Home Adobe Substance

Substance Designer - Master Thread

Replies

• Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Testing out the projection substance on s a simple bridge. I now have it set up so that each individual uv island can have modified projection directions and circle centers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtVBVcD88xY&feature=youtu.be

Holy shit that's cool!
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    FpMxF7.png
    Worn and clean variants on my wood flooring substance :D

More images/Get it for free
  • roboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roboy polycounter lvl 11
    Tactile pavement - something different I hope!

will probably add some dirt when I have some time :D

tactile_pavement_preview.jpg
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    @somedoggy I love your stone texture! Very detailed, I like the variation in color :).

A note on the wood, it feels very noisy right now. That may be due to the high contrast between the lighter and darker sections of the wood grain. Maybe pull back on those a bit? The ..not grout but spaces between the wood planks looks very aliased. Not sure if that is the angle we are seeing it from or if the high contrast issue is causing it.

I like where this is going though, keep it up :).

@roboy very cool! It is awesome seeing people branching out into new materials. Are these tiles supposed to be heavy plastic, concrete, or metal? I can't quite tell here. Have you thought of adding details like gum, trash, or dropped drink or food stains?
  • roboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roboy polycounter lvl 11
    @luthyn thanks man! it's meant to be concrete so I guess I need to tweak some values and the rendering to make it appear so

the white marks are actually gum but I guess it's not very readable - I suppose I ought to darken them slightly and add more?

I'll do another pass and dirty it up with stains and such! :D
  • ThingThing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks really handy :)
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    luthyn wrote: »
    @somedoggy I love your stone texture! Very detailed, I like the variation in color :).

A note on the wood, it feels very noisy right now. That may be due to the high contrast between the lighter and darker sections of the wood grain. Maybe pull back on those a bit? The ..not grout but spaces between the wood planks looks very aliased. Not sure if that is the angle we are seeing it from or if the high contrast issue is causing it.

I like where this is going though, keep it up :).
    Thanks for the feedback! Glad you liked the cobble.

The idea with the wood was that it was meant to be very worn, exposing unstained wood underneath. At least the base Substance is. The wear can be easily dialed up or down by tweaking the parameters in the graph. The worn look may not be coming across well at the moment so I'll see about fixing it up. Back to references! The aliasing is a result of applying tessellation and it failing miserably hahahaha. A higher polycount mesh should do the trick.

It's difficult atm because the color accuracy on the monitors I'm mostly doing these on is very poor. Hopefully calibrating them won't be too troublesome!
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgvinny polycounter lvl 9
  • roboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roboy polycounter lvl 11
    So just did another pass on the tactile paving... what do you guys think? :)

tactile_pavement_preview_new.jpg
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    FnSpeC.png
    v2 clean

hopefully I'll manage to be satisfied and release tomorrow!

edit: released!
    oi5Vl3.png
    Click to get it baby!
  • armagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    armagon polycounter lvl 11
    Jerc wrote: »
    Cool stuff guys.
    I guess I'll share some of my filters and textures too.
    This one is some kind of rock texture generator, you can easily swap out the normal map and AO bakes for it to adapt to new geometry.

The substance: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9804576/RockSubstance.7z
    The mesh: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3bg0c4nneau266g/Rock.FBX

jjfjyj7.png

Can you reupload this? :)
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    armagon wrote: »
    Can you reupload this? :)

If I am not wrong, it was part of one of the last substance Live Monthly drop.
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    Still trying to make a decent albedo, but the normal/height is looking pretty good if I should say so myself.

screenshot001.png
    screenshot002.png
    screenshot000.png
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    Wooden floor I made today for a scene i'm working on. You know, it's funny. I can make a fan pattern no problem but Herringbone? Makes me want to tear my hair out. I just don't get it.
    UwoVPcj.jpg
  • PLyczkowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PLyczkowski polycounter lvl 14
    somedoggy wrote: »
    v2 clean

hopefully I'll manage to be satisfied and release tomorrow!

edit: released!

Click to get it baby!

That looks great!
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    @somedoggy the update looks great! Downloading it now so I can dig in and see what you did.

@Kosai106 I like where you are going, but the tiles look a bit puffy? Not sure if that is because of tessellation or what is going on. What does your height look like?
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    luthyn wrote: »
    @Kosai106 I like where you are going, but the tiles look a bit puffy? Not sure if that is because of tessellation or what is going on. What does your height look like?

It's on purpose, I wanted the blocks to look like that, although it might be a tad too much on the hex and herringbone patterns.

It'll be possible to change later once all the right parameters are exposed.
  • Benmx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, just made this little tile floor, any feedback is welcome
    screenshot000.png
  • Raane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raane polycounter lvl 3
    Swarm22 wrote: »
    Wooden floor I made today for a scene i'm working on. You know, it's funny. I can make a fan pattern no problem but Herringbone? Makes me want to tear my hair out. I just don't get it.
    UwoVPcj.jpg

That looks really good man, looks like you've nailed it.
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artist_in_a_box polycounter lvl 7
    That looks really good man, looks like you've nailed it.

Haha, made me lol.

Gotta say Swarm22 and Somedoggy, those are absolutely beautiful, restored my faith in SD tbh.

Also Somedoggy very good of you to upload that.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    UwoVPcj.jpg

Splendid !
    I love it ! :poly101:
  • noosence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noosence polycounter lvl 9
    Very impressive work everyone! Here is a muddy ground I've been working on, hope you enjoy =]

CWKycDm.jpg
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    UwoVPcj.jpg
    Very realistic! Congrats!
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    roboy wrote: »
    So just did another pass on the tactile paving... what do you guys think? :)

tactile_pavement_preview_new.jpg
    Reminds me of lego! Would fit a subway environment nicely too.
  • noosence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noosence polycounter lvl 9
    Posted this in the WAYWO thread but I thought I would put it here as well. My final pass on a muddy ground texture, crits welcome!

XdZOKAm.gif
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    UwoVPcj.jpg
    Nice work :) I assume this is just the albedo, but the value range and subtle detail is great. I think the wood could use some variation in the grain though, and the gaps between planks aren't really realistic. They'd generally fit snug.

You've inspired me to make some nodes that handle herringbone patterns! I've been getting more into the meat of SD, trying to up my efficiency and create a library of reusable things. Made nodes for 1:2 and 1:3 ratios and there's a few adjustable things for them. I also broke out the wood grain from my floor substance in order to make it more edit friendly and reusable.
    WTsdJs.gif
    ieCI6S.png
    This is just a quick setup so yall get the idea. The bottom output of the nodes is a mask for separating grain direction.

Also, I started on a shingles material a few days ago and will release it when I can manage to get it done :D
    3GasVh.png
  • kwshipman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwshipman polycounter lvl 9
    Diamond_plate_001.jpg

working on some diamond plate. Amount of rust and diamond tiling amount will be exposed.
  • shrogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shrogg polycounter lvl 12
    jJ4WiOk.png

Made a cracked earth substance for my first original substance since I got Substance Designer in a steam Sale (40% off, woo!)
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    somedoggy wrote: »
    Nice work :) I assume this is just the albedo, but the value range and subtle detail is great. I think the wood could use some variation in the grain though, and the gaps between planks aren't really realistic. They'd generally fit snug.

You've inspired me to make some nodes that handle herringbone patterns! I've been getting more into the meat of SD, trying to up my efficiency and create a library of reusable things. Made nodes for 1:2 and 1:3 ratios and there's a few adjustable things for them. I also broke out the wood grain from my floor substance in order to make it more edit friendly and reusable.
    WTsdJs.gif
    ieCI6S.png
    This is just a quick setup so yall get the idea. The bottom output of the nodes is a mask for separating grain direction.

Also, I started on a shingles material a few days ago and will release it when I can manage to get it done :D
    3GasVh.png

Hey, thanks for the feedback and to everyone else for the compliments.

That was actually a screengrab from the max viewport with the albedo and normal applied. It's not really a great way to display it as i'm sure you know. The gaps in the wood are actually pretty snug looking in SD, it looks strange here because I cranked the normal a little too much it looks like.

Iv'e got a question though regarding what you're working on here and wouldn't mind your opinion. I've only been using SD for a month now so there is a lot I don't know. It saves a lot of time to have these nodes handy to make quick patterns and masks but i'm cautious to use them because i'm afraid if I keep using them i'm not going to know how to make them myself if I ever needed to.
    Take for example this herringbone pattern. I know how to do it right now, but I know if I ever start using pre made nodes I'm going to forget how to do it very quickly. Is this ever a concern for you at all?
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Hey, thanks for the feedback and to everyone else for the compliments.

That was actually a screengrab from the max viewport with the albedo and normal applied. It's not really a great way to display it as i'm sure you know. The gaps in the wood are actually pretty snug looking in SD, it looks strange here because I cranked the normal a little too much it looks like.

Iv'e got a question though regarding what you're working on here and wouldn't mind your opinion. I've only been using SD for a month now so there is a lot I don't know. It saves a lot of time to have these nodes handy to make quick patterns and masks but i'm cautious to use them because i'm afraid if I keep using them i'm not going to know how to make them myself if I ever needed to.
    Take for example this herringbone pattern. I know how to do it right now, but I know if I ever start using pre made nodes I'm going to forget how to do it very quickly. Is this ever a concern for you at all?
    I don't worry about that. I actually am constantly referencing myself on how I made part of a particular graph, and that's a good sign that it's something that would be beneficial to add to a library of generators. As far as not remembering things, I think the important thing is understanding a way of thinking rather than specific techniques. If I ever need to relearn anything I can always look back at my premade nodes, but most of the time I just need to pump out good work and making my own tools to that end is a big part of what makes Substance great. Like I've been using it for a few months now and am just getting into these more dynamic things such as the pixel processor or fx maps. That says a lot to how many ways you can approach your materials :)
  • acealmighty13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acealmighty13 polycounter lvl 10
    I'm just now getting into Substance Designer and I'm in awe of some of these images and textures. Last year those images would have scared me off and I wouldn't be messing with SD at all. Now, I want to learn and soak it all in. I've been through Allegorithmic's YouTube series to get me started and figure out what is what, but if anyone has a link to share to help me get started with sci fi textures, tilleable texture tutorials, or just your own personal tips for using SD, let me know, I'd love to hear it and start using them.
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    Loosely inspired by Destiny, a dark stone tile. Kind of looks like obsidian in regolith. This will be a free substance once its done.

Dark_Stone_Tiles_02.png

Dark_Stone_Tiles_04.png

Crosspost from here.
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my new tutorial (divided in 2 vids) to reproject a decal on new UVs without affecting the decal map itself :

Part 01:
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqswIoI_fNs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqswIoI_fNs[/ame]

Part 02 :
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1HrVPOf9j4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1HrVPOf9j4[/ame]
  • Jorgex3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jorgex3D polycounter lvl 4
    Hi polycounters :P i just started to "play" with SD 2 or 3 days ago and i´ve done 3 substances (im sooo bad at procedural or nodal programs).

I was helped by some tutorials and im newbie.. but critics are welcome :)
    pa1YDioBp
    ippXaqahp
    p1CZREp6p

And im finding some tutorials to make wood and water or other liquids on bricks cracks and clefts, if u can help me would be nice ^^

Thanks.

PD: And sorry for my english im quite bad atm :S
  • Raane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raane polycounter lvl 3
    Your cracks look nice, but with a lot of things on starting tiles and bricks they just flow across betwen each tile.
    A simple way to fix this is take a duplicate of the node you used to make the tiles, take everything except luminance variation out. You then link this to the intensity input on a directional warp and play with the intensity slider.
    The warp will then push the cracks in the direction of the warp by an amount decided by the luminance of the second tile set. This means each tile has a different crack pattern.

Hope this makes sense, if you need anything clarifying just ask.
  • Twister3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twister3 polycounter lvl 12
    Jorgex3D wrote: »
    Hi polycounters :P i just started to "play" with SD 2 or 3 days ago and i´ve done 3 substances (im sooo bad at procedural or nodal programs).

I was helped by some tutorials and im newbie.. but critics are welcome :)

[Pics]

And im finding some tutorials to make wood and water or other liquids on bricks cracks and clefts, if u can help me would be nice ^^

Thanks.

PD: And sorry for my english im quite bad atm :S

It looks to me as if green channel is flipped. You can change the orientation to DirectX or OpenGL, depending on your target platform.
  • Noxy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I picked this up a few weeks ago, viewed a plethora of tutorials and went ahead and made my first substance.

psgFSZe.jpg

I've also been working on a brushed concrete material.

ABt17PR.jpg
  • electricsauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    electricsauce polycounter lvl 11
    Had to import the textures manually but I got some projection materials working with Unreal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwBzA6OOvrs&feature=youtu.be
  • electricsauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    electricsauce polycounter lvl 11
    Something else I've been working on. I've been trying to find an efficient way of giving fractured objects a skin with a different interior material.

rnkD-3BUlcq6_q_hf69tPDgrG3z5ijU_dmcmUr02bUo=w1788-h1009-nouYQOGtmpCjfAB5H6NuA2aekf2W81Or4kQf1-h5R6seE=w1785-h1009-no
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Crosspost

Dirt & Pebbles material.

Ground_Dirt_Pebbles_Cylinder_Rev_07_Layout_Comp_Josh_Lynch.jpg
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    Fantastic Josh! I love the addition of the 'pine needle' type details.
  • Daveyploo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daveyploo polycounter lvl 4
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Hello,

Been using substance for a few days, id like to dive in deeper to explore how to assimilate it to my own pipeline. So with that said, ive attached a video at the bottom. Everything so far has been going pretty smoothly, substance is incredibly powerful, and i feel like a retard for not using it before.

So my question is this, ive created a substance that uses several patterns to create different textures. And so im wondering how exactly i could use these inside of unreal 4 without having to save multiple substances. So far what ive done is use a multi greyscale switch, and exposed the paramater to toggle between the patterns. And all that is working well. But how could i go ahead and create a material instance and for example, have crazy cobble stones. Then use another instance material but change that to be bricks? Im starting to guess that the solution to this is to import multiple substances. But thats why im asking.

https://youtu.be/e2wcNUdkJYA
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    In UE4, you can create new graph instances of your substance through a right click on the main Susbtance asset. Each instance will act as a copy of the original substance and will be updated if the original is updated.
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses polycounter lvl 13
    Raul!! What's up man!

Yea SD is awesome!! So yea Jeremie's explanation is already pretty thorough. One thing I tend to do is put the instance and the associated textures inside a folder. It's been awhile since I used an sbsar in ue4 but before all the textures would end up in the same folder and it became hard to track.

It's been way too long! How are you digging SD? It's crazy how much you can do with it right?
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you Jerc! That is pretty straight forward.

Sup arvin! First, thanks for putting together those substance tutorials, they helped me get up to speed. Those a another couple of tutorials helped me greatly! Im currently figuring out all this like a noob, ha! But is pretty cool so far.

So what im interested on, besides the power to create textures super quick. Is the integration of these substances files in packages like modo and maya, for when i do world building. Havent seen much docs about that, so thats what i am poking aorund now. Seem to me that there is great power in importing the substances themselves. But is that really optimal? Vs brining in textures one at a time? and just have a few master materials. Anyone around here messed with that?
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses polycounter lvl 13
    Hey man! Thanks!

Umm.. so as far as integration into a dcc I'm not too sure about the workflow speed it'll give you. When you're using it in UE and I think most of the DCCs it's using the CPU rather than the GPU to evaluate. Which gives a slowdown being able to preview.

I think most people use a more specific material and use the parameters to get a tweak rather than a completely new material.

So for example on an art test I did I created a brick mat that mixed with stucco/plaster. To reduce tiling I created a variant and blended it with the original. Had I more time, I probably would've gone with a few more variants with sbsar's being so cheap storage wise.
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was looking to do large kind of worn slate tiles with this one. Never really attempted that kind of look before, the flaking stone. I think it turned out alright.

RWjBCCV.jpg
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Making an heightmap "slicer" (not sure if it could be useful, but at least, it's funky :-))

heightCube.gif