Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Bi-Monthly CHARACTER ART Challenge | Summer 2016

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
Alemja quad damage

Welcome to the Bi-Monthly Character Art Challenge!

Due to the mid June start the challenge will run until the end of August
Previous Challenge Thread

How it works
  • Each month, 3 Character Concepts will be provided
  • You're free to approach any of the concepts however you like, as long as you stay true to the
  • essence of the original concept.
  • You have until the end of the month to complete any of the given concepts.

Guidelines
  • Leave at least one critique per post. Being able to effectively receive, and give constructive criticism is an invaluable skill as any type of artist.
  • There are no software restrictions; you're welcome to use as little, or as many different software packages as you like.
  • Post your work in progress in the thread. You're welcome to cross post on different sites (Artstation, Facebook, etc.)
  • Before starting your character, break down the concept and plan your work accordingly. Being able to effectively estimate how long it will take to complete a project is an important skill, especially for freelance artists.
  • Your final presentation should be posed and rendered in any real time engine. (Marmoset, UE4, Cryengine, Unity, etc.)
  • Don't be afraid to ask questions, but don't hesitate to find the answer on your own - chances are, the answer to your problem has already been answered within these forums
  • We're all here to grow as artists. Learn as much as you can, and share what you've learned.
  • If you feel anything should be modified or added to these guidelines, please let me know!

Resources

Concepts

Please credit and link to the artists when posting on other sites!

Costume Design by Anastasia Bulgakova

Character by Michael Lim

Cyborg Demon by Aleksandr Nikonov

Replies

• adrxzero
    Offline / Send Message
    adrxzero polycount sponsor
    I really dig these concepts, looking forward to seeing people's interpretations.
  • ruebenDodds
    Offline / Send Message
    ruebenDodds polycounter lvl 11
    These are great concept art pieces. I was thinking about the female character, but I'm have issue trying to make out the costume design. So here are the two ideas I'm have with the costume.

1 -> She is wearing latex suit with sleeveless jacket or coat, which their zip line that is running of one of the cross path of the front x shape in the dress to take it off..

2 -> Otherwise the costume design is that it's a combination of a jacket with gold hanging accessories and latex legs with a gold plate heels..

So feedback on the costume design for the female and thoughts on how you think it would fitted on her would be greatly appreciated. Because I haven't full made a decision on the character I would like to do for this challenge. But currently strongly leaning towards the female character.
  • trianglesqrt
    Offline / Send Message
    trianglesqrt polycounter lvl 4
    I'm going to participate this time :)  This is going to be a good exercise to get into marvelous designer. Think i`ll start with creating a Human Base Mesh. Following the first Concept.

• PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 11
    Everything inside me is telling me to make the girl, so I'm gonna make the guy instead :P
  • DanaosC
    Offline / Send Message
    DanaosC polycounter lvl 5
    PyrZern said:
    Everything inside me is telling me to make the girl, so I'm gonna make the guy instead :P
    Oh the girl is kinda flat design-wise, I'm also gonna do the guy, looks interesting!

On a related note, how should i sculpt him if I want to have his hands in the pockets?! I am racking my brain here, is it even doable?
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're going for full lowpoly, then it doesn't really matter, does it ? Just do an a-pose with bent elbows while you work, then pose afterward. The pockets could be just hand overlapping the pants... Or you could make pants with actual pockets. 
  • DanaosC
    Offline / Send Message
    Well not really, see how the shirt bends over the hands, and the pockets clearly change shape and get wrinkled when the hands go on.
    If I do the high poly while in a-pose then there will be no folks/wrinkles at the pocket area.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Hem of the jacket ?? I think we can pull that part up slightly after we bake the lowpoly (maybe with a bit of baked in wrinkles). Maybe we can move a few verticies of the pants when we put the hand inside ?  Think that would look weird ?
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    If you go the low poly route, I would recommend modeling it straight and then have enough geometry to do a morph target or have some other rig to wrinkle the shirt. That's how it would be done for current gen game models.
  • DanaosC
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah sorry I meant jacket.
    I mean it could look decent but in no way as realistic as it could be. I want to aim for something photorealistic in both textures and shapes. The hem of the jacket isn't just pulled up, it's folded. Plus the pocket takes the shape of the hand. This piece by Jamie-lee Lloyd came to mind. See how the pocket has the shape of the hand.
    For the best looking results, we should make the pants and jacket in MD, then change the pose of the character body to the hands-in-pockets pose so then cloth will be on point.
    The bad thing with this is that the clothes will always be shaped like the hand is in the pocket.
    I guess we can't have it both ways.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, you could have a character that always has one hand in pocket. ^.^ In which case you sculpt the folds and bake them right in for his right pocket.
  • Jakub
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    To be fair, if you're making that character, it is not required to make exactly the same pose. Just don't put the hand in the pocket, problem solved :P
  • DanaosC
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub said:
    To be fair, if you're making that character, it is not required to make exactly the same pose. Just don't put the hand in the pocket, problem solved :P
    Yeah I thought of that too, but it looks cool :/ It's also a nice challenge anyways~
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    You can alway rig the arm and the pocket afterwards so you can put his hand in the pocket :p
  • DanaosC
    Offline / Send Message
    You can alway rig the arm and the pocket afterwards so you can put his hand in the pocket :p
    It's not an issue of how to lower the arm but more like how the cloth is getting affected when the hand is in the pocket, which is more wrinkles/folds and different shapes than when it's not.
  • Eleszar1
    Offline / Send Message
    Eleszar1 polycounter lvl 11
    DanaosC said:
    It's not an issue of how to lower the arm but more like how the cloth is getting affected when the hand is in the pocket, which is more wrinkles/folds and different shapes than when it's not.
    ;) bake 2 diferent set of textures 1 with extra folds  for the parts that will be streched  due to the pose and one without
  • Hakon_Schug
    Offline / Send Message
    Hakon_Schug vertex
    Im new to polycount and this is going to be the challenge i Participate in :awesome: 
    Its gonna be cool : Cyborg Demon ( this is just a rough sketch to test out concepting in Zbrush )

• DanaosC
    Offline / Send Message
    Eleszar1 said:
    DanaosC said:
    ;) bake 2 diferent set of textures 1 with extra folds  for the parts that will be streched  due to the pose and one without
    No way, that means two different high polys, two different low polys and two UV sets. The best way is storing a morph target like Alemja said or just bake the pocket pose just for presentation purposes.
  • DanaosC
    Offline / Send Message
    Im new to polycount and this is going to be the challenge i Participate in :awesome: 
    Its gonna be cool : Cyborg Demon ( this is just a rough sketch to test out concepting in Zbrush )

Welcome buddy, you could definitely try poly loops for this guy, godspeed! :)
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    One day I will learn Marvelous Designer properly... But for now, it's ZBrush.

Not sure I wanna make the character... Maybe just his costume. We will see. Now I'm going to retop this so I can sculpt it better.

• Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    @Hakon_Schug I would suggest blocking out the rest of the model and get the big shapes/overall proportion nailed down first before you go in and start sculpting in the details. Jumping into details too early can lead to problems down the line that are harder to fix.
  • Hakon_Schug
    Offline / Send Message
    Hakon_Schug vertex
    @Alemja True that :) i will ! this was just a test concept in zbrush ( since i've never done that before ) i will start over and do a proper block out first with the Right Proportion

• Jakub
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    @PyrZern

I think that your body proportions are incorrect atm. Overall he seems a bit too narrow, doens't really resemble grown male.
  • MaxHoek
    Offline / Send Message
    MaxHoek polycounter lvl 8
    @Hakon_Schug good start buddy. im excited for your progress! (;
  • Edgar T
    Offline / Send Message
    Edgar T interpolator
    @Hakon_Schug Be carefull with the measurement. You're taking in count the toes... and you should do it from head to heels, so the result is less than 8 heads.
  • Lucpus
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucpus polycounter lvl 3
    I'm a bit confused, when you say "Your final presentation should be posed and rendered in any real time engine.", what will the final deliverable be? Am I going to submit a unity scene file? Sorry I don't know how the process works, this is my first character challenge.

• Hakon_Schug
    Offline / Send Message
    Hakon_Schug vertex
    Pshyco said:
    @Hakon_Schug Be carefull with the measurement. You're taking in count the toes... and you should do it from head to heels, so the result is less than 8 heads.
    Yeah your right . Thanks
  • DanaosC
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucpus said:
    I'm a bit confused, when you say "Your final presentation should be posed and rendered in any real time engine.", what will the final deliverable be? Am I going to submit a unity scene file? Sorry I don't know how the process works, this is my first character challenge.

Hey Lucpus, the presentation will be rendered images. Either in Marmoset Toolbag, Unity, Unreal Engine and so on. You can also upload it to Marmoset Viewer or sketchfab. Cheers!
  • Hakon_Schug
    Offline / Send Message
    Hakon_Schug vertex
    Thanks for your feedback . I redone my work and used the correct mesaurments to create a new Full propotional concept in zbrush with Zspheres
    :pleased: btw does any know how he looks from the back :confused: or do i have to '' improvise ''  :)
  • Kapoff
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    I feel like I should get back to those challenges.
    Especially with the two first concepts.
  • Eleszar1
    Offline / Send Message
    Eleszar1 polycounter lvl 11
    DanaosC said:
    Eleszar1 said:
    DanaosC said:
    No way, that means two different high polys, two different low polys and two UV sets. The best way is storing a morph target like Alemja said or just bake the pocket pose just for presentation purposes.
    no just sculpt folds on the parts that will be effected by the pose on the same high poly and bake a second normal map and ao, no need extra work
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Hakon_Schug Let your creativity juice flow :P
  • trianglesqrt
    Offline / Send Message
    trianglesqrt polycounter lvl 4
    I still haven`t used the hand i made earlier lol. 
    My Reference looks kind of messy.  I'm going to make a new head, used this one to measure, deleted the feet though, need to study them a bit more!
    any updates @Hakon_Schug ? i'd like to see your zspheres converted :pleased:

• Hakon_Schug
    Offline / Send Message
    Hakon_Schug vertex
    @trianglesqrt good going mate . Like your face XD .
    i think ripcage is a little bit wide, try to make it slimmer like in your reference ;)
    Yeah i converted my Ztool and added the  anatomical proportion o the upper body in low res . but damn ...Hard surface anatomy is difficult , :confounded: i need to learn a lot about hard surface sculpting, i hope i do so in this Challenge :chuffed: love to hear your feedback ;)
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Funny thing is; I think I know how to do the concept #1 and #3... but I am not exactly sure how to do concept #2...  I mean, in the past; I would just make the shirt/jacket mesh, then use Orb Crack to make the panels/trims thing... but now I'm not sure if I should do that.
  • ruebenDodds
    Offline / Send Message
    ruebenDodds polycounter lvl 11
    Great start everyone. While after getting advice about just trying of the challenge I decide start it off. So here is my progress so far work from a base mesh that got from purchasing Zack Petroc tutorial. I base mesh is currently sitting around about 3500 polygons and I currently working on subdivision level 1. Because I trying to work out the main mass and landmarks for the character.

So I thought I would do the female character for this month challenge and learn to push myself to get a complete character within a deadline. If need be I will continue to work on it after the challenge. But I would like to see where I get up to within this challenge. So I can see where I need to still work on improve for doing a complete , because I'm still not experience in this area. Which I still have a lot to learn for myself.

So currently I haven't check the proportions of the base mesh with the concept art or just the overall proportions in general. But any feedback or advice on furthering and issue you see so far is greatly welcomed.  Best of luck everyone doing the challenge.  ^_^

• A1mb0t
    Offline / Send Message
    A1mb0t polycounter lvl 9
    Hey everyone, nice jobs here so far! haven't done anything in zbrush for way too long and thought it might be time to at least start again. So I used zspheres for my base, then did a quick basic body sculpt and just started laying down shapes for the clothes. Let's see how this continues! 

• PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    ruebenDodds Shorter body is what I think. Bellybutton line up with elbows. And hands a bit below crotch. You also could separate her head from the body. That way you can subdivide only the head.
  • DanaosC
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet start everyone!

@A1mb0t
    Her torso is a bit short, also the pelvis area needs somea ttention anatomically-wise. trianglesqrt did a nice sketch some posts above which will help you with the body shape.

So here's my start. Super rough draft as of now, Will play with the shapes and overall shapes more after I block everything in. 
    I made him a tad bulkier as when I retopologize my models always look skinnier. 

In the end I'll go with a different pose. While hands in pocket would look cool it's too much of a hassle right now. Hair will be a challenge but I am gonna try out Ornatrix for this one. 

• vempdance
    Offline / Send Message
    vempdance polycounter lvl 5
    Do the first one.

• icecool
    Offline / Send Message
    icecool polycounter lvl 9
    Hi anybody )
    join to the challenge 
    GL HF

• DanaosC
    Offline / Send Message
    Great start @icecool
    I'd say check the proportions of the demon before moving on, the torso needs to be a tad longer and the legs even more.

• DanaosC
    Offline / Send Message
    An update on the upper part of the character. Jacket is pretty much done, texture will be done in Substance later on. I may have to come back and change it a bit but I think it's good as of now. I'll now more to finish the pants and shoes. Then I am thinking of some bionic eye instead of regular ones. Finally hair (oh bot) and the rest.

• Hakon_Schug
    Offline / Send Message
    Hakon_Schug vertex
    DanaosC Good Going :) maybe you should 've done the Folds after the posing ?

I was slacking off a few days  haha
    but now i finished my Rough sketch and now i have to set higher resolution and clean up the sketch.
    What method is better for Hard surace sculpt ? Topology brush or Z-sphere topology ?! :confused:
  • Hakon_Schug
  • Hakon_Schug
  • DanaosC
    Offline / Send Message
    @Hakon_Schug
    I'll suggest again that panel loops would be great for this guy as you can make the crevices and "plates" of armor very easily.
    But if you want to go the handsculpt way, to avoid it from getting muddy and have it clean and pretty I'd go for retopologizing the rough sketch and then crease and divide alongside with polish and TrimDynamic brush.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    @Hakon_Schugyou using the zbrush blockout you have as reference for shapes, volume and scale I would make the pieces of the model using hard surface techniques. It would be much cleaner and you can re-use the geometry for the low poly, cutting down on retopology time.
  • Lucospade
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucospade polycounter lvl 3
    DanaosC said:
    PyrZern said:
    Oh the girl is kinda flat design-wise, I'm also gonna do the guy, looks interesting!

On a related note, how should i sculpt him if I want to have his hands in the pockets?! I am racking my brain here, is it even doable?
    I really disagree. The other two are SUPER generic. At least she has some hint of a backstory hiding in her design.
  • DanaosC
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucospade said:
    DanaosC said:
    PyrZern said:

I really disagree. The other two are SUPER generic. At least she has some hint of a backstory hiding in her design.
    Really? We'll have to agree to disagree then. I just can't see it, She has some simple fabric covered around her, no actual pants or sleeves, just the leather covering everything. The boots also seem pretty straightforward. The only interesting/challenging part would be the golden thingies infront of her which are still nothing extreme.
    The male one though has both organic and hardsurface parts, his jacket is quite complex with the way it's folding and the paterns in the textures are challenging.
    I do respect your opinion though and I understand where you're coming from :) Each to his own~

Cheers!