Home Adobe Substance

Substance Designer - Master Thread

Replies

• Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Froyok wrote: »

Saw it yesterday at Siggraph. Extremely impressive, of course I think it was running off 4 Quadros so I would be curious to see what its like in the hands of a more realistic rig.

Good stuff though!
  • teho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teho polycounter lvl 7
    Jerc wrote: »
    You can try deleting the thumbs cache file at:
    C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Allegorithmic\Substance Designer\5\databases
    thanks mate, it helped!
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    teho wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    don't know is it a right place to ask but I'll try, maybe it's a common problem. I changed the size of icons to Large in Library/Noises, and all icons are became "S" logo... I thought need to wait while Substance rerender it, but it never happened. I'm using latest version. How to restore icons? Thanks.
    Jerc wrote: »
    You can try deleting the thumbs cache file at:
    C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Allegorithmic\Substance Designer\5\databases

You can also simply hit the "Rebuild database" button in the preferences of Designer. :)
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Dataday wrote: »
    it was running off 4 Quadros so I would be curious to see what its like in the hands of a more realistic rig.

The speed difference is surprisingly pretty small between the NVidia rig and my laptop.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Is it possible to reference an inputs width/height within a graph? Trying to see if I can feed it into a uniform color to match the input width/height. Getting around it right now by using a blend node. Guess could set the graph size but was just wondering.

Awesome stuff guys! Looking forward to that tutorial Rogelio
  • Othelnic12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Othelnic12 polycounter lvl 5
    My substance is paint wall
    semen-almashev-qip-shot-screen-128.jpg?1439652647
    semen-almashev-qip-shot-screen-127.jpg?1439652645
  • teho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teho polycounter lvl 7
    sorry for noob question, but you guys use rounded cube from substance designer (if so, where it is storing in what folder?) or just create your own? thx.
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    Trying to make a texture for a wooden telephone pole. This was my second attempt at making an albedo for it. Getting that proper mix of tones has been challenging and still not sure it's where I want it to be yet.

nPyjlik.jpg
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Swarm22 wrote: »
    Trying to make a texture for a wooden telephone pole. This was my second attempt at making an albedo for it. Getting that proper mix of tones has been challenging and still not sure it's where I want it to be yet.

nPyjlik.jpg

Looks very good.

Crits: I would expect it to be much less waxy and the normals to be much stronger. You could be going for a specific looking pole, but that was my gut reaction.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Wondering what the best way to do this is:

I want to use the splatter tool but with multiple shape inputs. For example I have sculpted 4 little rocks and I want to splatter them around my texture. I know I can blend together 4 different splatter layouts, but I feel like a multi input splatter node would not be to difficult to make. Any tips, or recommendations for doing that?

Example:
    fgtDUGp.png
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgvinny polycounter lvl 9
    Just finished my procedural eye tutorial serie :
    https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=6072.msg29482#msg29482

Hope you like it ;-)
  • Uzziel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uzziel polycounter lvl 7
    BARDLER wrote: »
    Wondering what the best way to do this is:

I want to use the splatter tool but with multiple shape inputs. For example I have sculpted 4 little rocks and I want to splatter them around my texture. I know I can blend together 4 different splatter layouts, but I feel like a multi input splatter node would not be to difficult to make. Any tips, or recommendations for doing that?

You can indeed use 4 "Splatter" nodes (with different"Random seed" values), then combine them using "Blend" nodes in "Max" blending mode.

Another way to do it is to use a fxmap (and do it in the functions); that's how we did to create the splatter node.

I made a small example you can download here, hope it helps:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/lmumfaxmwmibxoh/splatter_example.zip?dl=1

laL8yDH.jpg
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! wrote: »
    Looks very good.

Crits: I would expect it to be much less waxy and the normals to be much stronger. You could be going for a specific looking pole, but that was my gut reaction.

Thanks for the crits, I appreciate it. I see that waxiness you're talking about, gonna try and get rid of that. The roughness should probably be mostly white, these things don't shine much if at all.
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

nPyjlik.jpg

Depending on the age of the pole, I think the waxiness could be desirable. A lot of the utility poles I've seen around town tend to have a creosote coating on them unless they're super old and dried out. I would like to see the normal detail on the wood grain be stronger, but overall, I totally buy that it's a utility pole. I think just a bit more contrast in the colour map and roughness/gloss would really push it to awesome-town.

182946877_180156_lp.jpg
  • snoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snoop polycounter lvl 7
    Here's my third substance, starting to learn more stuff :o
    (Third substance in UE4)
    substancetiles.png?lgfp=3000

Here was my second substance:
    (Second substance in toolbag 2)
    screenshot001__1_.png?lgfp=3000
  • Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    Hello, I have one question,

Is there any way to do this procedurally? (Get random grayscale values to an user created pattern (imported form photoshop))

463d21e847.jpg
    to something like this:
    482d8a18be.jpg

Thank you so much! <333
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Hi Dvonio,

You could possibly do that through a pixel processor BUT in this case I'd try to replicate the pattern inside substance itself:

SD_Pattern_00.png
  • Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks bruno, Im pretty new to substance designer so I'll have a look at pixel processor, thanks for replicating it, im just looking to be able to do that to any pattern I create (I can create one pretty fast on photoshop, but not the grayscale parts).

Thanks! do you have any more information about how I can do that with pixel processor? Thanks <3
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a quick Ground Tile for an old Substancce Weekly, critiques encouraged!

1MCpVYO
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Hi Quack!
    The only thing I can point out is that there's a noticeable overlay on top of it all that's very continuous. If you tile the texture a few times it'll probably be very visible.
    Maybe you could do a directional warp with a random colored tile generator to break that up? Otherwise looking amazing!
  • Bruno Afonseca
    @ Dvonio - I really don't have much experience with the pixel processor so I'm not the right person to ask. But you can create these patterns in a few seconds in Substance and skip Photoshop altogether. Patterns in fact are one of the strongest points of SD
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    @ Dvonio / Bruno, sorry guys, I've been trying to do that for 2 days and Oblomov killed my hopes, it's not possible to do that (colorize the patterns with random colors), at least not with the regular nodes.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Uzziel wrote: »
    You can indeed use 4 "Splatter" nodes (with different"Random seed" values), then combine them using "Blend" nodes in "Max" blending mode.

Another way to do it is to use a fxmap (and do it in the functions); that's how we did to create the splatter node.

I made a small example you can download here, hope it helps:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/lmumfaxmwmibxoh/splatter_example.zip?dl=1

Thank you! The FX map setup is exactly what I needed.

• Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Quack!
    The only thing I can point out is that there's a noticeable overlay on top of it all that's very continuous. If you tile the texture a few times it'll probably be very visible.
    Maybe you could do a directional warp with a random colored tile generator to break that up? Otherwise looking amazing!

Thanks Bruno! I hadn't thought of the large forms tiling poorly but that makes perfect sense. I think in game we would want to establish those via some decal or material blending. Thanks!
  • Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    @NicolasW Thanks, Maybe someday <3
  • Ponk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ponk polycounter lvl 8
    Playing with pixel processor. Do you guys know it's possibile to make 2 outputs in it?
  • Uzziel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uzziel polycounter lvl 7
    Ponk wrote: »
    Playing with pixel processor. Do you guys know it's possibile to make 2 outputs in it?

The pixel processor node will only generate one output (grayscale or color).

What you can do (if you need to generate several grayscale outputs) is to store them in the different channels (RGBA) to output them all at the same time from your Pixel Processor. Then use a Grayscale Conversion node to extract them.
  • Ponk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ponk polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks Uzziel. This works nice.

Next question. How to make my own function nodes and nest them in pixel processor? Something like those built-in nodes with star icon, "Degrees To Radians" for example.

EDIT: Nevermind. I got it. Right click on Substance Package in Explorer > New > Function.
  • snoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snoop polycounter lvl 7
    fourth substance

screenshot007.png?sbsr=c64bdd755a1ff2b8eaac541eeb7b5247561040a03da5ffcd&lgfp=3000
    screenshot008.png?sbsr=56f3bd6637159f60a925d31479e77a3f7979126ddb7186be&lgfp=3000

i had originally set out to make it floor tiles but wound up making it look a lot more like a stone wall, but i guess here's how it would look on the ground. definitely don't know what i was thinking making it in a wall-like pattern thinking it would look anything but like a wall. oh well.
    screenshot009.png?sbsr=8f177b05b53891fa95486735ff3d80fe7a3c0fe2f1af4f18&lgfp=3000

also, damn, i was not aware of the resolution when i uploaded these, sorry about that.

the edge chips are a bit too great in number and noisy looking too, but im ready to just start another substance d:
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    is there any way to move a few points at once in SVG node? or to select more than one point?
  • PLyczkowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PLyczkowski polycounter lvl 14
    Forgot to post this here: Smart Material Tutorial/Template (.SBS) - Generic Rubber

Learn how to create reusable smart substance materials for Substance Painter in Substance Designer.

This .sbs file can be used both as a tutorial, since it contains a lot of comments explaining what each part does and what to watch out for, and as a template - you can just copy parts of it into your graphs.

Additionally contains following utility graphs inside (with descriptions):

Power Control
    Power Control Grayscale
    Height Adjust
    Scale Changer Grayscale No Tile

You can copy them to your utility package, reuse and modify.

001.PNGshot_150831_191026.png

https://gumroad.com/l/WCuXy
  • Yondr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yondr polycounter lvl 8
    Hi!
    When i add custom library paths, in projects settings, default staff disappear from library viewer.
    What did i do wrong?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Yondr wrote: »
    Hi!
    When i add custom library paths, in projects settings, default staff disappear from library viewer.
    What did i do wrong?

Can you detail a bit more the setup in your preferences ?
  • Yondr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yondr polycounter lvl 8
    Can you detail a bit more the setup in your preferences ?
    My fault, all work as well, but database rebuild take a lot of time for me (~2 hour) and standard assets come bake at the end.
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    11925997_10153178823993037_5422770546023296596_n.jpg?oh=97e78686a23e7873b1931aebe82b0297&oe=5668BFED

Hi everyone,

Here is my Gnomon Tutorial on procedural texture creation. Been working on this on and off. Hope you all like it. I hope I do not put anyone to sleep :D

Link here

Description

In this lecture, Rogelio Olguin will introduce the basics of texture creation with Substance Designer. Rogelio begins by showing the steps to create height information, the initial foundation of the texture. The design of a cobble stone texture is then demonstrated from start to finish. During the process, Rogelio goes over his techniques and workflow for creating simple tools that combine into one final texture that can have endless procedural possibilities. You will get an insight into Rogelio's texturing philosophies when it comes to the visual interest of texture creation. Ultimately the goal of the lecture is to share powerful Substance techniques that can be used to create virtually any texture.

Chapters
    1. Introduction
    2. Substance Designer Basics
    3. Cobble Creation
    4. Cobble Dirt
    5. Pebbles Dead Twigs
    6. Cobble Colorize Part 1
    7. Cobble Colorize Part 2
    8. Cobble Roughness
    Thanks to Gnomon and Specifically Daniele Volpe at Gnomon on helping me with last min fixes.

If anyone has questions let me know I am open to answer ill do my best to answer them in concise and as quickly as possible.

Please go to this thread for questions or comments.

link here
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses polycounter lvl 13
    Congrats on the release man!
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been having an issue with this stepped effect in my height maps caused by gradients which in turn translate to a very noisy stepped effect in my normal maps. Has anybody noticed this or know how to get rid of it? It's the same effect you'd see when using a Quantize node. You can barely see it in the height map unless you zoom in but the normal map picks it up very easily.
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Been having an issue with this stepped effect in my height maps caused by gradients which in turn translate to a very noisy stepped effect in my normal maps. Has anybody noticed this or know how to get rid of it? It's the same effect you'd see when using a Quantize node. You can barely see it in the height map unless you zoom in but the normal map picks it up very easily.

This is mostly due to 16 bit vs 8 bit make sure to keep your gray scale information at 16bit and set your project at 16bit.
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio wrote: »
    This is mostly due to 16 bit vs 8 bit make sure to keep your gray scale information at 16bit and set your project at 16bit.

Thanks, I didn't even think about that. Much appreciated.
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this is what i've been kinda doodling the last couple of days. I didn't really have any direction when I started, I was just messing around and this is where it's ended up. It's kinda cool because I inadvertently ended up with controls for how many rocks and how big or small they can be, exposing less or more ground as i'd like.

Osalwie.jpg
  • keosar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keosar polycounter lvl 16
    I've been working on a Brick Substance for my London scene.

f5c4YtG.jpg
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    I made various stuff these days..

lGX0NTf.gif

jFetrqV.gif

To finally make this pattern! (you probably don't see the link, but there is one ;) )

4q5H9NA.jpg
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses polycounter lvl 13
    These are way too cool Nicolas! Are you saying that the first two tools are connected to the cobblestone pattern?

Also... planning to give these out like the other ones?? :D
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    making some improvements with my median filter node (now you can increase the pixel range):

(Art by David Connely)
    VG_MedianFilter2.gif

VG_MedianFilter.gif
  • Shriken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shriken polycounter lvl 11
    I've been busy as of late, but I just started working on trying some more hard surface shapes than my usual affair, I want to try damaging them as if sculpted next.

david-nicholls-pbr-hardsurface.jpg

More shots over at my artstation! https://www.artstation.com/artwork/pbr-procedural-hard-surface
  • boumay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boumay polycounter lvl 6
    Hi shriken,
    I'm really interested about doing the same golden sculpture, may I ask you if you have any tutorial on how to achieve this?
    Thank you.
  • Shriken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shriken polycounter lvl 11
    boumay wrote: »
    Hi shriken,
    I'm really interested about doing the same golden sculpture, may I ask you if you have any tutorial on how to achieve this?
    Thank you.

Hey boumay, I'm actually going to be using some of this stuff to help some students get to know designer. It's very easy stuff so I'll compile it and host it somewhere when we are done :).

In short though I'm mostly combining shapes and blends together with splattering about and transforming for final placement to make it a bit more unique. PM me if you want details and I'll see if I can get something together.
  • vincent_van_gog
    I have made 1001 Free Gradient maps you can download them on

https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=6711.0

p4PboY3.jpg
  • boumay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boumay polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you very much shriken for your help :)
    But I'm afraid to disturb you, I'm a complete newbie in SD and SP and asking you details will take too much time and effort for you, so I think it's better to wait for your tutorial (lol).
    Btw, I saw in the latest SP release, that they were paintng this kind of gold material, the amazing thing was that they were painting all the channel at once, and we could see the final result in real time (color, gloss, displ, ao and so on). Really cool! I would like to learn this asap.