are parts which are really .. fragile
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    yeah i know, some of the parts will be beefed up a bit once the game ready version in sculpted.
    about the code, oh well i know how to hack a little which already helped a lot with doing some minor gameplay prototypes, but i just don't have the time to produce art AND code this one - and i'm just not talented enough to be a good coder, oh well and i don't want to put as much time into becoming one as well.

@urgaffel: i will show it once we have some of the bugs fixed, its not really that complicated. At the moment we have a few culling issues per cloud and some overdraw issues when you get very close, we will have to work on that before i would consider this tech game ready. But it runs at 50fps minimum on all machines we tested it on, so its not THAAAAAt bad, just a little ^^
  • urgaffel
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Cool, looking forward to more info since I love volumetrics and the like :)
  • Yog-Shoggoth
    Offline / Send Message
    Yog-Shoggoth polycounter lvl 9
    urgaffel wrote: »
    Cool, looking forward to more info since I love volumetrics and the like :)

Likewise, the cloud tech looks really nice and I'd be interested in seeing how it's implemented :).

Plus the whole thread is just filled with some really impressive work and designs. It's got me wanting to work on my limited C# and 3D modelling skills and have a bash at doing something in Unity.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Just out of curiosity, do you think you'll be going with Unity for the final version? I haven't had much experience with it as I usually use Marmoset for previews, but I wanted to find out if its got as much power in terms of visuals as UDK, since there seems to have been a lot of updates in the new version.
  • cupsster
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    good god, this! o_O nice progresss
  • Paul_LaSalle
    you guys are using UDK? really nice screens!
  • tottot
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot polycounter lvl 10
    This is all excellent, thank you for sharing all of this progress, subscribed!
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I'm late to this thread, but thanks to the recap, I'm gonna go through all 28 pages soon and catch up. Love the most recent environment shots! The lighting looks great. I love the foliage and the rocks, great contrast. :thumbup:
  • acapulco
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    Today I finished a new conceptual Illustration piece for the ice setting. Some time ago I had the idea to do a family portrait to show what clothes the people there are wearing. I did not want to do warriors and cool guys and brutes and what so ever. I wanted to do some normal guys. A smith, his wife and his son.

So here you go:

famPortrait-kl.jpg

We hope to have some more news soon. We'll keep you updated.
  • toolpaddz
    Offline / Send Message
    toolpaddz polycounter lvl 10
    lovely and original! Diggin it! :)
  • Spatz
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    wow acapulco big fan of your concepts ... and this is another great one!
  • SittingDucky
    Offline / Send Message
    SittingDucky polycounter lvl 10
    scrolling thru this thread really made my day.i have no words yet i'm still typing something. i'll just subscribe the shit out of it : D
  • loa03
    Offline / Send Message
    loa03 polycounter lvl 9
    oh nice illustration!!! :)
    :thumbup:
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    finally some new 3d work, i have a couple of more NPCs prepared, mostly variations for existing ones to get a few people in the world... however here is a small modulesystem for one of the enemy soldiers, the brute

brute_03.jpg

he can function as an officer, who is kinda like a better gunner, with a bit more health, as some sort of simple mechanic/engineer for the enemy troops and of course as his primary intention a heavy armored meleed type of fighter, with a weakspot in his back.

and a couple of variation ideas for the head. i think we will do a few more faces but also more variety with different haircuts and beards and such. the usual mass grunt will have his face covered though.

brute_variations.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/airborngame
  • LuCh!
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    waw, this is really getting awesomer with every post, don't care if that's not a word cause it should be!
    i'm drooling at those cliffs btw!
  • Sirdelita
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    I cannot believe how long I've been following this... don't give up guys!
  • The_Distiller
    Any updates soon? Can't wait to see what you guys are cooking!
  • acapulco
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    Don't know, everyone is really busy again =[
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    new models! looking great. been following this for a while. Can't wait to see some more stuff
  • GabrielP
    Offline / Send Message
    GabrielP polycounter lvl 7
    I adore this project. Also heads 1,2 and 5 are my favorites.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Any updates on this? I know you guys are making DOTA stuff to raise money.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Hey Zac,

well yes and no.
    So we started doing dota things thats right, and i will use all the money i makde from it to support airborn, everyone of the team is giving a percentage to support us with this, I give all of it (minus taxes >_< ). Some artists from the dotaworkshop also join us with this, which is really great.
    We didn't raise a huge budget but a small one to do some things with, i will most likely use this money to fix the bottlenecks we definitely have, right now this is animation mostly. So i'll hire someone at one point to create some animations to play with.

Last year was really interesting to us as a team and studio, we moved to a new and bigger place (which is still not over yet) are finishing our so far biggest production which took most of my time away (managing 16 character artists, to do 140+ characters, yay fun times). So right now i try to shrink down the team, create smaller taskforces for smaller volumes of work for different clients, do more indie stuff, i really try to chill down a bit to have more time for airborn. Which also means less work for artists from here, sadly i'll try to figure this out maybe we can still run some outsource operations and i still have more time - but right now I really need to work less and have more time for our own baby.

Thats said, last year didn't go on without work, we are evaluating engines, the biggest chances are Unity or Unreal4, it's not decided yet.
    We test different solutions for the sky, particle based, volume based - before we entered the UE4 beta, we tested with UDK as well. I could show a couple of things, nothing is really groundbreaking, mostly trying to solve one of the biggest challenges artwise, the sky.

besides that we try to focus on the GDD at the moment, getting our base shit together, not doing much art, but we need a foundation. workflow is also a big issue on my side, we don#t have unlimited ressources, so how do we get this done with the art we want to have and the budget we can spend (time and money, most people spend budget in form of time). It's really tough to get ANYTHING to work without a budget, thats definitely an issue, was always and will stay one. But I don't feel confident enough to pitch it to anybody yet.
    Be it Kickstarter or publisher, investors whatnot, IF we do this, it needs to be solid. If we can get to this stage, i don't know. I hope so and push as hard as I can do this, sadly this is still a project to work on, on the side. There is only so much i can do, i could take myself out of production and work on it myself use the budget I have, but the bottlenecks would still remain. So right now i try find ways to break away some of the bottlenecks we had, by spending money I made.

Dota is a great chance, we love working on assets for that game it is running good, not super overly great to a point we could stop and just do what we want. But it gives us some freedom, freedom i couldn't even think of last year.
  • HamiltonAFJR
    Very inspiring stuff! Congrats guys!
  • Razorb
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    There are only 4 of us working on our game Routine, surviving mainly on a bit of savings we have left from our jobs, we do all share a flat to keep the costs down and use the front room as our work space. We are running out of money and its stressful times indeed, I think its great that you are being cautious about it and honestly If I was to start this all over again, I would downscale the project and make sure I have more savings before going on this crazy adventure. I think the whole DOTA items is a bloody great way of helping with that.

We have also freelanced 2 other people that have shaved off a month or two worth of work, and honestly its a god send.

Best of luck with Airborn and as you can tell there are a bunch of us foaming at the mouth to play the damn thing :P Thank you for the explanation and I am sorry for my long winded reply <3!
  • ErrorX
    Do you guys have a kick starter and wat is the link?
  • why_pack
    Offline / Send Message
    why_pack polycounter lvl 3
    Sooory for the bump. After playing Ori, I really want to see this game being released, is it still being worked on?
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    sorry everyone, didnt see any new posts, thanks to the clunky sidebar i did now :D 

first of all, thanks again for the love

@Razorb: good luck with your project!

@errorx: nope, and i am not sure there will be

@why_pack: thanks a lot, yeah Ori was a crazy cool project, tough for many of us, but still a great project. But we do not work on airborn and might not anytime soon. We just slipped out of the Halo production and still work on Overwatch. I for one do not have the energy to work further on anything bigger than just sketches. I'd love to one day take a break and just work on Airborn, but keeping a team of artists afloat is a bigger task for me right now and I enjoy it a lot. Airborn the game is super scary, we are good at making nice images, we have zero experience with actually creating a game and at this visual fidelity it will be a lot of work on the artside as well. I have now idea when or IF we will work on it seriously again. It started as some sort of portfolio project and only barely moved out of that, not sure if we can move it past the point of just being a looker.

but i would still love to, i still enjoy the universe we have created here
  • Legion_studios
    Offline / Send Message
    Legion_studios polycounter lvl 2
    so ww1 ish steam punk?
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    call it whatever you want, its just not the very fine and overdetailled victorian steampunk
  • sabanovicanes
    Offline / Send Message
    sabanovicanes polycounter lvl 5
    @ SimonT & MeintevdS:

1109jpg
    How would one UV map something like this in the shape of this ellipsoid to not get distortion on the texture?
  • Eric Chadwick
    How would one UV map something like this in the shape of this ellipsoid to not get distortion on the texture?
    If you look closely you can see seams. My guess... this is a cube with 4x4 faces on each side, Sphereify modifier to create roundness, then non-uniform scaled and soft-select edited into an ellipsoid shape. If you look where the original cube edges would be, you can see UV discontinuities.
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    This is really nice! :) Thanks for showing!
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    The necropost is strong in this one..
    Pretty legit question and answers tho ^^