Home General Discussion

Polycount Update - BUGS & SUGGESTIONS

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
adam polycounter lvl 19
Use this thread to post any bugs you notice or suggestions you have on improving your experiences on the site.

Please use images whenever possible so we can see the bugs you're seeing, or to help us understand your suggestions better.

Alternatively, if you wish to keep your thoughts private please send me a Private Message directly.

COMMON/IMPORTANT SUGGESTIONS & BUGS

Below is a list of common suggestions or bugs we're seeing users report in this thread.
  1. The front page won't load on mobile and the forum is loading a default Vanilla skin. The front page should be loading and the forum skin needs to be Polycount themed.
  2. The site could use a pass on overall spacing of information, make things a bit tighter.
  3. Quote button doesn't work.
  4. The WYSIWYG editor can bust formatting at times, making it difficult to fix.
  5. Many users used the 'New Posts' button from vBulletin and would like to see it back.
  6. The notification window that pops up from the bottom left of the screen has white text on a whitebackground, making it illegible. 
  7. There is some confusion over when and how threads get updated. Some users cannot tell where there posts are going when they reply, others have a hard time discerning if a thread is updated since they viewed it last when looking at the thread list. There is an icon indicating this, but it needs to be more apparent.
  8. There is a missing step in the forum breadcrumb that is omitting the main Forum name. See here.
  9. Emoticons are appearing in the Lightbox and when sending content to the front page. This shouldn't happen.
  10. Many users are hoping for redirects from old forum links, as many of them have specific threads bookmarked that no longer work.
  11. This member's name is all kinds of buggered.
  12. Users reported that Facebook & Twitter links is broken. I need to investigate this bug for better details.
  13. Clicking on a front-page news post that comes from a REPLY does not link to the reply, it links to the page it was posted on.
  14. Bring back custom Polycount emoticons.
  15. The website favicon is missing.
  16. Users are reporting some poor performance happening in the WYSIWYG editor.

Replies

• Decordova360
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decordova360 polycounter lvl 9
    Would we be able to add users or keep track of friends/users?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    @Decordova360  That's a feature I'd love to bring to Polycount, absolutely.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    @Joopson Ah! The avatars.. yes those are heavily compressed. I'll ask.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Has profiles been "nerfed"?
    Like seeing their homepage/portfolio or sending a pm to that person without going into the inbox and sending from there.
    If so then this is a suggestion for bringing it back :)
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    @Joopson I notice Adam's avatar is a PNG, try uploading as that format.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    I have a suggestion; current design:

Suggested:

I know that there's the FORUMS link on the top bar, but I think it looks more consistent with the link there too, I clicked too much times on HOME thinking of going to the main forum page and found myself on the first (NEWS) page instead.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Sure man, where should I send it to.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    @Pior - i've expected Polycount to transition to Xenforo like SRK had done since it's a spiritual successor to vB.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    @Adam, when I uploaded an image to a thread it went from a 200kb jpg to a 50kb jpg — the compression is definitely noticeable.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    @Bek  Ah, good to know!
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Adam, actually any kind of link that used to work to polycount no longer works. This is a major deal breaker because when you now do a google search and it comes up with a polycount link the link just takes you to the default page.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    @malcolm I addressed that on another page. We're working on redirects for old url's.

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Suggestion: I wish I didn't get multiple notifications for each new post in the same thread. It would be nice to just get one saying there's new posts in that thread.
  • mtsirides
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mtsirides polycounter lvl 3
    I changed my e-mail last night. Now I'm not sure how's that a problem with the new site update I'm just assuming it has to do something with it. And I'm still waiting for my confirmation link. I checked everywhere: Inbox, Spam and other weird places gmail offers. Anyway just thought I put it out here. :) good work so far the forum and the site look amazing and stunning at the same time! Great Work!
    :smiley: 
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet, just about had a heart attack when I realized the last 15 years of knowledge was lost. Just goes to show how reliant I am on polycount when I have a question related to 3D art. I've sent the e-mail you asked for to your facebook since I don't know your real e-mail anymore.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Adam, when editing a post the text is double spaced making it hard to look at as you type, when you click on save it goes back to single spacing for the forum view. Can you remove the double spacing in the edit view so what you see is what you get.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    huehuehue the staff mus be overwhelmed by all these new troubles but hey.that's part of the deal I guess.:D

SO I noticed 2 problems:

When I attempt quoting someone, the site brings me to a new page but the page make it seems like I wanna create a new thread and not a simple reply.

When I go back on a previous thread, former text I wrote is still there (i think it's the draft It automatically saves).

Good luck.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    didn't see it on main list:

Threads with multiple pages don't show page hotlinks in thread view, allowing you to skip to a specific page or the end (notice the link on the far right will go to latest, but miss the page #s)
  • Nettle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nettle polycounter lvl 5
    Something might be wrong the email system, I'm having trouble verifying my email address, the verification email isn't being sent to me and I tried recovering an old account but I didn't get a password reset for that either. Checked spam folder, clicked to resend it multiple times, etc.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do you subscribe to a thread, I don't get e-mail notifications anymore even after turning everything on in the preferences for notifications.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Small thing perhaps, but when I press CTRL + left/right arrow keys in my post draft, it goes to the beginning/end of the line instead of skipping to each word.  I personally use this frequently when editing my drafts.  CTRL + Backspace works properly still.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    @malcolm  Did you favourite the thread? Click "Add to Favourites" at the top of the post.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    @moose Can I get a picture of that?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    @zacd I am in the same boat. I'd like to see just a "New Posts are waiting" type of notification, too.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    On mobile the there's no way to go to the last page of a thread from the forum view. I much prefer the old system where you can click it manually.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    @Brygelsmack Yeah it seems Vanilla pushed a quick pass on the mobile version. We'll need to debug it properly over the coming days.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12

Could we please have back the 'thread title is green, unless it's read, then it's grey' ? Now they are all grey the whole time.

Secondly, the forum breadcrumbs. There's no link to the forum index.(only to the homepage, or to the category) Except going all the way up to the header.

Thank you.

• namo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    namo polycounter lvl 8
    Is there an edit mssg option once posted.?
    Is there an option to delete the mssg after it is posted?

• Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    The polycount icon is back but it's not transparent so you get a black background. You probably already know but, it doesn't hurt to post about it.
  • grabbity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grabbity polycounter lvl 2
    Seems like all old links to threads are broken.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam, yes it was already added to favourite, maybe from before the site changed. I've turned all the notification preferences on, but basically the only thing that notifies me currently is the little bell icon on the polycount forum itself. In fact I don't even get updates from this thread which is pretty annoying physically looking at each physically to see if you replied back.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Is anyone noticing issues with the WYSIWYG editor? I am getting a lot of formatting errors that I've already passed on to Vanilla, but I'd like to know if anyone else is having issues when formatting their posts.

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Well, I have taken the habit of writing my posts manually, that means typing tags and other things like quote marks by hand. It seems that old "[quote]" tags for example don't work anymore. Is this voluntary ? Looks like now it's just regular html, but to type it you have to switch the edition mode.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Couple of things. First, clicking the Quote button directs you to start a new thread. It should quote the post instead. Second, using Ctrl+Left and Ctrl+Right on Firefox acts like the Home and End keys--can you reproduce this?

I would also appreciate a "Sign Out" button that's got words on it, just like the "Sign In" button.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    So are links fixable, or should we be deleting all our old bookmarks atp?

• LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Same as GHOSTDETECTOR sayed
    I like the old system where new/updated threads were green while threads that I've recently visited grays out. (That way I could look at previous threads at a glance) copy.

I want this back if possible!!!
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    I think it would be good to use more green (or other colors) in general. 
    Currently it's so grayscale that it looks like polycount is eternally mourning over somebody's death.
    It strikes me as example of blindly following the trend of using as few colors as possible - even though using more colors would allow users to distinguish different elements more easily.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it would be nice if we could favourite an entire sub-forum. I'd love to go to my home page and just see all the animation posts pop up, since I most frequent that sub. 
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    It would be really cool to have a subscription option to only be notified when the creator posted! 
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    @PolyHertz  We're investigating.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    @adam I think I see why the icons are not appearing for G+ and Flag (the black button reference I made a while back). I could be wrong on this, but it looks like you are running font-awesome for the icons, but I don't see font-awesome getting loaded.
  • Nelios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For anyone who needs a fix for all the old links, I made a quick & dirty script which redirects you, automatically, to the correct link. You can install it here.
    I also converted it to a bookmarklet in case you don't want to/can't install Tampermonkey etc. Simply select all the text and drag it on your bookmark bar. Next time you visit a broken link, simply click on that bookmark and it should redirect you to the correct one.

The wiki has tons of those broken links :'( Hope that's useful to somebody.

If the script doesn't work for a specific link, tell me via pm and I'll update asap.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I was kind of hoping for a 'like' type feature. I know there's much more on your plate, at the moment, but I'd love to see it added at some point
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    I'm probably going to cover a lot of stuff that was previous mentioned:

• Seeing who the last poster in a thread from the main forum page
    • No detailed timestamps on posts (although seems you can still find it by hovering over the date on the post)
    • Usernames in allcaps
    • When editing a post, everything is double spaced, making it kinda hard to see how the format will be
    • No post preview when editing posts
    • Share post on google+ button is all black (might just be me?)
    • Spacing of the layout, size of the font.
    • Redundent Buttons, (the polycount name and the news button immediately to the right of it both go to the front page)
    • GIANT avatars for the OP of a thread, and unless the avatar restrictions are increased (haven't checked yet) I usually am face to face with a pixelated mess.
    • Reply/Quote floating next to posts and not at the bottom (I probaby just need to get used to that, but I feel its taking up an unnecessary amount of space)
    • I don't see the value of the "toggle full page" reply option.
    • Main typeface is very round and doesn't lend itself to large walls of text easily, not to mention the size is too large for PCs
    • Forum ranks!
    • No indication of whether a post was edited or not
    • Post numbers to hyperlink to individual posts (clicking on the date of the post does something similar, but I find I usually only want an individual post and not a quick jump to it)
    • All of the account options should be on one page, there's not a lot.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    @adam  : 

Understand that the far right column that changes on hover serves a similar function, and allowing sticky-first-post somewhat fixes the problem, but having the ability to hop to a specific page (story: "i remember on page 4....") was nice. Maybe I'm one of the few who liked that feature of showing the page lengths /oldman. Downside here is when clicking on a thread i don't have an immediate sense of "what i'm about to get myself into." In the end, its more of a navigation and usability thing to reduce clicks, but I would think showing the page numbers could have a psychological effect on people and which threads they do or do not click on :)
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm with Moose on this one.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    @moose Can definitely consider bringing it back when we make another round on layouts.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Although, that only showed you the first 3 pages...?
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about an option to change the order or style of notifications? Again more scrolling. If I haven't been on in a day, I'm likely to want to pick up where I left off, but the most recent is at the top, so if there's more than 5 replies, then I'm scrolling back up or even backing up a page.

I'd kind of like to see a "n Replies to [thread]", once things get rolling again and we start fav'ing more threads.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    when I hit reply it does nothing (expecting the comment box to at least display the @ handle of the person I'm replying to), when I hit quote it takes me to make a new topic. I hope these are known bugs! Good show in general, PC overhaul was long overdue! Props for keeping the database intact.
This discussion has been closed.