Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly CHARACTER ART Challenge | April 2016

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Tripl3M polycounter lvl 2

Welcome to the Monthly Character Art Challenge - April 2016

If you think that anything should be changed, tell me.

This time you'll have two months to complete this challenge

How it works
  • You're free to approach any of the concepts however you like, as long as you stay true to the essence of the original theme.
  • You have until the end of May 2016 to complete The challenge.

Guidelines
  • Leave at least one critique per post. Being able to effectively receive, and give constructive criticism is an invaluable skill as any type of artist.
  • There are no software restrictions; you're welcome to use as little, or as many different software packages as you like.
  • Post your work in progress in the thread. You're welcome to cross post on different sites (Artstation, Facebook, etc.)
  • Before starting your character, break down the concept and plan your work accordingly. Being able to effectively estimate how long it will take to complete a project is an important skill, especially for freelance artists.
  • Your final presentation should be posed and rendered in any real time engine. (Marmoset, UE4, Cryengine, Unity, etc.)
  • Don't be afraid to ask questions, but don't hesitate to find the answer on your own - chances are, the answer to your problem has already been answered within these forums
  • We're all here to grow as artists. Learn as much as you can, and share what you've learned.
  If you feel anything should be modified or added to these guidelines, please let me know!

Resources
  • Polycount Character Wiki (link)
  • Polycount Tutorial List (link)
  • Monthly Character Art Challenge Pinterest Boards (link)

Challenges

cd_6 by Pavel Proskurin

Latter-day by Lclszzx

Feast by Ketka

Good luck and have fun!

Replies

• TheWarlord18
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWarlord18 polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome, thanks for starting up another challenge! Looking forward to it.
  • GoneAway
    Offline / Send Message
    GoneAway polycounter lvl 5
    The golems look great.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 11
    Working on some art test atm, but will see if I can jump into this :)
  • dGreenberg
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    I've never taken part in a contest like this, but I'd really like to participate if I can put some time into it. I have to juggle some other projects over the next few months, but they say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. 

Thanks for starting up a new challenge, Tripl3m!
  • Francois_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    You might wanna remove that jarsef statement in the headline. Just to be nice and not blame anyone for not starting a new challenge. And January was 2 months ago , not 5. But yeah.
  • Tripl3M
    Offline / Send Message
    @Francois_K he started it in December 2015 almost 4 months, and done :smile: 
  • Tripl3M
    Offline / Send Message
    @dGreenberg @PyrZern good luck with your art test and projects :smiley: !
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eric Chadwick  If you could sticky this thread, instead of the older one ?

• m1kc
    Offline / Send Message
    m1kc polycounter lvl 3
    Hm, this first character is super inspiring for me, I think I will take a part in this challenge.
  • tierzilla
    Offline / Send Message
    tierzilla polycounter lvl 9
    finishing up a model , might be joining this challenge on the old dude and practice some marvelous
    cheers!
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Hey everybody, I started a Facebook group for the character art challenge as another place to get critiques and also we can brainstorm ideas and vote on future topics. Even if you don't plan on participating for this round, you are still more than welcome to join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/203008780078280/

• Tripl3M
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alemja sounds fun, i`m in :)
    @jarsef welcome back :D, and good luck !
    I`ll start working on the old guy as well starting next week after exams
  • ruebenDodds
    Offline / Send Message
    ruebenDodds polycounter lvl 11
    Hey everyone,

Great to see that the challenge has started up again. I have being a lurker for awhile and thought i should start entering to the challenge. I have never done a challenge before so I don't know if I will get the character done in the time period. But if not I will continue on with it after the challenge. I thinking of doing the Golem character for this month. So here is a rough breakdown of the elements in the character concept art and what I think the head proportions are for the character. Feedback on any is welcome. Currently get reference for the character and hope to start the rough base sculpt tomorrow or next week.

Good luck to everyone that does the challenge.
  • Bigbadlobster2
    Hi, i'm supah bad in modeling and the only thing i can do is model every poly by hand. Took female character concept and i'll try to make appealing 3d model of it, i also have zero experience in texturing, i hope i'll manage this task eventually. Here is my first progress check post.

Spend 4 hours in blender for this.
  • klown
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 11
    A mod needs to sticky this thread so more people see it :P
  • gdsslight
    Maybe we could get some bonus challenges too?
    I started working on the Golem and will post pics soon :smiley:
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I'm in!

I am going to take this one. It's a really current design. I really like the proportions and it will be a great test for MD. I might test out sPainter on it as well. I aim to hold a record of the work time too. Plus this will be a good one for the folio. Thanks to Lclszzx for allowing us to use the concept and thanks to TRIPL3M for organizing this challenge.

See you guys in the soup!
    Cheerio

• PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    BIGBADLOBSTER2 Look more into hand-painting techniques and examples. Very lowpoly models can look totally awesome if you paint it very well.
  • Blade113
    Offline / Send Message
    Blade113 polycounter lvl 8

Hi, i'm supah bad in modeling and the only thing i can do is model every poly by hand. Took female character concept and i'll try to make appealing 3d model of it, i also have zero experience in texturing, i hope i'll manage this task eventually. Here is my first progress check post.

Spend 4 hours in blender for this.
    Cool work tho.

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Seems the concept isnt available. Loaded it up to my server so if there are problems with permission then let me know and I will take it down:
    Ah ok its back up.
    Cheerio
  • Majom
    Offline / Send Message
    Majom null
    I will be doing the first concept, i think it has the most character to it. Also a great way to learn marvelous designer and some subd modelling for the flametrhower / pack. Can you please add another golem concept ?. Not a fan of this golem and maybe i would have done one otherwize.

Edit: https://nl.pinterest.com/pin/449304500302529614/ Was it intended to have all these golems ?.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    First pass at a generic base figure:

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Blocking in:

Marvelous designer seems to work pretty well for a fabric base. Think it needs a retopo though. Seems you can import your base model easily and the simulation is fantastic allowing you to change the structure of the pattern and resimulate strait away to see the changes.

Cheerio

• PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks nice there.

Kinda funny though that (in general) clothing made by MD is insta-recognizable by the folds.
  • manutegol
    Offline / Send Message
    manutegol polycounter lvl 9
    ohhh i like the concept cd_6 by Pavel .
    I think i will do it (if i have time).

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Thanks PYRZERN. Yeah I am sure MD can do a lot more but I am still messing around with it. So far its doing an amazing job, I only hope I can catch up! Hope you get time to join in with the challenge.
    Cheers
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage

Had another crack at MD. The more I use it the more I like it. Still needs cleaning and secondary folds.

Some grenades using Proboolean in Max.
    Cheerio

• klown
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 11
    Great stuff @kanga !

Apart from cloth seams/stiches etc, looks like you are almost ready for the bake down/LP?
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    @klown Thanks!
    Alot of stuff is just block in still, like the hair and most of the bags. Like you say the cloth needs to be retopoed and the seams need attention. There is still loads to do :) I am not sure if she has a pistol on her right side, but I will give her a rifle just in case.

Cheerio
  • DanaosC
    Offline / Send Message
    DanaosC polycounter lvl 5
    @kanga
    Great progress there lad! Boots are always a nightmare of mine. Do you have some tips on how should I go at them? I am not that good at making the shape in 3Ds Max so I sculpt a rough shape (which is easier for me but kinda lame) in Zbrush and retopo them to get a better shape (I have to retopo again at the end though). It's such a pain, laces are hell too. Any advice?
    Thanks in advance!
    Cheers~
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Hey DANAOSC, thanks!
    Boots are difficult, I think because the foot is a difficult shape. I drew polys on the base form of the figure I sent back to max from ZBrush as a template (decimated) using polydraw. The boots were half the polycount you see below.

I used the shell modifier to give the poly planes thickness and then divided the boots once with nurms smooth and turned off isoline display and then converted the mesh to an editable poly. That holds the smoothed shape and it allowed me to tighten up corners and run extra loops around the boarders of the pieces. I sent that model to ZBrush to tweak the overall form with a google image page of army boots on my second monitor as a guide.

I sent the boot back to Max at the form I wanted to lastly put on the laces. The laces are just a single spline I drew on the boot using face snapping so the verts would be roughly in place. The spline looks like junk but you can mess with the verts and change their bezier type to fit the model, also using the handles on the spline verts lets you fit the laces exactly, The laces are just the spline rendered as a tube in the viewport you can find under the modifier panel. You can adjust the resolution here and under the interpolation menu below the render menu.  The ringlets are just lowpoly half toruses that are sitting on top of the piece that overlaps the boot tongue. I drill holes through that piece when I do the leather and damage detail in the end.

Hope that helps.
    Cheerio

PS. I see the top part of the boot is bending the wrong way! Will have to fix that.
  • DanaosC
    Offline / Send Message
    @kanga
    Oh you magnificent beast, thanks for taking the time to reply!
    It's funny how small things I don't know can speed up the creation of specific parts so much.
    Splines for laces never occured to me, such a dummy. 
    Hope it's okey if I ask some follow up questions. I had never heard of polydraw, looked it up and it seems like a retopo tool in 3Ds Max, I assume it does the same as topogun?
    Also, never heard of Nurms smooth either, why don't you use Turbosmooth, or even better what's the difference?

Thanks once again for your time and sorry for the trouble!

EDIT: Hope it's okey that I am asking all these in this thread, don't want to bother everyone else with these posts.

Kind regards~

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    DANAOSC No worries pleased to help, and just ask away. That is what these threads and challenges are for, to help each other out.

I've been using Polydraw for a while now, it was a plugin before it got intergrated into Max. Yeah it does the same thing as topogun pretty much. I tried topogun out a few times and it was just quicker to use polydraw because I am used to the modelling tools in Max and there is no need to import and export models.  Poly Draw  is under Freeform in the graphite tools menu and becomes available when you have an editable poly selected. You can open Poly Draw and choose New Object and pick a surface, grid or selection to draw polys on. You can also dial in the height you want those vertexes to be from your chosen surface. Works great and has become really stable in later versions of Max.

The way I understand it Nurms smooth is an older sub division function and I use it while modelling. I have it mapped to a hotkey and I can toggel it on and off. Its really useful for a quick preview of what subdivision does to the model and its also a great mesh check because you can see if verts are connected properly, plus there are times when you make a flowing shape and need to hold that form while at the same time modelling a shape into that form, like defining the boarders of the boot parts or putting holes into the model without disturbing the flow. It comes with a cage that you can also toggel on and off and is great for tweaking your mesh when the model is subdivided. You can bake the sub division into your model by reconverting the model into an editable poly but make sure isoline display is off.

Turbosmooth is a modifier you can put in the stack and it is more efficient and stable than Nurms smooth. Turbosmooth has the advantage that you can select several meshes and apply one Turbosmooth modifier to them meaning you can globally switch smoothing on and off with one click. This is great for high res animation because when you are animating too many polys makes things slow down. Turning off subdivisions for animations and back on for rendering works well. If I have to animate a high res character it always has its own Turbosmooth modifier. If the character has displacement maps as well as normal and difuse maps you want to be able to turn all that stuff off while animating. You can also bake the Turbosmooth sub ds into the mesh if you want. Since great game engines became available I lost my interest in linear animation and am smitten by realtime, so I hardly ever use Turbosmooth anymore, only for some freelance work and teaching animation students.

Cheerio
  • DanaosC
    Offline / Send Message
    @kanga
    Wow, thank you so much for all that mate, I totally got all the answers I need.
    So glad to be part of this helpful community.

I got informed of the monthly challenges kind of late therefore I'll pick the Golem to do for the 2 weeks remaining. Hope you can lend me your knowledge along the way if you see something wrong with the progress :D  
    Have a good day mate!
  • DanaosC
    Offline / Send Message
    So here is my entry (At least the beginning of it). I found out about the challenge yesterday therefore I hope I can finish it before it's too late (Hey, it's a challenge anyways!). It is my first challenge ever and i hope I can learn a lot by doing this!
    I chose to do the Golem as I think this is the one i can do within the time limit.
    I've decided to block out the rough shapes in 3Ds max using spheres and then merging them in Zbrush.

Now, I've got a couple of issues that i hope I can get some insight from you guys.
    First of is that, I usually sculpt my characters in t-pose and then pose them when they're done. With this beautiful guy here I think I shouldn't do that. In fact I think I should make his arms and legs a different mesh and rotate them when I need to pose him. What do you guys think? Is that okey or should I go at it with a different mindset?
    I currently plan to go ahead and sculpt him at this awkward pose.

Lastly, while I am not even near to the point of worrying about the cloth and little fur thingies at the end, I'd like to know what I should do from the start. I was going to use planes for the cloth [1] and a patch of 'hair' cards for the fur at the end [2]. Do you think that's a good idea? Should I give the cloth planes thickness or it's unnecessary?

That's all of now! I'll be keeping you updated. I really value everyone's opinion so thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
    -Dan
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    @DanaosC

One of the things I like to consider is how will this game be used in a production scenario, as in how would you create it so it can work in-game? I think it is very possible to have this character in a T-Pose and here is why: It's joints look very much like a ball-in-socket joint which is very rig friendly and very easy to manipulate into the pose you want. Another factor to consider is the amount of extra work you would have to do if you create him already posed, all of his large forms of symmetrical so therefore it makes sense to make it in a symmetrical matter

Regarding the cloth, I sometimes find cloth with thickness easier to manipulate in zbrush, but it's not always necessary to do it that. For the fur I would sculpt it as a solid clump and then later in the low poly make some alpha planes to give it more volume, you can easily get away with this look because it is a  stylized character already.

I hope this answers your questions!
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Alemja said:
    @DanaosC

One of the things I like to consider is how will this game be used in a production scenario,
    Yeah I think this is one of the most important parts of these challenges, unless you are aiming at just making concept sketches, making a game ready character would be great for your folio. I would agree with Alemja that most of the Golem characters I have seen are loose parts linked (or skinned as a whole part) to the rig. I would use a symmetric  a-pose because that is midway between the two extremes of motion. If you want to use captured or canned motion after the model is complete it is easy to move the arms up into a t-pose if that is needed.

Like has been said, ZBrush doesn't like plane edges. Things like the ribbons hanging from his hands I'd model as boxes and the reduce those to a front and back plane with an alpha channel for the torn out bits. If someone else has another approach to the cloth it would be great to hear ir.

Cheerio
  • DanaosC
    Offline / Send Message
    @kanga
    @Alemja
    Yeah surely I am not going for an already posed sculpt and certainly this is what i meant by
      In fact I think I should make his arms and legs a different mesh and rotate them when I need to pose him
    That I would sculpt him symmetrically and make the arms/legs seperate meshes like balls in sockets and pose in the end.
    As for the a-pose, did you mean something like this?

Finally about my 2nd question, yes certainly I am going to sculpt the cloth in Zbrush with thickness but I was asking about the final LP version, if it should be just planes or not.
    @Alemja So if i got that occrent, for the fur you say have both "solid" mesh AND some alpha cards for the extra volume? Actually sounds great!

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it!
    I will keep you updated, have a greay day~
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Yeah that is the pose :)
    The cloth can be two planes on the lopoly, an outside and an inside, that seems to still be the most efficient way to do it.

Cheerio
  • renato.medeiros
  • DanaosC
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress with the baymax giant~ Sculpt's done now I am moving to the cloths. Hope I get it done in time as well as hear your feedback for this WIP.
    Cheers!

Edit: Speaking of the cloth thingies, how do you suggest I go at them? (Speaking about the ones wrapped around the arm/legs, not the ones hanging freely.
    I would use the curve tube/strap or some variation of it and then sculpt "lines" on them so it seems like they are twirtly and with wrinkles but I don't want it to seem too random. Same goes with the knots. Do you guys have an idea apart from what I have in mind? Thanks in advance!
  • DanaosC
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there again guys. I am having trouble modelling stuff that I can't properly see. Do any of you have an idea how should I make that bulge thingy behind his neck? It's like a big knot but I had no idea how to go at it.

• Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    @DanaosC I would probably do something like this to handle the knot:

• DanaosC
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alemja Hey, thanks for the reply! I tried that but honestly I am probably useless when it comes to "abstract" shapes like this so I may skip these knots. I'll see.
    For the time being here's the Low poly version of the sculpt, i am keeping it up!

• DanaosC
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I think I am pretty much done. I can still change the textures and object sizes so tell me if you think something's off.
    I still have to do some stuff like change the lighting and put up some atmosphereric things. I am disliking the metal parts but i always had issues with rendering metal material in marmoset, any tips on that?

Cheers!
  • klown
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 11
    That is fantastic mate, well done!
  • DanaosC
    Offline / Send Message
    @klown
     Thanks dude! I really appreciate it :) It was a nice experience and I hope we can do it again in the future with many more members~

I think that's it for me! I changed his lighting a bit and here it goes!

More angles on Artstation and also a 3D preview here
  • DanaosC
    Offline / Send Message
    Welp, I think that's it for me! :) I changed his lighting a bit and here it goes!

• DanaosC
    Offline / Send Message
    Welp, I think that's it for me! :) I changed his lighting a bit and here it goes!

• renato.medeiros
    Offline / Send Message
    renato.medeiros polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys I finished my project. Very good jobs.